Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Well, now all the images load for me. I'm gonna back up all the images anyway, in case something like this happens again and it doesn't fix itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.
I wouldn't mind hearing about the "leveling up" and adding points into dots.

I don't understand why the player character assumes and tells everyone that ALL the plaguebearers are dead. Isn't that something that, if her assumptions are wrong, easily comes to bite her in the rear end? Even if the crazy messiah weirdos are dead, all it takes is one vampire with the plague to keep it going. Though that would be an interesting plot twist: if your character caught it through all the damage and blood around during the fight and now is unintentionally the Last Plaguebearer (tm).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's interesting that we've actually got multiple factions asking us to do the same thing and we get paid by both of them.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Aesclepia posted:

I wouldn't mind hearing about the "leveling up" and adding points into dots.

I don't understand why the player character assumes and tells everyone that ALL the plaguebearers are dead. Isn't that something that, if her assumptions are wrong, easily comes to bite her in the rear end? Even if the crazy messiah weirdos are dead, all it takes is one vampire with the plague to keep it going. Though that would be an interesting plot twist: if your character caught it through all the damage and blood around during the fight and now is unintentionally the Last Plaguebearer (tm).

It's easy - you've killed all the ones you know about, and didn't get a mysterious plot item drop leading you further along the quest chain from the last one you killed, so you know you're done.

The player character is just genre-aware.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Glazius posted:

It's interesting that we've actually got multiple factions asking us to do the same thing and we get paid by both of them.

That's pretty much you're supposed to do it in WoD as a Vampire.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Considering nearly everyone in Bloodlines uses you for their own purposes, it seems only fair that you would do the same. Though if I recall correctly Strauss isn't very happy if you tell him you're investigating the plague on behalf of the Anarchs.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013

quote:

It's easy - you've killed all the ones you know about, and didn't get a mysterious plot item drop leading you further along the quest chain from the last one you killed, so you know you're done.

The player character is just genre-aware.

I lol'd. A Ventrue would probably be most likely to be genre-aware.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

MJ12 posted:

Humans can have a few stats at 10, Willpower, True Faith (rare), and Humanity (only relevant for V:tM purposes, the other lines don't use it).

Every one of the big three splats has their ways of getting superhuman attributes.

Mages can get superhuman physical attributes via the sphere of Life, and mental attributes with the sphere of Mind. Werewolves have totems, which can give bonus attribute dots, plus their own war-forms, which give lots of bonuses to physical attributes: A Garou in warform has +4/1/3 Strength/Dexterity/Stamina, for example, which is just this side of insane.

For lesser splats, Mummies can use artifacts and Alchemy to boost attributes up to 8, which also give them special abilities per attribute boosted. Demons have their Apocalyptic forms, which are like slightly weaker versions of Garou warforms. I don't know about Wraiths, Changelings, or Hunters, but gently caress Changelings and Wraith really isn't about getting high stats to beat people in the face with.

I believe there is a "Legendary whatever" merit that humans can buy that lets boost 1 trait up to 6. It's supposed to reflect that you are the absolute best person in that thing period who is a mortal.

Mummies can actually buy attributes and skills above 5 if they can get there powerstat high enough, and the Mummy book actually explains what benefits you get for having stuff above 5. It's pretty redonkulus stuff. I'm not sure if thats just what Mummies can do with traits above 5, or the special abilities are legit for anybody with traits that high.

Mages can go above 5, but they risk major league paradox if they use the traits all nilly willy. Mages can actually just flat out buy above 6 if there arete is high enough and they learn archmagic (lol). Each of the 9 spheres is associated with an attribute and if you have say Mind 8, you could then flat out buy Int 8 with no risk of paradox. Archmagic though is kind of insane.

I was under the impression Werewolves could get there traits above 5 if they had enough Reknown using something?

In any case, you can basically view anything above 5 as being World of Darkness version of telling you "this is epic level or NPC only stuff". Though sadly tons of games let players have elder crap that was never actually supposed to be balance with the assumption that PCs could use it.

