Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Snowy posted:

Without prying, if all you can get together is fragments you can always make lots of little songs. Ovens does that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGp9kDdFfpY

As did/does Modest Mouse and Flaming Lips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Anyone else pre-order Beck's new album from Sears and never receive it? The drat thing released on tuesday, but my order just says processing. Beginning to think I've been ripped off.

I let a Euro goon use my address to ship his Sears stuff to and the Beck album was in there. It still hasn't arrived to me either. The other half of his order came like a week ago, however. It's entirely possible that they took pre-orders without anticipating the demand, came up short and had to order more copies.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Just got my records sorted out onto my new bookshelf! Decided to play something, and... left channel on my turntable is now dead :suicide:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That Ovens song is super-rad. I'll think about this.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Self Defense Family's issuing a square lathe-cut record that sounds like garbage. I'm not gonna buy it, but I love it.

I want this so bad just to keep my SDF as close to complete as possible. I guess if I missed out on the Goodtime Boys split and since no one will ever find the Bacha Bazi 7" it'll be ok to skip this one.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Dr. Lenin posted:

Just got my records sorted out onto my new bookshelf! Decided to play something, and... left channel on my turntable is now dead :suicide:

I had exactly that with mine, but if I took the head shell off, gave the contacts a clean, and put it back on, it came back. Or tightened it a bit more than it was. Has been fine since.

I had to look up what a "head-shell" was called so I reserve the right to be wrong about that.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Anyone else pre-order Beck's new album from Sears and never receive it? The drat thing released on tuesday, but my order just says processing. Beginning to think I've been ripped off.

Yep. I didn't realize it had been released already until insane this post.

I used PayPal for my order and they didn't charge me yet.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

shmee posted:

I had exactly that with mine, but if I took the head shell off, gave the contacts a clean, and put it back on, it came back. Or tightened it a bit more than it was. Has been fine since.

I had to look up what a "head-shell" was called so I reserve the right to be wrong about that.

Ill give that a try. I just assumed something broke when I moved the turntable when setting it up. What's a good way to clean it? Just air and a clean brush?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
To clean the wiring contacts, you can use isopropyl alcohol. If they don't look terrible just make sure they are tightened, make sure the stylus is in the cartridge pretty good, make sure the RCA cables going from the table to your amp (and phono amp if any) are hooked up right.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dogen posted:

To clean the wiring contacts, you can use isopropyl alcohol. If they don't look terrible just make sure they are tightened, make sure the stylus is in the cartridge pretty good, make sure the RCA cables going from the table to your amp (and phono amp if any) are hooked up right.

I would recommend contact cleaner instead of rubbing alcohol.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Just got done cleaning the connections and trying to troubleshoot it. Still dead :( Anyone know of a good and decently priced place in the Chicagoland area that can fix technics?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Schremp Howard posted:

I don't know what kind of record stores you guys go to but all of the ones I've hit up over the years have limited you to one-per and then after a certain time (sometimes a few hours after open, other times the next day) you could buy more.

That said there's nothing on any of the rumored lists for this year that interests me, so I guess that's one less thing to deal with.

I didn't care about the RSD stuff last year, and I have less money to spend so I was hoping there'd be nothing I want to spend my money on, but then they announced that goddamn LCD Soundsystem at MSG box set, and now I'm going to be poor.

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
If anyone missed out on the Quasimoto Vinyl and can't wait until April for next batch, I have an extra. PM.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Last RSD I saw Opeth do a free show in Newbury Comics and that was pretty cool.
Then I bought the Built to Spill Live and Screaming Females/Garbage 10" and left.

Pretty good day.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Kaboobi posted:

Last RSD I saw Opeth do a free show in Newbury Comics and that was pretty cool.
Then I bought the Built to Spill Live and Screaming Females/Garbage 10" and left.

Pretty good day.

Newbury Comics is a cool place.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I see that a repress of Watershed was in the rumored list that new-vinyl.blogspot or whatever put up. Pretty cool but I'm glad it's not on my "must buy" list really. Hopefully this RSD I can just take advantage of the sales they have on used stuff and find some good things.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Kaboobi posted:

Screaming Females/Garbage 10"

Pretty good day.

