Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Define windy and where did you get your endorsement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

MagnumHB posted:

Just chiming in to say I finished up my tailwheel endorsement on Saturday after 8.9 hours and some of the windiest days I've ever flown in. I can't recommend it enough for refining fundamental stick and rudder skills. Also, I realized the OP is lacking my location, which is in the US.

Congratulations, it's a great addition to have and opens up a lot of interesting aircraft. The only trouble is that it makes flying anything with a nosewheel somewhat dull.

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

Define windy and where did you get your endorsement?
20+ kt gusty direct crosswinds. Hardly record breaking, but a big confidence/skill booster for me going up on days I would have probably cancelled before. I did it at Freeway (W00) with this guy.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Signed up for my multi oral and check ride Wednesday. It's just an add-on to my commercial and I expect it to be pretty easy.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

MagnumHB posted:

20+ kt gusty direct crosswinds. Hardly record breaking, but a big confidence/skill booster for me going up on days I would have probably cancelled before. I did it at Freeway (W00) with this guy.

That's awesome. I've got 2.5 hours in a J-3 Cub and 2.5 hours in a Legend Cub. Need to finally pick up that endorsement. My CFI Instructor put me in the tailwheels to get me to 'slow down' my teaching during flight. Apparently I was constantly talking at all times trying to prove what I knew...... I guess he wanted me to be more realistic.

My cadence went down in a HURRY trying to explain how to taxi the thing without dying at KACT in 20kt winds.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

MagnumHB posted:

Congrats! I got my private out of W00. I think Rickety Cricket went there at least for a while also. I moved but whenever I am back around MD I try to go fly there, it's a cool little airport.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Folks who fly bigger stuff, or stuff with nav systems that load approaches for you, take a look at this approach plate, please:

KCRP LOC RY 31

When would it be most beneficial for you to know that you can delete the altitude restriction at PINRR?

When Navy Cabaniss field is closed, I have no need for the restriction, so I try to remember to tell flight crews to remove it. If I tell them too far out, I feel they haven't really briefed the approach plate yet and don't know what I'm talking about. If I wait to delete the restriction after I've issued the approach clearance, I worry that it might be cumbersome for them to edit their loaded approach while intercepting final and worrying about more important things.

So when would the best time be to remove this restriction, as far as workload is concerned?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

MagnumHB posted:

I did it at Freeway (W00)

Infinotize posted:

I got my private out of W00. I think Rickety Cricket went there at least for a while also.

I did a few lessons out of there, I really liked one instructor - but so did everyone else as he was always booked, and really didn't get along with the other guys. I moved to Potomac (VKX) inside the FRZ and absolutely loved everyone over there. I'm now in Baltimore for school and flying out of Martin (KMTN)

EDIT: I a word

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
One of these days I need to actually use the secret decoder ring I got to be able to fly into the Flight Restricted Zone and head down to College Park and DC. Gotta love a GA airport that's a short walk away from a Metro station. And I did jump through all those hoops to get the permission.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Havn't flown into CP yet, been on my list of things to do. I grew up in the city next to it and have always wanted to fly over the university

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Ferret King posted:

Folks who fly bigger stuff, or stuff with nav systems that load approaches for you, take a look at this approach plate, please:

KCRP LOC RY 31

When would it be most beneficial for you to know that you can delete the altitude restriction at PINRR?

When Navy Cabaniss field is closed, I have no need for the restriction, so I try to remember to tell flight crews to remove it. If I tell them too far out, I feel they haven't really briefed the approach plate yet and don't know what I'm talking about. If I wait to delete the restriction after I've issued the approach clearance, I worry that it might be cumbersome for them to edit their loaded approach while intercepting final and worrying about more important things.

So when would the best time be to remove this restriction, as far as workload is concerned?

You should tell us at around 9,000ft, when we have briefed the approach and reduced to 250kts. Preferably right around the moment you issue the first heading vector, as we usually have to make one final change on the FMS anyways (cleaning it up) so if you tell us right then the pilot monitoring can do both things efficiently.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

KCRP LOC RY 31

Generally, the earlier crews can get information like that, the better. In a lot of cases, approach briefings are done as soon as practical after the approach is assigned (or we're told to expect it), so if you gave that with the clearance, it would prevent crews from having to re-brief parts of the approach. Since that's a pretty simple approach (not a lot of fixes, and the missed is straightforward) I'd think that a reasonably competent crew should be able to figure out what you mean if you remove the restriction when assigning the approach.

