Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Today I :yotj:'d my way from six months CJ intern experience to a full-time salaried with benefits IT management position somehow.

Pretty much waiting for SWAT to kick down my front door or something because I find it hard to believe that this is actually a thing that is happening without a serious catch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

How much does it actually cost a company for secret?

This is a lot like "How much does it cost to hire someone?" It takes a non negligible amount of time split up between multiple people, and not every applicant gets a clearance.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GOOCHY posted:

I'm in the same boat. It's been many months without a peep on a TS. I've heard it'll go that way. You hear nothing for months and months and then all of the sudden you have your interview and it's done.

I finished up all of my interviews a year ago, too. My paperwork was submitted in November of 12, interviews were February-March 13, and it's still in processing right now. Snowden and the Navy Yard shooter apparently brought the investigating contractors under a lot of scrutiny, and the shutdown certainly didn't help, so I think there's an enormous backlog right now.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Got laid off in November, didn't hear a peep from anyone until February and then had a pile of people beating down my door. Don't get laid off in the ending months/new year. It sucks, no one is hiring, they're too busy using up their vacation days and looking at budget freezes for the year, and creating new budgets for the new year.

Got a new job and this was my first week. It looks like I have a lot of opportunity here. However, documentation is sparse, and being the new guy who knows nothing, why not jump down the rabbit hole of documentation as I'm learning and be productive. I've got enough rope here, so why not.

I need some suggestions on simply documenting applications, and their issues. Some are client/server, some are simply stand alone. Some connect to large xray machines and such. I'm looking at about fifty applications and related hardware possibly. We have an internal wiki that has some stuff on it, but i'd like to make it more useful. I've begun looking into ITIL, which my last job scratched upon. But I'd like someone who has gone down this path to offer up some suggestions if possible. I've got a nice ITIL User Manual template that seems to be a good starting point. Are there any books specific to application documentation that might help out, what type of services to use like wiki, sharepoint, etc? I've got some good google results, but the more resources the better.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
If you want to do it the ITIL way I'd start collecting information to eventually put into a CMDB. For instance, information about a particular piece of hardware. Could be physical location, serials, OS, ilo/drac info, ips, etc. Then I'd start collecting any troubleshooting information your co-workers may have and distilling them down into SOPs held in a centralized location. I can't recommend any particular software because all my previous companies had proprietary implementations of this stuff but I think Spiceworks does some inventory management.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Configuration_management_database

It's a real pain in the rear end to keep up to date, but having data like this is really useful. Where I work we keep practically everything in a database which can show dependencies. Like you can search a particular DNS entry and find out what machine it is and where it is in the datacenter (tile coordinate, rack number, what switch its on etc)

pram fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 1, 2014

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hopefully it's time for me to :yotj:. A company close to where I live is applying for a load of new IT staff (they have an open day coming up soon) and I fit the description for their software technician role to a T: graduate looking to get into IT, computer literate, etc etc with a mind to developing and advancing, any applied knowledge a plus (all of which I can do/demonstrate). Company looks great and someone I used to work with is in HR. She is aware of my competence and wants me to notify her once I've applied, which will be later this evening.

I have of course borne in mind the advice of this thread re: attitude and enthusiasm, etc, as well as making a brief but comprehensive list of applied skills that I can elaborate on in an interview. Along with my woman-on-the-inside I'm feeling pretty hopeful!

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 2, 2014

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Hopefully it's time for me to :yotj:. A company close to where I live is applying for a load of new IT staff (they have an open day coming up soon) and I fit the description for their software technician role to a T: graduate looking to get into IT, computer literate, etc etc with a mind to developing and advancing, any applied knowledge a plus (all of which I can do/demonstrate). Company looks great and someone I used to work with is in HR. She is aware of my competence and wants me to notify her once I've applied, which will be later this evening.

I have of course borne in mind the advice of this thread re: attitude and enthusiasm, etc, as well as making a brief but comprehensive list of applied skills that I can elaborate on in an interview. Along with my woman-on-the-inside I'm feeling pretty hopeful!

