Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Hey guys, GG AC+R was just released on American PS3! Go grab the game that no one is paying attention to because Xrd is out in arcades! :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
So I have a local coffee shop that runs game tournaments weekly. Sometimes it's AE, Marvel, Tekken, Smash, Halo, Mario Kart, whatever. Last week they decided to do Killer Instinct.

I didn't go, but I checked out the facebook page and say a guy post "I was the only one who showed up, so I win!"

Oh... KI.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Wow, 360 patches had a 4 MB limit? How does that work? Most PS3 patches seem easily into the 150 MB range.

I just reinstalled my American GGXXAC+R after finally getting the Japanese version in September when the US patch was nowhere in sight, nice to have everything in English again (most was anyway). I am garbage (the guy I play with IRL knows everyone and usually beats me 40-0 over a few hours), but I'm starting with Potemkin and trying to get better.

Electromaximus on the PSN, I'm in central IL. I would like to practice online since we only get together every couple weeks but I've never found anyone on there not from Japan or Australia with lag so bad I have trouble navigating my character select cursor. If anyone in the Midwest feels like some player matches sometime where you get to feel good about winning a whole lot in a row, add me!

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Does anyone else find the online modes in Soulcal V to be underwhelming? My brother practiced Astaroth for weeks and still got beaten by players spamming the same moves over and over, combined with input lag that made supers and moves come out late (or not at all).

Plus the online interface is just shoddy, matches drop constantly, everyone seems to have 3 bars or less...

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Excels posted:

Does anyone else find the online modes in Soulcal V to be underwhelming? My brother practiced Astaroth for weeks and still got beaten by players spamming the same moves over and over, combined with input lag that made supers and moves come out late (or not at all).

Plus the online interface is just shoddy, matches drop constantly, everyone seems to have 3 bars or less...

But you see, their multiplayer implementation uses more bandwidth than other fighters so it must be good! This somehow also prevents them from using rollback netcode for some reason that is definitely not "gently caress you for not living right next to each other/not being Japanese".

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I remember when sc5 came out everyone was talking about how good the online was? Or at least decent.

edit But hey how are you supposed to beat people spamming one move if youre on even a bit of lag, should be outlawed.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

dangerdoom volvo posted:

I remember when sc5 came out everyone was talking about how good the online was? Or at least decent.

edit But hey how are you supposed to beat people spamming one move if youre on even a bit of lag, should be outlawed.

I remember when SC5 came out telling people that the netcode was actually terrible but they didn't notice it because the game's mechanically slow enough to cover it up.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Whatever works.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

dangerdoom volvo posted:

The absolute worst was one Natsu player who did one specific leaping spin move repeatedly, to keep knocking you back toward the edge of the stage, at which point they would use a grab that flips both of you off the edge (but always kills you first). It was like the DK suicide grab in Smash except it was an automatic win.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Sounds unbeatable.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The real problem with SC5 is that it's worse than SC2.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

sonictempest posted:

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that ASW's compression isn't the greatest. I wonder if that had any bearing on this?

It was me! Alas I suspect I am irrelevant in this case, as I was talking about sprites while I suspect the amount of voices is more of a factor. But to give an indication CP is about 7.7 gb in size, which means it could fit on a double layer DVD. That seems feasible for 360 so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's hard to do better than Link or Spawn as guest characters. We'll probably never see anything that novel again.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Chev posted:

It was me! Alas I suspect I am irrelevant in this case, as I was talking about sprites while I suspect the amount of voices is more of a factor. But to give an indication CP is about 7.7 gb in size, which means it could fit on a double layer DVD. That seems feasible for 360 so I'm not sure what the problem is.

360 disc capacity is less than 7GB due to copy protection and other crap that they have to put on there.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Excels posted:

It's hard to do better than Link or Spawn as guest characters. We'll probably never see anything that novel again.

Heihachi :getin:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

They added Devil Jin's moveset to SCV and that's pretty much the same thing. Also Tekken cameos are in every loving game ever.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Excels posted:

They added Devil Jin's moveset to SCV and that's pretty much the same thing. Also Tekken cameos are in every loving game ever.

I was more referring to the fact that SC2 Heihachi was the most overpowered bullshit thing ever and it was hilarious punching my friends to death with 10-hit combos in the weapon fight game.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I was more referring to the fact that SC2 Heihachi was the most overpowered bullshit thing ever and it was hilarious punching my friends to death with 10-hit combos in the weapon fight game.

