Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

SpookyLizard posted:

As a work around, include another option(s) to take gear.

Give an access panel to let us open the storage container wholesale like the weapon walls. Alternatively, a terminal (since that seems to look like a dispenser) to let us take X amount of a given item. Or a quickselect button to give us 10 of each healing item, ideally customizable in or out of game. (Take twenty stimpacks, five super stimpacks, 5 Doctor's bags, 5 of each chem, etc.

To be honest, I'm not sure this is necessary, given that the sorting system already has the player stocking system, which will keep the player automatically stocked with any item (except weapons and armor, because of scripting limitations), in any quantity specified by the player. So if you always want your inventory filled with 40 rounds of .45 ACP, 6 Stimpaks, 2 Super Stimpaks, 1 vacuum cleaner and 4 Nuka Cola trucks for playing "Traffic" with later, the system will do it for you every time you sort items. Although I do think it would be handy to have a "Take All" option to empty the display for whatever reason.

By the way, I forgot to mention this earlier, but displays stock from every container in the station; they aren't limited to you putting specific items in the right containers like the original LS was. You can throw all the stimpaks and booze you have into as many random containers as you can find, and the displays will still stock properly.

Edit: As a final note, I really hate menus when you can get away without them. So for the displays, I've been putting two books, or a clipboard and a book next to them--one sorts items into the containers in that area (kitchen, medical area, machine-shop, etc.), and the other stocks the displays for that area. You can see the book that stocks the medical shelves in the second picture of my previous post. I just figured that when you only have a few or less options, it's faster (for the player) to do that, then make them go through a menu.

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

The King of Swag posted:

To be honest, I'm not sure this is necessary, given that the sorting system already has the player stocking system, which will keep the player automatically stocked with any item (except weapons and armor, because of scripting limitations), in any quantity specified by the player. So if you always want your inventory filled with 40 rounds of .45 ACP, 6 Stimpaks, 2 Super Stimpaks, 1 vacuum cleaner and 4 Nuka Cola trucks for playing "Traffic" with later, the system will do it for you every time you sort items. Although I do think it would be handy to have a "Take All" option to empty the display for whatever reason.

By the way, I forgot to mention this earlier, but displays stock from every container in the station; they aren't limited to you putting specific items in the right containers like the original LS was. You can throw all the stimpaks and booze you have into as many random containers as you can find, and the displays will still stock properly.

Edit: As a final note, I really hate menus when you can get away without them. So for the displays, I've been putting two books, or a clipboard and a book next to them--one sorts items into the containers in that area (kitchen, medical area, machine-shop, etc.), and the other stocks the displays for that area. You can see the book that stocks the medical shelves in the second picture of my previous post. I just figured that when you only have a few or less options, it's faster (for the player) to do that, then make them go through a menu.

Oh snap, I wasn't up on your whole work so far.

That's goddamned awesome.

And you must have the paitence of the saint for that much scripting.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

SpookyLizard posted:

Oh snap, I wasn't up on your whole work so far.

That's goddamned awesome.

And you must have the paitence of the saint for that much scripting.

Let's just put it this way: by using all the (awesome) new functionality added in the newest version of NVSE, I've cut the amount of code I've needed to write by 10 times at least. But even with that improvement in efficiency, I've still written more lines of code than I have in full utility and science programs. If you haven't been following along, but you like what you see so far, I'd suggest going back a few pages and reading my updates, because they detail quite a few features I've put in (and how they work).

Speaking of features, you alerted me to something I needed to add; the ability for the stocking system to not only pull from containers, but also from the displays if the containers don't have enough items left to stock your inventory with. For those that are waiting for me to finish this mod, I'm sorry to say that today has been really slow going, as this feature took up the vast majority of my time today--it is done however, and I would say important I worked on it. Not just for the functionality itself, but because it allowed me to spot a really obscure bug in the stocking system that I would have never spotted otherwise. It also gave me the opportunity to refactor the API for some of the oldest functions I added, since I was digging around in there anyway. Normally I would say that doing something like that (unless absolutely necessary) is a symptom of caring about how the code looks over the final product, but in this case, it allowed me to really simplify some of my newer code (and making it even easier than it already was to keep expanding the displays and sorted containers).