You own

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

alg posted:

You own

I have one of the 100 red vinyl pressings of their first 7" :getin:

(along with at least 1 copy of everything else they've ever put out on vinyl, sometimes two. or three)

Kaboobi fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 4, 2014

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Saw The Sword last night, picked up this sweet picture disc:

Which... there's no photos of the actual record anywhere online as best as I can tell which is weird. Also it doesn't have a regular sleeve it's in like a plastic envelope which I've never experienced before but it's totally loving gorgeous.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
Anyone have any info about the Pinback RSD release for this year? I see it listed as just Pinback - Pinback (LP) and they have no self-titled albums. Very curious...

Also, the Power Glove - Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon Soundtrack is loving amazing and deserves your dollars. Too bad Invada are the ones putting it out.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

DammitJanet posted:

Anyone have any info about the Pinback RSD release for this year? I see it listed as just Pinback - Pinback (LP) and they have no self-titled albums. Very curious...

Also, the Power Glove - Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon Soundtrack is loving amazing and deserves your dollars. Too bad Invada are the ones putting it out.

What's wrong with Invada?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

What's wrong with Invada?

UK based, I assume. Good label.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Yeah the Invada stuff is always really expensive with crazy shipping.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I know RSD is evil and colored vinyl is the worst, etc. but does anyone know the difference between these two releases?

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/16227223/space-project-space-project-7-inch-single
http://www.bullmoose.com/p/16227222/space-project-space-project

Are these the exact same release, just broken into singles instead of an LP? Is that boxset anything special?

vv Nothing, this thread just hates it with a passion vv

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 4, 2014

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Wait, why is colored vinyl bad? I love my colored records :ohdear:

Other than it not being 180

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

alg posted:

Yeah the Invada stuff is always really expensive with crazy shipping.

I had good luck finding the Solaris OST on Amazon.ca, so I imagine the US site would have it as well.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Are these the exact same release, just broken into singles instead of an LP? Is that boxset anything special?

Probably. There's a lot of RSD releases that are exactly that, but for 2-3 times the price of the regular LP. Because paying an inflated price for something easily obtained in a really stupid format is what record collecting all about about, maaaan.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Big Mean Jerk posted:

vv Nothing, this thread just hates it with a passion vv

I wouldn't go quite that far. Some of us still have room for joy in our lives.

Ralph Waldo Emerson posted:

Love of beauty is taste.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Does anyone know if the Ideal For Living reissue is going to be sourced from original tapes?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Finally had some success buying King Crimson records from the internet :smug:

It sounds amazing. Unfortunately the lyric inner sleeve is missing and there's a couple of splotches on the cover (as you can see) but it was only $40 shipped so I am not going to complain too hard. It's also the first thing I've bought off the internet in months.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Larks' was one of those life-changing moments when I bought it on vinyl from my local shop in 2003 or so. I'd never heard it, and I'd only heard that lineup on Red via CD, which was your standard 80s CD master job. Pleasant, but lacked oomph. Larks' I with a subwoofer and the record made the sub rock. Still incredible.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Yeah, Part I is especially phenomenal. This is my third copy; first was a Canadian pressing, second was a UK pressing which was warped as hell so this one is definitely an upgrade from that, barely even crackles in the quiet parts. Luckily have managed to find all the other UK first pressings locally (except In the Court, of which I got a mostly playable copy online for cheap).

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 5, 2014

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

CRINDY posted:

Well, I bought for $30 and listed it for $90 on Discogs and it sold in less than an hour. Amazon's listings are at $200+, so I don't know if the prices are because of a poisoned market or if I just sold really low.

That sound you hear is the value coming back to earth, good work on selling at the right time.

Oracular Spectacular and Congratulations, the two full length albums from MGMT, are reportedly being reissued onto 180-gram double vinyl as part of Record Store Day 2014. The Oracular reissue is reportedly limited to 5,000 copies, while Congratulations is limited to 4,000.

