Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Pretty beaten on this, but I typed it so...

Elphiem posted:

Why hasn't science invented Instant Orgasm? At the Push of a button.

Surely the physiological mechanics of it is fully understood by now?

Some of the physiological stimuli are a little murky still. But the best reason is that most people would die with their finger on the button. They've actually done this with lab rats - wired a button directly to the pleasure center, and let the rats trigger it whenever. They killed themselves, either with some kind of brain overload or by forsaking food/water and starving/dehydrating to death.

Imagine a drug that you could take that gave you an instant, safe, satisfying high. Now imagine that you don't have to swallow a pill, poke a needle into your body, smoke anything or even bring your hand to your crotch and work it for 5 minutes. Just push a button and *ding* orgasm.

How do you regulate it? There's nothing illegal about masturbating (except that you can't do it in public). But I'd really rather not think that the person sitting next to me in the office is getting off every so often. What about putting a time restraint on the device? Well, all that would do is open a market for people to modify the device to override whatever prevents you from pushing the button a million times in a row. Even if that could be controlled carefully, all you would be working for would be your next hit. It would be like working in exchange for drugs. By that same token, if you are talking a physical button wired directly to your brain, what's to stop someone else from coming up to you, and literally pressing your buttons. "drat it, Todd! I'm trying to give a presentation here! Stop doing that!"

And since it would be something hardwired to your brain, that means surgery. I doubt insurance would cover the orgasm button in 99% of cases. So it's an elective. But what would you charge for it? What's it worth to somebody to be able to press a button and get off just like that? A million dollars? For a one time operation? That would likely last the rest of your (very shortened) life?

Plus there's a moral question to it too. Sure, you've got the typical, fire and brimstone fundies that say "Masturbation is the work of Satan and you're evil for being a human being and blah blah blah". But as a doctor, someone who swore an oath to do no harm, to put a device such as this in a person is effectively a death sentence. It would probably be less objectionable to just give someone enough morphine to OD.

TLDR: They don't have this because no one would ever stop pressing the button given the opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
How fuckin' lazy do you have to be to think, "yeah, I want an orgasm, but masturbation is just too much work"?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think humans are rats, in that we don't masturbate to death.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Only because it's too much work. Also, refractory periods.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

You can only masturbate every so often. You can press an orgasm button as quickly as you want.

There's actually a whole nother question of "what would the effect be on human neurophysiology." Heroin makes you really happy and fucks with your neural pathways. Would an orgasm button do similar things? Would you even be able to feel the orgasm high again if you didn't wait a few minutes between pressings?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

alnilam posted:

Would you even be able to feel the orgasm high again if you didn't wait a few minutes between pressings?

Sex addicts are basically the answer to this question.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kedo posted:

Sex addicts are basically the answer to this question.

Some sex addicts don't even have orgasms. :science:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Only because it's too much work. Also, refractory periods.

While I have no studies to prove this, I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't just Orgasm themselves to death.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Turtlicious posted:

While I have no studies to prove this, I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't just Orgasm themselves to death.

Speak for yourself.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I imagine your body would probably just run out of dopamine and oxytocin reserves before you could kill yourself, and/or you couldn't do reuptake quickly enough so you'd just be in a constant state of orgasm high and your body would adjust to it as the new normal.

Like sex addicts! :D SCIENCE!

KoB
May 1, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

TLDR: They don't have this because no one would ever stop pressing the button given the opportunity.

You think way too highly of humanity. We dont have it because we havent got the technology down yet.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

KoB posted:

You think way too highly of humanity. We dont have it because we havent got the technology down yet.
And we haven't got the technology yet because there's no money in making something you can only sell to a customer once.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

PT6A posted:

How fuckin' lazy do you have to be to think, "yeah, I want an orgasm, but masturbation is just too much work"?

It's a matter of convenience. I enjoy rubbing one out when I can't get sex but sometimes I got things I have to do and could use the relief. I mean especially if I'm at work and I don't want to risk rubbing one out in the bathroom.

Also it would have been a godsend when I was 13. I mean I had this thing in my pants annoying the hell out of me 3-4 times a day and as much as I enjoyed it I really wanted to focus on class, my homework and teaching myself computer programming too.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 5, 2014

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
Do gangbangers have some sort of training division within their organized organized hierarchy? Do new gang members get some sort of a weapons familiarization course before committing drive bys and the like? How do they know what to do when their gun jams or has a hot barrel? Is there some kind of "target practice" that they do in order to minimize ammunition?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I pay Cox $40 a month for 65Mbps.

