Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

step aside
Sep 21, 2011

Pick posted:

It's a bit of a double-standard where if someone makes a poor joke you're allowed to tell them to kill themselves. It's not everyone deserves exactly the same level of sensitivity but I have a hard time reading through the Tumblr comments and not thinking that this is an unfair scenario.

It is cool and good, and well adjusted to wish death on people because they say something you don't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
A joke like that shouldn't be "a mistake" because not only is it tame as all hell but it even had the word "if" in there, which negates all of their bloody arguments anyway.

If anyone is actually legit offended by it then they seriously need to harden the gently caress up.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I am a little sensitive to the issue having known a few suicides in my time but frankly, I would love for everyone to stop telling anyone to kill themselves or die, even if it is now in the colloquial form of "die [adjective] scum".

step aside
Sep 21, 2011

Pick posted:

I am a little sensitive to the issue having known a few suicides in my time but frankly, I would love for everyone to stop telling anyone to kill themselves or die, even if it is now in the colloquial form of "die [adjective] scum".

That is transphobic and racist to say.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Pick posted:

Hear hear :(:respek::(

Roger Explosion posted:

A joke like that shouldn't be "a mistake" because not only is it tame as all hell but it even had the word "if" in there, which negates all of their bloody arguments anyway.

If anyone is actually legit offended by it then they seriously need to harden the gently caress up.

Again, the problem was the RTs and opening up people to harassment by the garbage half of the fanbase. If he'd just ignored the replies to his first tweet I don't think this would've been one-thousandth of the mess it turned into

step aside
Sep 21, 2011

Rasamune posted:

Again, the problem was the RTs and opening up people to harassment by the garbage half of the fanbase. If he'd just ignored the replies to his first tweet I don't think this would've been one-thousandth of the mess it turned into

This is just my opinion, but maybe the half of the fanbase that is getting very offended by an innocuous tweet is the garbage half of the fanbase. Thank you for reading, and god bless.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Social media is the great satan.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Rasamune posted:

step aside posted:

This is just my opinion, but maybe the half of the fanbase that is getting very offended by an innocuous tweet is the garbage half of the fanbase. Thank you for reading, and god bless.

All halves of the fanbase are the garbage half of the fanbase. We all, in our deepest heart of hearts, are Boxbot.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Edward_Tohr posted:

All halves of the fanbase are the garbage half of the fanbase. We all, in our deepest heart of hearts, are Boxbot.

Too real.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Nobody was one tenth as upset at the original joke as they were after the RTs.

Misunderstanding that tweet the way some people did is pretty goofy, but not goofy enough to justify (accidentally) pointing the douchebag patrol at them. That's legitimately a bad move, and the existence of ludicrous caricatures who go way over the line in yelling about it doesn't change that.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Robox!... did.. did I miss anything important?

step aside
Sep 21, 2011

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Misunderstanding that tweet the way some people did is pretty goofy, but not goofy enough to justify (accidentally) pointing the douchebag patrol at them. That's legitimately a bad move, and the existence of ludicrous caricatures who go way over the line in yelling about it doesn't change that.

Actually, it is okay to make fun of a bunch of strangers who urgently want to tell you about their dicks.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Also the hilarious caricatures who handwave any criticism of anyone as the belligerent shriekings of the Social Justice Patrol, which is honestly why I knew RTing anything was the real bad move here.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

step aside posted:

Actually, it is okay to make fun of a bunch of strangers who urgently want to tell you about their dicks.

Preach it.

In Gunnerkrigg Opinions, I dislike how Tom has slowed down the pacing. I enjoy the improvements to the art but wish the story would move a little bit faster. Oh well, still gonna read it.

Jhordhynne
Jan 12, 2010

Blackheart posted:

...No.

Edit: Photoshop after the other two posted.
\/\/\/\/Nice one dyzzy.

Jhordhynne fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 4, 2014

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Blackheart posted:

No
\
[ O ▽ O ]

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Blackheart posted:

Ah crap I took way too long installing the font :negative:

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I found this post in the notes on the apology on tumblr:

quote:

All right, haz-mat suit on, time to lay things out with tongs.
In Man of Steel, Lois Lane admonished male characters in one scene to cease metaphorically measuring their penises, to which Tom there said that hers was likely the bigger one anyway — this being a colloquialism for simultaneously diminishing a male party and praising a female.
His comment further mocked the male characters by being a deliberately juvenile insult — the kind that, by its use in context, implies the ones being insulted would themselves use it, which itself is another layer of insult.
So, to belabor the point: For one line of one scene of one movie, Tom Siddell praised a female character, agreed with the tone of her mockery, and continued said mockery in her favor.
And for this, he was set upon immediately for alleged transphobia.
Why? Because Internet, that’s why, and because Tumblr especially.
I swear, this place’s mission statement should be “Thousands of years of human insensitivity overcorrected-for as fast as fingers can type.”
Or possibly “Bullies bullying the vapors of bullying without forethought or sensitivity to context.”
Or possibly “But [target] said [thing]! [target] was asking for it!”
And so, one of the most valuable additions to comics to come out of the Internet — a man recently evicted from his home, a man for whom his readers are his reason to live, a man already acutely aware of the injustices of society — seriously contemplated hanging himself.
You goddamn bullies.
You god-damned bullies.
Understand: you serve no one, least of all yourselves, by engaging in behavior like that in the way you’ve done it.
It infuriates me, I suppose, but I’m not the injured party here.
So Tom, in the unlikely event you see this: Thank you for all your work, which graces my shelves. I will not cease reading it.

