Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I just won my first newbie draft on mtgo. I'm assuming the smart thing to do is sell my winnings to a bot to fund future drafts as opposed to cracking the pack(s), right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Because the price of singles, the amount of work it takes R&D to make products, the interests of collectors, and the availability of eternal staples are all secondary concerns to the most important question "Is this product going to sell better than our current offerings?"

And when the suggestion is a card for card reprint of an old set with white borders in a draft only format that could only be sold in hobby stores, whose sole reason for existing would be to placate a small minority of customers the answer would be a resounding "No"

End of Life Guy posted:

I just won my first newbie draft on mtgo. I'm assuming the smart thing to do is sell my winnings to a bot to fund future drafts as opposed to cracking the pack(s), right?

Yes, but depending on product, sometimes it helps to wait for certain times. For example if you are getting a lot of BNG winnings, waiting until the release of the last set will let you sell those packs for higher prices.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 4, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

End of Life Guy posted:

Yeah.

I'd recommend checking between the HOGWARTS line of bots and GOATBOTS for booster prices.

If you're selling individual cards, always always check Hotlistbot first off.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

End of Life Guy posted:

The right* thing to do is keep all your packs sealed and use them directly to enter more events with the 'packs+tix' option. The people who don't frequently inject money into MTGO will stockpile prize packs during prerelease/release events and use those to enter drafts. If you're drafting for real after you do all your newbie drafts, always draft either Swiss if you're not good or 8-4 if you are. Never play 4-3-2-2 drafts (unless there is no alternative for that type of draft), they are always worse than Swiss or 8-4 depending on your skill.

*Though if you feel like it, go ahead and crack them. Just know you're losing value in the long term doing so.

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 4, 2014

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Promoted Pawn posted:

The right* thing to do is keep all your packs sealed and use them directly to enter more events with the 'packs+tix' option. The people who don't frequently inject money into MTGO will stockpile prize packs during prerelease/release events and use those to enter drafts.

*Though if you feel like it, go ahead and crack them. Just know you're losing value in the long term doing so.

Keeping packs sounds smart, but I'm burnt out on M14. If this bought me 1/4th of a Theros draft, I'd take it.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

End of Life Guy posted:

Keeping packs sounds smart, but I'm burnt out on M14. If this bought me 1/4th of a Theros draft, I'd take it.

M14 packs look like they cost more (Supernovabot prices) currently than either Theros or BNG, so sell away.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

End of Life Guy posted:

You're probably fine selling M14 since it's a few sets old at this point. Selling packs of the most recent set/block is almost always bad value though since everybody is selling their prize packs and keeping the price down.

Edit: I also just wanted to post this again since it's much more important than it looks and I edited it in after you quoted the post it appeared in:

quote:

If you're drafting for real after you do all your newbie drafts, always draft either Swiss if you're not good or 8-4 if you are. Never play 4-3-2-2 drafts (unless there is no alternative for that type of draft), they are always worse than Swiss or 8-4 depending on your skill.

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 4, 2014

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Am I crazy or is part one of MaRo's Torment podcasts missing? At the very least, it doesn't seem to be showing up in my iOS subscription.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
Standard Tourney recap:

Standard night is Monday night near me at Altered Reality, so lets recap the night with Murdergoats

Match 1 was against a BGU Plansewalkers Deck:
Game 1-He has a TON of land and I get Purphoros out turn 4 and Horse out turn 5. He continues to draw nothing but land as I just token him to death.
Game 2-This game was the IDEAL Murdergoats scenario. Turn 1 Duress to remove his Jace. Turn 2 Young Pyromancer. Turn 3 Young Pyromancer. Turn 4 Purphoros. Turn 5 Molten Birth AND Dreadbore his Ashiok with Molten Birth back in hand. For those counting that was 12 damage from Purphoros on tokens. Turn 6 it was over.
Overall-I saw his strategy, but surprisingly it moved too slow for Murdergoats...which is kind of funny. He was running a lot of Gorgons and Planeswalkers with ramp, but he ended up mana flooded game 1 and mana starved game 2.

