Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

I had a great manager a couple of years ago who explictly stated that his most important task was being a bouncer for the IT dept and shield us from the stupidity of users and other managers.

This is the reason I've been happy at my last two IT jobs, I have a manager who's willing to back us up when customers try to come at us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Che Delilas posted:

I'm going to take a wild stab at what your client actually saw when they read your first email.

You tripped a circuit breaker in their brain when you tried running more than a single amp's worth of technical terminology through the circuit. I mean, an abbreviation AND an acronym back to back? What were you thinking?

More like "Hey guys I sorted out your SSL ce-..."

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Yeah definitely. I didn't explicitly tell him to take the job, at the end of the day it's his decision. It's just frustrating because I didn't appreciate how poo poo the company was until I took the leap and left. I don't think he will either, and he's too scared to take the leap.

There's a certain martyrdom at work there and a real fear that they won't be as Important in their new position. They cant discern the difference between actually being valued by their boss and these vague bullshit words.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So an update.

We still have one site offline. The general consensus is there is a configuration issue on one of the hops between us and the remote site, but no one of the three parties involved knows who manages it. As an added bonus one of our RODC's is throwing RPC errors and wont replicate. The BES server itself works, but wont connect to the network. Then I find out that DFS for all the sites is messed up right now.

Gonna be a busy day I think

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 4, 2014

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

blackswordca posted:

So an update.

We still have one site offline. The general consensus is there is a configuration issue on one of the hops between us and the remote site, but no one of the three parties involved knows who manages it. As an added bonus one of our RODC's is throwing RPC errors and wont replicate. The BES server itself works, but wont connect to the network. Then I find out that DFS for all the sites is messed up right now.

Gonna be a busy day I think

Any one of those things on its own is a nightmare. You need to get the hell out of there.

Ever thought about moving to Portland Oregon?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Cavepimp posted:

Any one of those things on its own is a nightmare. You need to get the hell out of there.

I really need to move to Portland and get out of Iowa before next winter. So much better weather. And trees, there are actually trees instead of all the corn!

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

GreenNight posted:

I got ~80 iPhone 5's in today. Apparently Verizon offered us a deal, free iPhone 5s for each employee that still has an iPhone 4. I didn't know this until they showed up on my desk. Weeee

Tell your boss you want to perform an experiment on employee treatment of company property, then start a rumor that they are "replacements for broken phones" and chart the "accidental" damage rates over time with the rumor clearly marked on the chart. Present chart to bosses in 1 week when you're out of iPhones.

edit: Not that it will do anything, it would just be funny.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Luckily I'm only dealing with phones for internal users, which are usually in pretty drat good shape. Someone else is dealing with the field guys. The poor bastard. We have to send all the old phones back into Verizon.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Cavepimp posted:

I'm convinced he's a bot that just scans and greps out random IT horror stories and them dumps them into us with a few keywords added so it all looks recognizable.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Cavepimp posted:

What are you hiring for now?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'm convinced he's a bot that just scans and greps out random IT horror stories and them dumps them into us with a few keywords added so it all looks recognizable.

Probably an effort to make sure everyone else's job sounds incredible by comparison.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Indeed, blackswordca is the hero we deserve

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

kensei posted:

What are you hiring for now?

Same position I posted a year and a half ago. Half help desk, half Jr Windows sysadmin stuff. This guy I hired is not working out (see my post at the bottom of the last page). I put it in the job thread.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

He really hit all the bases for this thread. Should I ask him if he has stairs?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Krishna knows where it's at.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Khisanth Magus posted:

I really need to move to Portland and get out of Iowa before next winter. So much better weather. And trees, there are actually trees instead of all the corn!

So long as you bring your job with you, the Beaver State welcomes you.

e: California go home

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

stubblyhead posted:

So long as you bring your job with you, the Beaver State welcomes you.

e: California go home

Californians will ask you what city is between X(city) and Y(city). When you say, "nothing, it's just trees and/or farmland," they can't figure out what you mean.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Che Delilas posted:

Californians will ask you what city is between X(city) and Y(city). When you say, "nothing, it's just trees and/or farmland," they can't figure out what you mean.

My reply living in Iowa would be "Corn." Which is depressing as hell, I hate seeing corn.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Migishu posted:

Krishna knows where it's at.

He's the loving best IT man ever to exist and inevitably when he leaves I will be crushed.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Khisanth Magus posted:

My reply living in Iowa would be "Corn." Which is depressing as hell, I hate seeing corn.

We've got soybeans, cattle, hogs, and the Roseman Covered Bridge. Come on!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

totalnewbie posted:

We've got soybeans, cattle, hogs, and the Roseman Covered Bridge. Come on!
If you want to talk covered bridges, Oregon is ready to throw down.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
"Printer is out of toner"

"What colour?"

"I dont know."

"..."

"..."

Black. It was out of black.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Swink posted:

"What colour?"

"I dont know."

"..."

"..."

Black is a shade!

I sent someone else to take care of the art department's printer at that point

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Swink posted:

"What colour?"

"I dont know."

"..."

"..."

So it's all of them!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Today I had a Microsoft ticket sit so long (1 week) after we replied to the MS support guy (20 minutes) that our sales rep for MS has started to inquire as to what is happening.