A lot of the workload would depend on the exact FMS or nav system they're using, and somewhat on the exact policies for a given company. As an example, the FMS I fly with automatically assigns altitudes to every fix along an approach to create a glidepath down to minimums, but we're not allowed to modify any waypoints in between the FAF and the missed approach fix, so removing that restriction wouldn't change anything for one of our crews.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Word on the street (Facebook) is that there are a lot of guys at RAH who are going to vote no their TA. They're saying that it's a worse contract than xjet. If they vote no things are going to start getting crazy.

The Ferret King posted:

I'd give it when you tell them what approach to expect. Example:

-Approach, EGF3041 out of 12 for 10 with bravo.
-EGF3041 approach, fly heading XXX vectors for the LOC 31 you can disregard the altitude at PINRR.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
They should vote no. The CS300 rates are still in it. That's a gigantic trojan horse. Everybody ought to understand that if regionals start flying aircraft of that size, you're basically committing to flying for a regional for life - it'll severely delay when you ever make it to a major. Who knows what kind of scope fuckery will go on at the majors - stop it before it starts.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
We try to brief the approach before top of descent so you won't talk to us before the whole thing is loaded, but we're going to use the LOC for lateral direction and PATH for vertical direction in the 7X. That allows us to hit all the crossing restrictions and maintain a constant descent rate from the final approach fix to the runway.

The Ferret King posted:

KCRP LOC RY 31

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

KodiakRS posted:

Word on the street (Facebook) is that there are a lot of guys at RAH who are going to vote no their TA. They're saying that it's a worse contract than xjet. If they vote no things are going to start getting crazy.

I'd give it when you tell them what approach to expect. Example:

-Approach, EGF3041 out of 12 for 10 with bravo.
-EGF3041 approach, fly heading XXX vectors for the LOC 31 you can disregard the altitude at PINRR.

I'll keep experimenting with it. I've yet to find a practice that consistently gets through without questioning from the flight crew.

I normally do not tell them what approach to expect, it's on the ATIS already (right now there's only ever 1 approach expected).

ausgezeichnet posted:

We try to brief the approach before top of descent so you won't talk to us before the whole thing is loaded, but we're going to use the LOC for lateral direction and PATH for vertical direction in the 7X. That allows us to hit all the crossing restrictions and maintain a constant descent rate from the final approach fix to the runway.

In this case, deleting PINRR from your profile should allow you to follow a more standard path to the MDA yes? With PINNR, it's kinda steep to keep you above Navy Cabaniss field's traffic.

It's funny, we're rarely north flow here, and once our other runway opens up we'll never use this approach again (because of the many problems associated with landing runway 31 and Navy airports nearby) so I'm just trying to hone a technique that I'll probably rarely use in the future.

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

In this case, deleting PINRR from your profile should allow you to follow a more standard path to the MDA yes? With PINNR, it's kinda steep to keep you above Navy Cabaniss field's traffic.

It's funny, we're rarely north flow here, and once our other runway opens up we'll never use this approach again (because of the many problems associated with landing runway 31 and Navy airports nearby) so I'm just trying to hone a technique that I'll probably rarely use in the future.

Technically it might, but at my airline if we had already briefed we would just fly that restriction anyways from the original constant descent, KISS and reduce chances to complicate things at the last minute.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Slaughter posted:

They should vote no. The CS300 rates are still in it. That's a gigantic trojan horse. Everybody ought to understand that if regionals start flying aircraft of that size, you're basically committing to flying for a regional for life - it'll severely delay when you ever make it to a major. Who knows what kind of scope fuckery will go on at the majors - stop it before it starts.

If regionals start flying CS300s wouldn't the majors literally only fly NYC-LA and intercontinental?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

If regionals start flying CS300s wouldn't the majors literally only fly NYC-LA and intercontinental?

This is why scope is so very very important.

As of right now most of the major airlines have to fly anything bigger than a crj-900/e-175 at mainline, using mainline crews. In the next few years I would expect to see a huge push from managers at major airlines for scope relief allowing them to fly CS sized airplanes at the regionals. They'll try to sell it to the mainline pilots by offering huge signing bonuses or short term gains, hoping that all the guys with <10 years left will vote it in to salvage what they lost from their pensions.

