Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Good stuff.

Something I just discovered by accident - Option (Alt) plus a function key brings up the System Preferences for that function. So Option + Volume opens the Sound settings, Option + Display Brightness opens the Display settings, same for Mission Control and Keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

In general on OS X if you feel an application should be doing something more for you, try holding Option

I found out you could get a lot of detailed info about your Airport / Time Capsule if you hold Option while clicking Edit in Airport Utility. There are lots of things in the menubar that change when you hold Option too. It's pretty neat.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Option + Menubar volume is great for quickly switching input/output devices.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Caged posted:

Good stuff.

Something I just discovered by accident - Option (Alt) plus a function key brings up the System Preferences for that function. So Option + Volume opens the Sound settings, Option + Display Brightness opens the Display settings, same for Mission Control and Keyboard.

Now try Shift + Option and the same function keys — fine-tune options for things like brightness and volume.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Amazing. I've only had my rMBP since Saturday and I'm sure I'll be learning new things for a while.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

z06ck posted:

Amazing. I've only had my rMBP since Saturday and I'm sure I'll be learning new things for a while.

Dixie-Delete to delete a file

Shift-Dixie-Delete to clear your trash, add Option to override the prompt

Option-Dixie-Escape to force quit a misbehaving application

(by Dixie I mean Command, my friend used to call it Dixie because it does look like the symbol on Dixie cups and I found it funny)

When in doubt just add more modifiers to your command. Dixie-LeftArrow? "Home", or move cursor to start of line. Dixie-Shift-LeftArrow? Move cursor AND select text.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 4, 2014

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Here's a cool one- dixie option eject turns off the monitor.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It puts the computer to sleep. Control-Shift-Eject turns off the display(s). It's super convenient and every time I use Windows I wish it had something like that; the current sleep procedure is Charms Bar > Settings > Power > Sleep.

Also the semi-useless option and resize window (resizes from center) and less useless shift and resize window (preserves aspect ratio.) By their powers combined, option-shift-resize window resizes from center, preserving aspect ratio.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

I don't have an eject key, rightfully so considering there is no disc drive. What's the alternate?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Power.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Hah, I never knew that. Works even when you *do* have an eject key.

I do think they could do better to teach people about OS X keyboard commands, it's dreadful watching some of my friends navigate their computers sometimes. I've got all this poo poo on muscle memory and it may as well be magic to them.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Ha, that was lucky. I meant substitute power for eject, but it seems that just pressing power puts the computer to sleep. Although the "going right to sleep" behavior is new in Mavericks, before it used to display a dialog with buttons for Shut Down, Restart, and Sleep.

I always thought that dialog was interesting because it had been almost untouched from OS X 10.0 through to 10.8. RIP.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

carry on then posted:

Ha, that was lucky. I meant substitute power for eject, but it seems that just pressing power puts the computer to sleep. Although the "going right to sleep" behavior is new in Mavericks, before it used to display a dialog with buttons for Shut Down, Restart, and Sleep.

I always thought that dialog was interesting because it had been almost untouched from OS X 10.0 through to 10.8. RIP.

Power button by itself does nothing for me, just sayin.

Have to hold it apparently, never mind.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5869

^^ My power button does not act like this.

z06ck fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 4, 2014

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

No, no, I got what you meant. It's just that for me the "display sleep" and "computer sleep" shortcuts seem to behave identically; probably power settings or something like that, since when I'm mobile I have no problem actually shutting the lid and having it go to sleep. To explicitly put it to sleep when powered, I have to go Apple -> Sleep in the menu.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

z06ck posted:

Don't hold it too long, that's going to force the computer to power off and... well, likely nothing bad will happen, but cutting power like that is ingrained to feel icky for some of us. Disk write caching and all that.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

The 1.5 seconds puts it to sleep, that apple support page says I should get a popup at 1.5 seconds. Tapping does nothing, plugged in or not.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

OS X power behavior is weird. We had a discovery where you cannot set computer sleep and display sleep independently of each other on Haswell machines only. Now that I look at it they may have unified the mode altogether; maybe that's why you are seeing the same behavior for the sleep and display sleep keyboard shortcuts?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

z06ck posted:

The 1.5 seconds puts it to sleep, that apple support page says I should get a popup at 1.5 seconds. Tapping does nothing, plugged in or not.