A PC style supernatural with any ability above 6 normally without them using some kind of buff (like Werewolf Crinos form, or a Mage buffing himself) is somebody supposed to be INCREDIBLY powerful. WoD has the normal comic book problem of everything trying to top everything though, so it get dumb fast.

Note that there was also a trait called backgrounds in WoD. It doesnt come into this game. Mortals CAN get above 5 in theory. But that would indicate your somebody like a ruler of a legit open nation, or control an entire military, or something of that vein.

An actual trait of 10 in a supernatural power is pure plot fiat. Obfuscate 10 for example is called out as you just saying "nobody ever remembered I existed ever" and you get away with it. Mages with a Sphere of 10 are flat out bonafide DnD style gods. They are called Oracles.

I'd also note that Attributes CAN go above 10. Things like Godzilla (they have statted out analogues) will have Strength and stamina scores above 10.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 4, 2014

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Scion is a pretty cool game. It has Epic Attributes baked right into the system because everybody plays as a demigod. It very much encourages over the top power gaming so if that's the kind of thing you are into, even for just a few sessions, it ain't bad. The first session I played as a scion of Ares I organized an underground phalanx of homeless people and Mario 64'd a giant demon thing into a tanker truck.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

anglachel posted:

Mummies can actually buy attributes and skills above 5 if they can get there powerstat high enough, and the Mummy book actually explains what benefits you get for having stuff above 5. It's pretty redonkulus stuff. I'm not sure if thats just what Mummies can do with traits above 5, or the special abilities are legit for anybody with traits that high.

Yeah, Dexterity of 6+ was basically free uses of Celerity for them. Extra actions without having to split dice pools. Strength 6 was your hits can stun enemies. 7 let you do Lethal damage with your hands, while 8 bumped it up to Aggravated.

quote:

I was under the impression Werewolves could get there traits above 5 if they had enough Reknown using something?

I think the limit is 5 + the rank you're at. All characters start at 0 until they accrue enough Reknown in Honor, Glory and Wisdom to be allowed to challenge a Rank 1 tribe member, called a Cliath. If they meet and overcome that challenge, which can be anything from a riddle contest to an outright brawl, they pass and are recognized as Cliath themselves. At that point you can purchase attributes up to 6.

quote:

I'd also note that Attributes CAN go above 10. Things like Godzilla (they have statted out analogues) will have Strength and stamina scores above 10.

Yep. A Vozhd, for instance, has a Strength of 8, but Potence effectively brings it up to a 14. And there's plenty of greater spirits out there that can match it and then some.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

Though if I recall correctly Strauss isn't very happy if you tell him you're investigating the plague on behalf of the Anarchs.

Yeah, that's how I missed out on the Tremere apartment in Downtown in my first playthrough.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Vicissitude posted:

I think the limit is 5 + the rank you're at. All characters start at 0 until they accrue enough Reknown in Honor, Glory and Wisdom to be allowed to challenge a Rank 1 tribe member, called a Cliath. If they meet and overcome that challenge, which can be anything from a riddle contest to an outright brawl, they pass and are recognized as Cliath themselves. At that point you can purchase attributes up to 6.
That's... the first I've heard of that.

Werewolves are capped at 5 barring spirit shenanigans, and I've never played a game where you don't start at Claith - Claith are, in fact, the starting basis for characters. One of the nice improvements in W20 was giving the Rank 1 gifts enough bite to be worth it, in fact.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Ah, well, that's why I said "I think". I never really got into Werewolf. However, I just learned that there's a W20 book, so I guess I'm all in now :v:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Vicissitude posted:

Ah, well, that's why I said "I think". I never really got into Werewolf. However, I just learned that there's a W20 book, so I guess I'm all in now :v:

The fact that it's not presented as "The Amazing Adventures of the Bone Gnawers... and a handful of some other guys I guess" makes me kinda sad. But then it's hard to go wrong with hobo werewolves fighting evil with 2x4s and shivs.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme

quote:

Mages with a Sphere of 10 are flat out bonafide DnD style gods. They are called Oracles.

Spheres only go to 5. Oracles have a Sphere at 6.

