Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

bhsman posted:

Good, gently caress those decks. :colbert:

Azorius Control is dead, Murdergoats lives, and Anarchy Reigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Alaan posted:

Don't be that relieved. They aren't anywhere near as major players. I don't think Rev sees play in any major legacy deck and it's certainly not a modern staple. It's usable, but it's significantly worse than in standard because modern is a much faster format.

To clarify sphinx's revelation is a 2-of in one deck.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Count Bleck posted:

Azorius Control is dead, Murdergoats lives, and Anarchy Reigns.

Not even MG.dec; those decks and their variants were the only things that won FNM for a period of, like, two months straight during INN-RtR and all by the same group of players and they were all entirely unfun to play against. Show me where they will be buried and I'll come piss on the grave.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Control deck master race control mirror game of kings.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I keep wanting to make a modern deck that can do the following play to metagame the overuse of fetches: Reveal Chancellor of the Tangle for G on first main phase, Forest, Wall of Roots, Root Maze. Then eventually Plow Under. I am a bad player and it's not a good idea but I continue to obsess about this line of play.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

Tharizdun posted:

If you have a Satyr Firedrinker out, you go to the dome and get the two-for-one. Absent that, keeping threats off the opponent's board is crucial to your dudes getting in more than 1 hit, especially in the age of Devotion decks getting their count up enough to make Gary backbreaking.

I would also say Goblin Shortcutter is better than Riot Piker, because he lets your guys get through. I'd also replace some number of Shocks (probably all of them) with Electrickery or Dynacharge because Sylvan Caryatid just ruins your day forever. Dynacharge will also let you randomly win the game sometimes, though it's a terrible topdeck.

Chorocojo posted:

You're right, it's very situational and really the best way is to just play and figure it out through experience. A Frostburn Weird that can get through multiple turns is usually worth more than the 2 damage the Shock that killed their blocker. The trick is identifying what is genuinely a threat. A 1/1 is not usually a valid concern if you've got a 2/2 Rakdos Cackler that is going through every turn.

If a creature is giving your opponent cards, a repeatable source of non-combat damage or has the potential to get big (Heroic, etc). It is good to consider offing them when you can. Sometimes, though, the correct answer is to go straight for their face with the burn spells. Go figure.

A big thing is timing. Your instant-speed burn should typically be done on the end of an opponent's turn when able, in response to your opponent targeting their own things.

But poo poo if you have a Satyr Firedancer out go all out. That dude owns.

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to have to mess around with it. Would really like to play red/white devo eventually but drat the price of Sacred Foundry and Stormbreath Dragon....

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(
What can I expect in mtgo standard constructed tournaments? Skillwise.
I've been playing for some weeks (I don't have a top tier deck) in the "just for fun" area and I'm doing ok I guess, some wins and some loses and I've played against seem to be pretty competitive decks.

Will I just be throwing my tickets away? Should I wait and get better cards + more game time?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

I know but Root Maze costs 1 less. But it is a better card. As is Blood Moon.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

HolaMundo posted:

I've been playing for some weeks (I don't have a top tier deck) in the "just for fun" area and I'm doing ok I guess, some wins and some loses and I've played against seem to be pretty competitive decks.

Will I just be throwing my tickets away? Should I wait and get better cards + more game time?

If you don't have an actual deck that would be viable for winning a tournament yeah you'd just be wasting your tickets. Normally block constructed is a cheap way to get into constructed but that Naya block deck is really stupidly expensive. If you're willing to fork over the cash to build actual tier 1 decks though you should jump in to constructed tournaments, some grinders and pros play in them and are very good but it's nothing you should worry about.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

bhsman posted:

Not even MG.dec; those decks and their variants were the only things that won FNM for a period of, like, two months straight during INN-RtR and all by the same group of players and they were all entirely unfun to play against. Show me where they will be buried and I'll come piss on the grave.

I'm sorry that my definition of fun doesn't involve bad cards like Tymaret or Purphoros. There's nothing wrong with playing a good control deck and U/W sits in its rightful place as the arbiter that keeps devotion decks from doing silly things. Also U/W control prevented the spiral nemesis.

