Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I installed some Lebaron hood vents in my TJ last night. It was just about the worst grinding job I've ever done but I think it looks pretty good. I still have to do the finish work, cleaning up the cuts, painting the metal, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow looks great on the outside, and that's all that really matters.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

I like your bumper :3:

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Did you make any drip pans yet? I'm looking for ideas on how to do some that aren't complete rear end like the PO I got my vents from.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Sandbagger SA posted:

I like your bumper :3:

Thanks - Sawzall did the trick!

Philip J Fry posted:

Did you make any drip pans yet? I'm looking for ideas on how to do some that aren't complete rear end like the PO I got my vents from.

No I'm not going to worry about drip pans - They block ventilation, I park in a garage, and I live in southern California where we don't get a lot of rain. That being said, I put the vents in last night and now I'm going to an event in the desert where it is supposed to POUR for the whole weekend :(

If I wanted to do drip pans I think it would be pretty easy. The way I mounted them using 1" #8 screws would make it easy to just slap a plate on and hold it with a couple more nuts. Probably using a longer bolt though. I hope to not have any water-related problems but this weekend ought to figure that out!

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
I'm sure you'll be fine; you can just put something over them like a floor mat while it's parked. While it's running, the 4.0 puts out more than enough heat to instantly vaporize any water.

I live in the PNW and have had them on for almost two full years now and haven't had any major issues, but I do get the occasional rough ignition (delayed enough for the anti-grind in my remote start to kick in and not remote start) if it's been sitting in the rain for a while. It's only happened maybe half a dozen times at the most, but it's annoying when it does. Probably the TPS getting damp or something; guess I'll slather it in some die-electric grease for now and try to make a simple cover for the throttle sensors instead of drip pans. Just in time for spring and summer!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Chef Bromden posted:

I think the engine support bracket is in the way, there's only like 1 1/2" clearance between the engine and the bracket. Any ideas how to work around it?

I don't have the equipment to pull the engine block if it comes to that. If I can't get at it, is it crazy to drive around the corner to a mechanic?

Mine (also a 4-banger) did exactly the same thing when I switched from idiot lights to gauges.
I had to jack up the engine and remove the engine mount, both the frame and the engine side, since they are interlocking. and both in the way, to get an ease out in the stub of the fitting. You might be able to get to it with less work - after all the time I took removing the mount (not a lot of access to the bolts), it took very little effort to get the stub out. If you're ease-out is short enough, you may be able to get it out using an open end wrench on the ease-out, rather than a tap handle.
As Kastein recommended, I got a 1/8" NPT, 90-degree fitting at Home Depot to replace the factory item (apparently made out of aged cheese.)

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Astonishing Wang posted:

I live in southern California it is supposed to POUR for the whole weekend :(

Don't you dare complain! I'm dying for rain.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
Can I go ahead and post my "free to a good home, double-free if you can pick it up" list before I move? Everything is XJ/MJ. If it's an MJ part, it's probably shown in the first post of my neglected thread about my neglected Comanche. It's all in Asheville, NC.