Arete can go to 10, but while that means you can muster amazing loads of dice and insight into the Universe, it's the Spheres that cap what you can actually do.

Considering that Forces 5, for example, is "I create a nuclear explosion when and where I want", and Mind 5 is "I create a new human mind entirely from nothing" -- a Sphere at 6 really is "I make the sun go nova" type stuff.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

anglachel posted:

Mages can go above 5, but they risk major league paradox if they use the traits all nilly willy. Mages can actually just flat out buy above 6 if there arete is high enough and they learn archmagic (lol). Each of the 9 spheres is associated with an attribute and if you have say Mind 8, you could then flat out buy Int 8 with no risk of paradox. Archmagic though is kind of insane.

Care to go into what archmagic is and why it's so crazy?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Kacie posted:

Arete can go to 10, but while that means you can muster amazing loads of dice and insight into the Universe, it's the Spheres that cap what you can actually do.

Considering that Forces 5, for example, is "I create a nuclear explosion when and where I want", and Mind 5 is "I create a new human mind entirely from nothing" -- a Sphere at 6 really is "I make the sun go nova" type stuff.

Oh, no sir. Have a look at Masters of the Art for a sterling example of the late-model flavor of White Wolf twinkery.

Prime 8, "Channel Paradox," and Spirit 9, "Awaken Avatar" should give you some idea.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
In Old World of Darkness, Mage: the Ascension, Spheres go to 5. At Sphere 6, the mage transcends to become an Oracle.

In New World of Darkness, Mage: the Awakening, Spheres go beyond 5, and at 6+ the mage becomes an archmage. They also are not hanging around on Earth much.

I read "Oracle" and thought Old mage, since that's the game I've run more often. (And since V:tM Bloodlines is Old WoD, too.)

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
I'm afraid I am discussing Mage:the Ascension, oWoD, yes.

The sourcebook I mentioned has the Spheres from 6 to 9.

It was a stunningly terrible idea. You can choose not to transcend, and instead pursue even greater power.

Ooh, here's a good one. Forces 9, which allows you to "Create New Universal Force." Conducive to solid roleplay.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Oh, White Wolf. Can't go two books in an Old WoD series without contradicting an earlier book. :ughh:

I swear, I've got books that spend time talking about Oracles, the crazy they can do, and stressing repeatedly that Sphere 6 is Everything Alpha-Omega and the Kitchen Sink.

The inevitable contradiction was only slightly less of a problem than the Old WoD indexes, where a) what you wanted probably wasn't there, and b) if by some miracle it was, it pointed to the wrong page. Including key mechanical details for magic. Good luck figuring out what the stat roll was to resist Mind magic!

The nWoD indexes are actually decent. My gaming group was both relieved and slightly sad that the in-joke of "we'll just look it up in the index!" no longer applied.

Kacie fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 5, 2014

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012

whowhatwhere posted:

Archmagic is where you get into total, complete mastery of one or more of the nine fundamental forces of reality.

For example, at Forces (something), you can erase the Law of Thermodynamics.

For everybody.

The paradox is absurd, but you can do it!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Kacie posted:

Oh, White Wolf. Can't go two books in an Old WoD series without contradicting an earlier book. :ughh:

I swear, I've got books that spend time talking about Oracles, the crazy they can do, and stressing repeatedly that Sphere 6 is Everything Alpha-Omega and the Kitchen Sink.

You're not wrong. I like to think the early drafts of Exalted inspired someone to say, hey, maybe we can sell some Mage books with really absurd stuff.

Kacie posted:

The inevitable contradiction was only slightly less of a problem than the Old WoD indexes, where a) what you wanted probably wasn't there, and b) if by some miracle it was, it pointed to the wrong page. Including key mechanical details for magic. Good luck figuring out what the stat roll was to resist Mind magic!

Good ol' Page XX.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Sword Hunter Gil posted:

Archmagic is where you get into total, complete mastery of one or more of the nine fundamental forces of reality.

For example, at Forces (something), you can erase the Law of Thermodynamics.

For everybody.

The paradox is absurd, but you can do it!