The control mirror is only slow because people choose to play slow :colbert:.

If WotC isn't going to put noninteractive combos in standard then by golly I need some other way to never do creature combat!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Zoness posted:

If WotC isn't going to put noninteractive combos in standard then by golly I need some other way to never do creature combat!

It's not enough. We still have to swing with tokens or Aetherling sometimes. We need Drownyard back.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

If you plan on attending GP Richmond, pre-register now if you haven't already. They're capping attendance at 5000 and will probably hit that before Friday.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zoness posted:

I'm sorry that my definition of fun doesn't involve bad cards like Tymaret or Purphoros. There's nothing wrong with playing a good control deck and U/W sits in its rightful place as the arbiter that keeps devotion decks from doing silly things.

I wouldn't mind except that those decks are still hanging around months after rotation, but at least they aren't exerting a Delver-like grip on the format.

quote:

Also U/W control prevented the spiral nemesis.

And we all know how well that turned out, eh? :smugdog:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's not enough. We still have to swing with tokens or Aetherling sometimes. We need Drownyard back.

U/W Codex Shredder is one of the most durdle of all win conditions in control history. I wouldn't play it if you want to win, but if you're feeling vengeful towards people who whine constantly about control I'd sleeve it up.

bhsman posted:

I wouldn't mind except that those decks are still hanging around months after rotation, but at least they aren't exerting a Delver-like grip on the format

Actual genuine control decks haven't been good in a really long time.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

HolaMundo posted:

The players on Magic Online are more skilled then average. In a Daily event, you will see players and decks like those you would find in the 3-0 bracket at a Grand Prix.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

Actual genuine control decks haven't been good in a really long time.

U/W in current standard isn't as much of a tapout list as the tapout list from ala-zen with Mind Spring, JTMS, and Gideon. It's no draw-go list, but U/B teachings hasn't been a thing in a long time.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

HolaMundo posted:

Never let the decks you see in the free play rooms set your expectations for what you'll play against in a tournament. People play some bizarre poo poo they'd never touch if 'money' was on the line. In this regard, there's very little real difference between the "Just For Fun" and "Tournament Practice" rooms.

Your expectation for an MTGO tournament should be that every round you'll be playing against something capable of winning FNM, piloted by an above average player. If something/somebody worse shows up, that's great.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
Not trying to sound old, but it still amazed me that after the affinity debacle they never banned Jitte.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

jhorphear posted:

Not trying to sound old, but it still amazed me that after the affinity debacle they never banned Jitte.

But Jitte is banned in Modern? I couldn't tell you when that happened though, to be fair. Or do you mean banned in then-Standard?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Apparently, in the great creature type update, this guy got rebranded as a cat soldier. It's pretty clearly an ape, though... :wtc:

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
It has really weird proportions, but that's certainly an attempted lion mouth.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

jhorphear posted:

The legend rule was different then, you could kill Jitte pretty easily just by playing your own. Also, it was in a Precon for $11, which helped its price a lot, so while it was still oppressive and unfun, at least it wasn't a $100 card.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Tharizdun posted:

The legend rule was different then, you could kill Jitte pretty easily just by playing your own.

Which actually made Jitte even more oppressive because even people who weren't interested in using it were still playing it just to kill any the opponent played.

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 5, 2014

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

redstormpopcorn posted:

It has really weird proportions, but that's certainly an attempted lion mouth.

Maybe it's both, but that's almost completely a gorilla with a muzzle. Look at the hand.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Question about Supreme Verdict: The text of the card says it can't be countered. Does this mean you just can't play a card that says "counter target spell or is it killing your permanents period dot? Can you play a Boros Charm and make your permanents indestructible in response to this?

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

theironjef posted:

Maybe it's both, but that's almost completely a gorilla with a muzzle. Look at the hand.

I think it's more just a really awkward way of turning a feline paw humanoid. Just extended the phalanges beyond sensible proportion.

