Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Saw two Cadillac test mules on the way to work today. First was a two door, not covered up much - think it was an ELR mule. Second was a large four door in full camo.... not sure what that was.

Cadillac is developing an S Class competitor, which is probably what you saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KakerMix posted:

No hatch on the normal Impreza so that's out and the Crosstrek is ok (and has a 5 speed option) but it's kinda worse than a SUV because it's a crossover. The STI maybe but man those interiors, also the newest model doesn't have a hatch.

The Impreza has a manual hatch too.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 4, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you don't need AWD, why not the Mazda3 or the Focus or the Sonic or whatever?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The hatch thing is that the new WRX doesn't have a hatch option. The regular Impreza comes as a hatch.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you don't need AWD, why not the Mazda3 or the Focus or the Sonic or whatever?

Did you think multiple-VW owner Kakermix, who just posted a screed about how he's going to buy another VW because gosh darn it no one else makes what he wants, is seriously looking for people to tell him to buy something else? :allears:

Non-verbal cues, guys.

Some more pics of the little jeep are out.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/03/2015-jeep-renegade-more-of-it-surfaces.html

Interior does show buttons for 4LO, so that's encouraging.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

Did you think multiple-VW owner Kakermix, who just posted a screed about how he's going to buy another VW because gosh darn it no one else makes what he wants, is seriously looking for people to tell him to buy something else? :allears:

Non-verbal cues, guys.

I've always suspected repeat VW buyers are suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I like it. the "designed in America and built in Italy," part scares me though. That means there will be 14 cupholders and they'll all rattle.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

HotCanadianChick posted:

Do VWs still smell like crayons after the first three months or did they fix that in the 00s?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

HotCanadianChick posted:

In life we return to what hurts us, and what hurts us is Volkswagen.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Sinestro posted:

In life we return to what hurts us, and what hurts us is *Volkswagen.

*aircooled

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Speaking as someone who drove a Mark IV I've done my time and I will never go back.

Now for some content:

The Mazda2 Hazumi concept was unveiled at Geneva at last.

I've long dreamed of the day where we'd get Alfa Romeo styling with Japanese reliability. My dream has finally come true.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Powershift posted:

I like it. the "designed in America and built in Italy," part scares me though. That means there will be 14 cupholders and they'll all rattle.

When did GM take over VW? :confused:

Cream_Filling posted:

Do VWs still smell like crayons after the first three months or did they fix that in the 00s?

No cars seem to after the early '00s. Goddammit, my replacement DD doesn't smell like crayons. Thanks for reminding me. :cry:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Says someone who's never had to replace dead coil packs repeatedly on a 1.8 with less than 50k on it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

VERTiG0 posted:

I absolutely love that new little Jeep Renegade.

4x4, diesel engine (supposedly for North America!), 9spd auto... Not too bad!

Not gonna lie, I'm kind of interested in this. Probably a bit more practical than my Golf for all the outdoorsy poo poo that I do.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Kraftwerk posted:

The Mazda2 Hazumi concept was unveiled at Geneva at last.

It's adorable :buddy:
Now they just need to spec one out similar to a Fiesta ST.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Throatwarbler posted:

Non-verbal cues, guys.

Incoming effort post~

We own one (1) VW, which is also the first VW we've owned. I shopped around between Fords, Mazdas, Fiats, VWs, Subarus, Volvos. I settled on a GTI then decided to go 'up' to the Golf R. You tell me another manufacture that in the United States that has a wagon that is available in a stick, or as 'complete' of a hatchback as the Golfs that also have a stick. Subarus can be more performance but the interior is not nearly as sorted. Ford's ST are really excellent but a little too running shoe/obnoxious/boy racer for me. Mazda might have a shot if we can get their new design language Speed3 but the normal Mazda3s are anemic in style and just overall excitement and the salesperson kept talking about how Mazda spent a lot of time competing with Toyota. The Fiat dealership refused to let us test drive the Abarth they had sitting on their lot so that soured us pretty hard on Fiat in general. The 500L, well, look at the thing. The Volvo c30 was just not very good and is discontinued anyway.

