Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

C. Everett Koop posted:

What also really didn't help is that this was post-knee surgery Vader, which sapped a lot of the agility that made him notable. He wasn't able to go as well towards the end, that combined with his attitude led to his burial and dismissal.

Some of Vader's best work (maybe his best) was his post WWF run in AJPW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Triple H was also called "Monarch of the Mat" and "Wrestling Aristocrat" like once each.

Who's had the most nicknames? I'm guessing either HBK or Jericho.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!
I'm gonna say Undertaker. Let's see, he's The Deadman, The Demon of Death Valley, the Last Outlaw, Red Devil, Big Evil, the Lord of Darkness, The American Bad rear end, the Phenom, and was also called the conscience of the WWE a few times. Comedy Booger Red option.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I'm trying to remember some older territory day wrestler that was balding, had a beard, wore a yellow shirt that said something along the lines of "I'm Not A Nice Guy" or some other Ox Bakerism, and had his one arm in a cast/wrist protector and used it as his finish. I discovered him before on accident but now I can't remember his name. Does anyone know who that could be?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Didn't Vader's son do a brief stint in FCW and some Japan stuff? Is/Was he any good?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

How did the Big Show/A-Train and Undertaker handicap WM match come about?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
^ it was a tag match originally with Nathan Jones as Taker's tag partner. Nathan Jones was green as goose poo poo and they pulled him from the match with an injury angle.

Endorph posted:

Didn't Vader's son do a brief stint in FCW and some Japan stuff? Is/Was he any good?

He was green so he didn't have much to show. He was in an apparently okay team with Cory Graves and they were like sleazy alpha male bros and then they jobbed him out in NXT then wanted to repackage him as like Ric Flair but released him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WeaponX posted:

How did the Big Show/A-Train and Undertaker handicap WM match come about?
Undertaker trained this dude named Nathan Jones and in storyline he was basically his protege, and the two of them got in a feud with Big Show/A-Train. The match was originally gonna be Jones/Taker vs Show/Train

but then Jones literally just loving ran for it when they touched down in Australia. Ran off into the night like a loving specter. He might very well still be somewhere in the Australian wilderness, surviving off coyotes and kangaroos.

So the match became a handicap match.

EDIT: Oh wait I got mixed up. They pulled him because he was green and *then* he fled off into the night after mania.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Sound worse than I thought. It always stuck out to me as such a weird little part of his streak. I guess a tag match would have been even worse and would have practically killed the streak right there.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I just don't understand why if Vince is a weirdo control freak micromanager that he let Shawn Michaels walk all over him, bury people, throw hissy fits and refuse to job or drop titles to anyone, for years and years. Was he just that big that nobody could say no to him?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I just don't understand why if Vince is a weirdo control freak micromanager that he let Shawn Michaels walk all over him, bury people, throw hissy fits and refuse to job or drop titles to anyone, for years and years. Was he just that big that nobody could say no to him?

Not really, I believe he fired Shawn the first time he was in the WWE. His inexplicable friendship or whatever you call it was really weird. I maybe attribute it to the time, WCW was destroying the WWE, there was so much pressure on Vince and it's not like he has an amazing cabal of friends.

Nash said on the Steve Austin show that Vince was apart of the Clique though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-TEpiPEVgE

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Luigi Thirty posted:

It also wasn't too dissimilar to the dynamic Vince had with Hogan when he was in the company in the 80's. So I suppose it was a return to familiar territory for Vince.

Edit: Typo.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 5, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Luigi Thirty posted:

Was he just that big that nobody could say no to him?

No, he was too short.

More seriously though it all seems to go to backstage politics. Listening in on Austin's podcast one thing stuck out to me, which was when MSG happened, Hall, Nash, HHH, and Shawn all agreed to take over their respective companies until wrestling as a business in the US was controlled by the Kliq. That's something that Nash and Austin both outright said, and from what I know about the Wars and into the current era, that's exactly what happened, when you consider how much power the Kliq held (Taking over WCW with the nWo, taking over WWF with D-X) and still holds (What with HHH being heir apparent to WWE and looking out for his friends, at least, everyone except Hall).

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Shima Honnou posted:

No, he was too short.

More seriously though it all seems to go to backstage politics. Listening in on Austin's podcast one thing stuck out to me, which was when MSG happened, Hall, Nash, HHH, and Shawn all agreed to take over their respective companies until wrestling as a business in the US was controlled by the Kliq. That's something that Nash and Austin both outright said, and from what I know about the Wars and into the current era, that's exactly what happened, when you consider how much power the Kliq held (Taking over WCW with the nWo, taking over WWF with D-X) and still holds (What with HHH being heir apparent to WWE and looking out for his friends, at least, everyone except Hall).

To be fair, it didn't seem like they abandoned Hall, just they couldn't help him, probably because as people they weren't all that much better. Which is why we needed Wrestler Jesus to save him and Jake.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
DDP pretty much deserves to be in the Hall of Fame because the man's a loving miracle worker.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

DDP pretty much deserves to be in the Hall of Fame because the man's a loving miracle worker.

