Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

jerichojx posted:

Can anyone instruct me in noob terms what is a walk-in? I see that some of you guys have done it and one run gets you 3000 MoTs!

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Short version: a "walk-in" is when people premake a raid and then use one of the Watchtower/Hall of Doom teleporters to enter it with people below the CR lock. (At least one person has to be able to enter it normally, but then everyone else can piggyback in.) It's a mixed bag because everyone gets the marks at each checkpoint, but the below-CR people get no loot drops whatsoever, only marks, and none of the people AT-level get the monthly bonus at the end while getting locked for the week on each boss.

Gates is a T4 raid that's kiiiinda easy to do this with because a lot of it comes down to "are your healers and tank good at their jobs" and it's not straight combat for the most part.

You can't do walk-ins on anything without an HQ-based teleporter, so the Green Lantern stuff is out because of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Do controllers ever get gear at max level that isn't lovely? I don't mean lovely as in bad stats per say, but so far every piece of t1 gear I have gotten has made me more and more lovely running solo instances because it has no damage stats on it at all. That's fun for a group and all but it makes me absolute poo poo at solo because at least tanks and healers get boosted defensively with stronger healing and tanking gear, I more dom and vit doesn't really do poo poo for you solo, as light anyhow. Plus CC immunity being up half the time or better soloing means that huge part of their kit is also really diminished.

On a related note, between fire and ice which is better if you are relying on potentially awful random healers? I see fire has a self heal but is it enough to make up the difference in defense?.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Bruc posted:

Do controllers ever get gear at max level that isn't lovely? I don't mean lovely as in bad stats per say, but so far every piece of t1 gear I have gotten has made me more and more lovely running solo instances because it has no damage stats on it at all. That's fun for a group and all but it makes me absolute poo poo at solo because at least tanks and healers get boosted defensively with stronger healing and tanking gear, I more dom and vit doesn't really do poo poo for you solo, as light anyhow. Plus CC immunity being up half the time or better soloing means that huge part of their kit is also really diminished.

The only difference (for Controllers) is that role gear will have less Might and Precision in order to cram some/more Dominance and Vitalization on it.

Vitalization is really lovely at low tiers (14 Vit = 1% more to your PoT and dumps; for reference the base PoT is 70 every 5 seconds IIRC) and Dominance is almost useless except for having 'enough' to reach the breakpoint for whatever tier content you are doing. It takes 500 Dom to get 1 more second of CC on a mob (assuming they don't just break out).

I'm coming to the conclusion that you should just go "gently caress it" and get DPS gear, then mod for Vit and Dom - at least until you're in t5 and might actually need to focus on those stats.

Hell, I'm going to do this with my babby healer villain. DPS gear with Resto mods. Because gently caress if I am going to cripple myself in duos and challenges just because I'm supposed to be a healer.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
What's the benefit for the person doing the piggy-backing then?

Are walk-ins fairly common?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

jerichojx posted:

What's the benefit for the person doing the piggy-backing then?

Are walk-ins fairly common?

In order: none (in fact it's usually harder for them since they have to pull more weight/straight up get loot-locked doing it) and kinda? If you have a league of sufficient size it's probably possible, but I've seen public ones arranged in LFG. You're just in crapshoot territory doing it that way, I know some people utterly hate helping someone with a walk-in and will bolt at the first sign of it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

... So is Sorcery healing as easy as it seems to me?

I got into two villain alerts tonight, first we did Oolong and then we did Gorilla Island. And unless people wandered off away from my location-based heals nobody ever dropped below half health. It is ridiculous what stacking Circle of Destiny, Soul Well, Boon of Souls and Watcher (plus Rejuvenate because why the gently caress not) seems to handle.

I even had Transcendence on my bar for a supercharge but never had to use it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'd put Sorcery down as the easiest healing (of the ones I've tried: I will fully admit that I haven't made any alts with DLC powers beyond Light/Electric) just because the mass of your powers give a big visual cue that goes "HEALING OCCURS HERE". If you are not getting healed, it's not the healer's fault most of the time because you wandered the gently caress away.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

oh dear.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
This week's Friday Night Legends hinted either at the ability to get Pre-order Batman again or the idea of future Legends skins (either way it's nice).

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I did a walk in Prime yesterday at CR 96 and received the monthly award, so I think they changed that.

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

Downloaded this to mess around casually. How strict are they on naming?