My wife currently drives a base-trim Cube, mostly because it was the only one with a manual transmission available at the time and we weren't as well off financially. Things are much different for us now which is what allowed me to overpay on a Golf with the R. Since having my R we've gotten used to the 'nicer' side of automotive interiors. The problem with this is that the higher you go upmarket (Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac) you start finding yourself having to compromise on the things you'd like, namely a wagon or hatch with a manual transmission. Volvos are out because no manual to be found. Caddilac has that bitchin' wagon but the wife isn't into it and it's quite big. Audi offers exactly one wagon and it's a crossover with lots of plastic (that you can at least have painted), but again, no manual transmission. The manuals Audi does offer aren't in a hatch form, and the only A3 we're going to get that's a hatch is a hybrid. BMWs are a total lost cause because the 3 series wagon (of which is the only one that BMW offers here) doesn't come in a stick, and we also don't get ANY BMW hatch. Mercedes is a no-hatch zone as well and as much as I'd love the massive AMG Wagon they offer it's 1. Huge, 2. Not a manual and 3. over 100k. The non-AMG wagon is just as big but not nearly as fun so what's the point. That souped-up CUV doesn't count as a hatch either.

ANYWAY now that you have proof that I am a secret veedubfreak I am really into this cute-ute Jeep. That "SINCE 1941" thing above the screen in the dash is hideous and what is that in the stack-tray thing, a map with an embossed Jeep grill? If they are OK with that then I've got some severe reservations about other dumb things they've done to it that are going to bother me *so bad*. It's Italian guys, slapping fake-pride on it isn't going to convince 'real' Jeep guys since it's size and proportions already threaten their manhood.

EDIT
Car and Driver have some new information about the Renegade

Car and Driver posted:

The Renegade will be available with 16 powertrain combinations in markets around the world, but U.S. buyers will have just two options. The base engine is the 1.4-liter turbo four from the Fiat 500 Abarth, here producing 160 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque and paired exclusively with a six-speed manual. The step-up powertrain is a 2.4-liter Tigershark four-cylinder that makes 184 horses and 177 lb-ft, and which backs up exclusively to Chrysler’s nine-speed automatic. Both powertrains can be had in front- or four-wheel-drive form.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 4, 2014

dor1
Jun 5, 2011
I don't get the whole "all VWs do is rattle". I've had 2 Golfs in the past 2 years, an neither of them had any rattling, although one of them might have rattled after it was crashed.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

KakerMix posted:

The problem with this is that the higher you go upmarket (Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac) you start finding yourself having to compromise on the things you'd like, namely a wagon or hatch with a manual transmission. [...] BMWs are a total lost cause because the 3 series wagon (of which is the only one that BMW offers here) doesn't come in a stick

Uhhh... several goons in the US own manual BMW 3 series wagons. People that post in our very own AI. (You didn't make it clear if you meant just their current new cars, or all their previous 3er wagons).They don't offer sticks on the current lineup of 3 series wagons, but their entire current lineup is pretty much a bunch of hot garbage anyways.

Also, you say the new Mazda3s are anemic in style and excitement, are you sure you're talking about the ones that just came out? The ones literally every reviewer is raving about how good they are? They're pretty drat sweet, with probably the best interior anywhere near their price point. I sat in them side-by-side with most of the current Mercs, Audis, BMWs, Infinitis, Lexuses, and Volvos at the recent auto show we had here, and the only cars that really felt significantly 'nicer' inside were the new Maserati Quattroporte and Ghibli. Hell, it was nicer than the current crop of BMW interiors.

Really, if you need a wagon yet also need a fun car, well, living in the US it's always better to have them be two separate things. Unlike Europe and Japan, there's nowhere near the market demand for hot hatches and sportwagons, so we're always going to miss 99% of the good stuff in that segment. Get one boring hauler for when you need it, one fun car that isn't a wagon, and just do rock-paper-scissors each morning for who has to take the wagon to work that day. Or go used and pick up one of the handful of Audi RS6 Avants that made it to the US.

dor1 posted:

I don't get the whole "all VWs do is rattle". I've had 2 Golfs in the past 2 years, an neither of them had any rattling, although one of them might have rattled after it was crashed.