I thought that was pretty cool.

E: Every single one of the people he retweeted deserved to be mocked and made fun of, as does any person who would get offended at that tweet while completely ignoring the context and the meaning of it. Every single one of those people had no loving idea what the tweet was even about, and they delegitimize the entire progressive movement and allow it to be written off as stupid assholes on the internet who just want something to be mad at. Because that's precisely what they are.

I would not be saddened if they were all constantly harrased to the point of having to delete every social media account they have and having to fuckin go outside for once in order to get human interaction.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 4, 2014

step aside
Sep 21, 2011

ChairMaster posted:

I found this post in the notes on the apology on tumblr:

I thought that was pretty cool.

E: Every single one of the people he retweeted deserved to be mocked and made fun of, as does any person who would get offended at that tweet while completely ignoring the context and the meaning of it. Every single one of those people had no loving idea what the tweet was even about, and they delegitimize the entire progressive movement and allow it to be written off as stupid assholes on the internet who just want something to be mad at. Because that's precisely what they are.

I would not be saddened if they were all constantly harrased to the point of having to delete every social media account they have and having to fuckin go outside for once in order to get human interaction.

One of the people who was very mad about transphobia has more than 105,000 tweets. Even if you give that person the benefit of the doubt and say that they started using Twitter as soon as it was available, that's 37 tweets a day, every day since July of 2006.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Yeah I'm pissed at this.

Don't say "social justice warriors don't exist" or that saying they do makes you a republican or something.

I don't like homophobia or transphobia but I'm not going to pretend everyone on my side of the debate is a flawless person.

a clamcake
Apr 13, 2013

Mostly Batter
It's a bad idea to tell the internet about your junk. Period. I feel bad those women are getting seriously harassed over some dumb tweets but Tom did nothing wrong besides misjudging his audience. People honestly think yelling "some women have penises too!" is a good way to be an ally these days so it was pretty obvious retweeting those women wasn't going to end in a communal 'haha' over their misinterpretation. This whole thing is so dumb.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

a clamcake posted:

I feel bad those women are getting seriously harassed over some dumb tweets

Why

Those people are loving terrible. Maybe they'll learn how to read or something as a result, that'd be cool, right? Instead of being loving stupid in the future they could take a couple seconds to click a button on the internet. before getting mad about nothing. That'd be great for them!

e: VVVVV Probably not, I guess.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 4, 2014

step aside
Sep 21, 2011

ChairMaster posted:

Why

Those people are loving terrible. Maybe they'll learn how to read or something as a result, that'd be cool, right? Instead of being loving stupid in the future they could take a couple seconds to click a button on the internet. before getting mad about nothing. That'd be great for them!

Nah, they'll just see it as proof that trans people are literally the most oppressed people on earth and keep on keeping on. Do you really think any of them will think, oh, maybe I shouldn't tell random strangers about my genitals.

a clamcake
Apr 13, 2013

Mostly Batter

ChairMaster posted:

Why

It would be cool if they realized its dumb but I think it'd be better if everyone was able to avoid emotional devastation over a man of steel quote. Call me an optimist. Also I don't see Tom feeling any better if actual harm came out of this, people would go after him harder.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Edward_Tohr posted:

Except for the half of us that are Robox, duh. :colbert:

So how about that Mort Fun Time? Let's throw a going-away party for everyone's favorite ghost! :toot: That and this huge digression about the internet trying to ruin Tom's life is mad depressing.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
This is why I don't use twitter.

Seriously, with the character limit combined with people who post hundreds of times a day and expect you to reply instantly, there's such enormous potential for misunderstanding and strife, with relatively minor missteps ballooning into people being told to kill themselves or goaded into stabbing their own hands. Combine that with the whole followers and retweet structure and it's just a minefield.

Tumblr has similar structural problems, which is probably why it's become a cliche for misguided social justice crusades, the lack of a robust comment system and the way things spread around tends to allow people to get riled up in their own little echo chambers. Even when a grievance is legitimate, things have a habit of spiralling out of control very quickly in a way you don't really see as much on traditional blogs and very rarely see on forums where everyone reading has access to every part of the conversation.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It is hazardous to have fans and depression at the same time. I hope that Tom can find the courage and wellness to believe that he should not die because of Twitter.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Bongo Bill posted:

It is hazardous to have fans and depression at the same time. I hope that Tom can find the courage and wellness to believe that he should not die because of Twitter.