Because the scripts are the least exciting thing in the world to look at, have an actual picture of the Mojave instead, taken from the road that runs by my house (I loving hate people who litter, especially out here, because the Mojave is absolutely gorgeous).

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Mar 3, 2014

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Wasteland with trash everywhere that people never pick up? Definitely the Mojave.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I know. It almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Crimson Harvest posted:

Wasteland with trash everywhere that people never pick up? Definitely the Mojave.

Speaking seriously; given a nuclear war scenario, the Mojave survivors would probably fare halfway decently. When people think of a desert, they think dry and dead, but the Mojave is everything but. It's filled with tons of edible critters (coyotes, rabbits, chipmunks, squirrels; crows so big they could pass as turkeys), and the water table is within manual-drilling distance (~30-100 ft, depending on exact location). In my area (and I'm sure it's true for most of the rest of the Mojave), the utility supplied water already comes from a collection of local wells (including a number of now abandoned, but still existing hand-pump wells), and seasonal streams flow 5 months out of the year. While there's absolutely no hope of the electrical system surviving without massive rebuilding, a ton of power is made locally as well, through a collection of solar plants (both photo-voltaic and steam driven, sunlight collection towers), and wind-turbine farms.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

The King of Swag posted:

(I loving hate people who litter, especially out here, because the Mojave is absolutely gorgeous).

My parents and younger sister moved from central Ohio to southwest Tennessee. It's gorgeous country down there, marred only by the fact that it's full of Tennesseeans. Those animals throw trash everywhere. Their streams and pastures and roadsides are clogged not only with regular litter like paper and plastic bags and McDonalds cups, but, like, discarded furniture, busted televisions...just all kinds of junk. It's really depressing.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

My parents and younger sister moved from central Ohio to southwest Tennessee. It's gorgeous country down there, marred only by the fact that it's full of Tennesseeans. Those animals throw trash everywhere. Their streams and pastures and roadsides are clogged not only with regular litter like paper and plastic bags and McDonalds cups, but, like, discarded furniture, busted televisions...just all kinds of junk. It's really depressing.

They're just leaving some useful things for future post-apocalyptic generations :unsmith:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Nobody Interesting posted:

They're just leaving some useful things for future post-apocalyptic generations :unsmith:

Sounds like you listed scrap electronics, scrap metal, etc :V

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
How many clipboards with financial reports though?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

SeanBeansShako posted:

How many clipboards with financial reports though?

Enough to make the discerning hoarder over encumbered :negative:

Also, is there anything that can be done about flickering textures? I don't think unless the rads are particularly unpleasant the mountains in the distance should be dancing, changing shape or have rocks intermittently bursting through them. Additionally since installing Freeside Open I'm noticing a really annoying flicker on the roof of the Tops as I stroll down the main drag. There's flicker in other places too and it's just annoying.

NMC's and a few item/clutter retextures are the only ones I'm using. I'm sure the effect is more pronounced than in vanilla.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Also, is there anything that can be done about flickering textures? I don't think unless the rads are particularly unpleasant the mountains in the distance should be dancing, changing shape or have rocks intermittently bursting through them. Additionally since installing Freeside Open I'm noticing a really annoying flicker on the roof of the Tops as I stroll down the main drag. There's flicker in other places too and it's just annoying.

NMC's and a few item/clutter retextures are the only ones I'm using. I'm sure the effect is more pronounced than in vanilla.

