Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I somehow managed to sneak from >#100 to Top 75 for Episode 4 while moving from #83 to snag Top 5 in Fresh Cuts :madmax:

The skip tax had so much more of an effect than I thought - I hit "no bonus" a few times trying to clear off retaliations against people with 300-400 less rating than me, but I got a lot more AI wins than usual (like 10+ instead of 2) - and I was running an absurdly fragile 53 Psylocke/OBW/90 Spidey that went down in a stiff wind but you need a really bad start with OBW/Spidey to not win on full health.

I decided after the tournament that I didn't like Psylocke as much as I thought I might because she has basically no synergy with anyone. Her red doesn't do enough damage to justify ever using it after you have three strikes out, her blue is too much cooldown for more AP than they'll have in an unpredictable colour, and while her black does twice as much single-target/tile damage as Molotov it's just not as effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The 25 HP has already come out twice for me in the span of like 24 hours. Pretty neat. Also a Rag Red but that's worthless now.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Where is this respec feature the last update was supposed to have?

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Mister Macys posted:

Where is this respec feature the last update was supposed to have?

Go to the character sheet under training and you should have the option to put a new cover in(or buy one). When you do this it prompts you to choose which one you want to lower.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Or when you've got a cover you want to train up in, tap its training button.

Started cleaning up the OP, but I'm wondering if it isnt better to start from scratch. Plus I dont know a thing about a lot of the new characters.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

SynthOrange posted:

Or when you've got a cover you want to train up in, tap its training button.

Started cleaning up the OP, but I'm wondering if it isnt better to start from scratch. Plus I dont know a thing about a lot of the new characters.

Redoing the OP probably isn't a bad idea. You don't need much on the new characters, just mention they are there. They are 3 stars and anyone new is probably not going to get much use out of them for a while.

Maybe focus a little more on how the PVP and PVE events work. As a new player, that was the most confusing aspect of the game for me.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I got a Psylocke from a 300 point pvp token and Daredevil from a top 50 heroic.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

So Black Panther's black attack, "adds 5AP to their strongest color" does not mean the one they have the most AP in. If there's one guy left it seems to give it to the color at the top of their powers, I haven't written down multiple guys for checking. Maybe the color they do the most damage with?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Any more Goon alliances recruiting? I'd start one if I wasn't ISO poor.

Testicular Torsion
Jan 21, 2011
At my current MMR all I see in every PvP event is level 100+ teams and around 80% have spiderman. I can't compete with those so I never get any of the 3 star rewards. So can never compete.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Punch Spider-Man in the face and steal all his blues.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Testicular Torsion posted:

At my current MMR all I see in every PvP event is level 100+ teams and around 80% have spiderman. I can't compete with those so I never get any of the 3 star rewards. So can never compete.

Throw a cavalcade of your weakest characters at them to tank your MMR.

The lightning rounds also work well if you enter early and get your last win with a weak team. Over the next hour until it ends you will be attacked a lot.

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 3, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bruceski posted:

So Black Panther's black attack, "adds 5AP to their strongest color" does not mean the one they have the most AP in. If there's one guy left it seems to give it to the color at the top of their powers, I haven't written down multiple guys for checking. Maybe the color they do the most damage with?
It's definitely the colour of the highest attack stat on their team (active seems to take priority for a tie) which actually leads to some no-drawback uses against characters with passive skills, as those tend to be their highest.

Also,his protect skill counts any other protect tiles you have from any source, unlike Psylocke's strike tiles that count only your red ones.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 3, 2014

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Holy gently caress, tried out black panther with wolverine they synergize like crazy. I was worried their attack tiles would overlap but they don't at all. I want to see what Black Panther, Wolverine, and OBW would do together.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Black panthers color typing is nice because it gives you yellow without also giving you red and green, like you get with ares and Thor.

The other people who use yellow are Spider-Man and the hood, and the kind of defunct ironmans, so this is a welcome addition.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

messagemode1 posted:

Black panthers color typing is nice because it gives you yellow without also giving you red and green, like you get with ares and Thor.

