Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hollismason posted:

That looks really good, but I am cooking for kids and they don't eat tunafish sandwich and it's difficult to get them to eat anything that isn't the most basic food.

I'm wondering if I can't make a weird version of shepherds pie.

http://onehungrymama.com/2013/05/hand-held-dinner-tuna-empanadas-chipotle-tuna-empanadas/
http://www.nibblesandfeasts.com/2013/02/tuna-empanadas/
Same type of recipe, just vary that up - throw cheese in there or whatever else. Kids'll eat dat poo poo up and it's really quick to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That is excellent, and it I can sneak vegetables into it. Definitely will try!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Just reposting this for the new page, since I'm doing the steak in about an hour and would like any responses that may exist:

Bollock Monkey posted:

Is there anything special I need to do with ribeye steaks to make them delicious? I've never cooked a cut with such prominent marbling before, but I have no idea if that actually makes a difference in terms of cooking it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bollock Monkey posted:

Just reposting this for the new page, since I'm doing the steak in about an hour and would like any responses that may exist:

Salt it. Don't overcook it. That's about it.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Bollock Monkey posted:

In advance, salting them 1+hour before cooking is ideal. I like doing it 12 hours before and letting it rest on a rack in the fridge.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

What's a good way to get salt (regular sea salt) to stick to dry almosts/cashews/nuts? I picked up some trail mix to snack on during work and added some extra nuts and dark chocolate to it and while it's good it is really lacking salt. I thought about spraying everything with a little bit of cooking spray then adding salt as needed but I'm worried this will leave everything greasy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

NitroSpazzz posted:

What's a good way to get salt (regular sea salt) to stick to dry almonds/cashews/nuts? I picked up some trail mix to snack on during work and added some extra nuts and dark chocolate to it and while it's good it is really lacking salt. I thought about spraying everything with a little bit of cooking spray then adding salt as needed but I'm worried this will leave everything greasy.

You'd need to powder the salt. Blend it or something to get it as fine as possible; maybe roast the nuts for a bit to draw out their own oils or don't roast it and add like, half a teaspoon of oil to the nuts (or give them a quick rub with a damp papertowel [or hold the nuts in a strainer over a bowl of steaming water and get that steam up into the nuts]) and then shake them with the superfine salt.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 3, 2014

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I just inherited a relatively new (2-3 years old maybe, hardly used) Cuisinart electric pressure cooker. It has the little instruction booklet etc, but other than that I am a complete newbie at this and have not the faintest idea what to do with it. Personally, I have never even used one before.

This seems to be the same model, or at least pretty close... http://smile.amazon.com/Cuisinart-C...and+Matte+Black

I was told it was bought from Costco if that helps any.

Any recommendations on good trusted cookbooks or websites to get info on learning to make the most of it? I did some preliminary searching, but seems a lot of the recipes out there are for the standard stove top one and not electric.

pandariot
Feb 19, 2012

I want to try making broccoli soup, and found this basic recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/1050577/broccoli-spinach-soup-avocado-toasts

However, I don't have any tahini. A google search says peanut butter is a good substitute?

If you have a better recipe for broccoli soup that would be awesome too.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Disco Salmon posted:

I just inherited a relatively new (2-3 years old maybe, hardly used) Cuisinart electric pressure cooker. It has the little instruction booklet etc, but other than that I am a complete newbie at this and have not the faintest idea what to do with it. Personally, I have never even used one before.

This seems to be the same model, or at least pretty close... http://smile.amazon.com/Cuisinart-C...and+Matte+Black

I was told it was bought from Costco if that helps any.

Any recommendations on good trusted cookbooks or websites to get info on learning to make the most of it? I did some preliminary searching, but seems a lot of the recipes out there are for the standard stove top one and not electric.
Check out the pressure cooker thread.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pandariot posted:

I want to try making broccoli soup, and found this basic recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/1050577/broccoli-spinach-soup-avocado-toasts

However, I don't have any tahini. A google search says peanut butter is a good substitute?

If you have a better recipe for broccoli soup that would be awesome too.

This is a basic broccoli soup recipe :smugbert:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

You know...I did a search and must have passed right over it. Thank you for the link!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

GreyPowerVan posted:

Is the GWS wiki ever updated anymore?

I add things when I get time. Is there anything in particular you'd like to see there?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Check out the vegan thread here, it's specifically directed towards non-meat-replacement dishes. See also Dino's book/blog.

It's a wiki, you can see as well as anyone else by hitting the "Recent Changes" link.

I was wondering more if someone updated the front page occasionally, which i figured was specific people only.

Drimble Wedge posted:

I add things when I get time. Is there anything in particular you'd like to see there?

No no, I'll probably get around to adding a recipe or two when I think they're finished enough.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

That is actually a really great soup. I eat it pretty frequently.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Aramoro posted:

That is actually a really great soup. I eat it pretty frequently.

Oh yeah. I DID link it because it's something I like. It's really super loving simple, and since I love broccoli I think it, as it is, is delicious. Having a little strong cheese melt in it is a nice plus, as well. Having a broccoli/french onion soup hybrid is also delicious as gently caress.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Stock made from wings alone is very delicious and tastes more robust and ...chicken-y? Definitely worth trying.
I have heard the holy grail for chicken stock is chicken feet. Anyone actually tried this? I haven't yet because the only place you can get them is the Asian market and they are marked up accordingly.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

I have heard the holy grail for chicken stock is chicken feet. Anyone actually tried this? I haven't yet because the only place you can get them is the Asian market and they are marked up accordingly.