This sounds like an LOD mesh issue, not a texturing issue.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Also, is there anything that can be done about flickering textures?
That's z-fighting which is a problem in Bethesda's engines since Oblivion and also happens in some other games. As far as I know there isn't a good fix for it.
You can try lowering the view distance settings (particularly object lod) to hide the problem somewhat.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I've played New Vegas so many times now, any time I reroll I do it mostly to just shoot bad guys in the face and explore mods. Because of this I typically use console commands to set different stats because I'm not doing it for the challenge anymore, so I set my carryweight waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay high so I can carry everything! Because I'm a compulsive hoarder. I honestly thought my previous install of LS was so buggy (crashed to desktop every time I tried to enter) because there was so much stuff inside.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Stopping by to recommend some mods:

Cheese the Brain-Damaged Centurion - "Special" companion. Has a series of quests, and you can gain karma by feeding him dirty water and junk food.

Tutorial Killer - Removes all the tutorial messages at the start of the game.

Karma Perks - Makes the karma system a little less useless by giving you perks based on karma alignment.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I rushed through OWB the first time I played it because it was campy as hell, and full of randomly appearing bullet-sponges. Now that I know everything the Sink is capable of producing, I'm picking up literally every single item everywhere. gently caress you, OWB. I'm taking my 400 Wonderglues, 400 scrap metals, and 300 empty syringes back to the Mojave.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Poop. I did find a Nexus forum post where some guy said he was working on adjusting the znear values in some meshes to try and mitigate the effect but nothing seems to have come of it in the end. Very annoying.

Oh well. It's not like it's the end of the world, eh?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Poop. I did find a Nexus forum post where some guy said he was working on adjusting the znear values in some meshes to try and mitigate the effect but nothing seems to have come of it in the end. Very annoying.

Oh well. It's not like it's the end of the world, eh?

Actually, it was!

Unless that's :thejoke:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I use the Hi Res LOD Mesh mod, with a crazy UGrids value and don't get that flickering anymore. I also have an ENB with a bunch of DOF effects which mask the lovely flickering nonsense.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

The King of Swag posted:

Let's just put it this way: by using all the (awesome) new functionality added in the newest version of NVSE, I've cut the amount of code I've needed to write by 10 times at least. But even with that improvement in efficiency, I've still written more lines of code than I have in full utility and science programs. If you haven't been following along, but you like what you see so far, I'd suggest going back a few pages and reading my updates, because they detail quite a few features I've put in (and how they work).

Speaking of features, you alerted me to something I needed to add; the ability for the stocking system to not only pull from containers, but also from the displays if the containers don't have enough items left to stock your inventory with. For those that are waiting for me to finish this mod, I'm sorry to say that today has been really slow going, as this feature took up the vast majority of my time today--it is done however, and I would say important I worked on it. Not just for the functionality itself, but because it allowed me to spot a really obscure bug in the stocking system that I would have never spotted otherwise. It also gave me the opportunity to refactor the API for some of the oldest functions I added, since I was digging around in there anyway. Normally I would say that doing something like that (unless absolutely necessary) is a symptom of caring about how the code looks over the final product, but in this case, it allowed me to really simplify some of my newer code (and making it even easier than it already was to keep expanding the displays and sorted containers).

Because the scripts are the least exciting thing in the world to look at, have an actual picture of the Mojave instead, taken from the road that runs by my house (I loving hate people who litter, especially out here, because the Mojave is absolutely gorgeous).

I'll take a look at it later on. It all sounds very interesting. I'll definitely take a look at those posts when I get a chance. If GECK scripting is a bit more pleasant, I may pop in when you're done to make a mod to work with the ammo master. Or a new ammo master, if I can convince myself it's worth doing.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 4, 2014

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

SpookyLizard posted:

I'll take a look at it later on. It all sounds very interesting. I'll definitely take a look at those posts when I get a chance. If GECK scripting is a bit more pleasant, I may pop in when you're done to make a mod to work with the ammo master. Or a new ammo master, if I can convince myself it's worth doing.

The sorting system doesn't care or even know about individual items and where they go; this means that items don't get sorted until you've put at least one of that item into a container, anywhere in the station. By handling it that way, it means the system is capable of sorting any item to any location, which gives the player full and final control over where stuff ends up. One of my pet peeves about existing sorting systems is that rarely does my idea of where things should be and where the mod thinks things should be, completely match.