'01 XJ entire suspension - leaves, coils, swaybars, everything. Came off my rust-free XJ at ~95k when I went full OME/JKS.
'00 XJ entire suspension - my buddy bought an XJ identical to mine and did the same. As a joke. (Really, he bought the same color/package, same bumper stickers, 30x9.5 BFG ATs on TJ Canyons, OME/JKS suspension, everything.) ~155k, so perhaps not as nice.
'90 AX15 trans (internal slave with bellhousing), 173k. Came out of my MJ when I went whole-hog and threw in a '94 external-slave trans when the internal slave finally stopped leaking and blew. PO had the trans fluid changed with GL5 roughly 300mi prior to my ownership, so I offer no guarantees. Shifted great for me!
'94 4.0 HO flywheel. Came off my '94 engine/trans donor, but I used the '87-'90 flywheel to keep the Renix CPS happy.
'90 Comanche Pioneer bench and seatbelts, gray. Really nice shape aside from a tear and some saggy foam.
'90 Comanche Pioneer non-tilt steering column and wheel, gray.
'90 black dash bezel, with factory silvery accents on the raised bits.
'90 black dash bezel, sans silvery accents.
'90 lower dash kickpanel/ashtray, gray. Small crack just right of center.
'90 door panels, gray. Includes armrests.
'90 Cherokee Briarwood panel armrests, agate. Think gray... but darker.
'01 Sport agate door panels, PW/PL with control boards.
'92 Cherokee manual seat brackets. I don't know off the top of my head what years these fit, but I want to say up to '94?
'01 Cherokee Sport steel wheels (all apart from my spare). I painted these graphite when I was in high school. It was 2001, screw you. Still look fresh.
'90 black door handles (front Cherokee, all Comanche, whoa)
'90 black side mirrors
Not-'90 black headlight buckets & grille (I forget the interchange, but I believe '90 was a one-off year and my truck had the incorrect pieces - may be '91-'96).
'87-'90 4.0 EGR intake manifold, airbox, EGR solenoid, etc.
'87-'90 4.0 throttle body
'90 4.0 valve cover (the last of the ones that have "AMC" cast into 'em).
'90 mechanical fan & good clutch
'94 4.0 distributor

I also have factory tape decks, HVAC vents (with and without aforementioned silvery accents), Renix- and HO-era factory clocks, foglight/defroster/etc switch panels, and who knows what else.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
So, either my buddy and I are noobs with snap rings or they're just something engineers do because they don't have to gently caress with them. Took nine hours to put the sye on. Now it's time to put the actual lift on :suicide:.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

EightBit posted:

So, either my buddy and I are noobs with snap rings or they're just something engineers do because they don't have to gently caress with them. Took nine hours to put the sye on. Now it's time to put the actual lift on :suicide:.
What kind of circlip pliers are you using? poo poo ones make life an utter misery compared to decent ones (note that this does not mean cheap vs expensive).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
What is a good one? I've yet to find one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
In my experience, those cheap sets of four or so are often decent enough, partly because you don't mind taking a Dremel to them or bending them a little to get the perfect fit on a particularly tricky job.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

InitialDave posted:

What kind of circlip pliers are you using? poo poo ones make life an utter misery compared to decent ones (note that this does not mean cheap vs expensive).

These bastard rings don't have eyelets in them, so spreading them makes the pliers push in and pop off of the angled part of the ring.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ok, that's a bit poo poo. Not sure - I bet there's a tool that'll work perfectly for those, but the only thing I can think of is to Dremel a slot in the tips of the pliers.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Those are lockrings, not snaprings. Using snapring pliers on them is, in fact, infuriating.

I can't get a direct link to the ones I have because sears website is an abomination, but google "sears lock ring pliers" and get the ones with flat tips and red handles. They make it a breeze, and are a whopping 16 dollars.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, there's a whole US vs British terminology thing here. What you normally call snaprings are circlips, and "lockring" to me means a threaded locking collar. Ironically, "snapring" actually does refer to the exact thing he's talking about.

This is why I once encountered a technical/engineering Japanese dictionary where everything was illustrated, so the only translation you actually needed was "Look, I need one of these bastards".

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Godholio posted:

Post up the result...I've only got a couple thousand miles before I go through and do the same.

Verdict is in on Full Redline Fluids in the driveline. 3000km since changed from stock Mopar. 2000km roadtrip + 1000km city driving.

1.0L/100km improvement on the highway and 0.5L/100km improvement in the city.

Overall I'm quite happy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There have been over 2000 posts since I last read this thread. Yikes.

I've been looking into either a 4x4 or another Cherokee for winter duties and I think the Jeep is winning the battle. I know 1999 is the best of the best (what I originally owned) but otherwise I've forgotten everything I knew about them. I'm jut at the early stages here, probably won't pick anything up until well into summer and prepare it from there but basically I want to build a handle anything winter ride. What's the best mix of options that I should look for? What should I avoid? Which 4x4 system is best? Treat me like a Jeep newb, I want to do this right and if possible, make it affordable.