Match 2 was against a UW control Deck:
Game 1-I Duress out the gate and get rid of Detention Sphere. It was a close game but I didn't get a 4th land until turn 6 so no Purphoros until then. I was keeping things clear until this point, but as soon as I played Purphoros he got out Thassa and the following turn he dropped Ephara. With his Judge's Familiars I just had nothing to stop his flying unblockable army. I lost but he had 10 health so at least I did some damage
Game 2-I Duress out the gate again and this time I get rid of his Bident. I had the mana and get out Purphoros this time on turn 4, but I didn't have enough removal to keep him at bay this time. I managed to get off Anger of the Gods wiping the board, but leaving his Thassa and Ephara on the board. Next turn he played Nightveil making Thassa a creature and swang for lethal. He won with 1 health left...I was 1 removal spell away from winning with a Young Pyromancer on the board.

Match 3 was against a W weeny Deck:
Game 1-Everything he throws out I remove. I get out Young Pyromancer and Horse by turn 4. He still can't get anything to stay on the board, so I am swinging with tokens. By turn 9 I had eight tokens out and Young Peezy so I was swinging to win.
Game 2-I sideboard in Pithing Needles (he is a buddy of mine so I know what he has in the deck). Turn 1 I manage to get a Pithing Needle and drop it naming Ajani. I see zero removal spells as he pumps up a Fabled Hero and just flys overhead with Pegasus. Couldn't even stop him as he won by turn 4.
Game 3-Same start as game 2. I drop Pithing Needle on Ajani. Young Pyromancer on turn 2. Young Pyromancer on Turn 3. Turn 4 he taps out so I use 2 Dreadbore to remove his Fabled Hero and Phalanx Leader. Turn 5 he drops 2 Favored Hoplites and leaves mana untapped. I drop Purphoros and pass back to him. He drops Elspeth on turn 6 tapping out again. I have the mana so I use Overloaded Mizzium Mortar wiping his side and then swing with what I have to kills Espeth. At this point it went downhill for him. I got Horse out the next turn and Ultimate Price his Akroan Skyguard. I can swing and ping him to death with Purphoros and tokens.

Match 3 was against a mono U Deck:
Game 1-I have no land. I start with a Temple of Malice and a Blood Crypt in opening hand but don't see a third land until turn 6. I remove what I can but by the time I get a third land he has Thassa and Master of Waves out. I spent all my removal getting rid of Nightveils that I can't stop the incoming attacks.
Game 2-I have too much land. Opening hand was 5 lands, Purphoros, and Horse. I mulligan. Next hand was 4 lands, Ultimate Price, and Young Pyromancer. I figure that will get me at least 3 turns in. I draw more land the next 3 turns, so by turn 4 I have 7 lands to work with and a Young Peezy on the board. He played Nightveil and gets 1 attack off before I draw Hero's Downfall...he exiles my Purphoros. I stall just long enough for him to get an army and over run the tokens I've been making with Molten Birth.

So basically I went 2-2, and Murdergoats was the poo poo when it was on and just a pile of poo poo when it was off. I either have gold to work with or dirt...never just a nice balance for a good game. Oh wellt, I guess I will see how it goes next week when I trade out Duress for my Thoughtseize.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Promoted Pawn posted:

You're probably fine selling M14 since it's a few sets old at this point. Selling packs of the most recent set/block is almost always bad value though since everybody is selling their prize packs and keeping the price down.

Edit: I also just wanted to post this again since it's much more important than it looks and I edited it in after you quoted the post it appeared in:

As someone who normally just plays constructed, I generally sell off my prize packs right away. In the short term, pack prices usually don't rise and fall that much, and it's generally not worth speculating on unless you really care about possibly getting 10 cents more per pack, and are willing to wait weeks for that to happen. If you don't want to draft with the packs just sell them off and don't worry about it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ran Fated Retribution as a one-of in UW at Game Day and while Verdict is as usual the actual MVP for allowing you to stay alive, Retribution had the craziest blowouts. Had a monoblack player on the ropes and he's just accumulating cards but playing nothing, tries for a Hail Mary by committing a lot to the board after I spend some Dissolves and haven't yet Elixired them back in. Drops Gary to top it off and hopefully get the kill or something close. I just allow it to enter, put its ability on the stack, and Retribution everything away. Gary drains me for 0.

Also blows up planeswalkers (which people forget). I never got to use it for the purpose I put it in -- to eat Mutavaults.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I know someone was asking about MTG podcasts previously this thread ... lo and behold, there's an article on the mothership discussing them!

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/sf/289

My podcast (BJ's Geek Nation) is featured, but there are a lot of other, great, podcasts on the list.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

En Fuego posted:

I know someone was asking about MTG podcasts previously this thread ... lo and behold, there's an article on the mothership discussing them!

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/sf/289

My podcast (BJ's Geek Nation) is featured, but there are a lot of other, great, podcasts on the list.

