Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Shadowmorn posted:

If anything else, Mojang will fill that void in time.

That's true, EVENTUALLY the API will be finished. It will just take forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
It may just give us one really, really good version with good versions of all of the mods coming out due to an inability to update for awhile, which is fine.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's this Curse thing I keep hearing about? I missed whatever it was but given how awful Curse is it can't be good.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Roland Jones posted:

What's this Curse thing I keep hearing about? I missed whatever it was but given how awful Curse is it can't be good.

Feed The Beast is now a part of Curse.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Carados posted:

That's because Curse has no taste.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I'd like to see mod authors be able to just devote a lot of time to finishing, tweaking, polishing, and fixing their mods - having to spend weeks to a month updating every three months is kind of a huge drain on time.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

Gerdalti posted:

The pack itself is pretty rough on the server hosting it. It has a lot of "spawn lots of mobs" and "farm lots of mobs" type things going on. It's also pretty crash prone.

This is true, but compared to most modpacks out there it's pretty light on. No chunkloaders for a start. No turtles either. No real call for huge power generation and ore processing facilities (since ores are common as hell). All modpacks have the big farming setups. And I'm assuming the crashes are on the decrease as it gets patched. Certainly lag is an issue for PvP, but it's an issue for all Minecraft servers, because players abandon servers with tick problems.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Vanmani posted:

This is true, but compared to most modpacks out there it's pretty light on. No chunkloaders for a start. No turtles either. No real call for huge power generation and ore processing facilities (since ores are common as hell). All modpacks have the big farming setups. And I'm assuming the crashes are on the decrease as it gets patched. Certainly lag is an issue for PvP, but it's an issue for all Minecraft servers, because players abandon servers with tick problems.
Some of the mods in B-Team are really bad in SMP. Those huge facilities hardly put any load on servers compared to most of the mods in B-Team. You can have 1024 biofuel generators, the most ridiculous AE system imaginable with 10 quarries going and a few digital miners and a full ic2/gregtech setup and full mekanism ore processing, and it won't compare to what some of the b-team mods are doing with what should be trivial poo poo. My local smp server balloons to ridiculous amounts of ram and regularly maxes out a core. That doesn't really happen in packs like TPPI or NST when I run local servers, and I do far more things in those that people, even on these very forums, label spergishly as 'bad for servers' when they mostly mean 'bad for shared hosting servers with very limited resources compared to a dedicated machine'. B-Team will brutalize most server setups.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 5, 2014

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

bbcisdabomb posted:

It's more likely because MultiMC is an offline solution designed for individual use, while the Technic Platform is designed to distribute mods to others. I'm surprised you don't use MultiMC to build NST versions, it's really handy to have every single version at hand in case you need to go back for whatever reason.

I have the Technic launcher and Solder. If I need to go back a version, I just select the appropriate version from the dropdown. There's no need for me to have some other utility to build the modpack.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Senior Scarybagels posted:

To be fair, it's because they low balled the technic guys, who correctly told them to gently caress off.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

Khorne posted:

Some of the mods in B-Team are really bad in SMP. B-Team will brutalize most server setups.

Ah ok, that's an issue then. I guess the question becomes: which mods are the culprits?

I've just noticed there's a big deficiency of any genuinely decent PvP packs. The Mindcrack people have been mucking around with their new FTB pack and the idea seems sound, but I think their pack is a bit retarded for general use. Case in point: Nebris has already made a nuke factory after only a couple of weeks. You just need one player like that who decides to destroy the world and it's lights out on everyone's fun.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Carados posted:

I dunno, FTB and Curse are arguably perfect for each other. They're both terrible.

stabbington posted:

To be fair, it's because they low balled the technic guys, who correctly told them to gently caress off.

Of course Curse did. Is there a copy of the exchange, out of curiosity? I mean, last thing I saw Curse try and fail to buy (being the official Starbound wiki) led to some amazingly awful stuff (them harassing the guy who ran the official Starbound wiki and Tiy calling them out on it, if I recall correctly).

Edit: VV Thanks much. Will do.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 5, 2014

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kaker posted about it a while back. Look through his posts and you'll find it.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
This is probably a stupid question but looking around I can't seem to find the answer; is there a way to add offline modpacks for myself, I kinda wanna have multiple packs that are not premade and have them only locally.

Edit: I wanna clarify and say that I would rather use techniclauncher because its a lot easier to manage than the modern minecraft launcher.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

This is probably a stupid question but looking around I can't seem to find the answer; is there a way to add offline modpacks for myself, I kinda wanna have multiple packs that are not premade and have them only locally.