The other people who use yellow are Spider-Man and the hood, and the kind of defunct ironmans, so this is a welcome addition.

Not to mention an active black skill that deals decent damage without too much of a downside (provide you use it intelligently, or as part of a group attack)

I think Wolverine/BP/OBW may be a new level of broken. Wolvie can poo poo out red strike tiles consistently, and nobody uses the red AP so he can actually use his nuke without contest. Matching yellows not only gives you YELLOW strike tiles via BP, but also heals wolverine if you can keep him out front. If I'm reading BP's blue ability right, it looks like it creates a tile that just passively makes protect tiles every few turns?

Then you have BP's black ability, which COULD be bad, but you can just bring along OBW for her cheap AP steal ability and take back whatever AP the black ability creates. You basically generate AP for yourself that way. Then, with the poo poo ton of strike tiles on the board, you double dip with OBW's black and heal with her blue (after BP's blue ability creates protect tiles)

It's kind of insane.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Problem is you a max level bp will probably overtake obw on blacks and blues and wolverine on yellows since he's 3*.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

messagemode1 posted:

Problem is you a max level bp will probably overtake obw on blacks and blues and wolverine on yellows since he's 3*.

Any yellow match heals Wolvie, but you're probably right about BP. Is Patch 3-star? I've never used that cover.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

death .cab for qt posted:

Holy gently caress, tried out black panther with wolverine they synergize like crazy. I was worried their attack tiles would overlap but they don't at all. I want to see what Black Panther, Wolverine, and OBW would do together.

This is what I'm running in the current tournament, and it's pretty good. Assuming I want to waste a couple hours a day over the next couple of days, I should be able to place pretty high. I was sitting at first place for quite a while and I don't even have an optimized Wolverine (less than 13 covers, so I have something like 2/5/4), and I don't have Black Panther at all, but it works better than any other pair I've linked with BP in the event.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Veryslightlymad posted:

This is what I'm running in the current tournament, and it's pretty good. Assuming I want to waste a couple hours a day over the next couple of days, I should be able to place pretty high. I was sitting at first place for quite a while and I don't even have an optimized Wolverine (less than 13 covers, so I have something like 2/5/4), and I don't have Black Panther at all, but it works better than any other pair I've linked with BP in the event.

I'm running patch, Daken, Panther and making GBS threads those tiles left and right. It gets pretty silly.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Could someone give me a refresher on how strike tiles work?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Mister Macys posted:

Could someone give me a refresher on how strike tiles work?

It's fairly simple. They add damage to tile matches and damage abilities.

They can quickly become broken when you get multiple strong strike tiles on the board and start using abilities that damage all enemies or spam low AP single target abilities.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Largepotato posted:

It's fairly simple. They add damage to tile matches and damage abilities.

They can quickly become broken when you get multiple strong strike tiles on the board and start using abilities that damage all enemies or spam low AP single target abilities.

Or original black widow's espionage, which triggers them twice.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

silvergoose posted:

I was having a lot of fun with OBW and Patch in the PVE event because of this. Against mooks you don't even have to worry about the strike tiles you make for the enemies unless you let one of their countdown tiles hit 0. 1000+ points of damage when OBW matches purple, blue or black is awesome.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Daredevil's red too, making it kinda nasty to match your own when you have some strikes out. Still not a great character though.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
The AI just did something awesomely retarded against me. It used Patch's Berserk Rage and it had four strike tiles in the same row with the last a row below in match-4 position. Of course, the AI must have all match-4s and destroyed all its own strike tiles immediately, not touching any of mine! That round lasted three more turns.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

death .cab for qt posted:

Any yellow match heals Wolvie, but you're probably right about BP. Is Patch 3-star? I've never used that cover.
He is, and that's who I was going to replace my Wolverine with once I levelled him up some more - but the problem with Patch is you have no stuns on the team and Black Panther is the only one with above-average health so you have to be in a pretty good position to use his strike tiles. That said, OBW will only be coming in on purple swaps once BP is at level, so there's probably a better option for her since she won't be the primary damage dealer anymore. I really wish my only other option for healing wasn't Spider-man.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Gallow posted:

The AI just did something awesomely retarded against me. It used Patch's Berserk Rage and it had four strike tiles in the same row with the last a row below in match-4 position. Of course, the AI must have all match-4s and destroyed all its own strike tiles immediately, not touching any of mine! That round lasted three more turns.