That would be me! Thanks, this is awesome.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
How exactly does champion of stray souls second ability work? Am I missing something?

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

If it's dead, you just put it face down on top of your deck and you draw it as your next card. It's not card advantage, but it makes sure you draw a creature.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
How do you...do that, if it's dead? Am I missing something?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

You can activate abilities from the graveyard if it specifically says so on the card.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Like Tyramet's black ability, it lets you activate it while he's in the grave.

E;FB!

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Question about Cabal Therapy: Do you name the card as you cast CT or when it resolves? Based on the wording it looks like you name it as you cast CT, but I want to be sure.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

ScarletBrother posted:

Question about Cabal Therapy: Do you name the card as you cast CT or when it resolves? Based on the wording it looks like you name it as you cast CT, but I want to be sure.

When it resolves. It doesn't target or anything of the sort, so everything happens after it begins resolving.

EDIT: It says so in the rulings as well, specifically:

Gatherer Ruling posted:

You name the card during resolution, then your opponent reveals their hand and discards if appropriate. There is no way for your opponent to do anything between you naming the card and them discarding.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

The only things you do when you cast a spell is:

Choose modes
Pick targets
Divide damage
Pay costs

Everything else is done on resolution.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

ScarletBrother posted:

There's also an interesting interaction where you can cast Therapy, and name a card. This is you shorthanding declaring a shortcut where your opponent passes priority and, then you name a card. However, if your opponent decided to respond, the shortcut is interrupted, and any choices you made are no longer binding. Example I remember from somewhere. You have seen your opponent's hand, it has Force of Will , blue card, Lightning Bolt. You cast therapy, and declare you're naming lightning bolt. If your opponent doesn't respond, the spell resolves and they discard the bolt. But if they respond, say by bolting your face, you can instead name Force of Will because the shortcut was interrupted, and you may now change your choice.

From the MTR section 4.2:

* If a player casts a spell or activates an ability and announces choices for it that are not normally made until resolution, the player must adhere to those choices unless an opponent responds to that spell or ability. If an opponent inquires about choices made during resolution, that player is assumed to be passing priority and allowing that spell or ability to resolve.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Two questions about Xenagos Planeswalker's -6, which came up last night: are the cards exiled face up, and do all the lands/creatures he chooses to put into play come in simultaneously, or one at a time?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

qbert posted:

Two questions about Xenagos Planeswalker's -6, which came up last night: are the cards exiled face up, and do all the lands/creatures he chooses to put into play come in simultaneously, or one at a time?

They are exiled face up, by default, and they come into play simultaneously. Note that you can order triggered abilities as you like, and that your opponent's own triggers will resolve before yours do.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

It depends on what you mean by "simultaneously"

What card or cards are you trying to figure out their interaction with Xenagos?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Serperoth posted:

They are exiled face up, by default, and they come into play simultaneously. Note that you can order triggered abilities as you like, and that your opponent's own triggers will resolve before yours do.

Okay, so if my opponent is putting in both Shock lands and Scry lands from this effect, he must choose whether or not the Shock lands come into play untapped before he's allowed to Scry, correct?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Dr. Stab posted:

It depends on what you mean by "simultaneously"

What card or cards are you trying to figure out their interaction with Xenagos?

Shock lands and Scry lands among the cards, also if there's a Courser of Kruphix out, can I kill the Courser in response to the first trigger going on the stack.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

qbert posted:

Okay, so if my opponent is putting in both Shock lands and Scry lands from this effect, he must choose whether or not the Shock lands come into play untapped before he's allowed to Scry, correct?

Yes. He must choose whether to have them untapped or not as they come into play. Nothing happens until that choice is made.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

There's also an interesting interaction where you can cast Therapy, and name a card.

This isn't an interesting card interaction as much as it is abusing a rule. That rule regarding shortcuts is designed to allow players to feel comfortable using common shortcuts without risking being penalized for it.

Your example while technically correct is literally the exact opposite of the reason that rule was written.

EDIT: There are a bunch of situations where you could trick an opponent and technically be abiding by the rules. We shouldn't be exploring them. I can't believe "abusing the rules sets a pretty lovely precedent, even if technically correct" is something that needs to be explicitly stated but here we are.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 4, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Stinky Pit posted:

This isn't an interesting card interaction as much as it is abusing a rule. That rule regarding shortcuts is designed to allow players to feel comfortable using common shortcuts without risking being penalized for it.

