Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

cmykjester posted:

I miss updates :(

The constant, addiction-reinforcing flow of updates was probably one of the best parts about Homestuck. During particularly active times I'd find myself reflexively opening a tab to MSPA every time I sat at a computer, and often being rewarded for doing so. It's been a tough habit to kick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
When I saw 48 new posts, I went to MSPA and refreshed before actually clicking the thread here.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

When I saw 48 new posts, I went to MSPA and refreshed before actually clicking the thread here.

loving hell, I don't even remember when the last time I went to MSPA was

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Don't worry, when there's an actual update, the number will be in the hundreds.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This thread will basically be a scorched-earth no-mans-land of wild reactions and nothing else.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I think Homestuck is actually poo poo, you guys.

Blackheart posted:

I think it's pretty good.

Homestuck: actually pretty good poo poo

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Dolash posted:

The constant, addiction-reinforcing flow of updates was probably one of the best parts about Homestuck. During particularly active times I'd find myself reflexively opening a tab to MSPA every time I sat at a computer, and often being rewarded for doing so. It's been a tough habit to kick.

I preferred waiting for months at a time so I could have 100+ new panels to gobble at once. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that I read all of Homestuck in about 7 days of active reading.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

Can't believe I missed 'best sign' chat. Not that it matters, since Sagittarius is the clear winner anyway.

I admit I saw the new batch of posts and assumed there'd actually been a news update at least, though. Homestuck thread, you tease.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Well there was that store link, how can you say no to your very own lil' cal, to put on a chair beside your bed? Watching you as you sleep like a true bro.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tollymain posted:

This thread will basically be a scorched-earth no-mans-land of wild reactions and nothing else.

If by "wild reactions" you mean "complaints about the fact that MSPA/Newgrounds/[some other website] is down and the update is inaccessible," then yeah.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

I think Homestuck is actually poo poo, you guys.

It was alright until Hussie began dragging things out way too long; specially act 5 and onward.

he planned out most of the story in advance, but then he got hung up on trolljunk when people started jumping on board for that. I think even he said if he had the opportunity to make an animated homestuck miniseries, about 90% of the troll stuff would be cut out.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
If %90 of the troll stuff would get cut, then %100 of the post scratch kids poo poo should go too. Nothing of value would be lost.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Seoinin posted:

If %90 of the troll stuff would get cut, then %100 of the post scratch kids poo poo should go too. Nothing of value would be lost.
:what:
Roxy.

The Best Kid.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Burkion posted:

Roxy.

The Best Kid.
Nope, gone.

In fact, lets go full on corporate about this. Post-Scratch kids? Cut. Nepeta, Vriska, Eridan, Tavros, Sollux and Kanaya? Cut. Jade? Cut. The exiles, guardians, midnight crew, and cherubs? Cut. Act 4? Cut.

There, Homestuck is now a viable IP. Woops, look at the time, my golden parachute is about to kick in. Laters. *is yanked upward out of sight as fires spontaneously begin breaking out*

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Really instead of cutting, acts 1-4, act 5, and act 6 could be made into seperate stories instead of one long slog
I like all of them but for completely different reasons, and they don't really follow from each other.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Homestuck, Homestuck Z and Homestuck GT, if you will. *is shot*

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Rita Repulsa posted:

Really instead of cutting, acts 1-4, act 5, and act 6 could be made into seperate stories instead of one long slog
I like all of them but for completely different reasons, and they don't really follow from each other.

The Homestuck Trilogy :allears:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
The only good trolls are the fantrolls, they never talked, their panels are 100% not copy pasted, and perhaps the most important, they died and won't come back.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

The only good trolls are the fantrolls, they never talked, their panels are 100% not copy pasted, and perhaps the most important, they died and won't come back.

Well now you've gone and jinxed it.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Cut Homestuck entirely, make Problem Sleuth 2.

