Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Fried Chicken posted:

Whoops posted before seeing, how do I get rid of prior posts on the awful app?
There's no way to delete a post on SA but you can click the ellipsis to edit it out. e:Unless I'm misremembering and the other guy is right?

The "to be continued" here makes me feel like this'll become a two (or three?) chapter buildup to the Jeanne confrontation, which is out of the ordinary for this comic where the subject usually changed by chapter. (Spring Heeled being the exception.) It does feel kind of slow and sidetracked right now, since I don't know how guiding Mort will relate. But who knows who Mort was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Fried Chicken posted:

Whoops posted before seeing, how do I get rid of prior posts on the awful app?

Just ignore it and move on.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Splicer posted:

From my highly unscientific analysis, it seems to generally be the chapter after said reader catches up on the comic or the chapter after that.

I've been reading Gunnerkrigg Court since Annie was football-headed, and I haven't noticed any slowdown.

Rei_ posted:

One of the major problems is that the lady in the river has been set up as like almost endgame at this point, which is like where do you escalate to after that?
Well, maybe you don't? Tom did say he had an end planned for Gunnerkrigg Court. And maybe he's not going to do the J. K. Rowling thing of "the story is over when the schoolkids graduate".

Though there's still a lot of non-Jeanne mysteries to look at.

Cease to Hope posted:

Awful.app doesn't support post editing.
It's an awful app.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Awful.apk definitely supports post editing.

This whole business with Mort feels like Tom is trying to explain the mythology in regards to ghosts and psychopomps. Annie doesn't really have a pervue like the other guides we've seen and I'm looking forward to not only maybe some info on Mort's life/death, but on why he wasn't sent to the Ether before and what's going to happen to him now.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Your avatar just reminds me, what was the payoff to Hettie? I actually don't really remember that chapter. Isn't it that if you break your contract you die?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Pick posted:

Your avatar just reminds me, what was the payoff to Hettie? I actually don't really remember that chapter. Isn't it that if you break your contract you die?

It's that if you're an unrepentant child-murdering rear end in a top hat Reynard sets you on fire and devours your disembodied soul :black101:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Pick posted:

The Hettie story had a really terrible payoff and the chapter was not very well written or plotted when all was said and done.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
A few things we've got to deal with, apart from Jeanne, off the top of my head:

* What is Gunnerkrigg Court's true purpose? (For Man to become God, okay, but?)
* What is Coyote's long-term plan with Ysengrin, the Court, and Reynard (assuming he even has one)?
* What will be the eventual fate of those three characters?
* What is the Headmaster's plan and why did it require Smitty to become the medium?
* What, in general, is the deal with Anthony?
* What is going on with Kat as the Robot Angel?
* Why is Jones the way she is?

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

VanSandman posted:

Jeanne seems like the midpoint to me. The big accomplishment before things really get weird and large questions are raised for our protagonists.

So, Jeanne is the Lordgenome to Gunnerkrigg's Anti-spirals? :japan:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Let me explain a bit more. The chapter starts off with us being introduced to Hettie as a friend of Reynard's, but as things go on it turns out that he has really no idea before of anything about her, things she doesn't exactly keep quiet about. In the end, she's a zero-depth character created only to be destroyed to show that Reynard is regretful for what he attempted to do to Annie in a very clumsy fashion.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I thought it was pretty good, personally. Answered some fairly significant questions pretty quickly, showed us a little more of he world(what other spirt-inhabited things can be like), etc. I'm fine with a character just being a means to an end in that regard.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Yeah, at the time I compared her to Alistair, who served a similar purpose and vanished from the comic after one chapter. Hettie didn't really have enough juice in her for more than one story.

bigbigtruck
Feb 7, 2011

rattlesnake caught in a wheel well, strawberry in an ostrich throat

Not So Fast posted:

I think he gets more money directly selling it through Topocato than from Amazon or other places, so if you do want the books I'd get them from there, unless you're lucky enough to see him at a con.