Edit: I wanna clarify and say that I would rather use techniclauncher because its a lot easier to manage than the modern minecraft launcher.

you can make your modpacks hidden, then only you will see them.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

mechaet posted:

you can make your modpacks hidden, then only you will see them.

Well the thing is, I just don't really want to go through the trouble of finding space to upload it, and really I just want to copy paste multiple copies of vanilla minecraft + forge in for the various versions of minecraft I want to play.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Well the thing is, I just don't really want to go through the trouble of finding space to upload it, and really I just want to copy paste multiple copies of vanilla minecraft + forge in for the various versions of minecraft I want to play.

It really sounds like you should just use multiMC.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

honestly, you may be better off, in that instance, using something more suited for that sort of thing, like MultiMC.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Shukaro posted:

It really sounds like you should just use multiMC.

Yeah I should, but I hate having like 5 (so far) launchers, oh well time to get MultiMC set up.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Yeah I should, but I hate having like 5 (so far) launchers, oh well time to get MultiMC set up.

What are you using other launchers for? There's really no reason to use anything besides Technic and MultiMC.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Taffer posted:

What are you using other launchers for? There's really no reason to use anything besides Technic and MultiMC.

mostly to play with some friends that use specific modpacks that aren't on Technic.

Edit: I should mention I am exaggerating I think I only have 4 launchers.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
I'm pretty much fine with mods being kept to 1.6.x in the foreseeable future.

By the way, has Wylker's pack upgraded to Mek6?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Danny Glands posted:

With Forge out for it, they've actually started the move to 1.7.2. Within the next month, I would guess that many will have updated.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Is there a way to get permission for having more then 3 modpacks on the technic platform? I run a small server for friends, with my own modpack. But others have also used my modpack in single player, and if I make world breaking changes, I have made a new modpack, since I don't want to break peoples games. I fix the server world myself, but I can't really help single player people.

And mod wish: A mod that will add a book to players like Tinkers do, both when starting new world, and first time they log in after mod updates. This book(s) will get the content from a .txt file in a subfolder in the config folder. So I can write messages to people using my modpack, like changelogs and warnings about what I broke this time. Do this exist or is it possible/hard?

My technic user, if anyone here is going to increase my limit: http://www.technicpack.net/user/view/129631

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Dunno-Lars posted:

Is there a way to get permission for having more then 3 modpacks on the technic platform? I run a small server for friends, with my own modpack. But others have also used my modpack in single player, and if I make world breaking changes, I have made a new modpack, since I don't want to break peoples games. I fix the server world myself, but I can't really help single player people.

And mod wish: A mod that will add a book to players like Tinkers do, both when starting new world, and first time they log in after mod updates. This book(s) will get the content from a .txt file in a subfolder in the config folder. So I can write messages to people using my modpack, like changelogs and warnings about what I broke this time. Do this exist or is it possible/hard?

My technic user, if anyone here is going to increase my limit: http://www.technicpack.net/user/view/129631

The Reddit modpack TPPI has a custom documentation system like that. Complete with commands for the player to spawn more books with more detailed docs. Maybe look into adapting it for your own needs? I don't know if that will work, but it was the first thing that popped into my head.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.

Danny Glands posted:

Yes I've updated. Use the latest version as opposed to the recommended version. Actually it's been pretty stable I may promote it to recommended.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
Hey Wylker, is there a server version for your pack? I checked the Technic page, and did some rudimentary Googling, but haven't found anything.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How do you connect item pipes to smeltery casting basins? I'm starting to poo poo out tons of clear glass from 10 drains, and I was hoping to avoid hopper hell.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How do you connect item pipes to smeltery casting basins? I'm starting to poo poo out tons of clear glass from 10 drains, and I was hoping to avoid hopper hell.

If you use TE itemducts to extract from them, you'll get the desired effect. (I don't know if you are already, but you can use fluiducts to pump from the drain(s) into the casting basins as well.)

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.

TheStampede posted:

Hey Wylker, is there a server version for your pack? I checked the Technic page, and did some rudimentary Googling, but haven't found anything.

Nah, I think you can basically use the whole thing on a server though. The only client side mod is invtweaks but I think it can run on a server now too. You'll want to tweak the configs probably because I think I don't have the server configs in the pack anymore.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Carados posted:

It may just give us one really, really good version with good versions of all of the mods coming out due to an inability to update for awhile, which is fine.

I decided a while ago to just stick with Minecraft 1.2.5 Singleplayer. I don't know what it is but it just runs way better than any client made after they got rid of the single player. All my favorite mods had their most stable versions there too. It's great I can work on my Custom Stuff 1 mod/Adventure Map at my own pace instead of getting bent out of shape updating it over and over.