For some reason I have to go through some local company that is owned by Cox or distributes Cox or something.

edit: Apparently it's not as bad as I thought, they offer similar speeds but charge about $5-15 bucks more than Time Warner.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 5, 2014

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

poopkitty posted:

Do gangbangers have some sort of training division within their organized organized hierarchy? Do new gang members get some sort of a weapons familiarization course before committing drive bys and the like? How do they know what to do when their gun jams or has a hot barrel? Is there some kind of "target practice" that they do in order to minimize ammunition?

I imagine most of the time they stick a couple of kids in a car with Mac-10s, tell them where to go, then let them spray the poo poo at whoever/whatever it is, then drive away.

I will defer to anybody who knows a single thing about guns, but "hot barrels" and jamming seem not particularly likely things to crop up in this process. They aren't firing belt-fed mounted machineguns from WW2.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Jeza posted:

I imagine most of the time they stick a couple of kids in a car with Mac-10s, tell them where to go, then let them spray the poo poo at whoever/whatever it is, then drive away.

I will defer to anybody who knows a single thing about guns, but "hot barrels" and jamming seem not particularly likely things to crop up in this process. They aren't firing belt-fed mounted machineguns from WW2.

It probably doesn't matter for machine pistols (but I wouldn't know), but hot barrels aren't only a thing that happens to full-on machine guns. In combat training, we fired the M249 SAW, which is a light machine gun, and we had to learn how to switch the barrel for that, along with its big brother, the M240B.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Jeza posted:

I know a single thing about guns. lovely 9mms jam all the time. It's generally a simple fix, but I've been heavily trained. Rifle barrels (of any kind) get hot. If you spray bullets for long enough and put them in a car still loaded? :ohdear: :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Turtlicious posted:

Turtlicious posted:

Drugs like heroin and meth are a totally different scenario because...?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiggum posted:

Starvation isn't what kills Meth Users normally.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tiggum posted:

Those have bad side-effects, and a lot of the deadliness comes from what you have to do to get those drugs, and the fact that you never know about purity or dose if you're buying on the street. There's also issues of tolerance, which lead people to use larger and larger doses. I don't know if tolerance is a thing that could apply to orgasms in the same way it does to drugs. There are better orgasms and worse orgasms, but even the worst orgasm is pretty decent.

I'm not saying an instant orgasm button wouldn't have some severe consequences for society, but I don't think humans would starve or dehydrate as a result.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

I can stop whenever I want. :colbert:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
What's an easy way to rip the sound out of a video?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Ffmpeg is professional-level audio/video encoding software, and is completely free to use. It is command-line only, but it's incredibly powerful. To rip the audio from a video, you'd run: ffmpeg.exe -i inputfile.mp4 -c:a mp3 outputfile.mp3

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

poopkitty posted:

I know a single thing about guns. lovely 9mms jam all the time. It's generally a simple fix, but I've been heavily trained. Rifle barrels (of any kind) get hot. If you spray bullets for long enough and put them in a car still loaded? :ohdear: :shrug:
For the most part gang members don't even reload. So burning out a barrel is not among their top concerns. In the majority of incidents a handful of shots are fired in the general direction of the target and everyone involved fucks off to their mom's house before the cops show up.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

PT6A posted:

I'm not saying an instant orgasm button wouldn't have some severe consequences for society, but I don't think humans would starve or dehydrate as a result.

It's not very common, but when people are so addicted to video games, they will die playing them, I think the concern is valid.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

poopkitty posted:

In the army, people who had a hard on for weapons their whole life and have done a lot of armchair research on the subject join a team and then do months and years of training to learn to kill people.

What leads you to believe gangs are any different?