Can anyone recommend a microphone that can pick up people with thick accents in a fairly small room? There's been some issues with people further away from our conference cameras, who are hardly audible and have an accent that makes it impossible to understand when half of the range is missing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The ability to pick up accents isn't down to the microphone as such, it's more to do with the bandwidth (as in frequency bandwidth) available on however you are transmitting the audio. This is why FaceTime Audio and SIP to SIP calls with decent phones sound so much clearer than a landline (or even worse, GSM) call.

If you just want a decent microphone then you are after a boundary mic. These are great, and can be purchased individually as opposed to a set.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_cbl_410_b_set.htm

Bear in mind the little USB adaptor is also handling the power requirements as they are condenser mics.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Caged posted:

The ability to pick up accents isn't down to the microphone as such, it's more to do with the bandwidth (as in frequency bandwidth) available on however you are transmitting the audio. This is why FaceTime Audio and SIP to SIP calls with decent phones sound so much clearer than a landline (or even worse, GSM) call.

If you just want a decent microphone then you are after a boundary mic. These are great, and can be purchased individually as opposed to a set.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_cbl_410_b_set.htm

Bear in mind the little USB adaptor is also handling the power requirements as they are condenser mics.

Yes I am aware of course, but the mic in the logitech camera we have isn't picking people at the back of the table up very well, and if they also have an accent you can't make out what they say. If they are in the main focus area of the mic, you can understand them just fine. If it's a native speaker, they are still understandable even at the outer rim. Also, won't get 180 € budget for this, obviously it's affecting production, but that doesn't mean you can't fix it with a 10 $ mic, right? (Realistically, we are talking 30 € max I think)

e: Apparently we have to order this from Amazon.co.uk, probably because our department has a gift card or something, I don't think I want to know the reason...

SEKCobra fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 2, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can't do you €30, but http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samson-UB1-Boundary-Microphone-USB-Powered/dp/B008YQ3JZ0/

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
"Lets buy everyone a headset"
"Execs dont wear headsets also soundcard??"
"Well the mic cant be on the table because $reason. Only next to the screen."

So uhm do these boundary mics work from not in the center of the table? I think I can push the budget on this, because theres no way this ape is finding any solution.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
I have had a lot of success with http://www.phnxaudio.com/duet We use them for a bit of foreign language education as well as meetings and such.

The basics is you will be paying about 100 bux, and it should be in the middle of the table. If you can push the budget, try a microphone array suspended from the ceiling.

Remember the first rule of AV: video is easy, audio is hard.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

Let's talk about cabling again. MOM WHAT'S A PATCH PANEL?

I cleaned this up a little bit. Need to bring the switches all down a few U on the rack, and then I'm going to stick that clump of dumb switches all one one switch, (boss doesn't know what VLANs are) to clean that up a little bit as well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you aren't allowed to use patch panels and you work for someone that doesn't understand VLANs then it's a lost cause.

Also:

GOOCHY posted:

You need a new job.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Caged posted:

If you aren't allowed to use patch panels and you work for someone that doesn't understand VLANs then it's a lost cause.

Also:

I'm looking now.

So much beige.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

PDUs? Sounds like a scam to get mah dollars!

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Wow I had those same surge protectors in my house like 10 years ago. It was like $10 at Walmart. Good business quality stuff.

E: I think I still have mine. Willing to ship to you for you know... DR

stuxracer fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 3, 2014

high six
Feb 6, 2010
So, I don't post too often, but I do follow the thread. You guys are pretty encouraging

In any case, I finally got a call back for a part-time IT co-op thing. I don't know if they are just calling all of the applicants or what, but I am pretty excited. Anything to get me out of food-service hell. I am trying to not get my hopes up, but it's hard.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

high six posted:

So, I don't post too often, but I do follow the thread. You guys are pretty encouraging

In any case, I finally got a call back for a part-time IT co-op thing. I don't know if they are just calling all of the applicants or what, but I am pretty excited. Anything to get me out of food-service hell. I am trying to not get my hopes up, but it's hard.

Congrats dude! Just keep an openmind and willingness to learn new things and it will take you very far in IT

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Well, it is just a call back to let me know they got the application (I think). Talked a bit with the lady on the phone about the job and so on, and she mentioned the IT folks were gonna do technical interviews and stuff. So, hopefully it happens soon, because I am gonna end up eventually murdering someone at this pizza delivery job. Also, $14/hr is a ton of money, especially in bumfuck rural North Carolina.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

high six posted:

Well, it is just a call back to let me know they got the application (I think). Talked a bit with the lady on the phone about the job and so on, and she mentioned the IT folks were gonna do technical interviews and stuff. So, hopefully it happens soon, because I am gonna end up eventually murdering someone at this pizza delivery job. Also, $14/hr is a ton of money, especially in bumfuck rural North Carolina.

