Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Does Prequel still update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

There's a message on the site from February 5th that...

Kaz posted:

2/5/14: a lightning strike caused a tree to fall and take out both my electricity and internet. Fate may be conspiring against me to keep my webcomic from updating. I have assembled a group of spunky teenagers to join me on a quest to kill fate itself, but this may delay the update a few more days.

Presumably that means he's still meaning to update in the near future.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Update!

I hate these things :argh:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kazy posted:

Update!

I hate these things :argh:

There are actually a whole lot of pretty funny responses for every new attempt. Wanting to see them is definitely the only reason why I failed that puzzle. Repeatedly. :haw:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I have never successfully solved one of these stupid things without hints in my life.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

The game eventually takes pity on you and refuses to let you make game-ending moves. :saddowns:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Update was cool. Can't wait for when it updates again in September.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
That was very cool. Does something special happen if you solve it on the first try?

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Man this thing is chock-full of dialog, depending on when you succeed, if you improve or not, how many attempts it takes you. Best one might be on second try, though.

Also I am terrible at these, holy poo poo.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
That... was actually really uplifting and enheartening. I'm actually kind of inspired. This guardian spirit is hilarious too.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

First try!

...and now I need to reload and do noticeably worse so I can see the difference.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Clicking the link just takes me to some error page:

quote:

��<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> <head> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" /> <title>[S]Aggy: Extrapolate</title> </head> <body bgcolor="#000000"> <center> <p style="font-weight: bold; font-family: courier, monospace; color:#FFFFF0"><font size="6">[S]Aggy: Extrapolate<br></font></p> <!--url's used in the movie--> <!--text used in the movie--> <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,0,0" width="880" height="550" id="AggyExtrapolate" align="middle"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.prequeladventure.com/this/AggyExtrapolate" /> <param name="quality" value="high" /> <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /> <embed src="http://www.prequeladventure.com/this/AggyExtrapolate.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" width="880" height="550" name="http://www.prequeladventure.com/this/AggyExtrapolate.swf" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /> </object> </center> </body> </html>

Unless this is actually the puzzle. I'm using Firefox.

e: Just putting in http://www.prequeladventure.com/this/AggyExtrapolate.swf into my address bar gets me where I need to go. But still.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
That was surprisingly inspirational. :unsmith:

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
I was on a road trip with my parents and we stopped at some diner in the middle of nowhere. One of these was on a table, and some old guy decided that he was gonna teach me how to do it and made me memorize the correct solution. I forgot it in like 10 minutes.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Perestroika posted:

There are actually a whole lot of pretty funny responses for every new attempt. Wanting to see them is definitely the only reason why I failed that puzzle. Repeatedly. :haw:

Uh, yeah... same here.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm just going to take this update as proof positive that Kazerad hates his fans.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bloody hell, I based my master's thesis on peg solitaire and this still took my like eight tries.

Still, it set a great mood the whole way through, I love it.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Yay, emotional progress! :3: Now to see what new crushing spiral of doom will put the one step back in the two steps forward. :allears:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I hate peg solitaire, but this is the only time where I wasn't exactly frustrated when I lost it. Repeatedly.

Congrats, Kaz, for coming back with a bang. :v:

I'm curious to what happens when you solve the puzzle with your mouth

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 4, 2014

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
After failing a certain number of times, the game will tell you what to do when you're hovering over a viable move.

Not that I needed it, obviously. Just to be clear.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
First, second, third, mouth, and what I presume is the last (when Katia says the same thing every time you fail) all have their own dialogue, do any others?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
All the dialogue can be read here.

ctrl-f to "Win on first play" to see the game result dialogues.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 4, 2014

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

Pakled posted:

All the dialogue can be read here.

ctrl-f to "Win on first play" to see the game result dialogues.

Holy poo poo, some of this dialogue... I need to write down the solution and copy it across so I can see some of these... I knew that you got some dialogue different depending on whether you do better or worse second try than first, but I didn't think there'd be different dialogue for every possible attempt.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

quote:

Kat: Look, I know you are ghost-insane. You have my pity. But when are you going to realize this is stupid and accept that I'm worthless, and not any kind of genius or prodigy?
Aggie: Honestly? As soon as you give up.
Aggie:That will be the point where your actions led to failure rather than success.
Kat:
Aggie:But you're still here. You could have walked away at any point, but you're still doing a dumb puzzle for a mad ghost, trying to prove you can't do it, even though with each try you are only more likely to prove yourself wrong.