That's why all the Archmages agree to something called the Pax Arcana which is basically like MAD but for universe-shattering magic. Pretty much all archmages agree to it, including seers and abyssal servants because if they started an archmage war they would probably obliterate the universe.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

UrbicaMortis posted:

because if they started an archmage war they would probably obliterate the universe.
And that is a concern... why? it's not like it's the only universe or something.

(Serious question. What's stopping them? Unless those who don't play along just gently caress off into interdimensional quasi-space and make their own universes)

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Pierzak posted:

And that is a concern... why? it's not like it's the only universe or something.

(Serious question. What's stopping them? Unless those who don't play along just gently caress off into interdimensional quasi-space and make their own universes)

I think it's because there is bound to be an enemy archmage who can break into your own pocket dimension and kill you. They're all so powerful that they would end up destroying each other.

Although in reality, it's so every game doesn't break down into the players finding a way to contact an archmage and asking him to fix everything.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Ah poo poo, I'm all caught up now. Waiting in real time blows.

Really enjoying both the LP and detailed rule rundowns btw!!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Do the effects of a Mage's dickery end with their death/paradox? Like, what's to stop some nihilistic or suicidal Mage of sufficient power from creating some new law of physics and then just dying anyway, but who cares 'cause you're all hosed now. Or does the new law end with their death?

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Kacie posted:

Forces isn't QUITE that powerful at 6. It's called out that Forces 6 lets you move continents and and gently caress with things on a global level.

whowhatwhere posted:

Lets see lets just get into some abilities of Archmagic.

*high level life magic literally says you cannot die unless you want to. Period. Only exception is somebody has access to more powerful life magic (note this doesnt protect your soul or your mind, so it's not invulnerability, but still this is huge)
*high level Correspondence lets you be at all places at once
*high level Time magic lets you exist at all points in time at once
*high level Entropy lets you bring back the dead (you will need some other spheres to make there body though)
*high level Spirit lets you make the Spirit World and the material world the exact same thing over an area you specify

Alot of it is more weird widgety metaphysical poo poo and getting over what weird limitations that the Spheres up to 5 have. So for example you might be able to do the Earthquake thing at level 5, but you will also need pretty high Corresponce to do the area effect part. Level 6 means you get to skip needing high Correspondence.

Kacie posted:

In Old World of Darkness, Mage: the Ascension, Spheres go to 5. At Sphere 6, the mage transcends to become an Oracle.

In New World of Darkness, Mage: the Awakening, Spheres go beyond 5, and at 6+ the mage becomes an archmage. They also are not hanging around on Earth much.

I read "Oracle" and thought Old mage, since that's the game I've run more often. (And since V:tM Bloodlines is Old WoD, too.)

Masters of the Art explains Spheres 6 through 9. 10 is basically what Oracles (and Exemplars which are basically people who become the flat out God of that Sphere)only can achieve and it's not spelled out. Given how powerful level 9 is, Oracles have for all intents and purposes won, and are just trying to help other people Ascend too. Note that it's spelled out that the primary criteria to Oracledom is an Arete of 10, and that Arch-Spheres actually start to make it harder to get your arete up as you become obsessed with your worldly power instead of ascension.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Do the effects of a Mage's dickery end with their death/paradox? Like, what's to stop some nihilistic or suicidal Mage of sufficient power from creating some new law of physics and then just dying anyway, but who cares 'cause you're all hosed now. Or does the new law end with their death?

Yes and no. The effect still lasts, but can then be basically counterspelled/dispelled, paradox actively damages and will undo the effect. You can kind of think of paradox as being partially you getting countersplled and hosed back with by the "asleep" avatars of sleepers. There's also an element of reality itself being resistant to change and want to "snap back" in place unless held down long enough for it to be bent into shape.

