Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
Left early so I wouldn't have to deal with as many other people on the road. Apart from a couple dumbasses that thought that just because they couldn't see the lines on the road that they were entitled to all of it it really wasn't half as bad as I expected. Also after about halfway home I started following a truck that was dumping grit on the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

I was actually counting up in the edit before I figured screw it, we're at 4 inches or so now.

I was just being a jerk and wanted an excuse to post that picture. I took it shortly after the last round of winter/snow related posts in this thread.

4 inches of snow isn't anything for me, being in Canada and all. I have an SUV with AWD and winter tires, so I'm set. Though we also have more plows around, which may not be the case where you are. I don't blame you for staying where you are, especially if you have a tiny car, even more so if you are in a place that doesn't usually get much snow.

In regards to the post above, that's my biggest problem with driving in the snow, all the other drivers. The worst are the ones who constantly tap the breaks while the roads are covered in snow.

Alereon posted:

They call me the Google SME (Subject Matter Expert) now because of the number of times people walk up to my desk, ask me a question, and I Google it in front of them to answer it.

This is what I do too. You'd think people would pick up on the fact that they could just google it themselves. Nope, they still waste their time coming to find me so I can type a few words into Google search to find their answers. Computers run on magic.

poo poo pissing me off: ISPs. Took me way longer than I care to admit to notice that my firewall rules were actually working correctly. I spent so much time trying to figure out why our new guest LAN was able to ping one of our remote DCs but not the other, when my firewall rules didn't allow access to either and were mirror copies of each other. Both remote subnets are connected via VPN tunnel, so they have private IPs (192.168.5.0, 192.168.6.0). It wasn't until I noticed that the ping times from the new guest LAN to the DC were < 3ms. There's no way that would be possible based on distance and lovely connection. Checked from the other LAN and found it was >12ms. Noticed that trying to ssh into the server resulted in a warning that the host key no longer matched.

Turns out this is a device on the ISPs network that we can access. I've only found 2 devices I can ping on blind guesses, but not only are they on the same subnet we use internally at the remote site, but the ISPs device we can ssh to has the exact same IP as our DC. Connected my laptop directly to the modem to confirm. Called the ISP and they have no idea what it is or how we have access to it, which isn't exactly helpful.

Looking back I can't believe I didn't notice earlier, it would have saved so much frustration.

Fake Edit: Apparently I forgot to submit this.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Lord Dudeguy posted:

PERC 5 Controller threw a config mismatch error.

Common solution is to load the config from disk (no disks changed).

Did so, server won't boot now. gently caress.

Just finished up on this today. Tried manually re-configuring the PERC controller in the original RAID config (read: loving closing my eyes and guessing). Didn't work.

Spent all day today rebuilding a SQL server for a restore. We use eVault. That meant:

Install the OS and patch.
Install SQL Server and patch. OOPS not THAT patch because maybe it'll work... or not.
Install SQL Server Backwards Compatibility pack because eVault didn't use VSS at the time we started our backups. No conversion possible - pick one method or the other. OOPS NOT THAT PACK, THE OTHER PACK.
Restore in Single-User mode BUT NOT FOR THAT DATABASE, JUST THIS ONE... oh and the one over there.

12 hours straight today, 4 of them with eVault support.

Boss: "Hey we can prove we can do a disaster-level bare metal restore!" :thumbsup:
Me: :stare:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

RangerAce posted:

I didn't know this, actually. As a manager who fights against the instinct to micromanage, I'm pretty sure I've had this done to me and now that I think about... yeah, pretty sure that works.

Pissing me off today: The endless stream of dipshits coming to ask me questions that I don't know the answer to, but end up solving with 30 seconds of googling. You couldn't loving google it yourself?

I've realized something now that i'm slowly being tossed into a pseudo management role.

I will want to micromanage people that I think don't know WTF they are doing.

There's two ways to figure that someone doesn't know WTF they are doing:
1) You know more about the subject than the person you are managing, and can easily tell.
2) You know less about the subject than the person you are managing, and can't tell, so you just wallow about and grasp at any detail you can get, much like a drowning person.

When dealing with instance #2, it's all about managing the firehose of information you send.

There's a great book out there, called Throwing The Elephant: Zen and the Art of Managing Up by Stanley Bing that goes into how to manage stuff like this. I highly recommend it.

