Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Can you point me to the relevant ruling? I'm looking at this ruling for split cards:

708.5. An effect that asks for a particular characteristic of a split card while it’s in a zone other than the stack gets two answers (one for each of the split card’s two halves).

That's referring to something like Dark Confidant or a Cascade effect. So for example, Dark Confidant will hit you for 5 if you flip a Far/Away, and a 3-CC Cascade card could cast Far OR Away even though Away casts 3. This is notably hilarious when you flip Boom (CC2) and cast Bust (CC6?) to destroy all lands.

Also, you could Inquisition of Kozilek Boom/Bust because one half of the card costs 3 or less.

Split cards are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
Is there a decent podcast that talks about Legacy and Modern gameplay and deckbuilding?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

A big flaming stink posted:

Bit late, but Fracturing Gust is used in the MonoG devotion modern deck instead of Creeping Corrosion in some builds.

I think it's much more likely the spike is coming from someone making a big bet on it being a breakout card at Richmond for some reason.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Agentdark posted:

Is there a decent podcast that talks about Legacy and Modern gameplay and deckbuilding?

This is also relevant to my interests.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Agentdark posted:

ScarletBrother posted:

This is also relevant to my interests.

http://www.eternalcentral.com/author/everydayeternalpodcast/

These guys talk legacy a lot. Maybe not your perfect hing, but I find them hilarious.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Promoted Pawn posted:

I think it's much more likely the spike is coming from someone making a big bet on it being a breakout card at Richmond for some reason.

For what it's worth, also, Kibler also had 2 in the sideboard of his Big Zoo deck for the PT, and he just posted a video series for the deck yesterday on SCG. Given how every breath he utters seems to rock the MTG universe to its core lately, I could see some overzealous viewer of his being responsible.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

So at the end of the month, my LGS is going to be hosting a 2-Headed Giant Commander tournament. Prizes will be either a box or rare foils like Wurmcoil Engine rarity.

The girlfriend and I are thinking of doubling up on Nekusar because we hate the idea of fun. :colbert:

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Deckit posted:

So at the end of the month, my LGS is going to be hosting a 2-Headed Giant Commander tournament. Prizes will be either a box or rare foils like Wurmcoil Engine rarity.

The girlfriend and I are thinking of doubling up on Nekusar because we hate the idea of fun. :colbert:

You gotta play Skullbriar and Vendilion clique. Skullbriar is every 2-3 mana land destruction spell, tutor, and card draw spell in black, to find Crucible of Worlds, Life fromt he Loam and Exploration/Azusa Lost but Seeking/other explore effects. Then you find your strip mine. And stripmine the opponents 4-5 times a turn every turn past turn 4. Meanwhile Vendilion Clique just has 45 counterspells and lands. No way you can lose!

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

MiddleEastBeast posted:

For what it's worth, also, Kibler also had 2 in the sideboard of his Big Zoo deck for the PT, and he just posted a video series for the deck yesterday on SCG. Given how every breath he utters seems to rock the MTG universe to its core lately, I could see some overzealous viewer of his being responsible.

Fair enough, I was unaware of this. Mystery solved.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Deckit posted:

Abuse the absolute poo poo out of deadeye navigator and any ETB effects you can get. poo poo like faceless butcher can be abused to exile stuff permanently (the o-ring trick), etc.

Mesmeric fiend can use the same trick to exile cards from someone's hand forever. Really, just abuse it as hard as you can.

Disciple of Phenax, bone shredder, grey merchant, the list goes on and on. And this is just in black. Red gives you flametongue kavu and avalanche riders, blue gets you palinchron to power all your shenanigans. Click here for an exhausting list of creatures to abuse. (Assuming you are sticking with Nekusar colors.)

E: Having looked at the list, things like Liliana's specter and Massacre Wurm look really fun, and affect both of your opponents. In a 2HG game effects that work for each opponent are better than single targets. The primordials, etc.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 5, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Olothreutes posted:

Abuse the absolute poo poo out of deadeye navigator and any ETB effects you can get.