So if you tried to do Universal Force of "everyone dies" the asleep avatars will beat you down, assuming something else doesnt stop you first (like say other Archmages who have the ability to see all possible futures at once and or be merged with all minds and know all things that are knowable by a thing that can be said to have a mind). A more subtle Universal force like say "fire causes mystical aggravated damage to Vampires" would probably stick pretty easy and it's possible that Vampires have this weakness through a power like this. (it's explicitly called out in Demon that Mage and Angelic/Demonic powers are related in some senses, so when the archangel cursed the weakness on Cain, it could very well be using an example of this power)

If a Archmage wanted to do a huge effect that was more subtle (like say make uber magic item of totally loving awesome) and was willing to blow himself up they can do quite big things as there last act that have huge and potentially longterm impact, and it's quite possible that if your dealing with a Time Archmage that they are still loving around after they blew themselves up.

On a note, the Ascension scenario actually gives an explanation if you read through the lines about what Vampires are, and why their powers work. It's established that pretty much everybody was a Mage back in the day. And that Cain committed the first act of paradox, the murder of his brother was an act of will working that went against the Consensus. The knife he used ends up becoming a powerful artifact. Thats why Vampirism doesnt worry about consensus. It's actually a powerful paradox curse.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

anglachel posted:

And that Cain committed the first act of paradox, the murder of his brother was an act of will working that went against the Consensus. The knife he used ends up becoming a powerful artifact. Thats why Vampirism doesnt worry about consensus. It's actually a powerful paradox curse.

That is exactly the sort of of mythology and world-building that I love. Crazy, but it makes enough sense that you can actually follow it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
High-level crazy powers of Mages and Werewolves are why I downplayed mages in my games and made the werewolves into asocial killing machines. They're handy to have if you want to pull a non-vampiric antagonist out, but trying to do even a fairly basic crossover game is really exhausting.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Man, I love Mage, but the moment Phil Brucato wasn't running the show anymore, things got crazy and never recovered. Masters of the Art should never have seen print.

I much preferred the second edition, which made it both implicitly and explicitly clear that most of what was going on was a cold war for a reason. Nobody wanted it to go hot because of mutually-assured destruction, so you get lots of politicking and behind-the-scenes manipulation. Anyone who made a big move would get a lot of on-the-spot alliances to try to stop them from doing it, i.e. the Nephandi summoning at the end of World War II or that one camp of Marauders whose answer to the "problem" of consensus reality was to kill as many people as possible.

It should also be noted, though, that getting a new rank of a Sphere in Mage has always been one of the most ludicrously expensive things in the game line. It was something like 9 XP per current rank, or 7 if you were trying to improve your character's faction's signature Sphere (a Virtual Adept learning Correspondence, etc.). XP was pretty slow in coming in most of the games I ever played, and it was supposed to take years of game time to learn a Sphere at four or five, which is also the point where it becomes very difficult to challenge an intelligent player at all. Forces in particular just gets goofy at rank 4, because that's when you can start loving with stuff like gravity, hard radiation, and high-end electromagnetism.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

We're going to scout out the Elizabeth Dane, see what's up with this 'Ankaran Sarcophagus'. Jack filled us in where LaCroix kept us in the dark. The Ankaran Sarcophagus supposedly has an ancient Vampire sleeping inside of it, an Antidelvuian, possibly. Vampire mythology says that if he awakes, he'll be looking to devour all of his progeny. We're supposed to do a scouting report on the sarcophagus for LaCroix -- funny how he didn't let us in on the fact that it might house the deaths of so many vampires.

To get there, we'll be heading back to Santa Monica, since it's near the coastline.

Drive.

While we're there we'll catch up with some of our old acquaintances. Only two of them, though, because most of them don't have anything new to say. Both Bertram Tung and his ghoul, Knox, fall under the later category. We will first be heading back to the the Asylum, not to talk to Knox, but to talk to somebody who we left in a different state than when we met them.

I am talking about Therese and Jeanette.

How are you two getting along?

We're bridging -

- valleys. But I still can't persuade her to -

- wear eye shadow, and you won't.

It's kind of neat, but kind of annoying that they talk like this. I'm both glad and disappointed that there's nothing more to say.

Good to hear. Goodbye.

Our second stop is to see how the man on the couch is doing.

Wha- Mercurio's gone! Where could he have went?

Oh, he was waiting for us on the beach.