Well if you got any questions about interviewing let us know!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What's this in the ceiling?

8-port dumb switch connected to second 8-port dumb switch which connects to yet another 100mb switch further down the chain?

Replaced it with a gig dumb switch because I'm not going to run 12 wires this afternoon. Ugh. No wonder this persons backups were running at 2.89MB/s

(they now run at 101MB/s)

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
When I turned up on this project, I was given a doc listing all the cabs on site...
Well there were 2 sites, they built a 500 yard path and joined them into 1

There are 38 data cabs and 2 server rooms (although it's being consolidated into 1 so it's kinda ok)

All the data cabs resemble something similar to the photos you have there (can't take any off site myself though) and I said I would re patch them all ha

Plus on top of that I've found at least another half a dozen undocumented cabs

It's going to be a good few years...

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Double check those surge protectors.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/Schneider-Electric-Recalls-APC-Surge-Protectors/

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Unemployment dragging on. Just got a "the position has closed" notice about one that I felt particularly good about.

Blah.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sometimes you just need to say "gently caress em". I interviewed with a company in like the second week of Jan, didn't hear back until the second week of Feb after chasing them. Did another interview. Came back a week later for another interview (we're at 3x 1 hour interviews now plus travel).

Was between me and one other guy, was told I'd hear back by the end of the week. Chased the Monday after that week ended, the guy never replied. Hassled them over the phone on Friday (now a week after the initial date I'd hear back by) and got a feeble email back amounting to "we went with the other chap".

gently caress that HR man so hard. I totally get that people required to be there for the interviews get taken ill, but that's no excuse for not keeping people informed that have been good enough to make every interview you've wanted to schedule and trying to duck their calls / not respond to emails. When I can be bothered I might write it up on Glassdoor.

You can't take it personally though, just move on. The upshot I took from it is if they are that badly organised when it comes to hiring people, what else are they poo poo at?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Ugh, yeah, it's just discouraging. I'm starting to doubt whether or not I'm qualified to do what I'm trying to do, and whether or not I fell into the previous position as a fluke. I know I can do it, and I have done it, but rejection takes its toll on confidence.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tell me about it. I was doubting myself but then I ran my resume past some people in the industry and in the same locations I was looking at and nobody thought I was being unrealistic.

The risk you run with lowering your sights is you miss out on $10k/year of salary, get stuck in a poo poo position with the wrong title learning nothing new, then when you come to job search in two years time you are at the same point you're at now and missed two years of career development.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Caged posted:

Tell me about it. I was doubting myself but then I ran my resume past some people in the industry and in the same locations I was looking at and nobody thought I was being unrealistic.

The risk you run with lowering your sights is you miss out on $10k/year of salary, get stuck in a poo poo position with the wrong title learning nothing new, then when you come to job search in two years time you are at the same point you're at now and missed two years of career development.

Unfortunately the cost of waiting for ideal is supporting a family on unemployment checks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Welp, it appears I was fired today randomly out of the blue. Reason given "insubordination".

After some back channeling it turns out that the reason I was fired was because I had connected with a recruiter on linked in. It appears that the marketing dept has a few people monitor everyone's linkedin accounts. Marketing goes directly to the owner and the owner makes the call without talking to anyone in your dept/chain of command. It seems so far that I am not even close to being the first.

One part of me thinks I should have had better privacy settings and the other (more logical side) says gently caress working for any company with such a stupid policy.

I am getting a months pay at least. Probably will end up being a net gain for me this year. Business is silly sometimes.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Well if you got any questions about interviewing let us know!

Thanks. :D

The lady called me today and woke me up, so, I don't think I was exactly on my A-game. Here's to hoping I get an in-person interview.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Sickening posted:

Welp, it appears I was fired today randomly out of the blue. Reason given "insubordination".