Having said that, if you're a GOOD manager, you quickly learn when you need to manage something and when you don't. I certainly don't know what that point is, so if someone does, please tell me.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
We're just finishing the upgrade from XP to 7, our servers are a mix of 2003 and 2008 R2. Last week my coworker did up a new image for a new hire's computer and blanket-approved all of the Windows updates from Microsoft because he couldn't get it to talk to our WSUS. Today he calls me because he can't get the computer connected to the Internet as it's not taking the proxy settings from GPO. Some Googling and a healthy dose of stupefied disbelief later I have him downgrade from IE 10 to 9 and all is well because apparently IE 10 is a special snowflake that's too good for our plebeian Windows 7-managed GPOs. What the gently caress, Microsoft?

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Fenrisulfr posted:

We're just finishing the upgrade from XP to 7, our servers are a mix of 2003 and 2008 R2. Last week my coworker did up a new image for a new hire's computer and blanket-approved all of the Windows updates from Microsoft because he couldn't get it to talk to our WSUS. Today he calls me because he can't get the computer connected to the Internet as it's not taking the proxy settings from GPO. Some Googling and a healthy dose of stupefied disbelief later I have him downgrade from IE 10 to 9 and all is well because apparently IE 10 is a special snowflake that's too good for our plebeian Windows 7-managed GPOs. What the gently caress, Microsoft?

Sounds like you might need these:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=37009

and perhaps these:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=6243

frogbert fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 4, 2014

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
No you dumb motherfucking network fuckwit, it's NOT the storage at fault, it's ALWAYS not the storage at fault, and if you don't stop punting problems to me to prove YET AGAIN it's not the storage at fault instead of doing your job and troubleshooting the network I'm going to kick your dog.

What is it with arrogance in IT people that they feel they can just automatically ask another team of people to PROVE it's not them causing a problem, as opposed to that arrogant prick PROVING it is! FFS.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Muslim Wookie posted:

No you dumb motherfucking network fuckwit, it's NOT the storage at fault, it's ALWAYS not the storage at fault, and if you don't stop punting problems to me to prove YET AGAIN it's not the storage at fault instead of doing your job and troubleshooting the network I'm going to kick your dog.

What is it with arrogance in IT people that they feel they can just automatically ask another team of people to PROVE it's not them causing a problem, as opposed to that arrogant prick PROVING it is! FFS.

As someone in networking who has to constantly prove the network isn't at fault, it's pretty drat frustrating. I'm of the belief that a highly performing group gets blamed because they end up diagnosing the issue and doing the legwork in their efforts to prove it's not them.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

less than three posted:

As someone in networking who has to constantly prove the network isn't at fault, it's pretty drat frustrating. I'm of the belief that a highly performing group gets blamed because they end up diagnosing the issue and doing the legwork in their efforts to prove it's not them.

That's the thing, there's that hierarchy of blame, and storage is always blamed first, so much so that yes, storage does become a high performing group because they are forced to know all aspects of the stack back and front, and if it's not storage, network is blamed second! Getting apps guys or DBAs to take any ownership is just such bullshit that when I finally got tools that show the entire stack and the various bottlenecks and problems it was like I'd won the lottery.

We'd fought to get the budget for them because the other teams claimed they wouldn't help, so now when they send that typical email complaining about some bullshit "why is the storage slow again" I feel completely justified sending them single screengrabs of graphs showing the issue on their end without even bothering to put any text in there. YOU DON'T WANNA PUT THE EFFORT INTO TROUBLESHOOTING YOUR poo poo? THEN IM NOT GOING TO PUT ANY EFFORT INTO TALKING YOU THROUGH IT.

I'm an angry person today. I shouldn't post angry.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
If you're not making metrics out of that, you should be doing that, so you can make a business justification for other teams to fix their poo poo. "This month, 87 tickets were opened against storage, and only 3 were valid. On average, time spent resolving tickets where storage was not at fault took 15 minutes. We have spent 21 man hours diagnosing other teams issues, which is $Xxxx in unnecessary lost opportunity costs, to say nothing of morale issues. Simple troubleshooting on the part of application and networking teams would have directly translated into $Yyyy in savings, including $Zzzz for diagnostic software. This is currently wasted money as those teams need to make this effort anyway after we investigate and find that the issue is not on our end. As this is part of the job descriptions for those teams, I'm not sure why we're being asked to spend $Yyyy in effort, which we could be spending on penis-shaped cookies."

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Muslim Wookie posted:

Hahaha my co-worker-now-employee does this. I cannot wait for my promo papers to go through so I can stick his face up against it until he sees the error in his ways... or he quits.