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

photomikey posted:

I asked a question, implying no belief. Touchy much? And lots of folks in the Armed Services have never seen/touched/researched a weapon before. They just want cash for school and to get away from their drunk daddy. Except the gangbangers who join the Military to recruit more gangbangers. Possibly for weapons training programs?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I'm not touchy at all. I've not been in the military or a gang. I don't even like guns. But I assume much like junior enlisted learn gun techniques from senior enlisted, junior gang members learn from senior gang members. When you think about it, the hierarchy isn't that much different.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

photomikey posted:

I'm not touchy at all. I've not been in the military or a gang. I don't even like guns. But I assume much like junior enlisted learn gun techniques from senior enlisted, junior gang members learn from senior gang members. When you think about it, the hierarchy isn't that much different.
The hierarchy of a loosely affiliated group of criminals isn't that much different to that of the military? :psyduck:

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

photomikey posted:

Well when I read the question I assumed this was not the case. That's why I shut up an waited for someone with a knowledge about the subject to respond.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Are there any meaningful differences between corporate name suffixes like "Inc.", "Ltd.", "L.L.C.", etc? Huge corporations probably use them legitimately, but it seems like many small companies tack them on willy-nilly to sound more official.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

Are there any meaningful differences between corporate name suffixes like "Inc.", "Ltd.", "L.L.C.", etc? Huge corporations probably use them legitimately, but it seems like many small companies tack them on willy-nilly to sound more official.

They all mean different things, and chances are no one is using them willy nilly. There's sole proprietorships, stock corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies, etc. They have different tax implications for the owners, as well as liability and whether the owner's assets are at risk.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

They all mean different things, and chances are no one is using them willy nilly.

Murder Inc. probably was.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Gravity Pike posted:

Ffmpeg is professional-level audio/video encoding software, and is completely free to use. It is command-line only, but it's incredibly powerful. To rip the audio from a video, you'd run: ffmpeg.exe -i inputfile.mp4 -c:a mp3 outputfile.mp3

I'll check this out but I realized last night that I meant to say remove and not rip.

Anyway, a question probably better suited for SHS but is there a way I can make a date field in an Access table only allow users to enter today's date? Scratch that, what I would rather do is lock down a table so the dates in a specific column couldn't be changed after the fact.

Currently, I have things set so that way people can't change the date in the form but they're still able to go to the main table and change things there if they want. So right now a user could manipulate the data to make themselves look more productive than others.

Thanks in advance,

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 5, 2014

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

photomikey posted:

In the army, people who had a hard on for weapons their whole life and have done a lot of armchair research on the subject join a team and then do months and years of training to learn to kill people.

I guess like the military, most people join gangs because of material/financial desperation, I think. The comparison sort of ends there.

Honestly many many gang members are young teenagers who happen to have been born behind certain gang lines and may not really have a choice (you may be killed for not joining in some really bad neighborhoods, or else you may join when you're 12 and be killed if you try to leave). The senior gang people probably don't care much about you personally and likely won't show you how to do much. Most likely you'll get sent on a hit (or a defensive thing) with one mid-level guy and a few other kids and the mid-level guy will give you basic instructions.

Gangs are sad as poo poo and am I remembering right that there used to be an a/t thread with a former gang member? I'd like to read that a little.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
How does autopsy work for people who is discovered dead after missing for a period? I know that they look for possible unnatural causes, but would the investigators check for something like Cerbera odollam when the dead person in question has no reason to be poisoned in such a manner and no previous history of cardiac diseases?

VVVV This is exactly why I am not asking this question in preparation for a murder. :colbert:

Jeek fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 5, 2014

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Jeek posted:

How does autopsy work for people who is discovered dead after missing for a period? I know that they look for possible unnatural causes, but would the investigators check for something like Cerbera odollam when the dead person in question has no reason to be poisoned in such a manner and no previous history of cardiac diseases?

Posting stuff like this on the internet before you kill someone usually results in the cops finding you. This was not a smart idea.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Trastion posted:

Posting stuff like this on the internet before you kill someone usually results in the cops finding you. This was not a smart idea.

And posting stuff like this on the Internet before you kill yourself is even more ridiculous. Jeek, go to your doctor and tell him or her about the extent of your suicide plan. Don't loving drag us into it. Get help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
It depends on the types of gangs you're talking about. In the developed world, gang violence is usually pretty close and fast, there's no need for (or extensive knowledge of) suppressing fire because a gun is either a tool to inflict terror (in a driveby) or a really long, effective knife (in an actual targeted murder). Gangs don't pin and flank like an infantry squad/section has to in an actual conflict. Why would they? Though I'm sure they have some rudimentary training to actually operate a gun, and maybe even target practice at ranges sometimes.

In the developing world (for instance, Mexican cartels), gangs are much more like paramilitary organizations and some of them have been shown to have rationalized recruitment and training regimes. They also have to actually fight trained militaries and other gangs rather than just terrorize and kill one or two guys sometimes. Those guys would have to know how to maintain their weapons, employ tactics, and actually have some level of fieldcraft and poo poo.