Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Oh, poo poo, ok.

I don't have a thermometer, so I just kind of eyeballed it. The cuts are a bit on the thin side though, so I don't think I could have temped them even if I wanted too.

I think I'm going to try again tonight with less heat and a shorter cook time.

I do agree that you should try to buy thicker cuts, but if you've got thin cuts to use up and / or know that thin pork chops tend to be nice and cheap and are loath to buy the more expensive ones, you should actually go for SUPER high heat and a very very short cook time in order to caramelize the outside without overcooking the inside. Less heat will just give you a gray pork chop. Crank the heat under your cast iron pan for several minutes, add some high-heat oil like peanut or corn, continue to heat for another minute or so, throw in your pork chops and let go for maybe a minute or two on each side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Turtlicious posted:

Oh, poo poo, ok.

I don't have a thermometer, so I just kind of eyeballed it. The cuts are a bit on the thin side though, so I don't think I could have temped them even if I wanted too.

I think I'm going to try again tonight with less heat and a shorter cook time.

Try the reverse sear method.

That entire post is excellent, by the by.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Seconding Kenji's post on Serious Eats. He just posted it yesterday and its a pretty good read.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Oracle posted:

I have heard the holy grail for chicken stock is chicken feet. Anyone actually tried this? I haven't yet because the only place you can get them is the Asian market and they are marked up accordingly.

I use a mix of chicken feet and wings for my stock, and that poo poo gels right the gently caress up and is delicious. Chicken feet 4 life.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah I usually use carcasses for the bulk of my stock but I always try to buy some feet and cheap wings to throw in there.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When I want buffalo wings, I buy whole wings and fabricate them myself. This lets me keep an ever growing freezer bag of wingtips, and when it's full, it's time to use that and a carcass and make stock.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Midniter posted:

That was a pretty great read. So oven first THEN sear it, I can definitely try that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

He had me at "I never brine my meat."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Get the big thick pork chops. With the bone. The little tenderloin part is one of the most incredible things ever.

At our old house we had to grill in the driveway and the neighbors would come over and ask 'Where'd you get them t-bones'

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

When I want buffalo wings, I buy whole wings and fabricate them myself. This lets me keep an ever growing freezer bag of wingtips, and when it's full, it's time to use that and a carcass and make stock.

I do this too, works great especially with a pressure cooker.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

he can remove the bone and pound it out and schnitzel, scallopini, and tonkatsu, too. nom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poS-8bT4g2M

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I cheat with thin pork chops and dust them with seasoned flour before flash frying both sides. The outsides are browned and crunchy and the insides are tender. I'm sure it's a horrible method but I don't even care :colbert:

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Forgive me father for I have sinned
I wanted to do a Shepard's Pie thing, but with maybe sweet potatoes, maybe pork or steak or chicken, a tomato base gravyish thing, maybe some green and red peppers, onions or leeks? Any thoughts on this?

Just not hamburger and peas and potatoes.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

RazorBunny posted:

I cheat with thin pork chops and dust them with seasoned flour before flash frying both sides. The outsides are browned and crunchy and the insides are tender. I'm sure it's a horrible method but I don't even care :colbert:
It's not horrible but if you're going through the trouble anyway why not just go ahead and do scallopini or something?

Also, another thing to do with thin pork chops: Cuban sandwiches.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

Just remember to cut the chops at the fringe at about 1" intervals and 1/2 inch deep so they don't curl up as much.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I haven't had any issues with curling, but these are bone-in chops so I think that helps.

And dusting with flour isn't really much effort. Isn't scallopini actually breading the chop, with egg wash and everything? (I've never made scallopini :blush:)

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Does anyone have any pointers for keeping simple syrup from crystalizing? I like to keep it around for bar stuff and coffee and tea, but it tends to crystallize on me. I make it 2/1 generally. I try to keep the containers clean etc... I've heard cream of tartar or lemon juice can help?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

FishBulb posted:

Does anyone have any pointers for keeping simple syrup from crystalizing? I like to keep it around for bar stuff and coffee and tea, but it tends to crystallize on me. I make it 2/1 generally. I try to keep the containers clean etc... I've heard cream of tartar or lemon juice can help?

Are you leaving the container open? I do 2:1 heavy syrup and keep it in a stopped bottle and it never crystalizes, except maybe around the spout

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

ZoneManagement posted:

I wanted to do a Shepard's Pie thing, but with maybe sweet potatoes, maybe pork or steak or chicken, a tomato base gravyish thing, maybe some green and red peppers, onions or leeks? Any thoughts on this?

Just not hamburger and peas and potatoes.

OK, I'm seeing something like an earthy, mildly spiced, chicken stew with the mashed sweets on top. Maybe something like a Moroccan Style Chicken stew, seasoned with ginger, cinnamon, cumin, cardamom, cayenne maybe a little turmeric.