Just mash keys until something happens. If you manage to use two hands to create a combo with like 6 keys that's probably a legit shortcut in some Apple app. ;-)

carry on then posted:

OS X power behavior is weird. We had a discovery where you cannot set computer sleep and display sleep independently of each other on Haswell machines only. Now that I look at it they may have unified the mode altogether; maybe that's why you are seeing the same behavior for the sleep and display sleep keyboard shortcuts?

Sandy Bridge. No idea. Don't really care, don't need to sleep when powered ... kills my IRC.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 4, 2014

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

carry on then posted:

Control shift power turns off display for me, confirmed this time as I played music in background. Holding power for 1.5 seconds certainly puts it to sleep.

Enough sleep talk, about to do the same.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

carry on then posted:

It puts the computer to sleep. Control-Shift-Eject turns off the display(s). It's super convenient and every time I use Windows I wish it had something like that; the current sleep procedure is Charms Bar > Settings > Power > Sleep.
I decided to figure this out and it's doable. Tested on 8.1 with hibernation disabled. Make a shortcut with target 'Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Sleep'. Go into its properties and make what ever shortcut key you want. Sorry for the windows talk, done now.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Running 10.9.2 on a Haswell rMBP 13...For some reason, my command-v shortcut does not work to paste things from the clipboard. Any ideas?

Welp, restarting fixed it.

fookolt fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 4, 2014

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Any recommendations for a simple "convert whatever video to a DVD with basic menus" tool? Something like ConvertXtoDVD, or maybe iDVD with Perian. There are a few things in the Mac App Store that claim to do this, but they all have terrible reviews and cost twenty bucks or more. I'm willing to spend a bit, but I'd rather not do so blindly if I can help it.

lua
Jun 16, 2013

z06ck posted:

Power button by itself does nothing for me, just sayin.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5869

^^ My power button does not act like this.

10.9.2 broke this on my 2010 Macbook. In 10.9.1, tapping power did send it to sleep, now it does nothing.

slogula
Oct 2, 2013
Does anybody have any opinions on the current state of/ options for zfs under OSX? I understand ZEVO is no longer under development, and I'm concerned about MacZFS's stability. I've been relying on journaled hfs+ atop two-member raid1's for data intake, and I'd like to make use of the data integrity and raid handling features that hfs lacks.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Question for the thread regulars: Say you had a mid-2007 iMac (this one) and you wanted to make sure a family member could get the most use out of it..

What version of OS X would you deem optimal for features/security/relevance vs. performance knowing that:

1) It's going to be a Facebook/email/web kiosk
2) Spare RAM is just sitting around waiting to find a new home in said iMac

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Mavericks. There aren't really severe losses of performance in OS versions after that iMac was released, and since Mavericks is free if you have Snow Leopard or higher I don't see any reason to stick around on an older version. Especially if you can give it 4 or more GB or RAM. Less than 4 and my answer would change, but hopefully that's not the case.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Anyone use Kuuva? I'm just curious, how is the resolution on the photos it uses?

I wanted to use bing but the resolution is pretty small and it looks horrible on a HD monitor.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

carry on then posted:

Mavericks. There aren't really severe losses of performance in OS versions after that iMac was released, and since Mavericks is free if you have Snow Leopard or higher I don't see any reason to stick around on an older version. Especially if you can give it 4 or more GB or RAM.
Thank you, that is just the response I'm looking for. I'm pleased to hear that performance loss is not much of an issue in general across OS X versions, even on a six year old system.

It currently has 1GB RAM, and officially supports 4GB, so I'm gonna pop that in (I have bags and bags of old RAM lying around).