Then, instead of using 6 pilots to fly 3 flights from DFW-CRP per day they'll just use 2 pilots to fly a single CS-100 or E-190. Pilot shortage "solved".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Are they seriously trying to get regionals to fly the 130 seat CS300 though? Thats insane. A E-190 is at least below 100 but something A319/737-700 sized?!

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Are they seriously trying to get regionals to fly the 130 seat CS300 though? Thats insane. A E-190 is at least below 100 but something A319/737-700 sized?!

RAH certainly didn't order $3 billion worth of them because they thought they would look nice sitting on the ramp.

As far as what the airlines are willing to try? 15 years ago regional airlines were flying shorts and metros. Now they're flying e-190s. And while it may sound insane to you it sounds like a good business decision to the people running the airlines.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm sure management would prefer to have their pilots pay to fly but that doesn't make it less insane.

gently caress it just let all the majors merge, call it Pan-am and make everything smaller than a 787 into a race to the bottom for a revolving cast of near bankrupt regionals to bid on.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hobbesmaster posted:

gently caress it just let all the majors merge, call it Pan-am and make everything smaller than a 787 into a race to the bottom for a revolving cast of near bankrupt regionals to bid on.

Hey, there's e.pilot's foot in the door!

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm sure management would prefer to have their pilots pay to fly but that doesn't make it less insane.

It's called pay to play, and yes, it's a thing. Most notably by gulfstream (now silver airways) operating as continental connection. I think they stopped doing it though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

It's called pay to play, and yes, it's a thing. Most notably by gulfstream (now silver airways) operating as continental connection. I think they stopped doing it though.

I interviewed with Gulfstream as a mechanic, way back when. It's the only job offer I've ever turned down.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

The Ferret King posted:

KCRP LOC RY 31

For those of us that hand fly all approaches, I'd say approaching DUCKY inbound.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

xaarman posted:

For those of us that hand fly all approaches, I'd say approaching DUCKY inbound.

Pro.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

xaarman posted:

Hey, I had fly all of my approaches too! (when the autopilot is MEL'ed).

Honestly though I pretty much hand fly all non precision approaches from FAF inbound. There are a lot of approaches where if you don't start down immediately at the FAF you're going to be high and have a bitch of a time getting to your VDP on altitude without busting stabilization criteria. This approach is actually a decent example as you're already about 150' high if you cross DUCKY at 1600*. By the time you select vertical speed, set your desired sink rate, and the auto pilot gets around to descending at that rate you're probably closer to 300' high.

*based on the 300Ft/NM rule.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

The Slaughter posted:

I agree but on the flip side Northwest (now Delta) always had CRJ900 pay rates. They are literally double what they pay us to fly them. If Republic has them, some major will try to scope them out. Though, I think times are changing because of the "wage shortage".

My opinion is if they raise pay immediately across the board, enough pilots MIGHT come back to the industry to keep it running until the next wave of new pilots can backfill. However, I'm very sceptical there are enough pilots out there willing to to do this unless the number is very high. As it is right now, I'd expect more cancellations and route reductions as I don't see pay raises coming any time soon.

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 5, 2014

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Ferret King posted:

Hey, there's e.pilot's foot in the door!

lol, apparently my previous sarcasm was lost

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Passed my commercial multi. Done with ratings for a while unless I get money for MEI.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

The Ferret King posted:

In this case, deleting PINRR from your profile should allow you to follow a more standard path to the MDA yes? With PINRR, it's kinda steep to keep you above Navy Cabaniss field's traffic.

The 3.47° glide path is driven by the 1600 ft AGL crossing altitude at DUCKY (the final approach fix), not the 1300 ft restriction at PINRR. You'll never see a depicted glide path if the descent angle changes inside the FAF and TERPS might very well dictate that there never is a change. The only time I would care about the altitude at PINNR would be if I was doing a dive-and-drive approach, which we never do anymore since the advent of VNAV path and VGP/IAN approach navigation. It's just not a thing to pilots with the virtual glide path capability.

ausgezeichnet fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 6, 2014

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I didn't realize that. I figured PINRR created the non standard descent angle. However, DUCKY is the Final Approach Fix, not PINRR.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

The Ferret King posted:

I didn't realize that. I figured PINRR created the non standard descent angle. However, DUCKY is the Final Approach Fix, not PINRR.

