Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!
After platinuming the game I have to say, that ended up being much more fun than I expected. Combat was really nice and I liked the music, and even though the textures were kind of janky, Yusnaan looked really good with all the deep shadows during a certain time of day. Jagd Woods had its moments too.

I think that a part of the magic for me was that it felt that the developers weren't taking the game seriously, and weren't expecting you to either. How could you, with a big pumpkin on your head? The game felt like a surreal masterpiece that is going places just because why not. At least I hope that's what they were going for, because the alternative would mean it's just bad anime.

I feel they missed a huge opportunity though by not having interactive adornments. I mean, press a button during a cutscene and a thing happens. Why else would you wear the emergency beacon, if not for having it light up and blare at inopportune moments? WHY, I ASK YOU!

edit: Knowing how everything worked and where everything was, I tried to finish everything as early as possible on my second playthrough - you can complete Dead Dunes and ~15 sidequests on day 1, and before day 2 is over, it's possible to clear the whole main quest and a total of ~45 sidequests. Don't waste all your gil so you can sleep for 10 days :v:

Moskau fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Just beat the game. It was pretty good. The story went right where I expected it to and I guess it was the only place it really could've gone. They wasted almost all of the potential of the XIII story and stabbed it through the heart at the end of LR. I expected the Fabula Nova Crystalis mythology to be flavor sprinkled on top of the story, instead it basically became the story. How could this mythology ever be expected to be share among games at this point, after you straight up kill the strongest god in the mythology Bhunivelze after he shows himself to be a giant dickwad? Hopefully this signals the end of FNC and they don't even attempt to try to bring it back in XV.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mischitary posted:

Just beat the game. It was pretty good. The story went right where I expected it to and I guess it was the only place it really could've gone. They wasted almost all of the potential of the XIII story and stabbed it through the heart at the end of LR. I expected the Fabula Nova Crystalis mythology to be flavor sprinkled on top of the story, instead it basically became the story. How could this mythology ever be expected to be share among games at this point, after you straight up kill the strongest god in the mythology Bhunivelze after he shows himself to be a giant dickwad? Hopefully this signals the end of FNC and they don't even attempt to try to bring it back in XV.

The mythology has already shown up in at least one other game and Etro is referenced in stuff they've put out about FFXV. They're going to handle it exactly like they handle Moogles, Cid, Bahamut and Chocobos. They'll show up in another similar-but-different form.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The mythology has already shown up in at least one other game and Etro is referenced in stuff they've put out about FFXV. They're going to handle it exactly like they handle Moogles, Cid, Bahamut and Chocobos. They'll show up in another similar-but-different form.

Yeah, I remember the Etro stuff from a long time ago. I don't think it's the same as those other things, though. Bhunivelze, Etro, Lindzei, Pulse, they have no unique aspects that make it interesting to have them appear across multiple games. At least I don't think they do. A Moogle is a Moogle, they're cute little furry guys, Chocobos are the default Final Fantasy mount, any time somebody would be riding a horse in a FF game they ride Chocobos.

If it were my call, I'd say just make them gods like there are gods in our world. People pray to them, but you don't see them or interact with them and they don't go around doing poo poo. Hopefully thats the route they're taking.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mischitary posted:

If it were my call, I'd say just make them gods like there are gods in our world. People pray to them, but you don't see them or interact with them and they don't go around doing poo poo. Hopefully thats the route they're taking.

Well, both of the leads in FFXV supposedly got their powers from Etro so odds are pretty good that she's going to be responsible for another load of fuckups. Type-0 also makes a bunch of references to the gods but in a different form which is what I expect from XV too.

I suspect what they're going to do is basically slot them into the position of Default FF Gods, like how Chocobos are Default FF Horses and Bahamut is Default FF Big-rear end King Dragon and Cid is Default FF Tech Guy and all those other constant circular references. That or they'll give it up after FFXV is a bomb and everyone hates it. One of those.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I kind of like the idea that Etro's a running gag in the FF games from now on. Whenever the world goes to poo poo, the protagonist can look at the camera and :shrug: "Oh, Etrooo!" and then there's some sitcom-y 'wah-wah' music.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I kind of like the idea that Etro's a running gag in the FF games from now on. Whenever the world goes to poo poo, the protagonist can look at the camera and :shrug: "Oh, Etrooo!" and then there's some sitcom-y 'wah-wah' music.