I made an anti-Batman named Crimecock: dual-weild and gadgets:

RUM HAM fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 4, 2014

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Well, perhaps it's my fault for not staying properly informed, but it seems my high level characters from launch and the green lantern dlc I bought are gone forever because of this account migration bullshit in the EU. Sure would have been nice if SOE or Prosieben had given me a straight answer when I tried to find out what was up in December 2012, serves me right for taking a break from the game I guess!

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Davoren posted:

Well, perhaps it's my fault for not staying properly informed, but it seems my high level characters from launch and the green lantern dlc I bought are gone forever because of this account migration bullshit in the EU. Sure would have been nice if SOE or Prosieben had given me a straight answer when I tried to find out what was up in December 2012, serves me right for taking a break from the game I guess!

Hmm unsure if they deleted people, it was just migrating accounts to their own (poo poo) website and launcher and terrible tech support. I think their launcher defaults to EU servers, so you could switch it in launcher setting to US server and see if they show up. You might have to activate your account with them first... can't really remember since it was ages ago when I did it.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

It's okay, once I stopped raging like an idiot I found I'd migrated my poo poo to an email I never use for some reason! Looks like my main is in Goon Patrol, do we still use that?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How does this game compare to Marvel Heroes?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I like them both! This game is good if you want to be a bit more hands on with your character than just clicking a mouse, and you like to spend hours playing pretty pretty dress up.

My character from way back before the server merge was called 'Hayley Comet', only now it's got '_BNW' added to the end, looks like they gave her a rename token, anyone got any ideas for a good replacement name for a superspeed fire tank?

Davoren fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 4, 2014

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Davoren posted:

I like them both! This game is good if you want to be a bit more hands on with your character than just clicking a mouse, and you like to spend hours playing pretty pretty dress up.

My character from way back before the server merge was called 'Hayley Comet', only now it's got '_BNW' added to the end, looks like they gave her a rename token, anyone got any ideas for a good replacement name for a superspeed fire tank?

Mexican Food.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Here's a dumb question, how do I join the ingame chat channel. I forgot... :ohdear:

Edit: Oh hey try reading the second post.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 5, 2014

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Oh god goons save me please. I'm a level 30 villain Gadget Controller and I can't take much more of this DPS/DPS/DPS/Me poo poo when I queue for groups.

Name's KobraKmndr because I'm a douche. I'll be in the channel.

On PS4

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 5, 2014

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

TheHoosier posted:

Oh god goons save me please. I'm a level 30 villain Gadget Controller and I can't take much more of this DPS/DPS/DPS/Me poo poo when I queue for groups.

Name's KobraKmndr because I'm a douche. I'll be in the channel.

On PS4

Hey, I am also a villian Gadgets Controller on PS4. The name is Maggot Fist. I'm only around level 15 though.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
So I played this game at launch, and thought it was pretty good, but needed a lot of work. I'm getting the MMO itch again, so I thought I'd ask: How much better is this game since launch? How has it improved? Have I screwed myself in making a Martial Arts/Light character because I wanted to make Johnny Cage from Mortal Kombat?

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

At launch if you did all 6 solo challenges and then did the toyman missions you got enough Marks of Allegiance to convert into one Mark of Triumph. These days the re-playable story sidequests (bribe Gotham police rookies etc) give you 1 MoT.

The game updates tend to be monthly with 3x DLC a year and a lot more communication from the devs. No more Valentine's Day content in March which is frustrating and borderline unplayable. They tend to fix things quite quickly in most cases, the sweepshot glitch (which made all content a joke) wouldn't have lasted 2 months with the current dev team.

Official forums are still as terrible as they were at launch though.

Giedroyc fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 5, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Giedroyc posted:

Official forums are still as terrible as they were at launch though.

Forums are currently burning down around whine posts that weapon damage is being normalized (dual weild charged throw won't outdamage every other weapon for example) and the (not going to happen for a couple months) animation/clipping pass thing.

Basically gently caress the forums.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Welp this game refuses to launch for me, so I guess I'm not trying it.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Trying a HL dps hero since most of you clowns are heroes. Haven't seen anybody in the chat channel for a few days though. :ohdear:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

whatspeakyou posted:

Trying a HL dps hero since most of you clowns are heroes. Haven't seen anybody in the chat channel for a few days though. :ohdear:

I got sucked into the Shadowrun Returns expansion. :ohdear:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I'm at sxsw away from my desktop and so have been playing on my laptop (in my free time) and find it awkward to chat and use a 360 controller instead of kb&m. I'll say something next time I'm on though.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
New job, schedule is insane and unpredictable. I think I've been on once in the past week, too exhausted to play most nights.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I have to emphasize that this game is very friendly towards people who don't want to spend money.