Next question: Would having only 1 GB of RAM make a newer OS X version like Mavericks take hours and hours to install fresh?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Install? Probably not too bad. Use? Awful.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

lua posted:

10.9.2 broke this on my 2010 Macbook. In 10.9.1, tapping power did send it to sleep, now it does nothing.

It's me, I reported the new Mavericks power button behavior as a bug (because it's really easy to tap that key by mistake on many rMBP/Air keyboards when you're trying to hit delete). Someone at Apple listened. It was already filtering out extremely short taps, but in 10.9.2 they extended the duration a bit, so now you need to hold it down for maybe half a second to get the computer to sleep.

I still don't really like it, to be honest. If I want to sleep the computer I just close the drat lid. Far as I'm concerned, immediate sleep on button push is worthless and doomed to never do anything but annoy me.

I'm honestly curious if anyone loves this immediate-sleep feature, and whether the extra delay ruins it for you. Hope I didn't help screw you guys over, if you exist.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Tapedump posted:

Next question: Would having only 1 GB of RAM make a newer OS X version like Mavericks take hours and hours to install fresh?

Put in some RAM first. Mavericks requires a minimum of 2GB and I believe the installer enforces it.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

slogula posted:

Does anybody have any opinions on the current state of/ options for zfs under OSX? I understand ZEVO is no longer under development, and I'm concerned about MacZFS's stability. I've been relying on journaled hfs+ atop two-member raid1's for data intake, and I'd like to make use of the data integrity and raid handling features that hfs lacks.

You are right to be concerned. IMO, relying on developers outside Apple to deliver a high quality ZFS implementation is a bad idea.

That's not commentary on their competence, it's just that you probably need to be a member of Apple's kernel team to do the job right. The former Apple guy behind ZEVO (Don Brady I think?) was the best bet to do it as an outsider, but it's been three major Darwin releases and six or seven years since his ZFS port was cut from OS X. Lots of stuff inside the kernel has probably changed, Mac ZFS isn't his day job any more, he can't yell at other kernel engineers sitting in nearby cubes, and he doesn't have access to Radar bug reports these days. (Bug database access is really important for something like this...)

This is all worse for ZFS, in that it's a huge and complex code base that's notoriously difficult to port to operating systems which aren't Solaris. I'm sure there are people who have had good luck with one or more of the Mac ZFS implementations, but I wouldn't trust any of them. I've never heard of one which wasn't considered a kernel panic risk, not even the official one while Brady was at Apple -- it was very much work in progress when Apple pulled the plug.

slogula
Oct 2, 2013

BobHoward posted:

You are right to be concerned. IMO, relying on developers outside Apple to deliver a high quality ZFS implementation is a bad idea.

That's not commentary on their competence, it's just that you probably need to be a member of Apple's kernel team to do the job right. The former Apple guy behind ZEVO (Don Brady I think?) was the best bet to do it as an outsider, but it's been three major Darwin releases and six or seven years since his ZFS port was cut from OS X. Lots of stuff inside the kernel has probably changed, Mac ZFS isn't his day job any more, he can't yell at other kernel engineers sitting in nearby cubes, and he doesn't have access to Radar bug reports these days. (Bug database access is really important for something like this...)

This is all worse for ZFS, in that it's a huge and complex code base that's notoriously difficult to port to operating systems which aren't Solaris. I'm sure there are people who have had good luck with one or more of the Mac ZFS implementations, but I wouldn't trust any of them. I've never heard of one which wasn't considered a kernel panic risk, not even the official one while Brady was at Apple -- it was very much work in progress when Apple pulled the plug.

Thanks. Yeah the people who've had luck with MacZFS seem to be hobbyists who aren't dealing with data worth more than their car. I had a bad experience with the Paragon NTFS drivers last week where finder was quietly corrupting files on copy, ( meanwhile rsync seemed to work fine.) My mirrored appleRaids haven't had any errors yet, so I figure I'm about due.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

BobHoward posted:

It's me, I reported the new Mavericks power button behavior as a bug (because it's really easy to tap that key by mistake on many rMBP/Air keyboards when you're trying to hit delete). Someone at Apple listened. It was already filtering out extremely short taps, but in 10.9.2 they extended the duration a bit, so now you need to hold it down for maybe half a second to get the computer to sleep.