Turns out the statues in FF6? All Etro.
Jenova? Etro summoned her by accident.
The entire Sorceress cycle was because Etro took pity on a human. The Great Hyne is just a corruption of her name.
Don't even get me started on FFX.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Gaz-L posted:

You know, that'd be a relatively original idea! I can't think of many other fantasy series or tropes of a completely incompetent bumbling god controlling everything. Gods are usually depicted as competently omnipotent, passively non-invasive, or as assholes. Nobody really depicts god as a well-intentioned gently caress-up.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The entire Sorceress cycle was because Etro took pity on a human. The Great Hyne is just a corruption of her name.

Who greenlit Final Fantasy 2? Etro :argh:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Jecht tried to pick up Etro on a bet. It didn't end well.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I finally got cracking on the final day, and I have to say I'm really surprised at the jump in difficulty in the normal encounters. Before I was feeling all full of myself because I was genociding even the meanest monsters without breaking a sweat, but now I can't even stagger these monsters. I think I've become over-reliant on Jump for that, so I guess I'll have to rethink things and go back to other conventional stagger methods.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Aurain posted:

Who greenlit Final Fantasy 2? Etro :argh:

Balance changes in FF3 DS? Etro :argh:

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I finally got cracking on the final day, and I have to say I'm really surprised at the jump in difficulty in the normal encounters. Before I was feeling all full of myself because I was genociding even the meanest monsters without breaking a sweat, but now I can't even stagger these monsters. I think I've become over-reliant on Jump for that, so I guess I'll have to rethink things and go back to other conventional stagger methods.

Keep in mind, the final day also has the final difficulty increase, which, if you got the optional day as well, is a pretty big increase in difficulty. That being said, those archangel guys made me say gently caress it and just make myself immune to magic.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Systematic System posted:

Keep in mind, the final day also has the final difficulty increase, which, if you got the optional day as well, is a pretty big increase in difficulty. That being said, those archangel guys made me say gently caress it and just make myself immune to magic.

My favorite part of the final day was getting 3X Anubis spawns every five seconds right on top of the damned shopkeepers outside. :argh:

Actually no, my favorite part was the Doom counter that goes away after you blast the first (and easiest) form of robogod. What was the point of that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UselessLurker posted:

My favorite part of the final day was getting 3X Anubis spawns every five seconds right on top of the damned shopkeepers outside. :argh:

Actually no, my favorite part was the Doom counter that goes away after you blast the first (and easiest) form of robogod. What was the point of that?

Probably just a reference to the Fal'cie doing the same thing. The final boss is literally an amalgam of a bunch of previous FF bosses.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

UselessLurker posted:

Its a test of do you understand the most fundamental battle mechanic, can you stagger this guy? His + form does more dooming/gives you less time to stagger him.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Etro broke the bridge in Final Fantasy 1.

And the After Years was her idea.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

McDragon posted:

Etro broke the bridge in Final Fantasy 1.

And the After Years was her idea.

The end boss of The After Years was actually Etro.

There, that ties together most of the 2D games with minimal effort.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Was Etro even mentioned in the original FF13? I have no memory of this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xythar posted:

Was Etro even mentioned in the original FF13? I have no memory of this.

Yes, but only obscurely. She's discussed in a few datalogs and that is about it.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Welp, I beat the final boss and got the rare weapon drop first try, only to realize I forgot to extinct the drat Chimeras like an idiot.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
XIII mentions a lot of this stuff in the encyclopedia and in random bits of lore, but that game is largely centered around the Fal'cie, and it's not til right at the end that their whole gambit and motive involving the actual gods is even explained. Then in XIII-2, since the Fal'cie stuff is largely done, they gotta step it up to the lower gods, and then step it up again with LR dealing with the uber diety.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Welp, I beat the final boss and got the rare weapon drop first try, only to realize I forgot to extinct the drat Chimeras like an idiot.

Be sure to throw that up on the Outerworld service. You don't lose it or anything. Also a good idea to do it with Bladed Lances, and Gagnrads (since you can't get more than one normally), and ethers, turbo ethers, and elixirs.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Systematic System posted:

Be sure to throw that up on the Outerworld service. You don't lose it or anything. Also a good idea to do it with Bladed Lances, and Gagnrads (since you can't get more than one normally), and ethers, turbo ethers, and elixirs.

I already reverted to an earlier save, otherwise I totally would've done that.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Way back in March of 2010 Square Enix released two games in North America: Final Fantasy XIII and Just Cause 2. So what I'm saying is, where's Rico Returns: Just Cause 2? :colbert:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just beat (barely) Snow and the following scene made me shake from laughter. Most of the dialogue in this game is painfully tedious and boring but this one went head-first into 'so bad it's good' territory. I've beaten three main quests now and the game has been pretty fun so far. I just wish the dialogue was better written and presented.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobtheconqueror posted:

XIII mentions a lot of this stuff in the encyclopedia and in random bits of lore, but that game is largely centered around the Fal'cie, and it's not til right at the end that their whole gambit and motive involving the actual gods is even explained. Then in XIII-2, since the Fal'cie stuff is largely done, they gotta step it up to the lower gods, and then step it up again with LR dealing with the uber diety.