This, forever. Nearly every competitive Commander event I've done was won by rapid-blinking something like Sylvan Primordial or Woodfall Primus with Navigator.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Playing the UW prison deck with actual people for the first time reminded me why I don't like competitive magic. :smith:

I was super tired coming straight from work and I missed a chalice trigger against zoo. Keep in mind this was just for fun, not an actual match with any reward other than magic e-peen. I just kinda looked at the guy and said "Really? Oh okay..." and he got pretty angry and started saying "If this were an actual match you'd be destroyed with that kind of play." And then I won the match :shrug:

Another guy was playing splinter twin against me as I dropped my third suppression field. He says "Who the gently caress runs this deck? Did you come up with it?" I say "No some streamer did, I just liked the idea." "Probably some nobody human being I've never heard of." And then I won the match :shrug:

I like magic but I loving hate the players.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Mortimer posted:

Playing the UW prison deck with actual people for the first time reminded me why I don't like competitive magic. :smith:

I was super tired coming straight from work and I missed a chalice trigger against zoo. Keep in mind this was just for fun, not an actual match with any reward other than magic e-peen. I just kinda looked at the guy and said "Really? Oh okay..." and he got pretty angry and started saying "If this were an actual match you'd be destroyed with that kind of play." And then I won the match :shrug:

Another guy was playing splinter twin against me as I dropped my third suppression field. He says "Who the gently caress runs this deck? Did you come up with it?" I say "No some streamer did, I just liked the idea." "Probably some nobody human being I've never heard of." And then I won the match :shrug:

Sounds like you play with some real shitheads.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Call the judge on someone who's dropping fagbombs on people in random tournament matches. That poo poo shouldn't fly.

e: unless I misread your post and none of it was in a tournament, just pickup games.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Mortimer posted:

Any other people you can find to play Modern with? Any other shops?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

What a Judas posted:

Sounds like you play with some real shitheads.

Yeah seriously. Drink those tears with satisfaction, Mortimer.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

JerryLee posted:

Call the judge on someone who's dropping fagbombs on people in random tournament matches. That poo poo shouldn't fly.

e: unless I misread your post and none of it was in a tournament, just pickup games.

In a tournament setting, you have the benefit of both publicly shaming a homophobe but also probably tilting them a bit.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I played with a guy today wearing a fedora with steampunk goggles wrapped around the top.

Someone post a good modern prison build. Is there a good one thats monowhite? Sounds fun but dont feel like shelling out for fetches for a second modern deck.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Boxn posted:

Any other people you can find to play Modern with? Any other shops?

Yeah, echoing this. I would not play test with these people.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I understand getting tilted over mana screw/flood or just poor luck, but I never understood why rogue decks tilt people so much.

I always enjoy it when I see rarely-used cards making an impact, or new breakout combos, even when I'm losing to them. I guess it figures that someone who's so resistant to new ideas would also be a homophobic turd.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Someone post a good modern prison build. Is there a good one thats monowhite? Sounds fun but dont feel like shelling out for fetches for a second modern deck.

Travis Woo was trying out some weird mono-white control deck a little less than a month ago, but I don't know the details of it.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
I never understood why people get angry when playing magic. I like the post above, I love seeing broken combos, it let's me see cards I might not know about. I am really fortunate that I've always had a really good group of guys in the competitive scene where I live. The casuals on the other hand are almost insufferable.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I understand getting tilted over mana screw/flood or just poor luck, but I never understood why rogue decks tilt people so much.

The same reason its annoying and infuriating when your little brother just tries to crash into you over and over in Gran Turismo instead of trying to race. He's not trying to win, just having fun his own way, and if you don't have the ability to understand that and view things from another perspective its going to feel very much like he's explicitly out to ruin your fun instead of just exploring the game on his own.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
So, they've announced what Clash Packs are:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1443

quote:

First off, let me clarify one thing: Clash Packs are not replacing Event Decks; instead, Clash Packs will alternate with the Event Deck, meaning that you'll see a Clash Pack for Magic 2015 , and an Event Deck for "Huey." The Clash Pack will then return in "Dewey."

A two-player product, the Clash Pack contains two sixty-card decks designed to be played against each other. It's a great way to introduce new players to Magic. And it also comes with six premium foil cards with alternative art.

So what happens when your friend is ready for the next level? Well, the Clash Pack comes with instructions that show you how to combine cards from each of its decks to create a new deck designed to be equal in power to what you would expect from an Event Deck. But this is only one combination. There are countless ways to make a deck your own.