West SAAB Story posted:

Pretty sure Powershift was talking about the new Jeep.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

West SAAB Story posted:

They didn't, it got voted down but now they're trying to get the NLRB to reverse it

:v:

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Not really new car news, but Chevrolet raised the price on the base model Corvette by $2000 yesterday. They increased the cost of the Z51 package by $3200.

I found this out yesterday because I have one on order. Hasn't been picked up by Chevy yet, but I'm price protected so I'm locked in at the original Z51 price. Actually a little lower than that since I got it below MSRP.

Of course the Corvette forum is freaking out about this. A lot of the dealers with inventory who were discounting them are no longer showing discounts on their websites either.

Speculation is this is due to the Stingray becoming eligible for GM Employee pricing on 3/1. Sure glad I got mine on order last week since it saved me four grand.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

And of course we're not getting the diesel.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
see a new ad you don't like? Post it here, in the news-thread!

Anyone seen Cadillac's new commercial about how Americans are workaholics because we're so bad rear end and don't have time for dumb poo poo like "friends" or "family"? It even shows the dude walking straight by his kids and waving on his way out of the door, which I guess they meant to be positive but comes across as depressing since they're accidently implying the dude is too busy to spend more than 30 seconds with his children.

I guess Cadilliac knows who they're targeting and I'm not them but holy poo poo its like they took those dumb rear end "Chevy 'murica" commercials and stuck a suit on them. Cadilliac, at least in recent years, has had pretty good advertising but this time it feels like they're really tone deaf.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

HotCanadianChick posted:

Uhhh... several goons in the US own manual BMW 3 series wagons. People that post in our very own AI. (You didn't make it clear if you meant just their current new cars, or all their previous 3er wagons).They don't offer sticks on the current lineup of 3 series wagons, but their entire current lineup is pretty much a bunch of hot garbage anyways.
The last manual transmission 3-series wagon was back in 2012 in the US. The 2013+ are all auto-only, AWD-only, 2.0L gas/diesel. At least we get the diesel now.

As for used 3-series wagons with manuals, good loving luck. The most I've ever seen on Autotrader/Cars.com/Ebay/CL at once was 2 in the entire USA, if there were any at all, and virtually all non-Sport AWD models. You want a manual RWD with the Sport or M Sport package? I've only seen a used one come up once, yes singular, ever. E63 AMG wagons are freakishly common, relatively speaking.

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 4, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you're not laughing at how ridiculous that commercial is you're doing it wrong.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

LordOfThePants posted:

Not really new car news, but Chevrolet raised the price on the base model Corvette by $2000 yesterday. They increased the cost of the Z51 package by $3200.

I found this out yesterday because I have one on order. Hasn't been picked up by Chevy yet, but I'm price protected so I'm locked in at the original Z51 price. Actually a little lower than that since I got it below MSRP.

Of course the Corvette forum is freaking out about this. A lot of the dealers with inventory who were discounting them are no longer showing discounts on their websites either.

Speculation is this is due to the Stingray becoming eligible for GM Employee pricing on 3/1. Sure glad I got mine on order last week since it saved me four grand.

Well congrats on getting it anything below msrp. I'm still seeing them marked up in my area.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

What's the point in offering the 2.4 as an 'upgrade' with the new Renegade? It has slightly more hoursepower (probably delivered at higher RPM's?) but slightly less torque.

Why not just offer the 1.4 with an auto?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

EnergizerFellow posted:

The last manual transmission 3-series wagon was back in 2012 in the US. The 2013+ are all auto-only, AWD-only, 2.0L gas/diesel. At least we get the diesel now.

As for used 3-series wagons with manuals, good loving luck. The most I've ever seen on Autotrader/Cars.com/Ebay/CL at once was 2 in the entire USA, if there were any at all, and virtually all non-Sport AWD models. You want a manual RWD with the Sport or M Sport package? I've only seen a used one come up once, yes singular, ever. E63 AMG wagons are freakishly common, relatively speaking.