The side benefit of this system, is that because the sorting system doesn't care or know about any given item, it works with all items by default--it doesn't even care if they're added by a mod later in the load order than Lombard Station Expanded is. It also allowed for me to extend that same principle to crafting stations; they pull any item from any container to craft with.

Of course, there are a couple of downsides to the system. Because the location each individual item is sorted to is entirely dependent on where the player has manually put that item first (an item isn't sorted if it isn't found in at least one container), a separate heuristic sort had to be written to give back the ability to go, "I don't give a poo poo where any of these new items go, just figure it out for me." Unfortunately heuristics will never be as accurate as massive pre-determined lists that define where every single vanilla item should go (the system other mods use for sorting). That said, the only time anyone is likely to rely on the heuristic sort is when they first gain access to Lombard Station, and only if they don't want to manually determine where they want their items to go.

The other downside is that to preserve sorting, the last item in a stack needs to stay in the container. One of the first options I added to the sorting system was a "Leave Last Item" option that would ensure your sorting is always preserved, but it does mean that with it on, you effectively have one less of an item (for every different container you store that item in) when it comes to the display walls and crafting.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

The King of Swag posted:

a separate heuristic sort had to be written to give back the ability to go, "I don't give a poo poo where any of these new items go, just figure it out for me."

Yeah, I think that one's going to be pretty popular. I don't know of any house mods that let you pick which containers things sort into. I expect most people just want pretty looking shelf displays and then real basic "guns here, drugs here, bullets there" pre-selected containers.

I guess it could be a chicken and egg scenario, in that if no house mod offers selectable sorting containers, nobody knows if they want it or not.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Compilation update: Merging scripts sucks rear end, especially since GECK likes to forget which masters the files have set so I end up with a bunch of broken plugins I have to fix in FNVedit.

I have updated all ingestibles to have effects "fixed" by YUP, adapted to jsawyer values, and to use the various effects from other mods like CCO (mainly the Determined trait) and adding in empty syringes, jet inhalers etc.

This is for all ingestibles, including stuff added by other mods. So all perks and chems will work as intended. I think my soul is slowly dying thanks to this tedium.

Drithius has been a busy body and I've had to update the core FOOK-PN-Convergence files several times, including completely remaking my work to include the new version of WMX.

The only quest mod I've included, since I think it's the only one worthwhile that isn't embarassing to play or just plain broken is Tales from the Burning Sands. I've also updated this to include it's food with the Project Nevada scripts so if food healing is switched off the new food/ingestibles added will not heal you unless you want them to.

I'm slowly compiling a list of all the mods I've included (basically most of NVEC apart from the terrible stuff), which is annoying as FOOK adds a few of these so I have to collate a few sources and remove mods I may have added inadvertently.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Saw some nonsense out of the Skyrim thread about cleaning the masters, so I figured I'd do it with New Vegas. So great, I saved some kilobytes and silenced BOSS warnings but did I actually get any benefit out of that?

Also made a merged patch and only really noticed that Rotface is now gone (running Freeside Open, I bought all the 100 cap tips). Not sure if that's connected, but it was interesting to see just how many conflicts I had. It is a bit fun how spergy this whole "make your game look prettier and have more stuff" thing is getting.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Saw some nonsense out of the Skyrim thread about cleaning the masters, so I figured I'd do it with New Vegas. So great, I saved some kilobytes and silenced BOSS warnings but did I actually get any benefit out of that?
No. Cleaning the DLC is kinda pointless to be honest. Especially for Skyrim people like to throw that around as if it's some magical cure for anything that can go wrong with the game. But it generally doesn't actually do anything.
Cleaning mods of unnecesary edits is always a good idea though.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Ddraig posted:

Compilation update: Merging scripts sucks rear end, especially since GECK likes to forget which masters the files have set so I end up with a bunch of broken plugins I have to fix in FNVedit.

I have updated all ingestibles to have effects "fixed" by YUP, adapted to jsawyer values, and to use the various effects from other mods like CCO (mainly the Determined trait) and adding in empty syringes, jet inhalers etc.