Nothing worse than coming into a problem where none of the groups will help one another because this jackass set the tone with his "Prove to me before I have to do anything" attitude.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

less than three posted:

The corollary is usually something like, "Whatever technology I understand the least I will blame first."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

less than three posted:

As someone in networking who has to constantly prove the network isn't at fault

Sun should have used that for their slogan instead of "The network is the computer"

"The network isn't at fault :haw:"

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Volmarias posted:

"This month, 87 tickets were opened against storage, and only 3 were valid. On average, time spent resolving tickets where storage was not at fault took 15 minutes. We have spent 21 man hours diagnosing other teams issues, which is $Xxxx in unnecessary lost opportunity costs, to say nothing of morale issues."

"In looking at your team's timesheets, I do not see an additional 21 hours of work on top of your normal hours, so clearly this is incorrect. Also, I do not know what this 'morale' thing is or why it is having issues, but you need to stop working on it and manage your time better. Also, my Youtube is slow, please fix the SAN immediately.

Thanks,

Management"

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I've never worked in an environment where storage was blamed first. Network Eng here.

It's always "the network".

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

GOOCHY posted:

I've never worked in an environment where storage was blamed first. Network Eng here.

It's always "the network".

My last gig it was Exchange.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For us it was "the updates"

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
"Proactive maintenance"... hence my outfit no longer performing it at several clients. Which is a whole other can of heartworms

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Caged posted:

I think this is mostly for companies who develop software in house. A too large number of developers think their code is ruined by a 4 year old .NET patch or something.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone have any tips for getting off Microsoft's email blacklist?
code:
RCPT TO generated following response:
550 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [64.186.45.37] blocked using Blocklist 1;
 To request removal from this list please forward this message
 to [email]delist@messaging.microsoft.com[/email]
They sent us a message back saying they were unable to immediately mitigate the issue. We have good SPF records and a reverse lookup PTR for our mail server, we just switched ISP's so we have a new IP. Our old one was clean and we never had any issues...

Going on 24 hours and they're not responding to anything I send them. I followed pretty much everything on http://mail.live.com/mail/policies.aspx and joined JMRP and SNDS.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I've actually had a similar issue this week in office and it turned out that the reputation for the IP address was reported as bad. I've checked you on the same tool that we used in office and it gave you an unknown reputation for sending mail so... it's a mystery if that's your cause.

Check tools like: http://www.cyren.com/ip-reputation-check.html

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I've actually had a similar issue this week in office and it turned out that the reputation for the IP address was reported as bad. I've checked you on the same tool that we used in office and it gave you an unknown reputation for sending mail so... it's a mystery if that's your cause.

We're not on any other blacklists according to MXToolbox.com and almost all their checks come back good, we don't have DKIM setup, but everything else seems okay.

It's just frustrating because I get bugged about it and it's like like I can just call them up and have them take us off...

"Reason #230 not to host your own email"

We're moving to AppRiver in a few weeks.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Bob Morales posted:

We're not on any other blacklists according to MXToolbox.com and almost all their checks come back good, we don't have DKIM setup, but everything else seems okay.

It's just frustrating because I get bugged about it and it's like like I can just call them up and have them take us off...

"Reason #230 not to host your own email"

We're moving to AppRiver in a few weeks.

In our case, we didn't appear to be on MXToolbox, but still had the IP address reputation issue. And it took like days to get them to forgive us for the crime of hosting a clients email server at the clients site.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

There needs to be some kind of ICANN clearing house for assigning which model numbers companies are allowed to use for their products.

If I'm searching for information on hardware then I don't want fifty pages of results about laptop batteries, digital cameras, or ink cartridges for some lovely Epson that all have the same model number.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

This thing was helpful last time I had an email issue: http://www.mail-tester.com/

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
People who misplace the rails for a server.
Storages, which's rails aren't short enough to fit in a rack. (gently caress you Dell, all your other servers fit...)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

SEKCobra posted:

Storages, which's rails aren't short enough to fit in a rack. (gently caress you Dell, all your other servers fit...)
Assuming you're using an enclosed cabinet like an APC NetShelter AR3100, have you tried moving the rear rail posts inside of the cabinet? Most vendors make them movable using an allen key shipped with the enclosure.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone have any tips for getting off Microsoft's email blacklist?
code:
RCPT TO generated following response:
550 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [64.186.45.37] blocked using Blocklist 1;
 To request removal from this list please forward this message
 to [email]delist@messaging.microsoft.com[/email]
They sent us a message back saying they were unable to immediately mitigate the issue. We have good SPF records and a reverse lookup PTR for our mail server, we just switched ISP's so we have a new IP. Our old one was clean and we never had any issues...

Going on 24 hours and they're not responding to anything I send them. I followed pretty much everything on http://mail.live.com/mail/policies.aspx and joined JMRP and SNDS.