Contents:

Two ready-to-play sixty-card decks
Six premium cards with alternative art
Deck box
Strategy insert
Magic rules reference card

MSRP: $24.99
Languages: English, Japanese, French, German, and Chinese (Simplified)

Makes sense they'd pair it with the core set.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I always enjoy it when I see rarely-used cards making an impact, or new breakout combos, even when I'm losing to them. I guess it figures that someone who's so resistant to new ideas would also be a homophobic turd.

Yeah, having to read a couple of an opponent's cards is a good way to put me personally on the fast track to enjoying a match. I guess some people can't abide the indignity of playing against - or god forbid, losing against - something that isn't a "real" deck.

EDIT: I see what Stinky Pit's getting at with the Gran Turismo reference, but I suppose I've been lucky that most unorthodox brews I play against have been people making honest efforts at winning with unusual cards/decks, rather than "did this all for a laugh" stuff they don't believe in.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 5, 2014

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
At Game Day, I went 0-2 against a kid running mono red without sleeves on his cards, and a small piece of me felt embarrassed, but he made all the right plays and didn't miss any triggers, so I've no one to blame but my hesitant-to-mulligan self.

Game 2: I gary'd for 6, bought myself up to 11 and swung with Erebos to knock him to 5, then he hard cast lava axe to my face, firedancer triggered, redirected to gary (my only blocker) and swung in for exactsies. It was a mixed bag of emotions.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Personally, I'm ecstatic whenever I play against a deck that isn't a known archetype in Standard. If I lost to something like Possibility Storm I'd sincerely congratulate the other guy for running it.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Hopping Ghost posted:

EDIT: I see what Stinky Pit's getting at with the Gran Turismo reference, but I suppose I've been lucky that most unorthodox brews I play against have been people making honest efforts at winning with unusual cards/decks, rather than "did this all for a laugh" stuff they don't believe in.

Don't get me wrong its still a big problem that those people can't take their disappointment and manage it like reasonable adults but from their perspective its easy to see why they are frustrated. I've been there, taking a two hour trip to a tournament and losing round 1 to some pile of total jank that has perfect tech for your deck but scoops to literally anything else, that guy then loses his next two rounds and drops crushing your tie-breakers and you get to spend the day watching your friends make Top 8 with your list.

Luckily I had a little sister to ram video game cars into me repeatedly and teach me that not everyone is going to enjoy things in the same ways I do. These days when I lose to some crazy brew at FNM I get a big laugh but its still frustrating to make an honest run at winning a tournament and losing to something you couldn't possibly expect, shouldn't prepare for, and will probably never see again.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Stinky Pit posted:

Don't get me wrong its still a big problem that those people can't take their disappointment and manage it like reasonable adults but from their perspective its easy to see why they are frustrated. I've been there, taking a two hour trip to a tournament and losing round 1 to some pile of total jank that has perfect tech for your deck but scoops to literally anything else, that guy then loses his next two rounds and drops crushing your tie-breakers and you get to spend the day watching your friends make Top 8 with your list.

Luckily I had a little sister to ram video game cars into me repeatedly and teach me that not everyone is going to enjoy things in the same ways I do. These days when I lose to some crazy brew at FNM I get a big laugh but its still frustrating to make an honest run at winning a tournament and losing to something you couldn't possibly expect, shouldn't prepare for, and will probably never see again.

On the flip side to this, the guys that annoy me are the ones who get genuinely angry that their pet deck lost horribly.

There's one guy in my shop who is just....so incredibly odd. I THINK he's in his 30s, but he behaves a lot like an awkward teenager. He always brings a random deck to both Standard and Modern, and he's always shaking with rage by round 3. Once he finally snapped and went off on a rant about how it's bullshit that everyone else needs to play with the same expensive cards and how it's not fair to people like him who think every card could be playable if they would just stop all conspiring to play the same cards no one can afford. Or something like that.

His wife came in to do damage control and took him away. Everything about her body language said this happens quite often.

Don't get me wrong, I am ALL for brewing on your own and hate pure netdecking, but set your expectations accordingly.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I played with a guy today wearing a fedora with steampunk goggles wrapped around the top.