I remember Spawn had an axe-throw that could be charged, could hit you from pretty much the other end of the map, and I think fully-charged it was unblockable.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Mechafunkzilla posted:

As far as bullshit goes SC2 link was the goddamned ring out king. He seriously had a move for every possible situation and position that would cause a ring out if the opponent was anywhere near an edge.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Chev posted:

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

360 disc capacity is less than 7GB due to copy protection and other crap that they have to put on there.

Notably, 360 games have to be presented in Microsoft's particular format for encryption, memory management, security, and OS purposes (for things like automatically allowing custom soundtracks and so on). If you take advantage of the firmware, you get a number of performance perks that equal the PS3's hardware advantage (as seen with MT Frameworks fighters that have framerate issues on PS3). If you don't plan for it in advance, you end up being stonewalled by some of the weirder effects at hand (like how 360 Skullgirls loading times are gigantic because the files have to go through an extra decryption stage).

Based off what I know about ASW and development for both platforms, I'm going to immediately assume that BBCP could come out on 360 if ASW had competent programmers and gave a poo poo about the platform.

Ryoga posted:

As far as bullshit goes SC2 link was the goddamned ring out king. He seriously had a move for every possible situation and position that would cause a ring out if the opponent was anywhere near an edge.

The best was Ivy, because 66[K] was a launcher that put you into Serpent's Embrace, and from that stance 6B+K would push airborne opponents to the maximum distance of the move before doing any knockback. It was possible to ring opponents out from the other edge of the stage. If I hit an opponent with it, I'd joke, "Found the edge of the map!" because it wasn't uncommon to see the opponent's body collide with an invisible wall from being sent so far.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 4, 2014

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The whole Calibur series is inferior to Soul Blade, really.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Thanks for the 360 disc info. So the conclusion is in its present state ASW's stance regarding CP on 360 is plausible, though I'm sure if they were willing to go the extra length they could compress that data and make it fit, since they're not exceeding the limit by that much.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

So I started playing BlazBlue: CP reciently. Tager might be the funnest fighting game character I've ever played and turned me on to T-Hawk in SF4.

Nothing will ever beat a 1080 Spinning Pile Driver from orbit

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Barudak posted:

There is no size limit for Xbox games anymore but I don't think its exactly crazy to say doing a digital only release on the 360 of the third entry of a niche anime fighter might not be the best business decision.

Actually this sounds ideal for BBCP.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Actually this sounds ideal for BBCP.

Yeah I typed that out and am so totally wrong. Also; release Xrd on it you jacknapes.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Soulcleaver posted:

Edge of Soul was too good for this world :smith:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Lessail posted:

Edge of Soul was too good for this world :smith:

A tale of souls and swords, eternally retold. It'll carry on, it's what I believed in from the very start.

Soulcleaver posted:

Soul Blade is like really clunky in that same way that all early 3D fighters are clunky, I can't even remembered how we played these games at the time, much less how to play them now.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

A tale of souls and swords, eternally retold. It'll carry on, it's what I believed in from the very start.

Soul Blade is like really clunky in that same way that all early 3D fighters are clunky, I can't even remembered how we played these games at the time, much less how to play them now.

At least it's not Toshinden.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

LvK posted:

At least it's not Masters of the Teras Kasi

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Ryoga posted:

And yet all of that pales compared to 1.01 and 1.02 arcade, where Taki started the round by giving you the option of taking 50% or getting ringed out, and Cassandra's 236B comboed into itself with infinite spin stun.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

LvK posted:

At least it's not War Gods.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

vibratingsheep posted:

And yet all of that pales compared to 1.01 and 1.02 arcade, where Taki started the round by giving you the option of taking 50% or getting ringed out, and Cassandra's 236B comboed into itself with infinite spin stun.

What was the Taki poo poo? I don't remember that.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

LvK posted:

At least it's not Ballz

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
If we're going to one-up each other in lovely fighting games, can we just go straight to Dino Rex and get it over with

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

LvK posted:

Too bad it's not Mace

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

RETRACT, man. Retract.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

vibratingsheep posted:

Hey guys, GG AC+R was just released on American PS3! Go grab the game that no one is paying attention to because Xrd is out in arcades! :thumbsup:

If I was gonna grab this, after never playing any other Guilty Gears before, what should I know going in? I'm just using it to prepare for Xrd honestly, since it looks awesome.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Klaige's instant-air-dash tv series is a good primer.
http://youtu.be/fbcHwCuZr4E

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

If I was gonna grab this, after never playing any other Guilty Gears before, what should I know going in? I'm just using it to prepare for Xrd honestly, since it looks awesome.
Venom is the best character and playing him makes you a hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Endorph posted:

Venom Chipp is the best character and playing him makes you a hero THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.

• Locked thread