What are you doing out here, Mercurio?

I just wanted to make sure you knew my appreciation. And like I said before, someone needs somethin', I can get it. This boat, for example.

He's speaking about a little motorized raft behind him, in the water. He probably would have had to do the same thing even if we sold him out -- LaCroix's orders.

Last time we saw Mercurio, he was still all bloody on his couch.

You look like you're feeling better.

I tell you, that blood you guys got's an amazing thing. Helped close up a few wounds. This back-alley patch fixed up the rest. I needed that beating - good reminder not to overestimate my ability. Last time it's gonna happen.

I might need some equipment for this little trip.

Mercurio actually doesn't have anything worth buying right now. He has a knife and some ammunition. But this is Mercurio we're speaking to, and he's all about information. We've already heard some of what he has to say, but now there's a lot more.

Uh-huh. I need some info. Tell me about Prince LaCroix.

Only seen him a few times. Way I understand it, the guy's untouchable. And I've never seen him without his muscle, that sheriff. Just so you understand, my loyalties are all but written in blood, so my opinion of the guy is moot.

Always the ghoul, Mercurio's first priority is getting his fix.

Tell me about The Sabbat.

Your typical, bloodthirsty movie-villain variety vampire. A few years back, I was on bodyguard duty for one of the old boys. Me, a couple o' ghouls, and some young vampire types like you. The Sabbat hit us, tried to pull a dine and dash. Just two of us walked away, and one was the elder.

The other was Mercury, the fleet-footed messenger.

Tell me about Downtown LA.

Downtown's a mess, always has been. I get called down there sometimes. Nines' people, LaCroix's people, lot of tension in the air. Lot of drugs and a lot of crime. Sometimes I offload extra inventory, but I avoid downtown when I can.

Tell me about Santa Monica.

Santa Monica's quiet mostly. That is, till you came to town. Not a lot of operators or police here, which is why I like it. Not a beach person personally, but there are some beautiful sunsets. Guess you wouldn't be interested in that, though, would ya.

Probably not.

I had some questions about weapons.

This is what Mercurio meant when he said he could help us out.

We know what to start with.

A tactical nuke.

Only a lunatic'd want that kind of ordnance. That's why they got 'em in Washington.

What about a flamethrower?

Oh, yeah, I get a lot of requests for those. I blame the movies. Everybody thinks they're a riot till they set their friends on fire. They're not very easy to get a hold of. I got a Vegas connection for those. Last time I was out there, I had to shoot my way to the state line.

Give me some info on a combat shotgun.

What you want is a SPAS-15. I've got a connection for those, but I haven't seen him in a while. Think he's in Mexico. Soon as he gets back, I'll have a few of 'em. Puttin' together a Dragon's Breath too. Sawed-off, spits WP rounds. Few nights work.

Tell me about sniper rifles.

Not easy, even in this country. Military grade sniper rifle with .50 caliber ammo can take a man apart at quite a distance. Makes the Secret Service nervous. I can, however, get my hands on a SWAT rifle. Gimme some time.

I'll come back when you've got one, thanks. Goodbye.

No more stalling this Elizabethan Rendezvous. Just hop on the raft, and we're taken there.

The Elizabeth Dane is a big ship. Remember what we're here for:

Part 16 posted:

You have three objectives: One - I want you to examine the sarcophagus for anything unusual; you may sense something peculiar about the sarcophagus. In fact, many Kindred in the city have reported an uneasiness in the air since the Dane's arrival. Do not, under any circumstances, open the Ankaran Sarcophagus. Secondly - the police have begun their investigation; find out what they have concluded thus far. Thirdly - take the cargo manifest for the ship; I want to find out what else it was carrying. The last thing we want is police aware of our existence, so... be careful what you do in front of them. And unlike the warehouse, you cannot wholesale slaughter a ship full of lawmen without consequences. Is this understood?

There's a smaller ship a little ways away, probably to get the cops here and back to shore, since we already know the ship is under investigation.

You saw earlier that the folks on the Elizabeth Dane were kind enough to leave a rope ladder for us to climb up on. We'll take it up.