This is a statement which I agree with.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

If you're at the point where you're seriously asking this question, you are trying too hard to be Edgy McGoon and should probably take several steps back to think about poo poo.

Parts of this fanbase are way more gross than I cared to realize, so that's cool.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Why did Man of Steel have to happen? It shoulda been a Gunnerkrigg movie.

Man of Steel really is the gift that keeps on giving (everyone painful achilles injuries, laughing sinisterly).

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 4, 2014

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Ah great, the edgy anti-SJW crew is hear to tell us why anyone offended over anything is a delusional shut-in, who deserve being harassed or some absolute horseshit.

Please vacate yourselves back to GBS or FYAD or whatever trashcan you spawned from, thanks.

In other news: the new Chapter art is really cute.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I feel dumber for even knowing about this insipid loving "scandal" jesus h christ

Not So Fast posted:

Ah great, the edgy anti-SJW crew is hear to tell us why anyone offended over anything is a delusional shut-in, who deserve being harassed or some absolute horseshit.

Please vacate yourselves back to GBS or FYAD or whatever trashcan you spawned from, thanks.

False dichotomies are pretty cool I guess.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

ChairMaster posted:

Every single one of those people had no loving idea what the tweet was even about, and they delegitimize the entire progressive movement and allow it to be written off as stupid assholes on the internet who just want something to be mad at.

The people who write it off would have done so anyway. The "social justice warrior" boogeyman just gives them a convenient excuse.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Rita Repulsa posted:

Yeah I'm pissed at this.

Don't say "social justice warriors don't exist" or that saying they do makes you a republican or something.

I don't like homophobia or transphobia but I'm not going to pretend everyone on my side of the debate is a flawless person.

I think the problem with it is less that they're on "your side of the debate" so much as like eighty percent of the troublesome ones don't give a poo poo about social justice at all. They're just bullies who noticed that, if they use social justice words to harass and belittle, not only do they get the satisfaction of ruining someone else's day, they get praised for it. So as long as they choose their victims with a little care they never have to own up to it because when you call them out, someone else will jump to their defense about how they're totally doing the right thing and you're just butthurt because you can't call people "tranny" anymore (if that's something you actually are mad about though don't do that, it's mad rude).

I always kind of strongly suspected this was a problem but the whole hullabaloo over "Miss Officer and Mister Truffles" proved it for me. Basic facts were just a lame attempt to dodge a well-deserved and extended lambasting, and if she could please kill herself like the lovely white cishet she was (fun fact: she is not, at all), that would be fantastic. The whole thing just kind of made me wonder if the basic tenets of "basic human decency for all" is even possible with shitlords like this undermining the movement from within.

Okay time for comic talk.

Demiurge4 posted:

I want to know more about the Seraph robots. They showed up well after Kat had resurrected and killed the old robot, and after that weird king robot was shown the tomb (they also didn't go into the tomb). Robot was accused of spreading disinformation but they seem very much out of the loop.

Robot used to be one of those Seraph robots. I wonder what's different about him. If Kat popped the top on one of the others do you think she'd find they have the same weird thing on their CPU as Robot?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I think we can all agree on this :)

(Who would voice Annie and Kat? Estelle should voice Jones I know that much)

step aside
Sep 21, 2011

Not So Fast posted:

In other news: the new Chapter art is really cute.

In my opinion, it is okay, good, and maybe even justice to make fun of people you don't know showing up to tell you about their dicks.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

I know this is an upsetting issue and one worth talking about, but at least in this thread could we avoid making statements like "[X] people deserve to get harassed" or "this just proves that [X] people are contemptible"? Tom has made it extremely clear that he feels responsible for and bad about facilitating this unpleasantness, and I don't see that using his apology as a catalyst for doubling down will make him feel any better. Regardless of your take on the incident, the best thing any of us can do for his mental wellbeing right now is to take what he's said for himself seriously and stop attacking people on his behalf.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Heliotrope posted:

The people who write it off would have done so anyway. The "social justice warrior" boogeyman just gives them a convenient excuse.

Nah they are legitimately blunting the effectiveness of the message to those who otherwise might listen.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

step aside posted:

In my opinion, it is okay, good, and maybe even justice to make fun of people you don't know showing up to tell you about their dicks.

If you really believe this (and aren't fakeposting like your carefully constructed tone seems to suggest) you're really deluded. It is not OK to harass someone because they were uncomfortable with a joke someone made.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Nah they are legitimately blunting the effectiveness of the message to those who otherwise might listen.

I think part of the problem nowadays is people paint the entire LGBT movement with such a broad brush. Everyone who is LGBT ends up under the microscope to such a degree that anything is apparently "bad for the movement". People need to recognize that a) objecting to something is not a bad thing and b) individuals do not need to represent a movement 100% of the time on their social media blogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Not So Fast posted:

Tom was the one being harassed.
Are you justifying the people harassing Tom or did you just swoop in because a search revealed the word "Sjw" so you could come in and feel superior without reading a single word of what was breing talked about.