That or it's actually some magical gorilla-kitty and they were just less willing to make a triple-tribal "Cat Ape Soldier."

Alaan
May 24, 2005

morning wood posted:

Question about Supreme Verdict: The text of the card says it can't be countered. Does this mean you just can't play a card that says "counter target spell or is it killing your permanents period dot? Can you play a Boros Charm and make your permanents indestructible in response to this?

Effects that say "Counter target spell" can't do anything vs it. Boros Charm will stop it just fine because indestructible creatures can't be destroyed.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

morning wood posted:

This works. You're not countering it in game terms, you're sidestepping the effect.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

redstormpopcorn posted:

I think it's more just a really awkward way of turning a feline paw humanoid. Just extended the phalanges beyond sensible proportion.

That or it's actually some magical gorilla-kitty and they were just less willing to make a triple-tribal "Cat Ape Soldier."

Based on careful observation, I can now safely say this is a Cat Ape Bird Soldier. Here's my proof.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Rules question:

Does a spell like Turn // Burn count as one or two spells for the purpose of totaling Spellheart Chimera's power?

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
One.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Alaan posted:

Effects that say "Counter target spell" can't do anything vs it. Boros Charm will stop it just fine because indestructible creatures can't be destroyed.

Notably, you can still target Supreme Verdict, so you could, for instance, Remand it to cycle for a card, or play Swan Song on your own verdict to put a Bird into play which will promptly die, but maybe you have a Soul Net and an Sanguine Bond out with the opponent at 1.

I always wanted them to give instants Shroud instead of saying they couldn't be countered.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Can you point me to the relevant ruling? I'm looking at this ruling for split cards:

708.5. An effect that asks for a particular characteristic of a split card while it’s in a zone other than the stack gets two answers (one for each of the split card’s two halves).

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Tharizdun posted:

Notably, you can still target Supreme Verdict, so you could, for instance, Remand it to cycle for a card, or play Swan Song on your own verdict to put a Bird into play which will promptly die, but maybe you have a Soul Net and an Sanguine Bond out with the opponent at 1.

I always wanted them to give instants Shroud instead of saying they couldn't be countered.

When playing a silly Bant control deck I used a Plasm Capture to cast a t4 Aetherling with counter backup. It's not exactly a relevant or likely to occur scenario but Plasm Capture on Verdict is a fun thing.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Can you point me to the relevant ruling? I'm looking at this ruling for split cards:

708.5. An effect that asks for a particular characteristic of a split card while it’s in a zone other than the stack gets two answers (one for each of the split card’s two halves).

708.4. Although split cards have two castable halves, each split card is only one card. For example, a player who has drawn or discarded a split card has drawn or discarded one card, not two.

Spellheart Chimera is looking for Instant or Sorcery cards and therefore only sees one card.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dungeon Ecology posted:

But no particular characteristic is being asked, just "how many physical pieces of cardboard are in the 'yard ('cards'). The answer to that is "one"

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 5, 2014

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Dungeon Ecology posted:

That ruling talks about when another card is checking a "particular characteristic of a split card," which would be something like converted mana cost, or color. You draw Turn//Burn off of Dark Confidant, Confidant checks for its converted mana cost and gets back two answers, 3 and 2. In that case, you add the two and lose 5 life. But for anything that counts cards like Chimera, a split card is still just a single card.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Spellheart counts the number of instant or sorcery cards in your graveyard. I can't think of an instance where a split card is ever considered more than one card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Promoted Pawn posted:

So now Fracturing Gust (2 G/W G/W G/W-Instant-Destroy all artifacts and enchantments. Gain 2 life for each thing destroyed) is $15 after a buyout. Considering the only deck that uses it (Scapeshift) only wants one copy in the sideboard, the only thing that could conceivably prop up this spike is EDH demand. I'd sell into the spike if you have any.

Edit: Also SCG is now buying Misty Rainforest and Scalding Tarn at $70. ZEN fetches are going up again soon.

Bit late, but Fracturing Gust is used in the MonoG devotion modern deck instead of Creeping Corrosion in some builds.

• Locked thread