Does he keep the money he makes from book sales at cons? I seem to recall something about his publisher pocketing a lot of it. (This was a couple of years ago and the details are very vague in my mind, so I could be totally off the mark.)

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The court is trying to make itself god like coyote said. That sounds like an interesting thing to investigate.

Also this is a secret desire of mine but I want gunnerkrigg to end in a completely catastrophic apocalyptic way where everyone dies.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hettie was still cool and I'm still happy with my avatar, however minor a character she may have been.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Potsticker posted:

Let me explain a bit more. The chapter starts off with us being introduced to Hettie as a friend of Reynard's, but as things go on it turns out that he has really no idea before of anything about her, things she doesn't exactly keep quiet about. In the end, she's a zero-depth character created only to be destroyed to show that Reynard is regretful for what he attempted to do to Annie in a very clumsy fashion.
We also learned that Reynard will set you on fire and then chomp your prawn-ghost in half if he feels it's warranted, and that Reynard felt no remorse for killing the Orjak because it was a fair fight. Hettie's purpose was to show that Reynard might be chilling in a stuffed toy being BFFs with Annie and Kat, but he's still, well, Reynard; a hundreds-of-years-old trickster god with his own moral code and often brutal methods.

Hettie's chapter wasn't about Hettie. The amount of characterisation that went into her despite this says a lot about this comic.

Cat Mattress posted:

I've been reading Gunnerkrigg Court since Annie was football-headed, and I haven't noticed any slowdown.
I think it was Chapter 9 where I started reading update-to-update, and I haven't noticed any slowdown either.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It's not that Hettie had a minor role guys, it's the nature of her relationship with Renard doesn't make sense given how they interact at the beginning with the reveal at the end. This thread was filled with confused reactions and mental gymnastics trying to figure it out.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

DaveWoo posted:

Speaking as someone who's been reading this comic "live" for years now, I'd say this latest chapter has felt particularly... aimless, for lack of a better word. I just feel like we really didn't get all that much in terms or either plot or character development.

The next chapter looks like it might make up for that, though. Here's hoping.

An "aimless" chapter dedicated to exploring the comic's universe is fine, but confining the cast - for weeks - in a tiny, featureless, purple/green gradient room where they stand around and talk and occasionally point fingers was a terrible idea, especially when it's hinted that something grandiose and awe-inspiring hides behind it. This is a visual medium above all; if you're set on doing things this way (Annie and Mort see one thing, Kat another) then invert the scenario: show us amazing landscapes with incomprehensible architecture and maddening creatures roaming about. Have Annie and Mort appropriately humbled and revering while Kat keeps her nonchalant schtick: instantly figuring the whole place out, storming from one demonic Escher-esque room to another until she reaches a skull throne floating in a starless sky, sits down, yawns, and easily manipulates an ungodly necro-device to summon Jeanne's victims' souls from the Eye of Jupiter. Or something.
Ultimately you should be able to look back on your work and be proud of it. Respect yourself and your readers. No crappy rooms with posed mannequins; each page should stand a goddamn piece of art. If the workload is too much to bear, cut the chapter in half. Even less if necessary. Quality above quantity is always relevant and all the more so in this godforsaken medium.

Bonus page is Annie and Mort in a tiny, featureless room. Quaking in their boots, they bow to a crummy teenager in a crummy costume.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Potsticker posted:

It's not that Hettie had a minor role guys, it's the nature of her relationship with Renard doesn't make sense given how they interact at the beginning with the reveal at the end. This thread was filled with confused reactions and mental gymnastics trying to figure it out.