This is for all ingestibles, including stuff added by other mods. So all perks and chems will work as intended. I think my soul is slowly dying thanks to this tedium.

Drithius has been a busy body and I've had to update the core FOOK-PN-Convergence files several times, including completely remaking my work to include the new version of WMX.

The only quest mod I've included, since I think it's the only one worthwhile that isn't embarassing to play or just plain broken is Tales from the Burning Sands. I've also updated this to include it's food with the Project Nevada scripts so if food healing is switched off the new food/ingestibles added will not heal you unless you want them to.

I'm slowly compiling a list of all the mods I've included (basically most of NVEC apart from the terrible stuff), which is annoying as FOOK adds a few of these so I have to collate a few sources and remove mods I may have added inadvertently.

Man, you are really doing the Lord's work. Know that at least one person is waiting for this compilation to be released.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Right now I'm adding in little details to the world in general thanks to the many mods on the nexus that seem to share my incredible fetishism for making things as consistent as possible.

So in the Lucky 38 you'll now see that "Viva Las Vegas 2025!" crooked poster on the wall rather than what's actually there now etc.

Right now I'm looking at "My Kind of Town". I'm using the Outside Bets version which includes little flourishes like Danial Wyand getting removed, the dead bodies being cleaned up etc, but there's another mod that slightly changes the quest to renable the ability to "switch" sheriffs. Not sure if that will worth the effort to try and include. Right now, Primm has its reputation renabled (it had its own faction, like most major towns) and it's been expanded slightly with Primm Reborn, that includes a rather neat "boss" fight if you look around the town.

Nipton has the fires go out a day after you arrive there. Unlike other mods, it does not get cleaned up.. only the fires go out. I really doubt most people would be willing to go and risk the Legion to clean up a town that was widely regarded as a poo poo hole by everyone anyway.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Details huh?

You should consider making the No Mans Land between Nelson and Camp Forlorn Hope look more like a WW1-Esqe hell on earth. Take some inspiration perhaps from the The Mall in Fallout 3?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
As far as I'm aware, Outside Bets already does this. It mentions renabling a bunch of dead soldiers between Nelson/Forlorn Hope

Here's the mod page's description:

"Camp Forlorn Hope/Nelson

Restored - Random battles now once again take place in the no-man's land between camps.

Restored - Maimed and booby-trapped NCR troopers can now once again be found in the no-man's land between camps.

Restored - a huge number of NPCs that were disabled in both camps. Attacking either side will now be more difficult.

Restored - Post attack events. If 'We Are Legion' is successfully completed, The Legion storm the camp and kill anyone left, and dump the bodies in a mass grave in the graveyard. After two days it will then be infested by Cazadores. Nelson will now actually be occupied by NCR troops if they take the location back."

Since I've included ADAM I really find myself annoyed with the "Here's some free armor" whatever stance a lot of these mods takes. I was thinking of adding the Defaced Ranger Armor to a booby-trapped dead ranger somewhere. Picking a good location is tricky, though. I was thinking somewhere around Vault 3 would be appropriate, as the Fiends already have a history of using dead bodies to lure people into traps, and a dead ranger is good bait.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 6, 2014

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
Ton of stuff done since the last update, so bear with me on this one.

All the scripting that makes basic displays work, is done.

This includes the code necessary to make display items work with the sorting and stocking systems, as well as for crafting. Examples of the basic displays are the kitchen, books and medical displays, and I call them basic displays because they don't need any of the special functionality the other types of displays need (weapon wall and ammo shelves). The location of the items are fixed in place, and you can take them individually off the shelves and stock the display as a whole; same thing everyone is already pretty well used to.

As I've said before, the advanced displays have working prototypes, but they aren't completely fleshed out yet (as they're in the armory, and I've been focusing on the living area for a while now, in an attempt to get it done and out of the way). As I've described before, the weapon displays work on individual items. You carry the exact weapon you want to mount over to the wall (or drop it at the wall, either way), and it'll be mounted in its proper place. This allows you to later walk up to the wall, and grab that exact weapon back off the wall, all without ever opening a container.