Maybe something like this:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/moroccan-chicken-stew-recipe.html

or this:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/moroccan-chicken/

Personally, I'd downplay the sweetness of the potatoes a little bit. Throw in some of the same spices as the stew, especially the cayenne and cumin.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Steve Yun posted:

Are you leaving the container open? I do 2:1 heavy syrup and keep it in a stopped bottle and it never crystalizes, except maybe around the spout

I've been keeping it in an old vodka bottle with a pump on it recently. Before that it was cheap plastic squeeze bottles. Regardless crystals.

It's possible I'm over boiling or stirring it too. I hate that something so basic is giving me trouble.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

FishBulb posted:

I've been keeping it in an old vodka bottle with a pump on it recently. Before that it was cheap plastic squeeze bottles. Regardless crystals.

It's possible I'm over boiling or stirring it too. I hate that something so basic is giving me trouble.

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2013/09/cocktail-science-simple-syrup-do-not-cook-it-unheated-cool-sugar-syrup-for-drinks.html

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

FishBulb posted:

I stop boiling the instant it turns clear, and sometimes a little earlier

Cheat if all else fails: mix in a tablespoon of corn syrup, it disrupts the formation of sucrose crystals

edit: I might try the room temp thing some time, but I'm impatient

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anyone got other applications for Corned Beef? The price just dropped this week at the Grocery and will continue to fall from now through the next few weeks due to St. Patricks day. I plan on buying a couple to freeze, like every year. For lunches this week I've already made a standard corned beef and cabbage recipe which is tasty but I'm looking for other things to use corned beef for since it's so freaking cheap right now. Any ideas?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Breaky posted:

Anyone got other applications for Corned Beef? The price just dropped this week at the Grocery and will continue to fall from now through the next few weeks due to St. Patricks day. I plan on buying a couple to freeze, like every year. For lunches this week I've already made a standard corned beef and cabbage recipe which is tasty but I'm looking for other things to use corned beef for since it's so freaking cheap right now. Any ideas?

I believe what you are looking for is a Reuben, otherwise known as The Best Sandwich.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Midniter posted:

I believe what you are looking for is a Reuben, otherwise known as The Best Sandwich.

Currently available at Arby's

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

Local deli puts squeeze bottles of dressing on the table for use with their reubens. Pretty much the best thing ever.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Bob Morales posted:

Currently available at Arby's

Nobody is hungry enough to eat at Arby's.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Nobody is hungry enough to eat at Arby's.

The commercial said it was just as good as New York deli! Even backed by deli guys.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Arby's used to have the best chicken tenders of any fast food place, but they changed the recipe and now they're garbage :smith:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Beef n cheddar is pretty good.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Breaky posted:

Corned beef hash.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

FishBulb posted:

What the other poster said, if you boil it heavily and evaporate enough water out there's nowhere left for rhe sugar to go but out of the solution.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Psychobabble posted:

What the other poster said, if you boil it heavily and evaporate enough water out there's nowhere left for rhe sugar to go but out of the solution.

Yep. Heating a liquid allows it to break down more molecules than normal and become super saturated. When it cools down, anything even molecularly abrasive in the container will cause the sugar to crystallize out.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
So I shouldn't heat it at all? Can I still make it 2/1? I've been lied to all these years :(

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

FishBulb posted:

So I shouldn't heat it at all? Can I still make it 2/1? I've been lied to all these years :(

I always just dump the boiling water onto the sugar and stir.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

FishBulb posted:

You can still make it 2:1 it just takes longer to absorb without heating it. That way water won't evaporate out like boiling, and the ratio will stay true.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Can anyone recommend a recipe for a Chicago-style deep-dish pizza? Specifically what are the differences to thin-crust dough.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

midnightclimax posted:

Can anyone recommend a recipe for a Chicago-style deep-dish pizza? Specifically what are the differences to thin-crust dough.

I've seen a few webpage recipes that seem really good. I'm not a pizzamaking man, but I think the biggest difference between thin & deep dish crust is the thin rests for a day, while the deep dish rests for about 30/60 minutes (right about until it doubles in size and is super puffy) before it's used.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/07/04/881605/-Sunday-Bread-Pizza-Deep-Dish-And-Thin-Crust

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2010/01/16/heres-the-deep-dish-secrets-of-chicagos-favorite-pizza-revealed/

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Wroughtirony posted:

I always just dump the boiling water onto the sugar and stir.

I'll try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Drifter posted:

I've seen a few webpage recipes that seem really good. I'm not a pizzamaking man, but I think the biggest difference between thin & deep dish crust is the thin rests for a day, while the deep dish rests for about 30/60 minutes (right about until it doubles in size and is super puffy) before it's used.

That and copious amounts of olive oil.