Copy, I fixed that. I think that the reason the descent angle is steep from DUCKY is that the designers wanted to clear the obstruction at PINRR and not vary the glide path angle.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

ausgezeichnet posted:

Copy, I fixed that. I think that the reason the descent angle is steep from DUCKY is that the designers wanted to clear the obstruction at PINRR and not vary the glide path angle.

Well I'm not sure what came first, the airspace procedure or this approach plate, but when we ask for "Runway 31 airspace" from Cabaniss Field, they take their Class D down to 1.5NM radius around DUCKY, surface to 800ft. This allows them to run a very small pattern while the PINNR fix protects 500ft above their airspace, allowing us to run arrivals without coordinating every single one or losing separation with their pattern guys. I didn't even consider the obstruction before. Either way this approach is nuts, not for any complexity per se, but because of the crazy proximity in which we run airplanes to Cabaniss' traffic pattern.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 6, 2014

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Passed my commercial multi. Done with ratings for a while unless I get money for MEI.

If you already have your CFI/II the MEI shouldn't cost you too much money. If there's any way you could get the add on now I'd do it right away while you're still sharp. Of course if you're already a CFI you probably don't have any money and already have more debt than most third world countries.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
A few pilots on a british forum got together to commerate the raid on Amiens. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOAPx_VPi-A&app=desktop ). Sadly I couldn't make it but it looks like they had a great time.

The route for those who are interested:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
http://news.sky.com/story/1222674/malaysia-airlines-plane-loses-contact

quote:

Malaysia Airlines says flight MH370 carrying 239 people bound for Beijing "has lost contact" with air traffic control.

The state-owned carrier said the Boeing 777-200 disappeared this morning at 2.40am local time.

It left Kuala Lumpur just after midnight and was due to arrive in Beijing at 6.30am local time.

Malaysia Airlines said in a statement: "The flight is carrying a total number of 227 passengers (including two infants), 12 crew members.

"The passengers are of 13 different nationalities."

The carrier said it was working with the authorities who have activated their search and rescue teams to locate the aircraft.

It is also contacting the next-of-kin of the passengers and crew.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected passengers and crew and their family members," Malaysia Airlines CEO Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said in a statement.

The airline said it would provide "regular updates" on the situation and has set up the phone line +603 7884 1234 for concerned members of the public.

Flightaware tracking

A guy from reddit said:

quote:

I was flying around the same airspace last night around the same time flying between Singapore and Darwin. There were a few storms around but nothing really out of the ordinary, although to be fair we had very different flight paths

EDIT: Also I'm sure they weren't related but we had a stuck microphone on frequency for quite a while. For those who don't know only one person can clearly transmit at a time on VHF. I'd absolutely hate to think they were trying to make a mayday call but couldn't get through...

the fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 8, 2014

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Still no real news on MH370. They found a big oil slick near Vietnam, but still haven't confirmed the fate of the plane. Something weird had to happen for a 777 to drop off the face of the earth without a mayday, or even some sort of automated failure message. Even AF447 sent a few failure messages to France before it hit the water.

On the pilot shortage/regional industry front:

The American Eagle MEC met with the company yesterday. The meeting was ostensibly to discuss what the future held and to see if the parties could come to some sort of arrangement. Apparently there was some back door deals being made and instead of just discussing things, they not only came up with an AIP, but a TA to send out for pilot ratification. Although the details of of the TA are still unknown it is very similar for the one that the MEC rejected 2 weeks ago. That rejection came in the form a 5 to 4 vote against sending it to the pilots for ratification. In the vote yesterday 6 abstained and 3 voted to send it out for pilot ratification.

Here's the kicker, the vote is scheduled to close on the 28th. The same day that the RAH vote closes. This may be a bit melodramatic but the next 3 weeks are going to determine the fate of the airline pilot profession in the United States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

It is not melodramatic, its the truth. So I guess they don't want the result of one vote to affect the vote on the other. Lets hope for two NO's, or else we at XJT will be left out to dry.

• Locked thread