This whole trilogy has basically been a really long D&D campaign. Lightning's buddies had to step back for a few months, so she played with her sister and her sister's friend for a while, but she had overlevelled, so the DM had to come up with a way for her to not be in most encounters. And finally she and the DM decided to marathon their way to level 30 over a fortnight.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
My wife just got her bonus check and wants a PS4. Am I correct in assuming that if she wants this game, she CANNOT get it through the playstation network and play on ps4?

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Kilazar posted:

My wife just got her bonus check and wants a PS4. Am I correct in assuming that if she wants this game, she CANNOT get it through the playstation network and play on ps4?

Correct. Ps3 only

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Am I the only person super-sad about the removal of backwards compatibility? Basically the only reason I don't already have a ps4 is that I don't need a second system cluttering up my living room. I bought an early PS3 so it has backwards compatibility with my embarrassingly large library of both PS1 and PS2 games.

(Sorry for the derail)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Backwards Compatibility hasn't really been a thing since the early PS3 days. Discounting Nintendo consoles, thankfully. Though their draconic region locking is probably worse than no backwards compatibility for me.

The PS4 is going to get that Playstation Now, but that's probably going to be a wreck and you'll have to rebuy things you already have to play them.

I think having a bunch of consoles in your room is inevitable. Or at least stored somewhere safe for when you want to play them.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Really the best solution is to buy a PS4 and a PS3 and Lightning Returns, and then play the game on your PS3 using your PS4 controller like a king among men.

Edit: While also remote-playing something else through your PS4 via the Vita you bought.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

Really the best solution is to buy a PS4 and a PS3 and Lightning Returns, and then play the game on your PS3 using your PS4 controller like a king among men.

Edit: While also remote-playing something else through your PS4 via the Vita you bought.

My DualShock 4 didn't work on Lightning Returns for whatever reason.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So i finally beat Caius last night after saving him for last and oh my god IT WAS ALL FOR NOTHING,THANKS SAVOIR! at least he gave me an awesome weapon to go along with Helter Skelter being extremely overpowered physically. I guess it's time to just do random sidequests for the next 4 days since that was all of the main plot.

Also thank god for the return of Crazy Chocobo, even if i can't beat the dude that's carrying it. :(

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Aurain posted:

My DualShock 4 didn't work on Lightning Returns for whatever reason.

You're missing out man; it's pretty sweet for LR. Although my DS4 works fine with EDF 2025 until I get into a vehicle and then it stops recognizing the shoulder buttons until I get back out, so who the gently caress knows what the magic behind it working/not working is.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Aurain posted:

Backwards Compatibility hasn't really been a thing since the early PS3 days. Discounting Nintendo consoles, thankfully. Though their draconic region locking is probably worse than no backwards compatibility for me.

The PS4 is going to get that Playstation Now, but that's probably going to be a wreck and you'll have to rebuy things you already have to play them.

I think having a bunch of consoles in your room is inevitable. Or at least stored somewhere safe for when you want to play them.

I'm still entitled to be butthurt about it. :colbert:

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So i finally beat Caius last night after saving him for last and oh my god IT WAS ALL FOR NOTHING,THANKS SAVOIR! at least he gave me an awesome weapon to go along with Helter Skelter being extremely overpowered physically. I guess it's time to just do random sidequests for the next 4 days since that was all of the main plot.

Also thank god for the return of Crazy Chocobo, even if i can't beat the dude that's carrying it. :(

I still can't find Helter Skelter. I've talked to a bunch of @LRXIII chars or whatever and it hasn't appeared in Outerworld services yet. Anyone know if there's a hidden trigger or specific @LR char to talk to?

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 5, 2014

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Specifically it is the @LRXIII NPC which says "Outerworld Challenge #1." Unfortunately SE seems to rotate what the NPCs say, so you might be out of luck now. Your best shot is to make a throw-away facebook account, link it to your Outerworld, and then use that to summon @LRXIII NPCs till you get the right one.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

That's a good idea, thanks.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Welp, it's early on day 10 and I've completed every main quest, every sidequest that can be completed on the first run, every canvas of prayers quest, and hunted every monster to extinction. I may just have a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

Welp, it's early on day 10 and I've completed every main quest, every sidequest that can be completed on the first run, every canvas of prayers quest, and hunted every monster to extinction. I may just have a problem.

You can't have a problem, you solved all the problems in the entire world.

• Locked thread