There's a cop standing near the railing, apparently waiting for whoever climbed the latter. He beckons us over, calling us "pally". He's supposed to call us "Lady", but then the plus patch happened.

That explains the latter. It's best to play along.

[Persuade] He didn't tell me this was a formal affair.

Geez. What kind of Woodstein don't think to at least show dressed up like an investigator... a coast guard guy... somethin'?!? Didn't you ever see Fletch? What are they just handin' out those diplomas nowadays?

We have to convince him that we're who we say we are, or else the cat will be out of the bag. But how we do this doesn't have to be about the issue...

[Seduction] My clothes shouldn't be an issue. They do come off, you know.

Fine. I'll be civil... for the sake of the story.

Alright, look, I got you a copy of the initial report, and I can get you in to the cabin, but you gotta make yourself real scarce after that. Anybody catches you, I don't know you. And no goddamn flash photography, brainchild.

Where do I go?

He doesn't actually hold up a walkie-talkie. He also gave us the police report:

quote:

A copy of the Initial Police Report for the Elizabeth Dane, signed by members of the USCCG, NCIS, and LAHP agencies. Despite strong evidence of amazing physical violence, not a single body has been found, and there are no signs of large-scale thefts.

Now we only need the cargo manifest and to inspect the sarcophagus.

Got it.

Head down the stairs behind you and stay low. When you get down there, wait for me to call off the guy guarding Gangway A. As soon as he leaves, get your rear end moving, and DON'T let him see you. I'll give you a couple minutes but don't dilly-dally. In and out, 'k?

Yeah yeah yeah.

Understood.

Now get a move on - and don't forget to tell Jacobson I get double my usual fee for this one.

Okay.

We'll head down and let the cop do his business.

Anderson goes to check out the fake whale, and we'll head further down into the ship.

There's blood on the floor! What could have happened here?

Past a locked door, we find the ship manifest:

quote:

Ankaran Site transport to Los Angeles:
Ankaran Sarcophagus,
3 crates - pottery/tablets,
1 box - unidentified.

Upstairs, we find a computer terminal:

From top to bottom, the reports are first. There are two of them: weather and status.

weather posted:

Seas: CALM
Air Temp: 65F
Sea Temp: 43F

status posted:

Engines: OFF
Deck Cams: OFF
Locks: LOCKED

Deck cams? It might be possible that we can see the sarcophagus from here. Let's check -- into log. The password is lighthouse.

The only important thing for us is to turn the deck cams on. So we will.

Flipping through the cameras, we see... something. This is actually the sarcophagus. Can you see what happened? Probably not, so I'll tell you: There is blood all over the floor. It looks like it was opened.

There is a way to see it up close, but that involves sneaking past a bunch of cops on alert. It's not easy to do. If we did, we'd see this:

Hampooj posted:

But we don't have to do that.

I'm putting a dot into Computer to be able to hack into the log section on the computer.

The password was AntonioBay.

10.10.04 posted:

Waters calm as we head out of Istanbul. Professor Johansen seemed very worried about the safety of the sarcophagus and various other artifacts from his dig, but I assured him that all was well.

Who's this 'Professor Johansen'?

10.14.04 posted:

Rough waters last evening. Operations normal, but the crew seems restless. One of the Turks has been telling them ghost stories. I had Lt. Stygian take him aside and speak with him.

10.15.04 posted:

Nothing to report. Situation normal.

10.17.04 posted:

Two of the crew have gone missing, and I fear they may have fallen overboard sometime during the night. No trace of either. Lt. Stygian has tried to contact their families, but something seems to have gone wrong with the radio.

We may have a saboteur on board. . . the crate holding the sacrophagus seems to have been opened.

10.19.04 posted:

We have found blood on the upper and lower decks, and it seems that at least three more of the crew are missing. The men are hysterical. I found the TUrk in his cabin, curled up into a ball, muttering something indecipherable to himself. Lt. Stygian is one of the missing crew, as well as the radio technician.

One of the men had a short wave radio, but all calls for help have gone unanswered.

