Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK2dyztcYXI

This makes for some crazy ambient music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SunAndSpring posted:

Sadly, Skyrim made all the quests "Go into this dungeon full of draugr and kill the boss and/or fetch me an item."

Skyrim took the Progress Quest method and made it reality.

-Fetch me a staff

-Placate the Greybeards

-Exterminate the Forsworn

-Negotiating purchase of writing staff (incomplete)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Minarchist posted:

Fuckin :stare:
:catdrugs:

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Minarchist posted:

This reminds me of some of Skyrim's ambient tracks, and now I'm thinking this is where the composer got the idea from.

Edit: Maybe I'm just tired, but it sounds kind of similar to this one

Fake James fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 4, 2014

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

SunAndSpring posted:

The Mages Guild is an obvious exception. I'd rank the guilds/factions in TES IV as Thieves Guild>Dark Brotherhood>Knights of the Nine>Fighters Guild>Arena>>>>>>>>>>horse cum>>>>>>>>Mages Guild.

Sadly, Skyrim made all the quests "Go into this dungeon full of draugr and kill the boss and/or fetch me an item."

Okay yeah I agree with that.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I really liked how much of a scrub you are when you join guilds at first. "Oh hey newb, go kill some rats/ gather me some mushrooms I duno just please gently caress off, ok?"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shoehead posted:

I really liked how much of a scrub you are when you join guilds at first. "Oh hey newb, go kill some rats/ gather me some mushrooms I duno just please gently caress off, ok?"

The first three mage guild quests in Balmorra are this...

1) Gather some mushrooms for me cause I have better things to do.

2) Gather some flowers for me cause I have better things to do.

3) Go the shop (literally next door) and get me a bowl. Just a regular rear end bowl. Oh and here's like three coins extra, don't spend it all in one place champ.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Chomp8645 posted:

3) Go the shop (literally next door) and get me a bowl. Just a regular rear end bowl. Oh and here's like three coins extra, don't spend it all in one place champ.

when you come back with the bowl they're too upset to even take it off you. I lugged that thing around for like a week before I realized I still had it on me.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

SunAndSpring posted:

Disappointed? You should be overjoyed that her first response to the death of royalty in video games is to see if they have unique and useful items.

No, I mean we were disappointed that all we got was a lovely unwearable necklace, those robes were cool as hell.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Shoehead posted:

when you come back with the bowl they're too upset to even take it off you. I lugged that thing around for like a week before I realized I still had it on me.

Oh poo poo, so did I and never even realised!

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

smokyprogg posted:

reminder that if you aren't using the pocket dimension from the daedric crescent as your house, you're seriously missing out
Protip: The last couple of levels of the Clockwork City don't spawn monsters and the geartooth wall platforms make for a house with hundreds of perfectly aligned storage and display areas, plus a dead god in your bedroom with cool Star Trek control panels. Barilzar's Mazed Band can teleport you there whenever you want, which lets you put your mark elsewhere and still have the best house ever :ssh:

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
The crib of champions is the dwemer ruins hidden inside the underwater grotto near Ebonheart.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Chomp8645 posted:

At least the boring fetch quests in Morrowind were given by characters that were aware that they are being assholes, and/or they were making you do something incredibly dull for their own entertainment.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Shoehead posted:

if you already have the bowl on you, you can give it to her before you leave and return to the guild (triggering the next quest) it actually gives you enough mage's guild rep that you can raise up to conjurer (rather than evoker) from ajira's quests alone.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

bonus hole boy posted:

if you already have the bowl on you, you can give it to her before you leave and return to the guild (triggering the next quest) it actually gives you enough mage's guild rep that you can raise up to conjurer (rather than evoker) from ajira's quests alone.

drat. Ah well.

Looking at the map I've realised that there are xs all over the place, and that I've literally never gone to the Grazelands.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

i like the rear end in a top hat mage who tells you 'go find out what happened to the dwarves!'

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

conceitedguy posted:

i like the rear end in a top hat mage who tells you 'go find out what happened to the dwarves!'

The best thing about this quest was that it was clearly total bullshit you were meant to ignore, but it was still doable if you went out and did a bunch of dwemer poo poo

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
i like when you complete it how he's like uhhhhhhhh good job, now go murder all of house telvanni lol

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Crewmine posted:

The best thing about this quest was that it was clearly total bullshit you were meant to ignore, but it was still doable if you went out and did a bunch of dwemer poo poo

No the best part was talking to the other people in the guild about the various bs he had them doing, like learn the language of the silt striders.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

No the best part was talking to the other people in the guild about the various bs he had them doing, like learn the language of the silt striders.

"He has me cataloging every fork and bottle on Vvardenfell! I'll never finish."

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
dropped a piece of firewood in the middle of the riften market

two NPCs immediately decided that they wanted it and got into a death battle over it

the battle will never end because they are both essential

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

What's really funny is that she sells like half of the things she tells you go get for her.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

What's really funny is that she sells like half of the things she tells you go get for her.

the bowl she's looking for is literally upstairs on the little end table by the mage who does the advancement

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

smokyprogg posted:

i like when you complete it how he's like uhhhhhhhh good job, now go murder all of house telvanni lol

i never actually got to the point of him offering that quest because i always killed trebonius in the arena for his baller necromancer's amulet

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

if you don't pick up all the mushrooms and flowers on the way to balmora once youre off the boat I don't know what to tell you

all except for stoneflower petals gently caress that hope you find it randomly in a sack while stealing everything unless you're a scrub who actually goes out of their way for one

I like the balmora mages guild quest where you're sent to kill a 'necromancer' who is actually a healer over some petty poo poo, meanwhile you can go downstairs and buy some restoration spells off an orc necromancer that can't bluff for poo poo

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Broken Box posted:

I like the balmora mages guild quest where you're sent to kill a 'necromancer' who is actually a healer over some petty poo poo, meanwhile you can go downstairs and buy some restoration spells off an orc necromancer that can't bluff for poo poo

Ranis doesn't give a poo poo about necromancy, and the Mages' guild doesn't either. Ranis is just being a massive bitch because the woman you're sent to kill told Ranis she would rather stay out of the guild and practice healing on her own. Only the native born Dunmer and the temple actually care about necromancy (despite binding their ancestors souls to the clan forever and using their bones as tomb guardians)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Minarchist posted:

Ranis doesn't give a poo poo about necromancy, and the Mages' guild doesn't either. Ranis is just being a massive bitch because the woman you're sent to kill told Ranis she would rather stay out of the guild and practice healing on her own. Only the native born Dunmer and the temple actually care about necromancy (despite binding their ancestors souls to the clan forever and using their bones as tomb guardians)

The two quests before that are basically you shaking down/bothering prospective members for money. I'll still working my way through it but so far I love how many assholes there are in the Mages' Guild Quest.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Minarchist posted:

Only the native born Dunmer and the temple actually care about necromancy (despite binding their ancestors souls to the clan forever and using their bones as tomb guardians)

Yes but you see, our ancestors totally guard our tombs willingly and they gladly let their spirit be dissolved in a giant wall around a volcano. Honest! :downs:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

My fave thing about the guild quests in Skyrim is that in every one of them there is someone who is a much better choice than you to run the guild at the end of the questline but they make you the boss anyway because gamers need to feel badass.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
And the only rewards you get for becoming the guildmaster is the ability to get a companion that's just the same as every other loving companion and a lovely artifact that's outclassed by your own ability to smith things.

EDIT: Oh, and I enjoy how stupid the Thieves Guild is in Skyrim. Read this, because it does a way better job than I ever could at mocking that piece of poo poo quest line. http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=14422

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Minarchist posted:

yeah I get all that its why I like the quest, her excuse to protect a guild monopoly is flimsy as gently caress and obvious in context of how she runs the guild hall

Broken Box fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 4, 2014

Dec 26, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

And the only rewards you get for becoming the guildmaster is the ability to get a companion that's just the same as every other loving companion and a lovely artifact that's outclassed by your own ability to smith things.

EDIT: Oh, and I enjoy how stupid the Thieves Guild is in Skyrim. Read this, because it does a way better job than I ever could at mocking that piece of poo poo quest line. http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=14422

i never bothered with thieves guild in skyrim and holy lol

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Broken Box posted:

all except for stoneflower petals gently caress that hope you find it randomly in a sack while stealing everything unless you're a scrub who actually goes out of their way for one

the clothier to the left of nalcarya's in balmora has a stoneflower plant in an easily accessed pot.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

bonus hole boy posted:

the clothier to the left of nalcarya's in balmora has a stoneflower plant in an easily accessed pot.

oh so that one isn't just random then, cool to know

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!

SunAndSpring posted:

Proclick right here. I had vague memories of that questline being alright, but as it turns out I actually just couldn't remember any of it because it was dumb as hell.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

bonus hole boy posted:

One of the merchants in Caldera also has some.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

One of the merchants in Caldera also has some.

If you're going to walk to Caldera you may as well just walk to Kummu and get all of the ingredients.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Mortimer posted:

If you're going to walk to Caldera you may as well just walk to Kummu and get all of the ingredients.

Caldera is easily reachable by Mages Guild teleporting service.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm determined to spend most of this playthrough wandering about Tamriel Rebuilt, but man, content is a little thin on the ground when you don't split it up with trips back to Vvardenfell. Stumbling across all this little towns, weird structures/strongholds and awesome, inventive cities is great, but there's never very much in them, and half the time any guild questlines I find offer like two jobs then get cut short. Maybe I've been playing with mods for so long that Vvardenfell feels more full of content than it is, but I feel like I'm just breezing through and seeing everything there is to see of something that's taken people years to put together, which feels like a bit of a shame.

Exploring and looting caves and tombs and such is still great fun, but it just all feels a bit empty, still waiting to be filled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

SunAndSpring posted:

This was great. I know ~*videogame plot analysis*~ can be pretty :spergin: but the TG in Skyrim is goddamn egregious on its face and this broke it down nicely. I'd played through that drat thing and remembered it was bad but I'd clearly compartmentalized just how bad.

Also this is driving me crazy but someone had posted about how to squeeze a few more frames out of running MGSO in Windows 8 and now I've lost the drat post. I'm getting like ~15 frames in most towns and they'd mentioned there's something about styles settings or something along those lines that'll maybe get a bit of a boost. :shrug:

• Locked thread