Dunno-Lars posted:

Is there a way to get permission for having more then 3 modpacks on the technic platform?

Just make another account? They don't cost anything.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

m2pt5 posted:

If you use TE itemducts to extract from them, you'll get the desired effect. (I don't know if you are already, but you can use fluiducts to pump from the drain(s) into the casting basins as well.)
I had been trying the TE itemducts and got no love. The drains, with faucets, were pouring into basins next to them, and I was running the item ducts underneath. This wrapped around the outer perimeter into a chest. The ducts knew to connect to the basins. I tried changing the direction of the connections and couldn't get anything moving.

I didn't know about the fluiducts so I wonder if they have some neat perks. Can I have one drain going into multiple basins, and expect those basins to fill just as fast as having one drain to a basin? I have need for LOTS of clear glass blocks (thousands and thousands), so I want to maximize output. It's going decently fast with 3 sides worth all pouring with a computer strobing the faucets, but I see no reason to not jump the shark and speed it up ridiculously.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

RIP minecraft modding.

Hahaa

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I had been trying the TE itemducts and got no love. The drains, with faucets, were pouring into basins next to them, and I was running the item ducts underneath. This wrapped around the outer perimeter into a chest. The ducts knew to connect to the basins. I tried changing the direction of the connections and couldn't get anything moving.

I didn't know about the fluiducts so I wonder if they have some neat perks. Can I have one drain going into multiple basins, and expect those basins to fill just as fast as having one drain to a basin? I have need for LOTS of clear glass blocks (thousands and thousands), so I want to maximize output. It's going decently fast with 3 sides worth all pouring with a computer strobing the faucets, but I see no reason to not jump the shark and speed it up ridiculously.

Fluiducts pump out of smelteries way faster than faucets do, and you need to activate both types of ducts with redstone (or put a servo into it and flip it to not need redstone) for them to extract.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

m2pt5 posted:

Fluiducts pump out of smelteries way faster than faucets do, and you need to activate both types of ducts with redstone (or put a servo into it and flip it to not need redstone) for them to extract.

Only problem with Fluiducts is that the duct will hold fluid on its own, so if you try to use more than one drain at a time you may get incomplete blocks or tools. In fact it's virtually guaranteed. So you have to have something set up to ensure everything goes in one direction, like daisy-chaining basins, and then just be careful with casting.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

I've been experimenting with some of the mods from 1.6, since it seems like a lot of the smaller mods aren't giving a gently caress about 1.7 now that they know 1.8 is practically around the corner. This here screenshot is a set of ice mountains generated using the Terrain Control mod, in concert with Custom Stuff 2. The dirt and stone has been replaced by a custom "packed ice" block which has a snow-frosted top, thanks to Painterly.

I bumped up the ground level to y127 (had to add on Optifine to fix the cloud level), with biome-specific blocks down to y64. Here in the ice mountains biome, that means packed ice, but I'm using things like sandstone for deserts and so on. It also means I am working on introducing biome-specific resources. The ice mountains (and other frozen solid biomes, like the ice plains) will have their own specific icebound "ores". Currently there's a "frozen bones" block which drops bones, but I've got plans for other frozen resources.

The sandstone caves are kind of eerie looking, I think a more natural-looking sandstone texture than the one I am currently using might make them look better, which will probably help when it comes time to add in ores so they're not just endless winding tunnels full of skeletons. Still looking for a way to theme the mobs per biome, so I can have mummies instead of zombies, but I suppose that's not as important.

So far it's been a bit troublesome to define the blocks in one mod, and then implement them into worldgen with another. I hate to think how troublesome it'll be once I start trying to do anything more complicated than ore deposits and search/replace. But if nothing else it's a good proof of concept, I suppose.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Fuego Fish posted:

I've been experimenting with some of the mods from 1.6, since it seems like a lot of the smaller mods aren't giving a gently caress about 1.7 now that they know 1.8 is practically around the corner.

Not so sure about that. Jeb did a little Q&A on twitter this morning and said that there will be a 1.7.6 at the end of March (after they get back from GDC, which is over on March 21st) and that the earliest we will see the first non-snapshot version of 1.8 will not be till May, if not later, and that does not include 1.8.X versions until everything is more or less stable.

So modders are looking at 2-3 more months before a stable version of 1.8 at the earliest. Then there is the time it will take to get MCP out the door and then Forge updated. 1.8 seems to be another patch with massive internal rewrites (they have halted additional content for 1.8 being added to the snapshots for a month now because they are doing massive changes to the inventory api, the attribute system, UUID system which will be in the next snapshot, as well as rewriting how blocks are rendered, the devs have said that once the internal changes are done they have a ton of actual content additions to add and test) and while MCP may or may not come out in a more timely manner, with the mix-up with Forge now that CPW has left, I doubt if we will see Forge anytime soon. As a reminder the first version of 1.7 Forge came two months after 1.7.2's release and has only really become stable, from what I can tell, last month.