I still don't really like it, to be honest. If I want to sleep the computer I just close the drat lid. Far as I'm concerned, immediate sleep on button push is worthless and doomed to never do anything but annoy me.

I'm honestly curious if anyone loves this immediate-sleep feature, and whether the extra delay ruins it for you. Hope I didn't help screw you guys over, if you exist.

I don't get any sleep anymore, it just pops up the Restart/Sleep/Shut Down dialog after a couple seconds. That said, I never used it, anyway.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Tapedump posted:

It currently has 1GB RAM, and officially supports 4GB, so I'm gonna pop that in (I have bags and bags of old RAM lying around).

If you can dig up a 4 GB chip and a 2 GB chip, definitely crank it up to 6 GB if possible. The extra RAM will only help matters.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Fats posted:

I don't get any sleep anymore, it just pops up the Restart/Sleep/Shut Down dialog after a couple seconds. That said, I never used it, anyway.

Sorry, I should clarify. I get the dialog after about 2 seconds too. In all versions of Mavericks, the power button can do four different things:

1. Very short press and release -- ignored
2. Slightly longer press and release -- sleeps when you release the button.
3. Hold for ~2 seconds -- shows the restart/sleep/shutdown dialog
4. Hold 5 seconds -- Force shutdown

In 10.9.0 and 10.9.1 it was difficult to press and release fast enough to actually notice that case #1 existed. In 10.9.2 they changed the timer and now it takes a fairly long and deliberate press to sleep the machine.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Binary Badger posted:

If you can dig up a 4 GB chip and a 2 GB chip, definitely crank it up to 6 GB if possible. The extra RAM will only help matters.
Thanks. Can you run RAM that is faster then the recommended spec and have it just clock down like it would in a PC? I have 4GB sticks of PC2-6400 (this iMac asks for 5300, but I don't have any 4GB sticks in that speed.)

Last question probably: Any thing major preventing me from fitting an SSD? I've read of OS X TRIM issues, Sandforce controllers, and so on, but have never put one in a Mac. I've replaced an iMac HDD before and had to use a program to address the balls-out fan speed issue afterwards.

(Sorry for the hardware questions in a software thread, and thank you for taking time to counsel me.)

Bokito
Jul 25, 2007
Going Ape
I have an Early 2009 Mac mini running 10.9.2 that I use as a media player with XBMC together with a Logitech Harmony 700 remote. XBMC is set to automatically start on each boot. The problem I was having was that the remote didn't work in XBMC after XBMC automatically started on boot: button presses would only lead to changing the system volume or starting iTunes. I had to manually disable and re-enable the remote in XBMC to make it work, but only until the next boot.

After a lot of troubleshooting I figured out the problem: XBMC was starting too quickly after boot, which prevented it from taking control of the remote. The solution was to use a free app named DelayedLauncher to delay the launch of XBMC with only 5 seconds. Works fine now. Just a FYI if somebody runs into the same problem.

DelayedLauncher can be found here: https://www.taoeffect.com/blog/2011/01/delayedlauncher-2-2/

Bokito fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 5, 2014

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Does everyone here just use Google Calendar and the Calendar app in Mavericks or is there a better one in the app store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

keevo posted:

Does everyone here just use Google Calendar and the Calendar app in Mavericks or is there a better one in the app store?

It's not a replacement, but I've been using QuickCal. It just sits in the menubar and lets you super quickly read/write events and reminders. It works for me because a quick list of everything is usually all I need. And of course everything is still accessible from Calendar if you need the full interface.

If you need something more in depth and much more expensive, there's also Fantastical. It crams a lot more information into the menubar pulldown. If you've routinely got a full agenda it's worth it, otherwise it's kind of overkill.