Here's a few locally, what could I expect to encounter from these?

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/4315210454.html

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/4337911344.html

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Bought motor mounts to plop my 305 into my yj. Major purchases left include a Barnes flat skid plate, sm465 trans, and an axle to replace the d35 the first time I let out the clutch.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
So there's a new Jeep cute 'ute, the Renegade: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/04/2015-jeep-renegade-deep-dive-official-photos-geneva/

Meh. If it helps them keep building Wranglers I'm fine with it though.

I have a feeling in 20 years we're going to look back at the Italian owned days of Jeep and see them stick out like a sore thumb, for better or worse.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Eh..I didn't know there was a segment that Jeep was missing out on, but hey, never know I guess. From what I read earlier, it's built over a Panda, so I guess I'm guiltily intrigued, though I'll never own one, could be cool to see em on the internets.

But I own a WJ with the 4.7, so what do I know!

Speaking of which, it's pissing coolant and I have a vacuum leak on a line coming off the throttle body.

Wheeeee, I get to replace the transmission cooler lines, high pressure hydraulic fan line and brakes soon!

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I hated that matte sea green Renegade people posted but it looks really good in red. If it's capable off-road and the transmission isn't a turd, it could do well. I like it more than I like the Cherokee, Patriot, Compass, or the outgoing Liberty, that's for sure.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I liked the outside of the second gen Liberty, but I have no idea about the interior or powertrain really.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gileadexile posted:

I liked the outside of the second gen Liberty, but I have no idea about the interior or powertrain really.

Ugh, those are turds. My friend has one and it's just so lacking in power.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
If there's one thing that doesn't need to get any cuter it's Jeeps.

Ugh.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
I get why they made it; it makes perfect sense for its original target market of Europe. I'm sure it'll get along just fine against Vauxhalls and Citroens and the Fiat it's built on.

Not entirely sure why they then decided the rest of the world needed it, but it'll probably do well in their stated US market of Juke, xB, and Soul buyers. While looking hideous. Which those buyers like.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Wamsutta posted:

I hated that matte sea green Renegade people posted but it looks really good in red. If it's capable off-road and the transmission isn't a turd, it could do well. I like it more than I like the Cherokee, Patriot, Compass, or the outgoing Liberty, that's for sure.

This is pretty much where I am. Heck, it kinda reminds me of the Jimny.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow I didn't realize it was based on a Panda platform. It really must be pretty small--tough to tell from the pics. Would be kind of neat to have a modern day Suzuki Sidekick or other tiny offroader.

In trailhawk trim it doesn't look too bad:

I'm curous what the price will be on them. If it's over $25k, forget it IMHO. New car prices are getting stupidly high these days. A fully optioned out Cherokee is pushing $40k!

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

mod sassinator posted:

Would be kind of neat to have a modern day Suzuki Sidekick or other tiny offroader.

But without aluminum diff housings.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mod sassinator posted:

Would be kind of neat to have a modern day Suzuki Sidekick or other tiny offroader.
Meanwhile, in the rest of the world:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

InitialDave posted:

Meanwhile, in the rest of the world:

Stick a couple more slots on that grill and slap a Jeep badge on it. Done.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

http://www.wftv.com/gallery/news/local/photos-i-4-and-sr-434-car-fire/gCJNT/#4702242

Kinda hard to make out, but that's a JKU there that is fully engulfed in flames. The guy was local to me and I've met him a few times. Had a badass rig. 5.5" RK lift, 40" Pitbulls and a poo poo load of other work done to the Jeep. Not sure exactly how the fire started yet but have heard that he is ok.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

At some point, me and a couple people in here were talking about the old-school AMC jeep logos, and how they wanted them.