It isn't abusing the rules, it's precisely the sort of thing it's made for. It's basically "Cabal Coffers, if you don't do anything, I name this.". Of course a response would affect what was being named. As it is, it promotes trust, or at least clarity, since the players do have to abide by their choice if there is no response.

EDIT: You can just ask "so it resolves?" or something to that effect, or at least mention that you name the card after it begins resolving. No need to involve a judge if you can just communicate with your opponent.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 4, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
But if I go "Therapy you," they say "naming?" and I assume that's them passing priority, who gets penalized if they didn't know they were passing priority? I feel like a judge would side with me, but my opponent would probably get real mad at me pulling a "rules lawyer" trick.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Some Numbers posted:

But if I go "Therapy you," they say "naming?" and I assume that's them passing priority, who gets penalized if they didn't know they were passing priority? I feel like a judge would side with me, but my opponent would probably get real mad at me pulling a "rules lawyer" trick.
I wouldn't say anyone would get "penalized", per se, but the spell would resolve without them having a chance to respond. It is up to your opponent to know that for cards like Cabal Therapy, the choice is made upon resolution of the spell not when it is put on the stack. This isn't a "rules lawyer" trick, it's knowing how the game works. If you want to be super clear, and give your opponent one final chance to respond, after he says "naming?" you can say "does it resolve?", but I would never do this at an event where I was playing for something more than bragging rights.

revengeanceful fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 4, 2014

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

At Competitive REL, them asking you to name choices made upon resolution is acknowledging that the spell resolves. At Regular REL you're probably not playing with Cabal Therapy.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Saeku posted:

At Competitive REL, them asking you to name choices made upon resolution is acknowledging that the spell resolves. At Regular REL you're probably not playing with Cabal Therapy.

Fine, Slaughter Games. Exact same circumstances and a card you might see at FNM.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Serperoth posted:

It isn't abusing the rules, it's precisely the sort of thing it's made for. It's basically "Cabal Coffers, if you don't do anything, I name this.". Of course a response would affect what was being named. As it is, it promotes trust, or at least clarity, since the players do have to abide by their choice if there is no response.

When you intentionally set out to use a shortcut and the rules surrounding them to gain an advantage you are abusing the rules and are an rear end in a top hat. Using the shortcut, because you want to use the shortcut, and then changing your choice if an opponent responds is perfectly acceptable. Using the shortcut every time in hopes that you can use the rules to trick an unwary opponent now and then, is not.

If for example you have a Grizzly Bear and I control a Qasali Pridemage, and I declare attacks and ask, "Trade?" and you block, then I say "OK Qasali doesn't die because of exalted" all of that is perfectly allowed by the rules.

"Trade" is not a defined shortcut and I only need to show recognition of my exalted trigger when it would matter, so recognizing it during combat damage is perfectly acceptable.

I would still be a huge rear end in a top hat if I did all of that intentionally.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 4, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Craig Wescoe has a pretty good sense of humor. He's been streaming again for the past few days and people in chat keep asking what the squeaks and chirps are in the background(his gf/wife owns quite a few birds) and he replies "Oh it's just a playset of Squadron Hawks that I haven't took out of the deck yet." :lol:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hey, let's take it a step further while we're at it. A lot of times the opponent quickly reveals their hand after responding and before you get a chance to rename - it's just a habit and one of those tricky timing situations that's better solved by MTGO. You see their new hand and opponents can show their hand at any time if they so wish. You argue that you still get to choose a different card. Judge comes over, and assuming he sides with you, you see they now have a FoW, blue useless spell, and a Jace they drew since the last time you've seen their hand. You call out the Jace.

If you're gonna tiptoe the rules this way, might as well go all out.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Saeku posted:

Yeah, I have never played with Cabal Therapy and I'm borrowing Dredge to play in a Legacy event coming up at the LGS, so I am trying to do my homework so I don't muck it up.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

The only way to be sure your Cabal Therapies don't randomly get hosed by judge interaction is to explicitly ask if they resolve before naming a card. It can be argued that blah blah implicit priority passing blah blah, but at the end of the day you are at the mercy of the judges and their rulings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

LordSaturn posted:

The only way to be sure your Cabal Therapies don't randomly get hosed by judge interaction is to explicitly ask if they resolve before naming a card. It can be argued that blah blah implicit priority passing blah blah, but at the end of the day you are at the mercy of the judges and their rulings.

I guess I can always have that conversation with the HJ before round 1 starts.

• Locked thread