I am only partially joking about this.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

NextTime000 posted:

It was alright until Hussie began dragging things out way too long; specially act 5 and onward.

he planned out most of the story in advance, but then he got hung up on trolljunk when people started jumping on board for that. I think even he said if he had the opportunity to make an animated homestuck miniseries, about 90% of the troll stuff would be cut out.
It would be easy enough to satisfy the troll fans, too. Release Homestuck with only the troll parts where they interact with the kids or are otherwise important to the plot. Release Hivebent as a second series that would expand on what we saw, from Karkat's intro to the meteor murderfest, then end it when Rose and Dave show up on the meteor.

Homestuck stands by itself, Hivebent works to either introduce people to the real story or expand on the trolls.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Rita Repulsa posted:

I've thought this for a long time now. It would need some editing just for that change alone in order to take full advantage of it, but I think it could work pretty well.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I want to read a later revision of whatever Homestuck is the first draft of, but I don't want a fan to be the one to revise it.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Y'all know that Acts 1-4, Act 5, and Act 6 are already designated as Parts 1, 2, and 3 by Hussie himself, right?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Plom Bar posted:

Y'all know that Acts 1-4, Act 5, and Act 6 are already designated as Parts 1, 2, and 3 by Hussie himself, right?

He should have instead done Part 1, Part 1: The Sequel, and Part 1: The Thrilling Conclusion.

And instead of using Parts 2 and 3 for his next project, he could have done MS Paint Adventures: Wizardly Herbert.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I still think Homestuck is pretty great as it is.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Burkion posted:

Roxy.

The Best Kid.

Roxy's in fourth place after Dave, John, and Cyborg Blood Vendor Jane, how do you not understand this

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Seoinin posted:

naw man post-scratch kids were part of the plan all along, being heavily hinted at throughout the first 4 acts and especially in the death scenes of the "parents"; and they probably would have benefited from a greater focus from the story. or not, since I think them being kinda lovely is a neat juxtaposition to how high John and friends held their older counterparts.

Color Printer posted:

Cut Homestuck entirely, make Problem Sleuth 2.

I am only partially joking about this.
also this, though by the time Andrew shut down the suggestion boxes things were a bigger clusterfuck than Twitch Plays Pokemon (please do not discuss this idea)

though I discovered that in our own GBS someone doing something that brings back the spirit of classic MS Paint Adventures (though its closer to Jailbreak than Problem Sleuth)

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 4, 2014

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Barfing Cumlord posted:

This is my opinion. I feel that while discussing what parts of the story sucked or owned is a fine topic considering there's not much going on, talking about cutting any of it just seems silly because all the poo poo that has happened made the story what it is! If there was a part cut out it just wouldn't feel the same to me. Hussie could do with an editor, sure, but I think leaving it alone as a sort of presentation of what worked and what didn't is the best course of action.

In fact, I seem to remember Hussie said the same thing, so that's good.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

NextTime000 posted:

also this, though by the time Andrew shut down the suggestion boxes things were a bigger clusterfuck than Twitch Plays Pokemon (please do not discuss this idea)

though I discovered that in our own GBS someone doing something that brings back the spirit of classic MS Paint Adventures (though its closer to Jailbreak than Problem Sleuth)

Some other decent suggestion driven comics I've been following are Choose Your Comic Adventure, which I haven't seen discussed here, and Kill Six Billion Demons, which gets brought up in the webcomics thread but often isn't mentioned that it's meant to be reader influenced. Both are more traditional, not MSpaint. Does anyone know of any other good ones?

Barfing Cumlord posted:

I wouldn't cut anything either, but it does feel like two or three stories merged together right now. Interesting stories to me anyway.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Barfing Cumlord posted:

Heh. Look at this scrub. Liking things on the internet.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Like if homestuck were a mainstream comic, a lot of things could be put into seperate simultaneous tie-in series. Like Hivebent would be miniseries going on while the main plot continues.

Homestuck's kind've tried to do this. Having a menu where you choose whose arc to read, having stuff go on in the title while the panels tell another story, stuff like that. But the format it's in is really best suited for telling on story at a time imo.