So with 1.8 coming out at the earliest in May, MCP updating, and Forge updating and becoming stable, we are looking at something like four-five months from now if things go well. maybe it is just me, but I really can't see mods not attempting to move to 1.7 during that time span. :v:

Enzer fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 5, 2014

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
May is only about two or three months away, so from the perspective of a modder, it still is practically around the corner. Two months of being "up to date" followed by yet another update invalidating your work seems, to me, like something of a mug's game. Especially since I see all these mod threads on the Minecraft forums making no mention of trying to become 1.7 compatible. Hell, there's mods out there still languishing in 1.5.

But I'm willing to concede you're probably right. I suppose my focus is a bit narrow because the mods I tend to go for are the user-customisable ones, of which there are about five. At most.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

McFrugal posted:

Only problem with Fluiducts is that the duct will hold fluid on its own, so if you try to use more than one drain at a time you may get incomplete blocks or tools. In fact it's virtually guaranteed. So you have to have something set up to ensure everything goes in one direction, like daisy-chaining basins, and then just be careful with casting.

The super simple solution to this, is to reverse the flow of the duct if fluid is stuck in it. Drains will accept fluid as readily as dispense it. Hit those ends with a wrench and watch your messy fluid spill go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
So, in TC4, Essentia Tubes are horrible now, and golems are still unreliable. What's a wizard to do? WHY, A WIZARD DOES SCIENCE!

First, I thought I'd set up furnaces to handle specific items. I had a short list of 7 items and was told to add wisp essence on to that. This was the result:

Such an intimidating snarl of tubes! Obviously, this is suboptimal, though cool-looking. I searched for a better solution. After messing with Buffers and Bellows I eventually came up with this basic design:

This setup only handles a handful of essentia types, but it does not care what you put in, and can be easily expanded! This is how it works:
The PRC has two circuits. The first is Square wave (timer) set to 40 ticks and set to output to White. The second is an Inverter, input set to White and output set to Orange.
The Furnace melts items, and the buffer, attached to a bellows, sucks them up no matter what they are. As a bonus, the buffer can hold 6 different types of essentia at once. Since the jars have more suction than the buffer, the jars will grab any matching essentia in the buffer.
The PRC turns off the bellows on the first buffer, and the second buffer's bellows turns on. This allows the second buffer to suck up any remaining essentia from the first buffer. It will not suck up any essentia that match the jars, because the jars have higher suction than the second buffer.
This continues on to the right, with directional tubes placed in to make sure essentia doesn't backtrack.

Keep in mind this is only a basic design. Fully extended with jars connected for all 50 aspects, you can burn ANYTHING to get ANY essentia you want. Filtered tubes are optional, but would be useful as labels so that you know what jars go where. Void Jars are important here because full regular jars have no suction. You could put down 3 essentia types per buffer instead of the 2 I have here, and there's nothing stopping you from putting down multiple jars for each essentia type, either. An alternative to the PRC is some other form of redstone clock and redstone torches. I expect it's even possible to do this with vanilla redstone.

Edit: NECESSARY CHANGES:
Put a directional tube pointing towards your void jars if they aren't attached to the tube directly adjacent to the buffer. Place Restriction Tubes along the path leading to the next buffer. This will ensure that full void jars don't fight the buffers' suction, and the next buffer will never have more suction than the void jar. This ensures that the void jars always try to pull from the buffers.
ALSO, the PRC is an inefficient method for setting up the pulses. A much simpler method is a sequencer and redstone torch setup, placed like so:

Make sure the sequencer has a long timer on it. Needs to be like 8 seconds. Buffers react slowly and can even glitch out and cause essentia to get stuck if the bellows is turned on/off too rapidly. This could be due to lag?

Lastly, Kiyanis discovered autonomous activators can use phials on jars, so you could use them to keep void jars (or any jars) empty, like so:

This allows for a more compact setup, since you no longer need both a restriction tube and directional tube between buffers. Sadly, the activators cannot shift-right-click on jars to empty them without phials. This picture is out of date, however. Export buses cannot be used to supply phials since the activators need an empty slot to put the filled phial in. Rationing pipes from Extra Utilities only place one stack, so you can use those to supply phials. Supplier Pipes from Logistics Pipes could work as well. Also, precision import buses can't import full phials for some reason, so you'll need to use itemducts that blacklist empty ones.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 7, 2014

• Locked thread