Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Option A.

I figure the lowest tier of teams probably don't even want to last beyond this season and would rather start from scratch. Plus this way the drafts end up better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Option A seems like the best idea given the arguements presented in the thread.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yeah, we can't sacrifice depth in the drafts because that's pretty much a new team's best shot at getting the players needed to survive, never mind any thing competitive. So A.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

:sigh: A

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I am a greedy rear end in a top hat who wants more teams for drafts.

Option A

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Option A! LET THE WORLD BURN!!!!

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Throw another one on the A pile.

5-1 week, lost half a game, brilliant. Let's get everything in line for that Bombers series at least:

vs RHP w/ DH:

1. Ty Cobb CF
2. Joe Torre C
3. Luke Appling SS
4. Mark McGwire DH
5. Dave Winfield LF
6. Chipper Jones 3B
7. Paul Waner RF
8. Carl Yastrzemski 1B
9. Robinson Cano 2B

vs LHP w/ DH:

1. Ty Cobb CF
2. Joe Torre C
3. Luke Appling SS
4. Mark McGwire DH
5. Dave Winfield LF
6. Ron Santo 3B
7. Paul Waner RF
8. Carl Yastrzemski 1B
9. Robinson Cano 2B

Bullpen:

CL: Henke
SU: Orosco
SR: Wilhelm
SR: Hands
MR: Wetteland
LR: Sabathia

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

Lineups and Rotation

RHP

CF Ty Cobb
2B Nap Lajoie
3B Eddie Mathews
1B Jimmie Foxx
LF Sam Crawford
RF Jose Canseco
C Mickey Tettleton
SS Ernie Banks
P

LHP

2B Nap Lajoie
CF Ty Cobb
1B Jimmie Foxx
LF Sam Crawford
3B Buddy Bell
C Rick Ferrell
SS Ernie Banks
P

Rotation

Walter Johnson
Charley Radbourn
George Mullin
Bill Donovan
Ed Killian

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
BIG SHELL

New lineup:

C: Joe Torre (Make Brian McCann Steve Carlton's personal catcher so Torre doesn't die)
1B: Dick Allen
2B: Joe Morgan
SS: Omar Infante
3B: George Brett
LF: Lou Brock
CF: Jimmy Wynn
RF: Curtis Granderson

And probably leave it like that for the rest of the season. Floundering around .500 seems to be my fate.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Really it has to be option A to help maintain draft quality, even though it puts more pressure on those of us who are on the bubble.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Option A carries it!

Week 19 Injury Report

Coburns
George Brett (3B) (More reps for Schmitty!) - 12 days
Ken Holtzman (SP) (Much like how some other cultures used to burn the wives and/or servants of the honored dead to guide them on their way to the next world, so too do the Coburns injure a player to help guide Brett to the DL) - 11 days

Detroit Protectors
Jimmie Foxx (1B) (Made you look!) - He's fine!

Fhloston Pharmas
FairGame, for you many crimes against the Super-League, I have been forced to enact Highlander law. There can be only one!
'74 Andy Messersmith (SP) (Here we are, born to be kings!) - 14 days
'92 Rickey Henderson (LF) (We're the princes of the universe....) - 61 days

Fukuoka Finger-Bangers
Dazzy Vance (SP) (You broke my heart, Marauder) - Out for Season

Great Plains Revolution
Clay Buchholz (SP) (Blood must flow for Humungus to walk this earth once more) - 11 days

Greatest Googly-Mooglies
Doug Fister (SP) (At least you didn't trade him to the Nationals for magic beans!) - 8 days

Khartoum Doom
Juan Marichal (SP) (CM PUNK! CM PUNK! CM PUNK! CM PUNK!) - 20 days

Mitchell Kernels
Michael Wuertz (RP) (The corn has him now.) - 14 days

New World Symphony
Dizzy Dean (SP) (Stage III ELP) - 12 days

Pick 'em: Hey, Hulkamatt, since you're here, am I allowed to claim that this is a Pokemon LP to drive up the viewership numbers?