I bet the diesel option killed the manual. I don't understand why internet people are obsessed with diesel in even moderately performance oriented cars (vs. economy cars or trucks). Is this just pure euro-fetishism or is there some secret pleasure that comes from driving a big revless lump?

Augmented Dickey posted:

What's the point in offering the 2.4 as an 'upgrade' with the new Renegade? It has slightly more hoursepower (probably delivered at higher RPM's?) but slightly less torque.

Why not just offer the 1.4 with an auto?

It might be cheaper to make and already engineered with that transmission.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cream_Filling posted:

I bet the diesel option killed the manual. I don't understand why internet people are obsessed with diesel in even moderately performance oriented cars (vs. economy cars or trucks). Is this just pure euro-fetishism or is there some secret pleasure that comes from driving a big revless lump?

The low end torque is awesome. I test drove the 328d wagon and was unimpressed. If it were a 335d I'd consider it. I also test drove a Q5 3.0TDI. That engine was pretty amazing. It would break the tires loose pretty easily.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

fknlo posted:

The low end torque is awesome.

This. Even on my golf TDI, the torque is wonderful. Sure, it doesn't pull hard immediately when I floor it, but that surge forward as the turbo boost builds is addictive.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Well looks like I'm not the only one who noticed the new Cadillac ad. This might be paywalled but I believe you can read 2 free articles a month:

http://blogs.hbr.org/2014/03/provocative-cadillac-rescuing-the-brand-from-bland/

I see the author's point but as a Cadillac owner I was attracted to the brand at the start of their renaissance in the mid 2000's when they were presenting a very different picture to the world. I think this "Poolside" ad is a step backwards in how Cadillac presents their brand.

When Cadillac "woke up" from their 30 or 40 year hibernation and decided to become relevant, a large part of their brand image was based around meeting the world on its terms and winning. For example, a big point in the campaign around the first generation CTS-V was that it could run the Nurburgring, a European racetrack, faster than its European competitors.

This poolside ad presents the opposite message. Americans: middle aged rich white blond and better than everyone because we are a-social workaholics that don't even have time for our children let alone a vacation because we're too "busy". Its too bad that in "Poolside" there is ten seconds of car and 50 seconds of talk because Cadillac is building even better cars than back in the 2000s but I guess GM is not used to that so they've got to throw a flag on it.

Here is the best Cadillac ad:
3 cars.
1 word.
0 bullshit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADLzyIe0zYs

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you're not laughing at how ridiculous that commercial is you're doing it wrong.

And if a TV ad is really making you angry, I'm laughing at how ridiculous you are.

:colbert:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I dunno I guess that baby boomer pandering 'murica stuff just gets to me.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Xguard86 posted:

Here is the best Cadillac ad:
3 cars.
1 word.
0 bullshit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADLzyIe0zYs

Can't argue with this :)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The Poolside ad makes a lot of sense to market the ELR. A better question is whether the ELR makes any sense for Cadillac.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
The ELR will be a total failure.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VERTiG0 posted:

The ELR will be a total failure.

At the end of their life, which will have sold more.

The manual CTS-V wagon, or the ELR.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

Which one will be remembered positively and which one will be remembered as a Cimarron II?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Which one will be remembered positively and which one will be remembered as a Cimarron II?

That depends on if you shop at whole foods or cut your steaks strait off the cow.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Powershift posted:

The v-wagon was never designed to be anything other than a low volume curiosity produced exclusively for automotive journalists.

The ELR is supposed to be a Model S competitor.

For the cost of TWO volts you can have ONE volt... with a new badge and 2 less doors :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Tekne posted:

There's a ton of Renegade pictures here and also in red: http://www.autobild.de/artikel/jeep-renegade-genfer-autosalon-2014-4957576.html

I think Jeep has another hit on its hands.

That is adorable, I want one.

If the off road trim gets a proper 4X4 system like the Trailhawk Cherokee it should be able to go pretty much anywhere a Wrangler can, too.