So is this still mostly true? Every time I get the itch to try out a new MMO this one always peaks my interest for a little since hey, I like DC comics, why wouldn't I like a DC MMO. Then I go to the Steam page and see 9 different expansions that all cost $10 and it puts me off every time. I think I'm finally gonna give it a try this time either way, but dang.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 9, 2014

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The game is very friendly to free-to-play players as mostly you just miss out on an unlimited bank supply and lockboxes. It's not exceptionally friendly to new players though, as you aren't told practically anything relevant.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Yardbomb posted:

So is this still mostly true? Every time I get the itch to try out a new MMO this one always peaks my interest for a little since hey, I like DC comics, why wouldn't I like a DC MMO. Then I go to the Steam page and see 9 different expansions that all cost $10 and it puts me off every time. I think I'm finally gonna give it a try this time either way, but dang.

Yeah. There are a couple of very minor annoyances, but overall DCUO has the most generous F2P scheme I've ever seen from an MMO. For being a free player you're basically limited to a couple character slots and how much money you're allowed to carry. You also don't have access to the DLC content, but the vast majority of that is after the level cap.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

ArchRanger posted:

Yeah. There are a couple of very minor annoyances, but overall DCUO has the most generous F2P scheme I've ever seen from an MMO. For being a free player you're basically limited to a couple character slots and how much money you're allowed to carry. You also don't have access to the DLC content, but the vast majority of that is after the level cap.

Planetside 2 is even more friendly to free players. SOE is doing a lot of things right lately.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DCUO doesn't seem all that restrictive to new players, but once you've subscribed Free mode feels like it's missing a bunch.

I guess that's the ideal setup though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

mastajake posted:

The game is very friendly to free-to-play players as mostly you just miss out on an unlimited bank supply and lockboxes. It's not exceptionally friendly to new players though, as you aren't told practically anything relevant.

These days on free mode you are missing a few power sets and the majority of the late game. That's OK though, because you feel like you are not getting what you want out of the game after you hit 30 and do that content a little, you should know that your opinion is unlikely to improve if you spend money.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
On a whim I decided to try this out again. Played back at release with goons as a Brawling Ice Tank (Salient). Stopped playing around when the Toyman? daily area or whatever came out. Last raid I remember smacking our heads on was the Batcave Outer Caverns.

Not sure if I wanna dive right back in to a level 30 when I recall squat about the game or start from the ground up (Wouldn't know what power/weapon set I'd want to do at the moment.)

Any thoughts?

Bruc
May 30, 2006
I just started the game a few weeks ago and am playing a brawling ice tank myself and honestly, if you liked that class I would just go back to it. Tanking in this game seems laughably easy, at least on the tier 1 stuff so far, since you can practically just cast bitter winds and run around for a few seconds and have everything glued to you. It might take you a few solo t1 missions to get a feel for it again but ice tanks seem very easy to play.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ice tanks are widely considered the easy-mode tanks but I don't know where earth tanks (or any further tank powersets I'm forgetting) figure in.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

MisterFuzzles posted:

On a whim I decided to try this out again. Played back at release with goons as a Brawling Ice Tank (Salient). Stopped playing around when the Toyman? daily area or whatever came out. Last raid I remember smacking our heads on was the Batcave Outer Caverns.

Not sure if I wanna dive right back in to a level 30 when I recall squat about the game or start from the ground up (Wouldn't know what power/weapon set I'd want to do at the moment.)

Any thoughts?

I'd say start from level 1, but if your level 30 is still around and had a bunch of feats, use replay badges to give your level 1 as many of those as possible. That way you don't have to grind as much poo poo at 30 and can still get the leveling experience so you can re-learn everything.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Sorry for how blurry this is but meet the new face of Gotham street justice:

I am the muthafuckin Law.

Gadget Hero. Someone get on the ps4/ps3 chat channel damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

mastajake posted:

It's not exceptionally friendly to new players though, as you aren't told practically anything relevant.

I'm learning this the hard way. I signed up recently (hi!) at the whims of a friend and one thing that's really grating on me is the complete lack of feedback about what everything does or how it's working.

I've been fiddling with a Mental/Pistols hero and two of the powers (Menace and Grandeur) are supposed to terrify and awe my enemies respectively, but I activate them and...nothing seems to happen.
Huh.
I'm sure there's stuff going on behind the scenes that's giving reduced damage or whatever, but I really did not notice any difference between fights where I used both, fights where I used one after the other, and fights where I didn't use any at all.

At least with my Ice/Rifle villain I can pretty clearly see what's going on. Cold Snap damages them right away and continues to damage them. Yay!

• Locked thread