Well, guess what just surfaced on ebay?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
This is pretty cool:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/4361245721.html

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I'm getting some pretty decently heavy clunks/pops/slaps that I can feel through the driver's side floor when I drive my XJ on our super hosed ice-covered pothole boulevards. They just started after I got an oilchange and my mechanic noted "some" play in the trackbar. I've had play for a little while but these noises and sounds are new.

Is that normal trackbar/trackbar bushing play that I'm hearing? It honestly kinda sounds like a shock mount is busted or something but the driver's side shock seems solidly attached. I was going to wait until all the crap on our roads melted before replacing the trackbar but it seems like maybe I need to do it sooner.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I'm getting some pretty decently heavy clunks/pops/slaps that I can feel through the driver's side floor when I drive my XJ on our super hosed ice-covered pothole boulevards. They just started after I got an oilchange and my mechanic noted "some" play in the trackbar. I've had play for a little while but these noises and sounds are new.

Is that normal trackbar/trackbar bushing play that I'm hearing? It honestly kinda sounds like a shock mount is busted or something but the driver's side shock seems solidly attached. I was going to wait until all the crap on our roads melted before replacing the trackbar but it seems like maybe I need to do it sooner.

I had this problem with my XJ and it ended up being loose bolts on the track bar mount where it attaches to the driver side frame rail. I believe it's 3 bolts that hold it to the frame. I tightened those and the sounds went away.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Well I just had the most horrifying phone call of my life. I recently did a long drive (1200km each way, there and back in the space of 2 days) in my 2010 Wrangler JK and on the way up, my gears starting playing up. I think it's possible that I jolted reverse whilst shifting into sixth, accidentally. Anyway, sixth and fifth seemed to be a bit strange but I could shift into them so I kept going. When I got to my destination, reverse was suddenly not working. It felt like I couldn't fully shift into the gear, and when I'd try to bring the clutch out to engage it'd grind and not engage. I avoided reverse since and drove back with no issues, fifth and sixth both engaging properly. But reverse still wouldn't, unless I leant all my weight on the stick in which case I could sometimes get it into gear.

I took it to my mechanic when I got back to town and they've just called me to say they ~think~ it's the housing and that it's going to cost me ~AUD$4000 to fix. Cheaper slightly for a secondhand gearbox, more if they find other issues. I asked them to confirm whether they actually think that is the issue before I commit to anything and I'm thinking of getting a second opinion.

Have any other Jeephavers had this issue? I'm so dumbfounded and I have no idea where I'm going to find that kind of money. I'm getting married and leaving for the USA in the next 12 months and that's already stretching my budget and savings to the limit. I am way up poo poo creek here :(

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Sharks Below posted:

Well I just had the most horrifying phone call of my life. I recently did a long drive (1200km each way, there and back in the space of 2 days) in my 2010 Wrangler JK and on the way up, my gears starting playing up. I think it's possible that I jolted reverse whilst shifting into sixth, accidentally. Anyway, sixth and fifth seemed to be a bit strange but I could shift into them so I kept going. When I got to my destination, reverse was suddenly not working. It felt like I couldn't fully shift into the gear, and when I'd try to bring the clutch out to engage it'd grind and not engage. I avoided reverse since and drove back with no issues, fifth and sixth both engaging properly. But reverse still wouldn't, unless I leant all my weight on the stick in which case I could sometimes get it into gear.

I took it to my mechanic when I got back to town and they've just called me to say they ~think~ it's the housing and that it's going to cost me ~AUD$4000 to fix. Cheaper slightly for a secondhand gearbox, more if they find other issues. I asked them to confirm whether they actually think that is the issue before I commit to anything and I'm thinking of getting a second opinion.

Have any other Jeephavers had this issue? I'm so dumbfounded and I have no idea where I'm going to find that kind of money. I'm getting married and leaving for the USA in the next 12 months and that's already stretching my budget and savings to the limit. I am way up poo poo creek here :(

I'm sorry about your problems, but you drive a

Just
Empty
Every
Ppocket

Keep some cash handy for breakagesunplanned upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You could probably fly to the US, buy a gearbox, bring it back and pay someone to fit it for less than that.