Cool stuff with Jake and Razor aside, he had a pretty nice career in the biz with a fair amount of accomplishments. There are people who accomplished far less as workers in the WWE HOF. So he definitely belongs there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Luigi Thirty posted:

This is why http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/video_reviews/32581/King-Lear-(The-Fall-Of-The-WWF).htm

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Talent has more leverage when there's actual competition

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Luigi Thirty posted:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Scott Steiner is pretty convinced that's what it was. Scott Steiner is also insane, but still.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Why did they stop using local jobbers? It used to be a really quick way to build up a guy by letting him rack up big wins over nobodies, while also preventing endless repetitive matches between the same midcard guys.

Is it a cost thing? Or a holdover from the Monday Night Wars where each company constantly wanted to have big names in every segment?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Writer Cath posted:

Why did they stop using local jobbers? It used to be a really quick way to build up a guy by letting him rack up big wins over nobodies, while also preventing endless repetitive matches between the same midcard guys.

Is it a cost thing? Or a holdover from the Monday Night Wars where each company constantly wanted to have big names in every segment?

Don't they still use them for security guards to be beat up?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

bobkatt013 posted:

Don't they still use them for security guards to be beat up?

I meant more to use as a means of getting a dude over. Last time they did it was Ryback. It's a handy thing that keeps people from having the same matches over and over again.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Onmi posted:

Not really, I believe he fired Shawn the first time he was in the WWE. His inexplicable friendship or whatever you call it was really weird. I maybe attribute it to the time, WCW was destroying the WWE, there was so much pressure on Vince and it's not like he has an amazing cabal of friends.

Nash said on the Steve Austin show that Vince was apart of the Clique though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-TEpiPEVgE

When Nash appeared on Austin's podcast, you got Nash's version of history.

To hear it from Nash, he, Shawn, Kid, and Hall decided they needed to protect each other. They put a "Kliq Dressing Room" sign on a locker room door as a prank, and that stirred poo poo up big time, to where Vince got wind of it. Expecting to be punished, they were surprised when Vince walked in, and asked how he could join. Nash smiled, and said something like, "If you want to make money, you're already in.". They brought in Hunter later, because he didn't drink, so he could be their driver.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What I want to know is how they actually got to officially calling it "The Kliq" and spelling it that way. That's like something my friends and I would do...when we were in first grade.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Someone with a Network subscription find this in HD. TIA.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

What I want to know is how they actually got to officially calling it "The Kliq" and spelling it that way. That's like something my friends and I would do...when we were in first grade.

Congrats, you've figured out the entire Kliq mentality. Only you and your friends (probably) didn't make millions off of that poo poo.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Halloween Jack posted:

It's been said that Lex Luger was the first to start referring to them as a "clique", not sure when the alternate spelling came about.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Halloween Jack posted:

There's the Clique (the crew of HBK, HHH, Nash, etc.) and The Kliq, which was HBK's Hulkamania-like fanbase in 1996. The Kliq name was a WWF creation.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

TL posted:

There's the Clique (the crew of HBK, HHH, Nash, etc.) and The Kliq, which was HBK's Hulkamania-like fanbase in 1996. The Kliq name was a WWF creation.

Vince Russo was the one who convinced HBK to call his fanbase "The Kliq". It never caught on, and HBK hated the idea anyway.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Umbra Dubium posted:

Someone with a Network subscription find this in HD. TIA.

It's from the 11/30/98 Raw which sadly isn't on the network.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Onmi posted:

I maybe attribute it to the time, WCW was destroying the WWE, there was so much pressure on Vince and it's not like he has an amazing cabal of friends.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Talent has more leverage when there's actual competition

It's really as simple as this, I think. It seems like modern day fans have either forgotten or don't realize that there was a time when Vince wasn't king and WWE don't own the business. WWE has done a good job writing history to seem like they've always been unstoppable, even when WCW was evilly trying to kill them, but there was a time when there was competition, they were even #2, and wrestlers had leverage. To hear Nash tell it the Kliq just wised up to the cutthroat nature of the business and decided to play ball and work together. And since WCW gave them the ability to walk from WWF (and vice versa) they were able to make things happen. It's probably the closest wrestling will ever come to unionizing.

Like, CM Punk walking out on WWE would be a VERY different story if there was a WCW in play. But Vince's Monday Night War win changed the business dramatically.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Sometimes I like to stop and think how different the world would be if Jericho had been told WCW was going to be sold so he could have bought it out instead of Vince.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Dave Meltzer posted:

Mankind, Goldust and Undertaker filmed a sports related comedy show as part of a pilot with the people who did Second City TV. The gimmick was the three wrestlers were their in their wrestling personas sitting at a bar discussing how-brow subjects such as philosophy.
This bit jumped out to me in the miscellaneous section of this week's retro Observer. Did anything ever come of this? Did it ever make it to the public? It sounds amazing.

Pinstripe Hourglass fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 5, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I would watch that show forever. Mankind, Goldust and Taker, in kayfabe, discussing philosophy. That sounds loving incredible.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
After reading that, I'm picturing Louie with pro-wrestlers now and I really want that show to exist somehow.

I'd name it Ryder.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Halloween Jack posted:

You're forgetting that the 1990s made it cool and awesome to spell everything differently, like with X's and numbers instead of letters and poo poo. I'm surprised toggle-case never caught on in WWE, frankly.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

sticklefifer posted:

You're forgetting that the 1990s made it cool and awesome to spell everything differently, like with X's and numbers instead of letters and poo poo. I'm surprised toggle-case never caught on in WWE, frankly.

Sunday Night HeAt

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

SirDippingSauce posted:

Sunday Night HeAt

SuNDAY NIGHT HeAT thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT