Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Das Volk posted:

I've been meaning to attach my GoPro to the boot lid and get the exhaust nice and hot to see what happens. There's lots of popping and grumbling on overrun and such with the exhaust modified, and while I assume it's too long to ignite I'm sure it's worth checking to make sure ;)

If you do that please get a good microphone. GoPros have the worst mics ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

What tires does the FR-S come with? Some sort of summer tire right? I just saw a moron in an FR-S at Stevens pass who was proper hosed trying to drive/get pushed at the end of a day of skiing during which 8 inches of fresh snow fell on the already snow-covered parking lot, and it was continuing to snow heavily. And the highway was snow covered for like 15-20 miles coming down the mountain.

It just had to be on summer tires because he had zero traction even on pretty evenly packed snow. I also drive a RWD coupe in the snow, but with Blizzaks so it is totally capable. But even all-seasons wouldn't have been this worthless.

I wonder what happened to that dumb guy.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Guinness posted:

What tires does the FR-S come with? Some sort of summer tire right? I just saw a moron in an FR-S at Stevens pass who was proper hosed trying to drive/get pushed at the end of a day of skiing during which 8 inches of fresh snow fell on the already snow-covered parking lot, and it was continuing to snow heavily. And the highway was snow covered for like 15-20 miles coming down the mountain.

It just had to be on summer tires because he had zero traction even on pretty evenly packed snow. I also drive a RWD coupe in the snow, but with Blizzaks so it is totally capable. But even all-seasons wouldn't have been this worthless.

I wonder what happened to that dumb guy.

Prius 'performance' tires.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

MetaJew posted:

Prius 'performance' tires.

This gets trotted out a lot and while accurate, it's still a bit disingenuous. For one thing, there are two stock tire options depending on region and time of year for the sale. If you live somewhere that has winter and buy your car during or near winter you get some lovely Bridgestone all seasons. Otherwise you get Michelin primacy hp tires, the same tires that are fitted to a Prius "performance" trim only available in Japan. Also oem merc s class tires.

So while technically accurate, people saying "Prius tires" aren't telling the whole story.

Mine has blizzaks on during the winter and the only snow and ice problem is ground clearance. When I bought the car it came with the Bridgestone all seasons but I replaced them with Michelin pilot super sports. They would be absolutely useless in the snow.

Just to be clear, not calling you out or anything, just being a know it all.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 3, 2014

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
Edit: I'm an idiot today.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Holdbrooks posted:

nice! almost as good as this one

What always makes me angry at this one is that they spent all that time and money on the stupid neon and deck lid, but have a lovely off the shelf speaker box.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Someone in IRC was linking YouTube vids of Houston parades, and there would be dozens of cars in a row, all swanging, all matching (usually candycoat) colors, all with different odd slogans either in neon or etched mirror on the underside of their open trunks

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This might qualify as awesome instead of terrible but since the story was first discussed here, I'll add it. First vette got pulled out of the sinkhole today. Once it got its tires on solid ground again the first thing they did was fire it up and drive it out of the room. :downs:

http://www.vetteweb.com/hotnews/1403_blue_devil_zr1_corvette_emerges_from_ncm_sinkhole/

I would have opted for towing it to a garage for a full inspection but I guess I'm not redneck enough.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Negromancer posted:

You can't leave out the best one

If this had been a mod that turns these into PROJECTOR headlights then I could probably forgive a lot about this car...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

88h88 posted:

If this had been a mod that turns these into PROJECTOR headlights then I could probably forgive a lot about this car...
:golfclap:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

88h88 posted:

Holy poo poo. Pull up to a wall and you'd have your very own drive in theater. :allears:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Holy poo poo. Pull up to a wall and you'd have your very own drive in theater. :allears:
Who needs a wall when you have a DeLorean?

http://www.deloreanmacmini.com/Welcome.html

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This has been for sale here for at least 6 months. "appraised at $50,000", they've dropped from 50k to 20k since. The ad says "Note, the cab is very small and not suited to anyone over 5.6 (builder was a small guy)".

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

xzzy posted:

This might qualify as awesome instead of terrible but since the story was first discussed here, I'll add it. First vette got pulled out of the sinkhole today. Once it got its tires on solid ground again the first thing they did was fire it up and drive it out of the room. :downs:

http://www.vetteweb.com/hotnews/1403_blue_devil_zr1_corvette_emerges_from_ncm_sinkhole/

I would have opted for towing it to a garage for a full inspection but I guess I'm not redneck enough.

I'm more shocked that museum pieces were sitting with fuel in the tank and a (somewhat) charged battery. :stare:

I would have at least let it sit for an hour or so to let all the fluids make their way back to where they're supposed to be, but as long as there's no risk of hydrolock or oil starvation, it's not going to hurt anything by starting it up after being pulled out.

e: just noticed it had a jump pack connected, but still surprised that it was parked in a museum with a tank of gas in it..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 4, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
This is Kentucky. There's probably a radar detector plugged-in.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

You cannot be serious. Right? I mean, that's stretched out, right?

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Not really. Thankfully it's only a concept.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

dubzee posted:

Not really. Thankfully it's only a concept.

I didn't think it was possible to out-ugly the Infiniti FX series, but Lexus did it.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Can't unsee.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gonna need a big rear end piece of cardboard to cover that grill up in the winter!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

xzzy posted:

Gonna need a big rear end piece of cardboard to cover that grill up in the winter!

If it's anything like the new gaping-maw Mazdas over half of it will be solid plastic with texturing anyway.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

xzzy posted:

Gonna need a big rear end piece of cardboard to cover that grill up in the winter forever!

drat, that thing is ugly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Oh FFS, Lexus, enough already.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Lexus: Angriest looking cars since 2014.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"But I don't have a wiscense to shoot a fwicaseeing wabbit!"

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Wait this is a legit rendering from Lexus?

AHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

The new Lexus Stormtrooper/Cylon Helmet: Sponsored by Nike.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Chinatown posted:

Wait this is a legit rendering from Lexus?

AHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Yea I figured it was just someone that stretched the front of a car... If it's an actual thing from Lexus, I have no idea what to think.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
They actually managed to make an uglier car than the Audi fishmouths?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm not sure if I'm helping..

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Finally, somebody out-uglied the aztek

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
The best part about that Lexus is that at some point some designer put his pen down on the table and said "Yeah. That looks awesome. People will definitely want to buy it!"

The same goes for that pink piece of garbage above, but replace "designer" with "custom car builder"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The ugly doesn't even stop with that grille, if you look at the other angles it's hideous all over. The taillight sculpting even extends to the gas cap, creating a random seam in the plastic.. it just seems like bad ideas on top of bad ideas.

I really can't find anything positive to say about anything on that car. I guess putting an LCD screen in the overhead center console is a cool gimmick?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'm no fan of the current Lex design language, but concept renders almost always look like rear end. Don't be fooled by the fact that now they come realistically computer generated instead of being clays or pencil sketches, they're still intended to be over-the-top cartoons.

(Lexus please don't build that)

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
It screams "Corporate Identity" which is all they care about anyway. Not that is has a giant plastic gob. But soccer moms will buy em because Lexus.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm no fan of the current Lex design language, but concept renders almost always look like rear end. Don't be fooled by the fact that now they come realistically computer generated instead of being clays or pencil sketches, they're still intended to be over-the-top cartoons.

(Lexus please don't build that)

They built at least one. :ssh:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1086859_lexus-lf-nx-concept-live-photos-2013-frankfurt-auto-show

Their website lists it as "coming soon" as well, though given how the automobile industry loves to abuse words that could mean literally anything.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

xzzy posted:

The ugly doesn't even stop with that grille, if you look at the other angles it's hideous all over. The taillight sculpting even extends to the gas cap, creating a random seam in the plastic.. it just seems like bad ideas on top of bad ideas.

I really can't find anything positive to say about anything on that car. I guess putting an LCD screen in the overhead center console is a cool gimmick?

Oh god i didn't even look at the other images. What the hell kind of meth was that design team on? It seriously doesn't look good from any angle. Even the interior looks like something a 17 year-old would slap together just so he could say he had a custom interior.

I should use it in a presentation on ethics of engineering, something about crimes against humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

That Lexus looks like there's a smaller thinner Lexus suffocating underneath all those angry angles and fat. I'm not a fan of the new gaping maw Lexuses and this is definitely a step in the wrong direction.

I'm pretty sure their current design language will age terribly.