UNIFICATION SERIES! Intercontinental and Hardcore Championships
Rakers unify vs. both retain vs. Eazy W's unify

Television Championship
Greatest Googly-Mooglies @ Australian Thunder (c)

Canadian Championship
Chi-Town Wests @ Cancun Tornados (c)

UNIFICATION SERIES! United States and European Championships
Coburns unify vs. both retain vs. Pirates unify

Heavyweight and Larkin-Downing Championships
New World Symphony (c) @ Fhloston Pharmas

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
All champs retain

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
All champs retain.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Detroit Protectors
Jimmie Foxx (1B) (Made you look!) - He's fine!

Not gonna lie, I legit cackled at this.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I'd be more upset about this if '92 Rickey weren't like my worst offensive player for some reason. 2 weeks of a Messersmith hurts. I think it's time for Dock Ellis to take center stage!

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:
All champs retain

I'll make changes after the update to see how badly the corn hurt Mr. Wuertz.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Rakers and Coburns unify, all other champs retain!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Pick 'Em Standings

1.) CVE, 130 points
2.) ForeverBWFC, 129 points (has Tiebreaker against CVE though)
3.) Captain Yesterday, 119 points
4.) CFBalla, 116 points
5.) UDQ, 114 points

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Symphony

Ah, the dreaded Mussorgsky's Disease. While Dean is out, give Gooden his spot, on the theory that at this point, no amount of cocaine could make things any worse.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Monathin posted:

Not gonna lie, I legit cackled at this.

I did too.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Hey cbx, now that it's all but guaranteed I'll survive the season in some way, shape, or form, does that change the calculus on a Walter Johnson trade? I can include draft picks and such given my impending non-death.

If it's still a non-starter or you'd rather just talk about it after the season, that's cool too.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Hey, Hulkamatt, since you're here, am I allowed to claim that this is a Pokemon LP to drive up the viewership numbers?

The case for this is hard but if I change my avatar back to Groudon it can very well better your case.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

FairGame posted:

Hey cbx, now that it's all but guaranteed I'll survive the season in some way, shape, or form, does that change the calculus on a Walter Johnson trade? I can include draft picks and such given my impending non-death.

If it's still a non-starter or you'd rather just talk about it after the season, that's cool too.

We can revisit it after the season, I want to see how the rest of the year plays out for the train and I don't have a value on your draft picks yet.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

tadashi posted:

New lineup:

1. Allen, 3B
2. Mays, CF
3. Cepeda, 1B
4. Palmeiro, DH
5. Larkin, SS
6. Rodriguez, C
7. O'Neil, RF
8. McCovey, LF
9. Oester, 2B

I don't think these changes made it in before the last update or else I posted after the update was run but before it was posted. Whatever the case, here are some minor changes.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Pick 'em: Hey, Hulkamatt, since you're here, am I allowed to claim that this is a Pokemon LP to drive up the viewership numbers?

Champs retain

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Pick 'em: Hey, Hulkamatt, READ THE BOOK

both retain

Television Championship
Australian Thunder (c)

Canadian Championship
Chi-Town Wests

both retain vs

New World Symphony (c)

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Expansion Cup XII, July

Games of the Month

Frank Gaiman posted:

CALAMITIES OUTLAST FIRE FERRETS, TAKE SERIES

Canton - The Fire Ferrets are a juggernaut, winning at nearly a .700 clip with the league's best record. The Calamities, on the other hand, have the league's worst. Still, when Canton ace Christy Mathewson's on the mound, anything is possible.

What didn't seem possible was Mathewson getting worked for six walks, twice his previous season high. Three times, the Calamites staked him to multi-run leads, the final time on a monstrous sixth-inning 3-run homer by Robin Ventura. Three times, Monathin stuck with a wild Big Six far too long.

Down 7-4 in the seventh, the Ferrets mounted a rally. Already past 100 pitches entering the inning, a visibly laboring Mathewson gave up a one-out hit to Stuffy McInnis on a 3-1 count, then walked Bobby Doerr on four pitches.

Still, Monathin stuck with Big Six. He was rewarded with back-to-back RBI singles by Johnny Pesky and Jimmie Foxx, tightening the score to 7-6 and putting the lead run on base. Finally, Monathin realized what everyone else in the park realized two innings previous, and belatedly summoned a reliever. Eddie Watt coaxed a weak grounder from Wally Schang and Ty Cobb to stop the bleeding.