Microsoft are a complete PITA if you're on their blacklist.

A few days ago I was dealing with a company that was blacklisted with 4 big companies: Microsoft; AOL; BT; VirginMedia.

The first 3 all removed us off their blacklists no problem, as we could prove the new IP we were using was listed as bad due to a previous company; Microsoft would just flat out refuse to remove the block.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

A c E posted:

This is what I do too. You'd think people would pick up on the fact that they could just google it themselves. Nope, they still waste their time coming to find me so I can type a few words into Google search to find their answers. Computers run on magic.

My boyfriend will do this. He claims that I know how to Google better than he does. And I think it's true. I watched him search for stuff once. He does it...wrong. He's either way too specific or he uses the wrong words or something. Error in whatever game he's playing? He will swear he searched for an hour and can't find anything. I do one quick "battlefield crashes to desktop" (Because holy poo poo, that's what's happening. How can you not just type that?) and BAM a bazillion hits and a solution.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

topenga posted:

My boyfriend will do this. He claims that I know how to Google better than he does. And I think it's true. I watched him search for stuff once. He does it...wrong. He's either way too specific or he uses the wrong words or something. Error in whatever game he's playing? He will swear he searched for an hour and can't find anything. I do one quick "battlefield crashes to desktop" (Because holy poo poo, that's what's happening. How can you not just type that?) and BAM a bazillion hits and a solution.

What is he typing in? "Boopy gun gun blue screen kabloowie"?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

topenga posted:

Almost makes me want to put "Proficient in Googling" as part of my skill set. Hopefully the person reading it doesn't watch 30 Rock.

http://imgur.com/5NPh0 Link for big.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

ElGroucho posted:

What is he typing in? "Boopy gun gun blue screen kabloowie"?

It blows my mind. I think he tries too hard to explain in detail what's going on instead of just generalizing.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Caged posted:

"The website".

If google is down it's "The website". E-mail running slow? "The website". Computer won't turn on "The website".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Microsoft are a complete PITA if you're on their blacklist.

My name is Divakar and I work with the Outlook.com Deliverability Support Team.

We have reviewed your IP (64.xx.xx.xx) and determined that messages are being filtered (i.e. sent to the Junk folder) based on the recommendations of the SmartScreen® Filter.

Email filtering is based on many factors, but primarily it's due to mail content and recipient interaction with that mail. Because of the proprietary nature of SmartScreen® and because SmartScreen® Filter technology is always adapting and learning more about what is and isn't unwanted mail, it is not possible for us to offer specific advice about improving your mail content. However, in general SmartScreen® Filter evaluates specific words or characteristics from each e-mail message and weights them, based on their likelihood to indicate that a message is unwanted or legitimate mail.

Unfortunately, after reviewing the information you provided and in compliance with our mail policies, we are unable to offer immediate mitigation for your deliverability issue

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Dear database programmers, I know I am not oracle certified like you all are, or have a B.S. in CS, or probably the same experience as you but HOLY poo poo EVEN I CAN DUMP WEB FORM DATA INTO A DB WITHOUT IT TELLING ME INVALID CHARACTERS...

Seriously it is the year 2014.... Give me a loving break.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

topenga posted:

My friend is a bit like this. I was helping him fix his car at the weekend and we needed to look up something. There are usually pretty good guides out there for most things - especially on model-specific forums. He went into the house for 40 minutes and then came back out and said he didn't find anything. I went in, typed "BMW E91 turbo replacement" into Google and the first result is a forum post with full removal and reassembly instructions, and about 50 photos. I have no idea what he was searching for.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 30, 2014

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

It's true, just ask a relative who is not good with computers to search for something on the internet and watch what they do. The idea of keywords is beyond most people.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

I know some people type in full questions like "How do I wash small lemon curd stains out of my white and pink tablecloth?". Then they'll click on the first result and read the whole page to see if it has the answer, then move on to the second, and third, and then after about 4 or 5 pages get annoyed and give up complaining about how computers are too complicated.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Sweevo posted:

I know some people type in full questions like "How do I wash small lemon curd stains out of my white and pink tablecloth?". Then they'll click on the first result and read the whole page to see if it has the answer, then move on to the second, and third, and then after about 4 or 5 pages get annoyed and give up complaining about how computers are too complicated.

I just had to Google that because you posted it. And on the first page is a link to stainsolver.com that should work for you. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Google's gotten pretty good at this to be honest. I got better results out of "Why is my windows 2008 VM on ESX constantly dropping connections" than I did "ESX Windows 2008 VM connection drop". Apparently the word "Constantly" was required.