This was my very favourite part of the update. Second place went to "Disagreeing with a Dark Elf, colloquially known as being wrong."

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tollymain posted:

Update was cool. Can't wait for when it updates again in September.

I just view it as an infrequent treat :v:

Really, this was an excellent update and well done, and I can't wait to see more. Hopefully kaz will update more frequently.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Maple Leaf posted:

Clicking the link just takes me to some error page:

It's not an error page, it's just... the source. Someone on 4chan and in the site comments pointed this out too; I know I've seen this before, but I can't remember the cause. I remember it was something really obvious, but sadly that is all I remember. I think it was someone here who solved it last time, so I'll search this thread.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm just going to take this update as proof positive that Kazerad hates his fans.

That is exactly what it is. You are all just rats in my maze.

But no, seriously, it was kind of an interesting thing to design. One of the major takehomes of the scene is supposed to be that Katia is fairly intelligent; it's been kind of casually implied in the past that she is pretty good at math, reads very fast, and is fluent in several languages (her ancestors' language not among them). Originally this sequence was going to be just a conversation, but I wanted to see if I could make something interactive in a way that still painted Katia's intelligence as above average.

Intelligence is kind of a difficult stat to convey in games in general, though, since it depends on what the player themselves does. What I ended up going with was a "memory" whenever you are about to place a piece, showing your previous moves up to the point that you reached an unwinnable state. It starts out nearly invisible, but the more times you play the clearer the replays get. Once you hit the sixth time, the replays extend to show all the way to the end even if you hadn't made it that far; as long as you slow down when you're about to place a piece, you can make it through. On the 12th time, it just stops letting you lose. This was added out of pity when a beta tester spent an hour and a half failing to win.

The general idea was to sort of "give" you a good memory, the ability to determine the point where you messed up, and encouraging the player to stop and "think" before they put a piece down. I guess you guys can be the judge of whether or not that succeeded; the responses so far have been delightfully mixed.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Kazerad posted:

Intelligence is kind of a difficult stat to convey in games in general, though, since it depends on what the player themselves does. What I ended up going with was a "memory" whenever you are about to place a piece, showing your previous moves up to the point that you reached an unwinnable state. It starts out nearly invisible, but the more times you play the clearer the replays get.

The general idea was to sort of "give" you a good memory, the ability to determine the point where you messed up, and encouraging the player to stop and "think" before they put a piece down. I guess you guys can be the judge of whether or not that succeeded; the responses so far have been delightfully mixed.

This is incredibly clever, and I definitely think it's successful in the way it lets us get inside Katia's head in a cognitive way, rather than an emotional way (which we've been feeling through the narration).

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It also made me feel super bad when I ran out of tries. :saddowns:

In my defense, I was playing it on my phone.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volmarias posted:

I just view it as an infrequent treat :v:

Really, this was an excellent update and well done, and I can't wait to see more. Hopefully kaz will update more frequently.

Oh I'm not complaining, it was just a dry joke.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Kazerad posted:

It's not an error page, it's just... the source. Someone on 4chan and in the site comments pointed this out too; I know I've seen this before, but I can't remember the cause. I remember it was something really obvious, but sadly that is all I remember. I think it was someone here who solved it last time, so I'll search this thread.

If I'm not mistaken, I think it has to do with those two blocks at the beginning; some text editors put some sort of weird unprintable characters at the top of documents that result in browsers not recognizing that it's a webpage instead of a binary file, so they default to what they do for all binary files and dump the literal result into the browser.

e: yeah it's this poo poo right here.
code:

[1151|-|I] ursine@box : ~ % curl -l http://www.prequeladventure.com/this/AggyExtrapolate.html
þÿ<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
<head>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 5, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I thought the memory effect was just a graphical glitch until it stopped letting me lose. My pathetic excuse is: reading the conversations between each attempt made me forget that I had already made the exact same losing plays on a previous attempt.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ursine Asylum posted:

If I'm not mistaken, I think it has to do with those two blocks at the beginning; some text editors put some sort of weird unprintable characters at the top of documents that result in browsers not recognizing that it's a webpage instead of a binary file, so they default to what they do for all binary files and dump the literal result into the browser.

e: yeah it's this poo poo right here.
code:
[1151|-|I] ursine@box : ~ % curl -l [url]http://www.prequeladventure.com/this/AggyExtrapolate.html[/url]
þÿ<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
<head>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark

Like you posted, it's not weird unprintable characters, they're BOMs to let whoever is reading the document know what order the unicode goes in. Sadly, HTML isn't really one of the places that they belong.

You can open the file in a programmer's text editor and re-save the file in a different format (ascii should be fine)

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
All it took was one update to remind me why I keep reading this comic.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Volmarias posted:

Like you posted, it's not weird unprintable characters, they're BOMs to let whoever is reading the document know what order the unicode goes in. Sadly, HTML isn't really one of the places that they belong.

You can open the file in a programmer's text editor and re-save the file in a different format (ascii should be fine)
Aha, thanks, finally got it. Notepad and Notepad++ couldn't seem to get rid of it, but copying the source from the misdisplayed page and pasting that into a file did it fine.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Stop making me feel good about a character who you're going to be super mean to AGAIN you huge butt :argh:

Seriously though this is my favourite Prequel update ever, probably because it's nice for Katia to run into someone who is entirely certain that she isn't actually worthless in spite of her being her usual cheery self. The music was really nice, too :3:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kazerad posted:

On the 12th time, it just stops letting you lose. This was added out of pity when a beta tester spent an hour and a half failing to win.

Thanks for your pity-coding. Not that, um, I needed it. Yeah. :eng99:

Were the static protagonist links I sent to you of any use?

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Kazerad, beautiful update as always.

Reading the alternative dialogue isn't enough for me. I played through them to see if there are any unique animations. When Katia is told to dress like a witch hunter, she wears a pale blue cloak and flaps her ears.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 5, 2014

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Kazerad posted:

Aha, thanks, finally got it. Notepad and Notepad++ couldn't seem to get rid of it, but copying the source from the misdisplayed page and pasting that into a file did it fine.
What you're looking for in Notepad++ is under the 'encoding' option on the menu.
"UTF-8 without BOM", rather than "UTF-8" selected on it. Or ANSI.

I'm not entirely sure what the difference between selecting 'encode' versus 'convert'. This page seems to explain it better than I could.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Kazerad posted:

That is exactly what it is. You are all just rats in my maze.

But no, seriously, it was kind of an interesting thing to design. One of the major takehomes of the scene is supposed to be that Katia is fairly intelligent; it's been kind of casually implied in the past that she is pretty good at math, reads very fast, and is fluent in several languages (her ancestors' language not among them). Originally this sequence was going to be just a conversation, but I wanted to see if I could make something interactive in a way that still painted Katia's intelligence as above average.

Intelligence is kind of a difficult stat to convey in games in general, though, since it depends on what the player themselves does. What I ended up going with was a "memory" whenever you are about to place a piece, showing your previous moves up to the point that you reached an unwinnable state. It starts out nearly invisible, but the more times you play the clearer the replays get. Once you hit the sixth time, the replays extend to show all the way to the end even if you hadn't made it that far; as long as you slow down when you're about to place a piece, you can make it through. On the 12th time, it just stops letting you lose. This was added out of pity when a beta tester spent an hour and a half failing to win.

Ohhhh THAT'S what the flashing was? Motherfucker, I thought the thing was just glitching and totally ignored all those. I also spent something like 20 minutes trying to play ideas out with paper and pencil and still didn't get it before the game finally took pity on me. And this is why my solution to any puzzle in D&D is "throw poo poo at the Dungeonmaster" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Reading the alternative dialogue isn't enough for me. I played through them to see if there are any unique animations. When Katia is told to dress like a witch hunter, she wears a pale blue cloak and flaps her ears.

I'm pretty sure that cloak was magicked up by Aggy and forced on Katia somehow. Probably by way of ghost magic.

• Locked thread