I love the AI doing stupid poo poo, like the thread's namesake. Ares Sunder-ing himself to death, any AI character using the jungle 100HP->AP environment power to commit suicide, going for 4-tile matches instead of T-shaped 5-tile crits, tossing out strike or protect tiles and then using powers that wipe out a bunch of tiles or change them, etc.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I just went up against some whale/hacker with a level 115 BP. Its black attack pretty much one-shotted my whole team. 4885 damage to all enemies!

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Everyone shits on the AI but how mad would you be if every time it could it would pick the most efficient match that would lead to the best cascades and pull in their best AP and poo poo on your day? Computers are cruelly efficient at doing what they're told to do.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Everyone shits on the AI but how mad would you be if every time it could it would pick the most efficient match that would lead to the best cascades and pull in their best AP and poo poo on your day? Computers are cruelly efficient at doing what they're told to do.

Oh I have zero problem with the AI making lovely moves, it's the only thing that keeps me in the match sometimes.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gallow posted:

I just went up against some whale/hacker with a level 115 BP. Its black attack pretty much one-shotted my whole team. 4885 damage to all enemies!

Well yeah. The guy is pretty overpowered. You need a new target to funbalance in the future, after all.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

He's also boosted.

But yeah that black hurts.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"Huh, don't care about any of the rewards for this tournament, so I can just fight for ISO without caring."

*gets up to 750 in the first day*

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
It's been a while since I stopped playing (they had just introduced Cap. America, I think). Has anything important changed? Mainly with the PvP system, I had to get up at 4 in the morning if I wanted a shot at the good prizes.

EDIT: Some more questions that I forgot: What's that stuff I see about alliances? And does the game still eat batteries?

VVVV

Thanks, that's encouraging.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 4, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Heaps has changed with PvP. Several characters got a major workover. Notably Storm, Ragnarok, Wolverine and Thor arent easy mode anymore. Their costs and abilities are more in line with other characters. The OP has a link to an up to date guide to the characters, new and old.

There's no longer three attempts at attacking. You win or lose and that's it. It's good and bad, I'm seeing a lot more victory points rolling my way just idling. Boosts are revamped a lot too. Instead of +3 boosts, you have +1 stackables to +3. Each +1 costs 200iso if you've already found one. They're definitely reducing the usage of boosts. Anyway, check it out. A whole boatload of new characters have been introduced since Cap.

I was a bit wary of the game after the unfortunately managed funbalancing round, so either they handled it badly or took the criticisms to heart because they're really turned the boat around since then.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

There's no longer three attempts at attacking. You win or lose and that's it. It's good and bad, I'm seeing a lot more victory points rolling my way just idling. Boosts are revamped a lot too. Instead of +3 boosts, you have +1 stackables to +3. Each +1 costs 200iso if you've already found one.

Just a small addition to this. The +1 ap boosts stack up to 3 times while the damage boosts stack up to 5 times each. This means you can use 5 20% to all colours for 100% match damage, and then add 5 of the 10% to 2 colours for an additional 50% match damage on top for your strongest colours .

Edit: oh, they also increased how many boosts you can hold. I'm not sure what the max is now but I have 27 +20% to all boosts waiting to be used.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 4, 2014

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Villain lightning round has begun. Time to tank that MMR.

e: someone lost to my team of 18 Hood, 26 Psylocke, & 25 DD. :psyduck:

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
Didn't someone is this thread say that you can't tank using the lightning rounds anymore? I might be miss remembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I've been trying to tank my MMR on this BP round by setting my team as a lvl 20 MBW and lvl 1 venom. I'm also just fighting and retreating a bunch but it doesn't seem to be affecting the difficulty of the matches I'm paired against. MMR is still largely a mystery to everyone but the developers right?