You could ask Dissolution_of_eternity, he used to have a monowhite build, and IIRC the WU build runs no fetches because of Suppression Field, so you'd be better off playing the WU one.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

So in looking at the list of creatures that can be abused with deadeye navigator I've come upon a question. What happens if you cast a creature with a kicker, then flicker it with the navigator? Does the creature remember that it got kicked in its previous casting? My gut says no, it's a new game object and I'm not choosing any alternate or additional costs as it comes into play, but I'd like to be sure.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Olothreutes posted:

So in looking at the list of creatures that can be abused with deadeye navigator I've come upon a question. What happens if you cast a creature with a kicker, then flicker it with the navigator? Does the creature remember that it got kicked in its previous casting? My gut says no, it's a new game object and I'm not choosing any alternate or additional costs as it comes into play, but I'd like to be sure.

Kicker costs/effects only apply/occur when you cast them, since Kicker is an optional casting cost.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Olothreutes posted:

Your gut is correct.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Olothreutes posted:

It doesn't remember, but look on the bright side (the bright side in this case is Evoke).

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Flickering your permanent is just taking it for a quick dip in the aether, washing off all that battlefield clutter.
It comes back shiny and new.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Flickering your permanent is just taking it for a quick dip in the aether, washing off all that battlefield clutter.
It comes back shiny and new.

Note to self: counterfeiting no longer most profitable option to raise money from Magic. Card collection can be turned foil and near mint by judicious use of Flicker.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Tuesday Night Standard was pretty okay. Ran Mono U.

Round 1: vs GW Angelic Accord - Sweaty Anime Sleeves Guy decided to bring this and do the weirdest poo poo, involving dropping Alive and Well and Elixir of Immortality just for single Accord Triggers (that's not how Angelic Accord works, buddy), 2-1'd him after game two making me feel really embarrassed when he just swung in for 8 and I had no way to handle that with two Tidebinder Mages and a 0/1 Cloudfin Raptor.

Also, he made comments about how Archangel of Thune (my playmat, specifically) was totally bangable. :geno:

Round 2: vs BW Bestow, a deck I really want to try out. Piloted by the Store's Co-Owner and relatively Chill Guy.
We race each other in games 1 and 2, each taking a win, game 3 he land screws and I feel like poo poo despite winning. Didn't know what to say but he's cool with it. Love that guy.

Round 3: vs Mono U - gently caress MIRRORS.
Get absolutely blown out by this guy and go 0-2, despite his inexperience with the matchup, mine was worse. Where I boarded out Tidebinders, he kept them in and I felt the lovely sting of a useless Frostburn Weird. Managed to keep his Thassas out while mine got Gainsay'd.

Round 4: vs Izzet Counterburn. Another 2-1, Game 1 was me being way too fast for him, churning out turn 6 Thassa that gets countered into another Thassa and has my Cloudfins sitting pretty at 3/4, sitting pretty and swinging hard with no reaction from him. Made me wonder why he turn 2 Mortared my Judge's Familiar :wtc:
Game 2 he swarms me with Young Pyromancer Tokens and I have some lovely 0/1 cloudfins, drop Master of Waves, and after a brief discussion of how Turn and Burn when fused is Blue and Red and that neither can target, he just turns and Strikes it and I get blown out anyway :sigh:
Game 3, The Dream Hand, the Dream Drops, 7 Elementals on Turn 4 and takes it on turn 5.

Round 5: vs Boredom - I watch a guy punt multiple times on my right and on my left a guy punt multiple times, this time in Hearthstone.

Top 8, Quarterfinals - GUY FROM ROUND 3. gently caress MIRRORS. :argh: 0-2 Again.

Get my Pack, it's Brimaz. Welp. Buy a Gatecrash because why not, Sacred Foundry. Sure.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

Also, he made comments about how Archangel of Thune (my playmat, specifically) was totally bangable. :geno:

:ughh:

As if he has any frame of reference.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

:ughh:

As if he has any frame of reference.

I should also probably mention his tokens were sleeved up in big breasted purple anime women.

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Boxn posted:

You could ask Dissolution_of_eternity, he used to have a monowhite build, and IIRC the WU build runs no fetches because of Suppression Field, so you'd be better off playing the WU one.

Yeah that's the one I was running. Suppression Field messed up a lot of people's days.

The people at the store aren't *nearly* so toxic as those few the months I've played there, it's just the upcoming GP puts these grinders on edge. I poo poo you not, two people playing twin played each other for three hours straight. I think part of it is people get mad when you're running "fringy bullshit that won't help ME practice".

Who's all going to Richmond? There's a good chance none of my group is playing modern there for some reason, wondered if anyone else wanted to not-play-magic in between rounds.

• Locked thread