It looked a lot to me like they'd only met once before and got along because of their similar situations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

While we're kinda sorta on the subject of Hettie, I won't argue that she's a minor, not very well developed character, but I think that chapter did serve a good purpose of showing Reynard showing something resembling remorse and trying to reconcile with Eglamore. I can kind of agree that it seems weird that he's hanging around with her, but seeing his kind of flat replies to Annie at the beginning and how he's acting distant or distracted from a number of interactions in that chapter, I think he might have just been lonely. She might have just been someone to talk to, and it seemed like she didn't display her full crazy right away.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Rei_ posted:

One of the major problems is that the lady in the river has been set up as like almost endgame at this point, which is like where do you escalate to after that?
Jeanne isn't even close to the endpoint of the comic, she's merely one of the many consequences of the unnatural things the Court has been doing for centuries. I suspect that putting her to rest will shed some light on the Court's experiments with Ether, which may be the real endpoint of the comic.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

seravid posted:

An "aimless" chapter dedicated to exploring the comic's universe is fine, but confining the cast - for weeks - in a tiny, featureless, purple/green gradient room where they stand around and talk and occasionally point fingers was a terrible idea, especially when it's hinted that something grandiose and awe-inspiring hides behind it. This is a visual medium above all; if you're set on doing things this way (Annie and Mort see one thing, Kat another) then invert the scenario: show us amazing landscapes with incomprehensible architecture and maddening creatures roaming about. Have Annie and Mort appropriately humbled and revering while Kat keeps her nonchalant schtick: instantly figuring the whole place out, storming from one demonic Escher-esque room to another until she reaches a skull throne floating in a starless sky, sits down, yawns, and easily manipulates an ungodly necro-device to summon Jeanne's victims' souls from the Eye of Jupiter. Or something.
Ultimately you should be able to look back on your work and be proud of it. Respect yourself and your readers. No crappy rooms with posed mannequins; each page should stand a goddamn piece of art. If the workload is too much to bear, cut the chapter in half. Even less if necessary. Quality above quantity is always relevant and all the more so in this godforsaken medium.

Bonus page is Annie and Mort in a tiny, featureless room. Quaking in their boots, they bow to a crummy teenager in a crummy costume.

:colbert: I think it's more interesting to have had Kat's point of view rather than a series of video game scenes.

Plus if we had it your way, the thread would have complained that Kat was a Mary Sue if she's both a technowizard and a necrowizard.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

:colbert: I think it's more interesting to have had Kat's point of view rather than a series of video game scenes.

Plus if we had it your way, the thread would have complained that Kat was a Mary Sue if she's both a technowizard and a necrowizard.

You thought this chapter was interesting? Which part? Legitimately curious. And the bonus page showing Kat's point of view would (in theory) prevent Mary Sue accusations.

Also, the stuff I said was instant rear end-pull to illustrate my point; I'm sure Tom could have made an interesting "true" ROTD. But I guess blank walls and VCR's are fun too!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

seravid posted:

Didn't really help with the persistent nagging sense that Kat is, in fact, still a bit of a Sue who can do no wrong either.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think that's truer of Kat than it is of Annie, since Annie has a few "moments" that are clearly not her finest.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I want the next chapter to be nothing but two inconsequential characters standing in a featureless room, describing problems that Kat solves effortlessly while offscreen. Bonus points if it raises plot points about mysterious secondary characters that are never mentioned ever again.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Didn't really help with the persistent nagging sense that Kat is, in fact, still a bit of a Sue who can do no wrong either.

Pick posted:

I think that's truer of Kat than it is of Annie, since Annie has a few "moments" that are clearly not her finest.

I don't think Kat has really been in any situations that couldn't have been solved by :science:

Barring her and Paz's date.

Her and Annie seem to be just basic foils to each other [is that the term?] she couldn't handle Etheric stuff [Like when Annie was in a coma because...bones?] and Annie can't really wrap her head around science. Otherwise she wouldn't need to copy Kat's homework all the time.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I wonder how deep the Annan even is.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The Red Queen posted:

I wonder how deep the Annan even is.

Deep enough to swim beneath the surface if you're a cute green forest guy.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pick posted:

So had Kat. She's pretty emotionally vulnerable.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kat probably is a little due for exhibiting human flaws again though. Most of her recent negative moments have been fairly justified.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

seravid posted:

You seem to be putting a lot of weight on the visual component when that's only part of what makes this comic good.