After some back channeling it turns out that the reason I was fired was because I had connected with a recruiter on linked in. It appears that the marketing dept has a few people monitor everyone's linkedin accounts. Marketing goes directly to the owner and the owner makes the call without talking to anyone in your dept/chain of command. It seems so far that I am not even close to being the first.

One part of me thinks I should have had better privacy settings and the other (more logical side) says gently caress working for any company with such a stupid policy.

I am getting a months pay at least. Probably will end up being a net gain for me this year. Business is silly sometimes.

I would be fired about 10 times over. That is the dumbest policy I've ever heard. You need to Glassdoor that poo poo when you get a new job. People need to be warned.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I would be fired about 10 times over. That is the dumbest policy I've ever heard. You need to Glassdoor that poo poo when you get a new job. People need to be warned.

I plan to. Going to let the pain dry first. Don't want to make it too obvious.

The owner is looking for buyers for the company. I believe firings paints a better picture to buyers than high percentage of voluntary turn over. The 7 out of the last 10 people who left were at this company for 6+ years. Only 110 employees total. 4 of those were with the company when it started.

I am not exactly feeling low about it. The market is so good right now and I am excited.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 4, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

loving hell that's rough. Glad you're positive about it though.

Might be time to use the recruiter you connected with.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
That is ridiculous.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Caged posted:

loving hell that's rough. Glad you're positive about it though.

Might be time to use the recruiter you connected with.

I have updated my resume and uploaded it to all the major job posting sites. Tomorrow I plan on sending my resume to all the recruiters I have worded with in the past as well as going to my tried and trusty google maps method.

I have already generated about a call every two days with a 2 year old resume on them. poo poo is probably going to be bananas for the next week. System admins are needed loving everywhere no matter the variations in titles.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Sickening posted:

I plan to. Going to let the pain dry first. Don't want to make it too obvious.

The owner is looking for buyers for the company. I believe firings paints a better picture to buyers than high percentage of voluntary turn over. The 7 out of the last 10 people who left were at this company for 6+ years. Only 110 employees total. 4 of those were with the company when it started.

I am not exactly feeling low about it. The market is so good right now and I am excited.

That's total bullshit honestly. I have half a dozen recruiters linked who I've worked with in the past - it doesn't mean that I'm actively looking. In fact, a lot of times I just like to read some of their posts and articles to get an idea on how they see where the IT employment market is heading 6-12 months from now.

Just another example of some jackass who is too caught up in his own power. God forbid someone be proactive about their career and threaten that precious peon status. If I had the ability and something like that happened to me I'd love to be able to form my own company just to take all the company's clients and drive the motherfucker into personal bankruptcy.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Daylen Drazzi posted:

That's total bullshit honestly. I have half a dozen recruiters linked who I've worked with in the past - it doesn't mean that I'm actively looking. In fact, a lot of times I just like to read some of their posts and articles to get an idea on how they see where the IT employment market is heading 6-12 months from now.

Just another example of some jackass who is too caught up in his own power. God forbid someone be proactive about their career and threaten that precious peon status. If I had the ability and something like that happened to me I'd love to be able to form my own company just to take all the company's clients and drive the motherfucker into personal bankruptcy.

He is old (close to 80) with health problems and a 39 year old wife. His the top two execs under him are men who married his daughters for what probably was not good intentions and are basically despised in the company. I wouldn't even want to think about what his home life accounts to.

Saying all that he is a very charismatic person who has some very dark secrets I am sure. I wouldn't trade my life for his and I don't have any need for vengeance. I also don't feel sorry for him either.

Its a very valuable lesson though that everyone here should probably take under consideration.

1. Defend yourself at all times. Take better care of what is visible to your employer.
2. Small companies take things more personal. Smaller things have great visibility. You actually find yourself walking on eggshells more often than in bigger companies.
3. Always keep your employment options open and live well below your means. I wouldn't be in this good of a situation if I didn't.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Sickening posted:

I understand that can be a very vague excuse and might be easy to defend, but how are the employment laws in your area? Do you have any kind of legal recourse for a bullshit firing like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cenodoxus posted:

I understand that can be a very vague excuse and might be easy to defend, but how are the employment laws in your area? Do you have any kind of legal recourse for a bullshit firing like that?

"At will" state so no.

• Locked thread