:downs:

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007

BabyFur Denny posted:

Well, the iPhone 5 is only for those people who return their iPhone 4...

hahaha, sure!

:v: Can I get a new iPhone 5, my old iPhone got lost.
:) Sure! Let me remote wipe the old phone real quick just in case.
:silent:
:commissar:

daughter has a "new" iPhone I guess.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Emushka posted:

hahaha, sure!

:v: Can I get a new iPhone 5, my old iPhone got lost.
:) Sure! Let me remote wipe the old phone real quick just in case.
:silent:
:commissar:

daughter has a "new" iPhone I guess.

Looking up on the Apple site, iOS 7 apparently includes Activation Lock too, preventing that iPhone from ever being re-used without your credentials.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 5, 2014

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
I got a request for a "computer with many cores" to "run a calculation" a few months back.

Well I had a user with a spare computation node with 8 cores and 32gb of ram and asked him if he'd allow this other person to utilize it for her request. He agreed, so I began setting it up.

She later discussed her program with another professor with much more competence in HPC applications/etc and he realized her problem would take 4000-5000 core hours.

I called our HPC guys to see if they could set her an account up on one of their larger clusters to bring the return time down to a day or so, they agreed, and got it all setup under linux, offered to train her to submit a job, etc.

She says it won't work on linux. The other professor needed his spare node, I said gently caress it and put her on a pentium4 dual core i had laying about with 2gb of ram.

Welp.

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Looking up on the Apple site, iOS 7 apparently includes Activation Lock too, preventing that iPhone from ever being re-used without your credentials.

thanks for the tip!!! :cheers:

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
That guy I got a job offer for at another company, the one who turned it down? He broke down crying in the office today, in front of everyone :(

I think he realised he made a mistake.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

That guy I got a job offer for at another company, the one who turned it down? He broke down crying in the office today, in front of everyone :(

Is it too late for him to reconsider the offer?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So I am still fighting with this eTime business, and while I sort of have a kiosk setup that works, you must be able to login to the VPN to connect to it. Problem: 80% of employees do not have rights to login to the VPN(mostly just team leads, salaried folk and managers do,) and security refuses to give them to them because "they don't need VPN to access eTime."

So we need:
1> A shared VPN access account that can be used as a persistent connection
-or-
2> To get everyone an account with proper privileges.

NOPE

quote:

To summarize, a person in a position of authority (Team Lead, Manager, etc.) will be able to log on to the computer and connect to the VPN. From there they will need to be present at the computer while employees are clocking in and clocking out via E-time.

Ah that's cool, let me spend my morning sitting and babysitting a computer that has a short lockout I can't alter due to GP for 30-60 minutes while everyone shows up.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

I wish I could be less harsh, but sounds like a grade-A loving idiot. You can't help everyone, dude.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is it too late for him to reconsider the offer?

I've told him to reconsider. He said he is going to think about it. I'm going for a meal with him and another co-worker on Monday. I'll try to convince him then. (The company's having trouble finding someone with his skills, so it shouldn't be too hard to ask if the job's still there.)

ElGroucho posted:

I wish I could be less harsh, but sounds like a grade-A loving idiot. You can't help everyone, dude.

Yeah, you're right. He's a pushover. Oh well.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ElGroucho posted:

Management has all sorts of manipulative tricks to keep people in jobs that they should really quit. You can't help everyone and you definitely shouldn't risk your own career to help someone, but if he has a valuable skill it's not a waste of time to try and talk some sense into him.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

So I am still fighting with this eTime business, and while I sort of have a kiosk setup that works, you must be able to login to the VPN to connect to it. Problem: 80% of employees do not have rights to login to the VPN(mostly just team leads, salaried folk and managers do,) and security refuses to give them to them because "they don't need VPN to access eTime."

So we need:
1> A shared VPN access account that can be used as a persistent connection
-or-
2> To get everyone an account with proper privileges.

NOPE

Ah that's cool, let me spend my morning sitting and babysitting a computer that has a short lockout I can't alter due to GP for 30-60 minutes while everyone shows up.

Load up autohotkey with a script that makes a key press every (lockout time minus 10 seconds) to trick windows into thinking its in use.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I've told him to reconsider. He said he is going to think about it.

Wait, he broke down crying at work and he's still "going to think about it"? gently caress him. You're pissing in the well and he's intentionally not even floating up on it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Great Beer posted:

Load up autohotkey with a script that makes a key press every (lockout time minus 10 seconds) to trick windows into thinking its in use.

It's locked down as hell. Can't install software.

I just fired up another box with Win 7 running XP mode, so no more group policy. It doesn't even necessarily have to be on the domain for this to work just the VPN. So this way it can sit for weeks on in logged in as the boss. (shrug) oh well.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Can you run an exe file? Look for MouseJiggler, it's a little program that simulates tiny mouse movements. I use it on all our conf room computers since Security didn't want to change the screensaver timeout even though we already have a separate GP for them. edit: ^Or that works too.

I'm glad our timekeeping system just consists of typing your times (rounded off to the nearest half-hour) into a personal excel sheet and then mailing it in at the end of the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Inspector_666 posted:

Wait, he broke down crying at work and he's still "going to think about it"? gently caress him. You're pissing in the well and he's intentionally not even floating up on it.

If only Emotionally Battered Worker Syndrome was actually a condition...

• Locked thread