As for the ammo shelves, I need to experiment more with it as it's a more recent prototype, but I'm hoping to make it so that you can put your ammo onto the exact shelf you want, instead of it being on a pre-defined shelf. I actually want the ammo shelves to behave exactly like the basic displays, except that you define what type of ammo each shelf will carry, by carrying the ammo type you want over to that shelf, much the same as the weapon wall. Carrying a box of ammo (any amount) over to an empty shelf will link that ammo type to that shelf, and that ammo will then be stocked to that location. Emptying that shelf and carrying over a different type of ammo will change what's stocked there. The stack size of the box of ammo you carry over will determine how many rounds each box on the shelf gives you when you pick it up / how many it takes to stock a single box.

I just want to stress that while the weapon wall prototype is pretty drat solid and just needs expanding for all the weapons displayed, the ammo shelves prototype is a really early prototype, and while I've worked out how I want it to work, it isn't fully functional to the same level of the weapon wall prototype (not even close). The most important thing I've done with it so far is proven that what I want to do is possible, and that I've gotten a [code] design put together in my head (which sounds like it's easy, but is actually quite difficult when you haven't done anything like it before).

Kitchen and Medical displays are done entirely.

I'm not just talking about the code necessary to put them together, I mean everything. Laying them out, creating all the static meshes and custom textures needed. They're complete and I'm proud to say they look great.

The scripting needed for crafting is done (Edit: I forgot this one)

All the scripting needed to make crafting work properly is done. When you go to craft at the oven or reloading bench or wherever, all the items in the station are pooled into your inventory, including modded items. You do your crafting and when done, all the items that were put into your inventory are properly sorted back to where they were (assuming you have the option to keep the last item in the container, turned on [is by default]). One thing that was quite a bit of extra work to implement, but I felt was important, is that the system tracks what items were originally in your inventory, so when everything is sorted back, it doesn't just sort everything. The end result is that your inventory before and after crafting should be as close as possible.

The library (book and magazine) display is partially done.

The library display doesn't even come close to the other two in scale, but I've only recently finished the other two and started on this one, so it's only partially complete at this point.

Custom building texturing is done.

While working on the displays the other day, I noticed that the vanilla textures for the utility building pieces (which are the pieces the station itself is made up of) were really ugly. Not ugly in that they were really poor textures, but ugly in that they don't fit at all. The I-Beams for example are completely rusted and rotted out in the default texture, with huge flakes of rust coming off them. Living out here, I can tell you that things just don't rust that way in the Mojave; steel and iron develop a rich, deep reddish purple color (patina), that actually helps to insulate the metal from further corrosion. Unless something is just bathed in moisture all the time, the rust that most people are familiar with just doesn't occur, and items inside and out of the elements tend not to even patina that much. Instead of a rich patina, iron/steel items left inside tend to develop dark spots and blotchiness on them over the years, especially where they've been touched or had fluids on them. So I redid all the metal building textures (and their normal maps), to fall in-line with what you'd expect to see in real life. Everything now either has that splotchiness I mentioned, or a light patina to it (or a mixture of both). Fair warning, these are largely still the vanilla textures, I just did a lot of level and channel adjustments on them, to get the proper look, then created new normal maps to match.

The next update

Unfortunately the next update probably won't be for at least a week, as tomorrow I need to take off for Arizona, and I'll be gone for 3 days at least. Give 3-4 days of working on LSE before I have something worth updating about, and you're looking right at a week from now. So hopefully I'll have something really bitching to share with you at that time.

I'll leave you with some pictures of the final kitchen and medical displays.

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 7, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I can't wait to store all my junk there.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Is the link in the OP still the place to go for the (constantly new) Lombard Station, or did you have a separate one for the updates? I scrolled back through everything and didn't know if you were actively updating the .fomod as you make all these rad changes and so forth.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Fasdar posted:

Is the link in the OP still the place to go for the (constantly new) Lombard Station, or did you have a separate one for the updates? I scrolled back through everything and didn't know if you were actively updating the .fomod as you make all these rad changes and so forth.