The teams traded single runs in their last at bats, but the Calamities held on to the lead to take both the game and the series.

Naturally, Monathin immediately went into his Bastion shtick when asked about his belated bullpen usage."Man they call 'Big Six' is a man's man and he don't cotton to askin' for help. Said he still had some bullets left in that gun. Kid stuck with his gut."

"Kid got lucky. Sometimes, Kid reckons, better to be lucky than good."

A visibly-annoyed Senerio didn't find Monathin's explanation satisfactory. "Now see here," he began. "Anyone with half a brain realized that Mathewson was done, but you just sat there, paralyzed."

Monathin shrugged. "No," Senerio continued. "It's a big deal. You can't get away with that sort of thing in the Super League or the other teams will eat you for breakfast. Let me explain this in terms you'll understand. You see, Christy Mathewson is like legendary Japanese animator Hayao Miyazaki."

Immediately, Monathin perked up. "Most Mathewson works are an absolute joy to watch, and you feel better about yourself having seen them. Smarter. Superior. Cultured, even."

Monathin nodded knowingly. "But whereas Mathewson usually turns out a 'Spirited Away' or at least a 'My Neighbor Totoro," this particular start was a 'The Wind Rises."

Monathin's brow furrowed. "I haven't seen that one yet! Is it Miyazaki-san's opus?"

"No!" shouted Senerio, as he banged his fist on the table. "You sit there, just watching, waiting for something to happen. For the magic to which you’ve grown accustomed to come back. But it never comes. You waste two and half hours of your life, and then the only moderately interesting character dies of tuberculosis!"

Monathin sighed. "Kid gets it now. Gotta pay more attention."

GAME NOTES

- Christy Mathewson is a far more interesting person than anyone in The Wind Rises, though he also died of tuberculosis.

Box Score

Sir Renee posted:

WITCHES BEAT CORRUPTION 8-2, COMMISSIONER McFREEZE BLAMES THREAD FOR POOR WRITE-UP

In a hard-fought battle, the Salem Witches scored 7 points in the first inning, and proceeded to give up nothing for the first seven innings. The stadium was said to be empty by the fifth inning, where the Witches were up 8-0. The Corruption, incensed by the lack of fans in the stadium mounted a comeback that amounted to a single run in innings eight and nine.

When asked about the game, neither Pander or Mooseontheloose were able to go on record, as Pander wouldn't stop cursing and Mooseontheloose wouldn't stop laughing.

Commissioner McFreeze was interviewed afterwards about the lackluster write-up. He said, “Don't blame me! I gave the games to the public to write up. If anyone should be blamed, it's each and every one of you. I gave every one of you the opportunity to succeed. If anyone is to blame for this write-up, it's Senerio, because he actually wrote this up.”

Senerio was unavailable for comment, because even he found this write-up too lackluster.

GAME NOTES

- More like Walker Pooper.

Box Score

Zac Ido posted:

JAY HOWELL PROBABLY CHEATS; GUMSHOES BAD AT JOBS, GOOD AT WINNING

Los Angeles – With a questionable closing out, the Gumshoes come away with a win after using bureaucratic trickery to defeat the Nowhere Ooga Boogas 4-2 at home.

Going into the final inning of a hotly contest ballgame, the Gumshoes chose to keep Jay Howell out on the mound. Such a display of faith was not unwarranted; Howell was a fine reliever with three all-star appearances to his name and promptly looked every bit of one, striking out Troy Tulowitzki on five pitches and getting Jim Gilliam out on a lazy fly to center. With the game all but lost, the Gumshoes were already high fiving in the dugout when the first pitch to Wally Moon crossed the plate. Seven pitches later, Bobby Grich was standing at the plate, staring at the winning run on first base.

Through an indecipherable series of motions, grunts, and gyrations, a message was relayed from the dugout to Jay Howell, who some witnesses report reached into his jersey then into his glove. The following eighty-four mile an hour ‘fastball’ was promptly whacked into a weak grounder to third, ending the game and causing uproar amongst Nowhere’s bullpen. Howell immediately rushed off the mound after the game and dropped his glove into a bucket of acid the gumshoes keep in their dugout.