The chapter wasn't about blowing people away with stunning art, the chapter was centered around the running joke that Annie/Mort were seeing something different than Kat was, and coming at it from the "breathtaking" perspective takes the attention away from the dialogue. If I'd complain about anything, it'd be that it didn't play up that angle enough (have Mort wax eloquent about the ROTD, make it really clear that Annie/Mort are picking their jaws up off the floor, etc.)

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Tenebrais posted:

So had Kat. She's pretty emotionally vulnerable.

Thank you for this. I didn't notice the comment about Blaine the Train on this page until I re-read that chapter just now. Made my evening.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Ironic Twist posted:

You seem to be putting a lot of weight on the visual component when that's only part of what makes this comic good.

The chapter wasn't about blowing people away with stunning art, the chapter was centered around the running joke that Annie/Mort were seeing something different than Kat was, and coming at it from the "breathtaking" perspective takes the attention away from the dialogue. If I'd complain about anything, it'd be that it didn't play up that angle enough (have Mort wax eloquent about the ROTD, make it really clear that Annie/Mort are picking their jaws up off the floor, etc.)

But the written part wasn't that good either and certainly not worth the cost of a more interesting perspective that would somehow steal the spotlight (having both is feasible, you know). Even now that we can read the whole chapter at once, it still feels poorly paced.
Just having better compositions - while keeping the Kat-centric point of view - would have, at the very least, made the dull plot more palatable. As it is, this chapter failed on both accounts.

I understand the intent, but the joke died long before we made it through the fourteen (!) pages between the setup and the punchline. Thank God he didn't stretch it any longer with more gasps and raised eyebrows.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ironic Twist posted:

If I'd complain about anything, it'd be that it didn't play up that angle enough (have Mort wax eloquent about the ROTD, make it really clear that Annie/Mort are picking their jaws up off the floor, etc.)

I felt it worked better by having you realize as things went on that Annie/Mort were seeing something a lot grander then Kat. There's been moments before when someplace important has been a bit goofy, and you start off thinking it's the case here too. If it was more obvious at the start it would have lost something, in my opinion.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Regy Rusty posted:

Hettie was still cool and I'm still happy with my avatar, however minor a character she may have been.

Hettie being a stand-in for impatient fans going "Let's get on with the plot already!" on this page made the character completely worth it.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Potsticker posted:

The Hettie story had a really terrible payoff and the chapter was not very well written or plotted when all was said and done.

I actually kind of liked that chapter. It wasn't the most actiony chapter but it showed a lot about Rey's personal growth since the start of the comic.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Razorwired posted:

Hettie being a stand-in for impatient fans going "Let's get on with the plot already!" on this page made the character completely worth it.

SIIIIGH

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Razorwired posted:

I never noticed that she's even standing directly outside the comic itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

seravid posted:

You thought this chapter was interesting? Which part? Legitimately curious.
All of it? I liked the cheap Halloween theme. It was a lot more original than breathtaking sights of Cyclopean temples as for a treatment of a Realm of the Dead, and was perfectly consistent with Mort's appearance as a bed sheet phantom so it made sense in-universe. It led to some sight gags and really I didn't feel it took that long. The ROTD pages before getting to the point where the final records are consulted?
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1303 - the door scene
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1304 - entrance
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1305 - credentials
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1306 - verification bat
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1307 - exploring
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1308 - the library
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1309 - moving on
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1310 - what kinda scam?
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1311 - final records
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1312 - chat
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1313 - life of the party
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1314 - mindblowing
Honestly, which one could be skipped over, or condensed in a shorter way? Door scene and entrance are necessary to provide the mood of what follows and it'd feel rushed and mundane if the characters didn't properly appreciate their surroundings first. Credentials is an important reveal. If you want to remove the bat scene, you are a bad person. Exploring is already as condensed as could be, and a "breathtaking vistas" rendition of the ROTD would have required making it last for several pages. Library to scam was necessary to switch Kat's mood from amused to annoyed, and it only took a week of updates. Then we get to final records, get some more exposition about psychopomps, and after that we get what Annie and Kat went to find in the first place.

seravid posted:

And the bonus page showing Kat's point of view would (in theory) prevent Mary Sue accusations.

No since it would arrive after the battle is over.