Marked up? Everything at the Asian market is cheap.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Marked up? Everything at the Asian market is cheap.

Depends on where you live. The big one here is just as expensive as any other grocery store for meat.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FishBulb posted:

Depends on where you live. The big one here is just as expensive as any other grocery store for meat.

Yep. Not worth going over to it for me for most meat except the fish counter which owns.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

At my Asian market I buy a whole basket full of stuff and the bill is always like eight dollars.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

It really, really depends here. Short rib is crazy expensive at the asian market, but you can buy a whole pig leg or a bunch of stewing hens or most fish for dirt cheap.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah fish prices are good, short ribs, duck, chicken wings aren't cheaper. They are slightly cheaper on pork belly but that's because none of the white people grocery stores even sell it so you have to go to a fancier place.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

asian markets here are generally pretty cheap though as mentioned some specialty items can be pricey. Oxtails are generally better priced at asian markets than other markets, typically 3.99/lb which is still hilariously expensive compared to what I used to be able to get them for before this whole "foodie" movement started. Vegetables are my favorite things to get at asian markets. gailan, bok choy, choy sum, garlic chives, nappa, etc, are typically $0.39/lb and are super awesome. Ginger is like 0.99 for a 1 lb bag.

Anyway to answer original question, chicken feet owns in stock. It adds a ton of gelatin to the stock and at least here, is super cheap, usually about $0.69/lb

pandariot
Feb 19, 2012

I actually made this instead and it was really loving good, so thanks!

The only goat cheese I had on hand was from my CSA and was flavored with lemon and lavender. It was way too sweet to add to the soup. I tried parmesan instead, which was a bad call.

And how did I not realize before that the best way to cut broccoli is with the head down and stalk up? It's so obvious now.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
How else would it be cut?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Drifter posted:

How else would it be cut?

Chop off all the florets from the main stem in one cut, chop florets, discard stem.

Not saying it's right/good/practical, just something I could see people doing.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

discard stem.

:negative:

the stem is the best part!!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What do you guys put on your roasted broccoli? I've been doing cumin, lemon juice, red pepper flake, s&p, olive oil, and a little cayenne. The sprinkle on parm after I take it out of the oven. But I'm ready for a change.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

What do you guys put on your roasted broccoli? I've been doing cumin, lemon juice, red pepper flake, s&p, olive oil, and a little cayenne. The sprinkle on parm after I take it out of the oven. But I'm ready for a change.

I like it tossed in browned butter with some grated hard cheese like parm or mizythra.

Also great with some soy, sesame oil, and togarashi.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just mixed honey with garlic / parsley salt and used it as a sauce for some pan fried porkchops and it tasted really good but it was kind of chewy. Is there a way to make it more tender and less rubbery?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

I just mixed honey with garlic / parsley salt and used it as a sauce for some pan fried porkchops and it tasted really good but it was kind of chewy. Is there a way to make it more tender and less rubbery?

Cook it less. Internal temp of 145. I'm guessing yours got up to 160 or more.

edit: They should be a little pink inside. This is OK. Even the FDA has come around on this one.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cook it less. Internal temp of 145. I'm guessing yours got up to 160 or more.

Couldn't have been, it was still a bit pink around the bone

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Did you temp them when you pulled them?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

temping around the bone is pretty error prone. The bone messes with the heat conduction through the meat which is why they say when using a thermometer to avoid touching the bone. I wouldn't use pink near the bone as an indication of the temperature of the rest of the meat. And 145 F is still pink fwiw.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Did you temp them when you pulled them?

GrAviTy84 posted:

temping around the bone is pretty error prone. The bone messes with the heat conduction through the meat which is why they say when using a thermometer to avoid touching the bone. I wouldn't use pink near the bone as an indication of the temperature of the rest of the meat. And 145 F is still pink fwiw.

Oh, poo poo, ok.

I don't have a thermometer, so I just kind of eyeballed it. The cuts are a bit on the thin side though, so I don't think I could have temped them even if I wanted too.

I think I'm going to try again tonight with less heat and a shorter cook time.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Oh, poo poo, ok.

I don't have a thermometer, so I just kind of eyeballed it. The cuts are a bit on the thin side though, so I don't think I could have temped them even if I wanted too.

I think I'm going to try again tonight with less heat and a shorter cook time.

In that case, buy thicker cuts. Thin pork chops are really hard to cook well properly.

Edit: And get a thermometer.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

In that case, buy thicker cuts. Thin pork chops are really hard to cook well properly.

Perfect for Milanesa, though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Olive oil, cayenne, paprika, salt, pepper, (I get that this is a boring array) and minced garlic. If the minced garlic is partially embedded in the florets it gets to a nice level of browning at the same time the broccoli is done; doesn't work as well on the stem pieces, can easily burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Perfect for Milanesa, though.

he can remove the bone and pound it out and schnitzel, scallopini, and tonkatsu, too. nom.