During his post-game protest/press conference, Ooga Booga owner GVOLTT unleashed a brutal tirade on what he called the ‘blatant cheating and dickishness’ of the Gumshoes.

“Come on people! Why would they have a bucket of acid in the dugout if they weren’t destroying evidence? Jay Howell has been kicked out of games for doctoring the ball before, there’s no other explanation for Bobby not taking a walk!” GVOLTT ranted, “And why was the whole Gumshoe bench doing the YMCA? This is bullshit perfidy and I demand recompense!” The comments continued for several more minutes until a lawyer from the Gumshoes handed the apoplectic manager a letter from expansion cup commissioner McFreeze.

quote:

Given the extreme harms that rule violations could cause to the super league, the commissioner’s office takes very seriously any accusations of wrongdoing towards any player, team, or owner within the Super-League Expansion Cup season. To this end, an independent private investigation firm familiar with Super-League regulations had been contracted at the beginning of the season. To preserve this organizations anonymity, they shall not be named, but their completely independent report has assured me that any and all substances on Jay Howells glove were totally ok to be there, he said so himself.
          Signed,
          McFreeze

Upon finishing the letter, GVOLTT began to shake in rage, “Are you loving kidding me? What the gently caress other organization would investigate loving baseball crimes in the Super League? Independent firm my rear end!” When reporters left the room at 7pm, the ranting continued unabated.

Archie Goodwin was quoted as saying “I’m sure whoever is responsible for investigating these accusations will find any evidence out there right after they find Curly’s gold.”

GAME NOTES

- Man, this is just not Tulo’s season.
- Wilbur Cooper threw exactly 100 pitches, which is nice because I like numbers divisible by 5.

Box Score

Mick Freese posted:

CAREW CREW GAINS MILLIONS OF NEW MEMBERS AT ALL-STAR GAME

Republic City - The All-Star Game is known worldwide as the Expansion Cup showcase, where the best players in the league pretend that they are making an effort, and everyone is forced to listen to Joe Buck for nearly four hours. It is a miserable day that reminds us all the worst things about baseball.

Tonight's game was no different. Despite the Reynolds League having a lineup of all their best hitters, and the Kruk League having the Fire Ferrets, the game was not the exciting, high-scoring affair many would have expected. Instead, it was an endless stream of groundouts with the occasional single mixed in. Even Tim McCarver couldn't pretend that this was a pitcher's duel for the ages, because the starting pitchers were Mike Mussina and Fergie Jenkins, neither one especially dominant. Simply put, this game displayed clearly to everyone just how badly the owners of this Expansion Cup had failed to build quality teams.

The fans began to stand and applaud as the ninth inning grew nearer, but their smiles turned to faces of shock and horror as Frank Robinson, who apparently didn't get the memo, hit a single over third base to score one of the many clones of 2006 Joe Mauer, and tie the game.

As the game moved into the tenth inning, suicide rates in Republic City were reaching an all-time high. But as one of the masked Mystery Men from the Mystery Team stepped to the plate, one great hero decided to sacrifice himself to save the world. You guessed it - it was our Lord and Savior, Rod Carew. Without anyone noticing, he had knocked out Bobby Doerr and disguised himself as the Kruk League's second baseman.

A slow grounder to second base would have been an easy out and ensured our continued torment. But the heroic Carew had other plans. Picking the ball up, he then autographed it and handed it to a woman in the stands with big tits, allowing the winning run to score, and maybe, just maybe, saving the world.

GAME NOTES

- Then the Marauder Syndicate came in with steel chairs and beat everybody up. The end.

- You may also notice that one team got to use the DH, and the other team did not, and they still lost.

Box Score

Team Statistics

Analysis

If you want to make a run at the division, you'll need a Fournier Transform.

Analysis

In Rod we trust!

Analysis

Martin Prado and Omar Infante will finally lead CraigK to a Super-League championship!

Analysis

I think your pitchers got even worse since the last update.

Analysis

You probably should have kept Chapman as the closer.

Analysis

Losing 5 out of 7 to the Calamities? Unacceptable!

Analysis

I begrudgingly admit that there's nothing to complain about here.

Analysis

You did have one "major" injury, but it was only for a few weeks and ended before the end of the month, so it didn't make it to the report.

Analysis

Stop choking the division away!

Analysis

Win this one for Bubbles!

Analysis

Yankee Stadium isn't that friendly to your pitching numbers.

Analysis

Miguel Cabrera won the home run derby! Just the first step to a historic comeback.

Analysis

Oor Wullie is back!

Analysis

That outfield defense is bad.

Analysis

Babe Ruth sucks now, you're doomed.

Analysis

If the season lasted for like 3 years, this team would eventually end up being pretty good.

Analysis

Your Pythag is basically the same, except now you're unlucky.

Standings

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 5, 2014

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

A winning month AND HR derby championship? I think we've reached the high water mark of our season.

Can I call up Kazmir to plug in at LRP and replace the injured Scherzer with Shields @ SP5, and bump everyone in the rotation up a spot please.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Man. In EC VIII I had a Walker Cooper do really well too. He didn't replicate the success in SLIX.

I'm actually pretty happy with how things are going.

Send down Marshall, bring back Chapman in his spot
Mike Sweeney's now my regular catcher.

Marte's a much better lefty reliever. If any EC owner wants a marginal lefty RP for a marginal righty RP lemme know.

Send down Walker Cooper, call up Ibanez.

New Lineup: (changes in bold)

2B - Reyes
SS - HanRam
1B - Votto
CF - Beltran
C - Sweeney
3B - Bautista
RF - Dye
LF - Sauer

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

Sure, my outfield defense is bad, but what else am I gonna do? Willie Davis and Frank Howard are making up for it in offense, and CarGo at least got a little better, unlike Tulo. Speaking of Tulo, he is killing me. I think I'll just straight up bench Troy Tulowitzki in all lineups for Maury Wills. But I still will have separate lineups, because I'm starting another platoon, this time with CarGo. Carlos Gonzalez starts against RHPs, Don Baylor starts against LHPs. No idea how it will alleviate my defensive woes, but with Baylor's small sample size, his offense looks good. In other news not related to lineup changes, Jim Gilliam has been a nice surprise; maybe 3B's not my top priority after the season, compared to 1B or even SS now.

Pitching is as pitching does. No changes on that front.

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.

The ghost of Bubbles will live on. Swap Darold Knowles and Ed Roebuck. Thanks.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Television Championship

Canadian Championship

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Everyone retains.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Wow a great month and for the first time in quite a while I actually outperform my pythag (won't win the division though the Knights are still going to strong). Clearly the Carew Crew is what I needed. Stay the course.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I knew when I saw my 1-run game record that my results would catch up to my performance. Oh well. I'm just happy for the opportunity to test out a few players here and there. Now I know Jay Bruce is more than likely worse than Raul Ibanez, a result that mildly surprises me.

And Robinson Cano is a bigger BBM choker than A-Rod.

e: Just looked at SLStats to see what's up with Robbie.

I have no clue what's wrong with him other than insane variance in his ability. The same 27 y/o model had a 4.05 RF and 66 DPs in about the same # of innings at 2B as a model that had a 6.04 RF and 149 DPs turned.

How does that happen? Even with the Bloggers having a pretty goofy field conditions set (250 foot left field wall, yet low HR totals and park factor of 96?) it boggles the mind that Cano can do so well in one instance and so ineptly in the other.

Pander fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 5, 2014

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Eazy W's unify

Television Championship
Australian Thunder (c)

Canadian Championship
Cancun Tornados (c)

both retain

New World Symphony (c)

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I feel like we'd be doing moderately better in a division that didn't incorporate the Fire Ferrets, and if I wasn't hating you in jest I'd accuse you of having rigged that against me. Ah well.

Also hey, Sosa is hitting over .240! Now if he'd learn how to draw a loving walk, we'd be in business. :argh:

In other news, let's at least try to stitch the open wound that is my pitching situation. Red Ames to Long Man, Doc Crandall to SP4.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Well some things work, others don't...

Put Dunston Back in at SS in the same spot of the lineup.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Monathin posted:

I feel like we'd be doing moderately better in a division that didn't incorporate the Fire Ferrets, and if I wasn't hating you in jest I'd accuse you of having rigged that against me. Ah well.

The only team you have a winning record against is the Killer Mikes, at 7-5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Television Championship

Canadian Championship