10.20.04 posted:

I leave this ship to whoever may find it. THIS SHIP IS CURSED. May it sink to the crushing depths of Davy Jones' Locker before therhbnkhjljsdlkajkl

This is getting scary. Let's leave.

LaCroix should be satisfied with what we've gathered.

Mercurio is no longer on the beach, meaning he probably went back to his apartment. We're not going to go see him, though, we're just going to head straight back to Downtown.

Okay, let's go.

As soon as we step out of the cab, we see a familiar face...

It's that girl from the clinic, the one we ghouled!

I want to... help you. I owe you my life and... I feel like I need to repay you. Oh, I almost forgot - I'm Heather, Heather Poe. I'm not weirding you out or anything, am I?

It's the blood. That's why she feels like she does. She doesn't even know what's happening. We could turn her away now, have her go back to her normal life, but... how interesting is that?

That's hard to do these nights. You look much better. I'm glad.

Only because of you - what you did for me.

Of course. Heather, I would love for you to stay with me.

Really?!? I promise you won't regret it! Promise! I'll get you money, I'll get you things... everything! I want to be... important to you.

This feels... wrong.

Wait for me at my place. I can't have you following me around, it's dangerous.

She's talking about our place in Santa Monica. We probably won't be in the area very much. Maybe we should find somewhere to live here in Downtown.

My dear Heather, what did I ever do without you. I'll see you later.

She walks away, and we head into LaCroix's tower.

Ghostwoods posted:

Holy crap. Chunk has made an amazing recovery, even for the oWoD. :psyboom:

Uh.. time to change the subject.

How's the job, security man?

Ah, you know, I'm keeping the undesirables out, and the innocent safe and secure. I'm the thin blue line that separates the crazies from the hardworking decent folks. Yup, long as I'm around, Mr. LaCroix's got nothing to worry about.

Sure, Chunk. Sure.

Up to the penthouse...

What's going on?

I've said all I need to, for now.

The four Vampires, including Strauss, exit the room.

What could that have been about? Find out next time.

gatz fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 9, 2014

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

10.20.04 posted:

I leave this ship to whoever may find it. THIS SHIP IS CURSED. May it sink to the crushing depths of Davy Jones' Locker before therhbnkhjljsdlkajkl

:crossarms:Enter isn't adjacent to the letters in the streak he accidentaly typed while being brutally murdered, I'm calling bullshit.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Aumanor posted:

:crossarms:Enter isn't adjacent to the letters in the streak he accidentaly typed while being brutally murdered, I'm calling bullshit.

That was always my favorite trope; the dying message. "Maybe he was dictating."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Aumanor posted:

I'll let you know therhbnkhjljsdlkajkl is sailor slang for overrolling on the starboard and taking in greenwater through the poopdeck.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I didn't know you could complete the mission by watching the sarcophagus from the monitor. I always did the "sneaking through the guards" part and it indeed is a bitch to pull off.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

gatz posted:

Ecce Fatso. Chunk died so that others could live. R.I.P.

Holy crap. Chunk has made an amazing recovery, even for the oWoD. :psyboom:

Erlkonig
Dec 7, 2012
:stonk: drat, that scene with Heather never fails to creep me out. The whole dialogue just feels so sociopathic and jarring. I like that you can at least show remorse for what happened. In the long run though, it only makes you feel worse since she will probably be much better off with you than whatever freak she seeks out to get her blood fix.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Heather's like a puppy you helped heal but then it starts following you around, and you can't just shoo it away or it'll be worse off, but you can't really accept it because you've never had to take care of a pet before. That's how I looked at it. :smith:

I do remember successfully sneaking all the way over to the Sarcophagus when I played this game. Definitely wasn't worth the effort, especially with how finicky stealth can be in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013

quote:

In the long run though, it only makes you feel worse since she will probably be much better off with you than whatever freak she seeks out to get her blood fix.

Seriously. This is WoD, being nice to someone is at best going to leave you with a bad taste in your mouth, if not sick to your stomach.

We should definitely keep her as our ghoul. :D She's resourceful!

• Locked thread