Ultimately good and bad are subjective terms and though there were things that could've been better or worse at this point I'm pretty much watching what calls Hussie makes.

voting third party posted:

I wouldn't cut anything either, but it does feel like two or three stories merged together right now. Interesting stories to me anyway.

Yeah this is kind of what I meant. Act 1-4 is about four kids thrust into the apocalypse by accident and is the most grounded "story". There's even some acknowledgement of other sets of players (Rose's gamefaq and its warnings). I mean, Rose is in peril but not because of some extradimensional near-omnipotent being, but a forest fire.

Act 5 is where all the weird predestination and aliens and ectobiology comes in (if I'm remembering right). It's predestined that these four kids are the only ones that matter and there's too much happening for them to contemplate that everyone's dead, to the point where that might as well not be part of the story. It ends with everyone having to escape from an exploding universe while being pursued by an omnipotent killer.

Act 6 is kind of two more stories. After that peril I just bolded we have an "intermission" about said same kids loving around for three years dating each other, dating ghosts, and watching con-air.

There's also another story about the four new kids having to escape their world, but with a new crazy backstory and new perils.

And then there's some shorter storyline like the midnight crew intermission.

Each of these share characters but... they're so tonally disparate.

I feel like if you renamed all the characters and the title and just added a little bit to say "okay everything starts with this stories beginning and ends with this ending"... you'd have a bunch of stories that stand on their own. The difference between acts 1-4 to acts 5 don't feel like season 1 to season 2 of a TV series or books 1 and 2 of a series of fantasy novels.

They seem more like Super Mario Bros to Super Mario Bros 2. Act 5 was some other story with the characters changed to make it a sequel to acts 1-4. Draw your own nintendo game parallels to the other stories if you feel like stretching the metaphor I guess.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I really don't see how act 5, the troll arc, can be a separate story. It begins with the kids, ends with the kids, and the plot and character development is tied to the kids every step of the way. You need the addition of the post act 5 world to explain what happens with the trolls. You need the beginning acts to lead up to the idea of multiple tied universes and to give contrast to the player groups. Most of the character of the trolls and how they progress through the world is a deliberate foil to the acts 1-4 kid progression. I don't see how you could have part of Homestuck without the rest. There are pace and tone changes, but not different stories. How would the trolls' powergaming and subsequent defeats, both as individuals and as a group, make sense without the context of the kid sessions? We have different sessions with different players, but they all interact, not only from a literal perspective but a literary one.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I don't think Homestuck can be judged as a story until it's finished. Once we see the ending then we'll know which parts were unnecessary and which ones were building up to something bigger. Right now, though, it's impossible to tell.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Hussie should just delay Homestuck for the rest of his life until he dies???

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Stoat posted:

Homestuck will be completed by Brandon Sanderson.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

Rita Repulsa posted:

Act 5 is where all the weird predestination and aliens and ectobiology comes in (if I'm remembering right). It's predestined that these four kids are the only ones that matter and there's too much happening for them to contemplate that everyone's dead, to the point where that might as well not be part of the story. It ends with everyone having to escape from an exploding universe while being pursued by an omnipotent killer.

I think the shift really happened partway through Act 4. The trolls were already important to the story before Hivebent, beta timelines and ectobiology are both introduced in Act 4, the sylladex is irrelevant, and the act does end with John "escaping" from an exploding planet and an incredibly powerful killer. Everything from Jack: Ascend onwards feels like it has more in common with Act 5 in terms of tone and style. It strikes a good balance between the cutesy shenanigans of A1-2 and the surfeit of plots/characters later on.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Stoat posted:

With the way Hussie writes Homestuck and the fact that it's in a hiatus until it's done...this is basically what's actually happening.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

With the way Hussie writes Homestuck and the fact that it's in a hiatus until it's done...this is basically what's actually happening.

You just gotta believe that Act 7 Act 7 Intermission 7 Act 7 will be complete one day. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

When he does the final update it will be 3x as long as the rest of the comic so far.