No, the version I'm working on (Lombard Station Expanded) doesn't even use the original plugins anymore. The first thing I did before I even changed anything, was create a custom compiled plugin, where I merged LombardStation.esp and all of the DLC extensions into a single file. That said, once I started really digging, I found that all of the original scripting was unsalvageable for what I wanted to do, and most of the objects in the station needed drastic changing, so as I've worked on different areas, the amount of original LS content in that area drops rapidly. The living area for example is almost done (the library display and decor are all that's left, then I'll move back to working on the armory / machine-shop section), and has none of the original LS scripting or objects remaining in it--only the general floor layout remains. Even items that looked like they haven't been changed (such as the book shelves), have actually been replaced by different objects with the same vanilla model.

I think Naky said it best when we were talking the other day; the version of LS I'm working on is really more of a re-imagining of the station, using the same background story. Even though I started working from a merged version of the LS plugin, it really has only served as a template so far. All that said, I'm grateful Omnicarus created LS to begin with, because I've said before, LS is not something I would have thought up on my own, and what I have now is something I would have never been able to create had there not been a LS to use as a template to build from.

Enough gabbing, I decided to launch the original LS in the GECK, to take some comparison screenshots of the living area.

Original Lombard Station

Lombard Station Expanded

P.S. I'll be hitting the road in a few hours. It's going to be a lot of driving.

Edit: I'm sorry, I realized after the fact that I had my head so far up my rear end talking about what LSE is and isn't, that I didn't even properly answer your question. The answer is unfortunately no, because as it stands right now, LSE isn't fully functional. Although the sorting system and basic displays are now complete, none of the original LS scripting still exists, so things like the weapon wall and ammo displays aren't complete.

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 7, 2014

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Actually you kinda did with the first word in your post (no). I think it's pretty rad what you're doing. I was planning on writing some plugins to make it compatible with some more popular mods (Project Nevada's Equipment, LPAM, my own ammo master). But that seems pretty unnecessary right now.

Still thinking of rewriting the ammo master from the ground up to fully make the ammo crafting more consistent from the ground up.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
If someone wants to do something ammo related, I'd like to see a properly done ammo resource. CaliberX is such a poo poo mod created by such a poo poo mod author that I refuse to use it on any level. It'd be nice to have a clean, well done ammo resource master made. One that improves the stock ammo resources like GTab's but also adds a lot of the more common ammunition types without getting to nitty gritty sperg levels.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Case 2 has a lot of ammo types but no recipes unless you get other less good mods (but dose put them in leveled lists).

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Naky posted:

If someone wants to do something ammo related, I'd like to see a properly done ammo resource. CaliberX is such a poo poo mod created by such a poo poo mod author that I refuse to use it on any level. It'd be nice to have a clean, well done ammo resource master made. One that improves the stock ammo resources like GTab's but also adds a lot of the more common ammunition types without getting to nitty gritty sperg levels.

That's the trick, isn't it? Finding that line. I'm hoping to make some things fit a bit more sensibly, condense GRA into regular everything else, and maybe give each ammo type a proper different amount of subtypes, plus adding any commmon types without getting too crazy. Plus the useful stuff already present, like Brass, Plastic, the extra recipes for breaking down/making explosives from/with powders, and maybe some perk tweaking. Gonna have to dive into the geck whole hog tonight after work and start planning this thing out.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Look at those walls full of stuff :neckbeard:

Could I ask that you provide a spoilered list in a README or summat saying what each shelf is filled with? That's my biggest frustration with LS right now; I have no idea what I need to fill up my ammo shelves and kitchen.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I know I'm missing something obvious here, but I'm running Tale of Two Wastelands for the first time; how do I cook stuff? Their forums imply that people are cooking in the capital wasteland but I haven't found anything interactable yet.

e: you know what, I finally ran into an interactable oven here in Springdale, so I guess they do exist! Disregard, I am dumb

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Dose any one know a way to get 2 perks every level, I know its overpowered but I'd like to use more perks in my next playthrough.