Oracular Spectacular is still available at Urban Outfitters in its single LP configuration, but both reissues must contain some form of bonus features since their double LPs. We’ll keep you updated.

http://modern-vinyl.com/2014/03/04/mgmt-lps-getting-reissued/

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Bliggers- posted:

That sound you hear is the value coming back to earth, good work on selling at the right time.

Oracular Spectacular and Congratulations, the two full length albums from MGMT, are reportedly being reissued onto 180-gram double vinyl as part of Record Store Day 2014. The Oracular reissue is reportedly limited to 5,000 copies, while Congratulations is limited to 4,000.

Oracular Spectacular is still available at Urban Outfitters in its single LP configuration, but both reissues must contain some form of bonus features since their double LPs. We’ll keep you updated.

http://modern-vinyl.com/2014/03/04/mgmt-lps-getting-reissued/

These might be one of those 45 rpm things. Although the initial release of Congratulations was a 2 LP.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

This thread needs more posts of record scores.

Some stuff I've gripped in the last month:

Unwound - Fake Train (clean as hell, drat near mint)
Black Flag - My War (original US press) not super hard to find or anything but a super minty copy with insert
Emeralds - Allegory of Allergies (sorry for the glare) only has 6 of the 9 tracks from the original cassette
Swans - Greed & Holy Money (both 1986 UK presses) - sleeves not in perfect shape but fine copies for now
Sunburned Hand of the Man - S/T, love this band but never listened to this one, don't know much about it

Jesus Lizard - Goat (first US press) - pretty drat clean for a $10 score
Harvey Milk - Life, the Best Game in Town (on purple)
surrounded by a bunch of punk/hardcore 7"'s, all new poo poo: Crazy Spirit, Warthog, Lumpy and the Dumpers, Caged Animal, Vaaska/Impalers split, Gag, La Misma

lost all my records in a brutal fire a couple years ago, so I've just been slowly building back the old collection, a lot of these are poo poo I already had :sweatdrop:

post more scores!

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

DammitJanet posted:

Did some digging and found out it will be This Is a Pinback CD, or rather, This Is a Pinback LP. Rob Crow posted a picture of a test pressing on his twitter last month, so I'm inclined to believe, and it'll be great to finally have some Pinback on wax.

Would you like to know more?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeQ72NPRdOk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_qqTxhXy7k

Also, my Sears order came in. Everything was in fine shape, for what it's worth.

DammitJanet fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 5, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Sockser posted:

Wait, why is colored vinyl bad? I love my colored records :ohdear:

Same here. They sure is purty.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

kirkjames posted:

This thread needs more posts of record scores.

Some stuff I've gripped in the last month:

Unwound - Fake Train (clean as hell, drat near mint)
Black Flag - My War (original US press) not super hard to find or anything but a super minty copy with insert
Emeralds - Allegory of Allergies (sorry for the glare) only has 6 of the 9 tracks from the original cassette
Swans - Greed & Holy Money (both 1986 UK presses) - sleeves not in perfect shape but fine copies for now
Sunburned Hand of the Man - S/T, love this band but never listened to this one, don't know much about it

Jesus Lizard - Goat (first US press) - pretty drat clean for a $10 score
Harvey Milk - Life, the Best Game in Town (on purple)
surrounded by a bunch of punk/hardcore 7"'s, all new poo poo: Crazy Spirit, Warthog, Lumpy and the Dumpers, Caged Animal, Vaaska/Impalers split, Gag, La Misma

lost all my records in a brutal fire a couple years ago, so I've just been slowly building back the old collection, a lot of these are poo poo I already had :sweatdrop:

post more scores!

poo poo son. Where are you getting this stuff?

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I'm too lazy to post pictures but I bought hella Warren Zevon records from a yard sale so yay me!

I got Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School, The Envoy, Excitable Boy, and The Wind (loving SCORE) for 50 bucks together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Chill Callahan posted:

poo poo son. Where are you getting this stuff?

my war was off of discogs, harvey milk off ebay, 7" stuff was from distros/labels online, the rest at record stores.