Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Indolent Bastard posted:

That drug you are looking for is called intelligence and foresight. He guarantees Euro backers won't get screwed over by customs, he makes KS exclusive stuff that is nice and won't be in the retail box, but won't effect game play at all, and that is just the tip of the iceberg.
Yep, it's clear he took lessons from other well run kickstarters. As long as he has done the math - and with how everything else has gone, I expect he has - I expect fairly smooth sailing from here on out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Oh man, KS lists? Oh man…

I've backed… er… 144 projects, 106 are games.

Not including videogames, lets see…

(some) Received:
Tephra: the Steampunk RPG: Pretty book, uses d12s, need to read the rules better
Admiral of the High Seas: Pathfinder/4e rules, b&w copy got upgraded to color copy, which was nice
Blackwater Gluck (and expansion): Cool cowboy minis
Zombicide (1 and 2): Got all of Zombicide except for the Not Samuel L Jackson figure… which got changed anyway and I haven't seen how the new one looks like.
Tammamy Hall: need to actual, you know, play it.
Sedition Wars: pulling the minis together, slowly.
New Fire: SWEET book, cool game, not sure how to get people to play it.
Goblins Drool, Fairies Rule: Got this one for the gorgeous art. Game was delayed a ton, but…
Traveller 5th Edition: Huge book, can barely understand the rules
Dwarven/Gnome/Elven Adventure Set: ALL the miniatures (save for the Elves, which are in process).
Reaper Bones 1&2: Bones are pretty great, looking forward to the new ones.
Dreamforge: The Leviathan is a beast and I love it.
Dreadball: Got it all! Just need to finish putting teams together.
Hirelings: Adorable game, very simple, hope they release additional rules for the various characters
Tenra Bansho: Still trying to get used to the rules…
Numenera: Goddam the book is pretty.

… there are more but the list gets very long indeed.

As for one I HAVEN'T received, and no longer really expect to…

Witch Girls: Book of Shadows (aka 2nd ed): the first Witch Girls book, a game about playing High School Witches (which could easily be transformed into a Harry Potter game), I found charming and cute, so I thought to support this one. But the creator has basically vanished from kickstarter, his website is down from billing issues, he doesn't reply to any comments at all… :sigh: Does have an active Facebook account, but I haven't seen anything about the game there.

Its fine to have delays. Some stuff I've been waiting for months, but those people still update. Going dark is not cool :argh:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Isn't Witch Girls the game about budding magical sociopaths that they hired a fetish cartoonist to illustrate, and the creators behind it have no real conception of things like "actions in game having in-game consequences?"

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

S.J. posted:

But does it have good rules?

Here they are. Rivet Wars Judge for yourself.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Kai Tave posted:

Isn't Witch Girls the game about budding magical sociopaths that they hired a fetish cartoonist to illustrate, and the creators behind it have no real conception of things like "actions in game having in-game consequences?"

I'm reasonably sure that's Witch Girl Adventures, a similar-sounding but very much different game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Flavivirus posted:

I'm reasonably sure that's Witch Girl Adventures, a similar-sounding but very much different game.

Nope, just checked:

quote:

I wanted to introduce [my niece] to the hobby I loved, but there was literally nothing out there for girls like her. So I decided I was going to do something totally out of the box, write a table top RPG for kids (specifically) girls her age. And Witch Girls Adventures was born.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Welp, fair enough, that indeed is the one that's awful and weird and kinda skeevy. Should have done my research!

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

No idea about the fetish artist thing, really. One of the iconic characters IS pretty much an amoral girl that transforms people into other things, which I suppose should have been a big hint. Said character is, of course, the creator's apparent favorite.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, the guy they hired to do the art does a lot of transformation and vore fetish art, which creepily works its way into the game aimed at young girls as the creator-favorite amoral GMPC loves to do things like transform mundanes into cigarettes and smoke them or turn like one person into a cat and the other into a mouse with the implication of "haha it's funny because one of them is going to get eaten."

I'm not trying to pass judgment on you over this by the way, merely pointing out that the creators don't seem to be the best at this whole "making good decisions" thing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

In non-creepy news, I was a day off and the Mage20 kickstarter is live.

Did anyone around here get the previous Limited Edition oWoD books? How are they quality-wise.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

Did anyone around here get the previous Limited Edition oWoD books? How are they quality-wise.
So $35 is the minimum to get you the rules? In pdf? Without any extra books?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah. Unfortunately, that's pretty much how they've been pricing the reprints.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

dwarf74 posted:

Looks like $135 to actually receive a hard copy?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Azhais posted:

Yes, but at least it's a 600+ page faux-leather bound hard copy. It can't be cheap to produce.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah. Unfortunately, that's pretty much how they've been pricing the reprints.

If you were to wait for the game to be released publicly it'd likely be $30 for the PDF and $65/$100 for standard and premium colour hardbacks respectively (going by V20 and W20). So pledging for the PDF now isn't going to cost you much extra and will likely get you the PDF much earlier, but if you want the book you can save a lot by waiting for it to be public.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'd say they're probably the best looking rpg books I own. There are some minor issues, like the v20 logo disc falling off (it glued back on fine) and the w20 pages sticking at the edges (they came apart carefully without damage), but I'd absolutely buy them over again.

I'm going to back out of Arcadia for Mage. CMON got enough of my WoK money anyway.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Azhais posted:

The Kickstarters are pretty much just for the super-deluxe editions. It's not something you should pledge to if you just want the game.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Yeah, there is no cost saving in the Mage kickstarter at all, but I don't think there ever are in White Wolf kickstarters.

I'm glad they're including the PoD version at cost, I'll get a cheap one to use as a table copy so I don't have to pass a gigantic tome around.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, the guy they hired to do the art does a lot of transformation and vore fetish art, which creepily works its way into the game aimed at young girls as the creator-favorite amoral GMPC loves to do things like transform mundanes into cigarettes and smoke them or turn like one person into a cat and the other into a mouse with the implication of "haha it's funny because one of them is going to get eaten."

I'm not trying to pass judgment on you over this by the way, merely pointing out that the creators don't seem to be the best at this whole "making good decisions" thing.

Yeah, I understand. I guess I didn't think about it that way because I was already head-desking over the terrible, TERRIBLE spanish in the intro comic.

Anyway, re: White Wolf Games, the Hardcover Premium copies of the W:tA and V:tM go for $99 over at DTRPG. They are very nice. Standard editions are around $65, and come with less nice paper. B&W versions go for $50

I think the premium is a single book and standard its two books. For some reason my order of the V:tM book arrived in both versions (... not the Werewolf one tho).

And if their other books are anything to judge, the Kickstarter version is bound to come with a neat cover, and a metallic sheen on the page edges, much like in their Mummy and Hunters Hunted books.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The Kickstarters are pretty much just for the super-deluxe editions. It's not something you should pledge to if you just want the game.

Ah, I misread. Was thinking this was just for a new revised edition or something.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Does anyone have any thoughts on Far Away Land RPG? I am trying to cut back on kickstarters, especially with the Dwarven Forge one coming up shortly, but something about this one is calling to me. It doesn't help that I pretty much only go for at least the lowest physical tier on RPG kickstarters to get the main content which puts this one at a $60 buy in.

The lists everyone has been posting has definitely made me a little more conscious of supporting these things. I have put in so far to 75 different kickstarters since September 2011 with an average pledge of $89.60 each, almost all TG, and another half dozen Indiegogo campaigns. Of those 8 are way behind schedule with no clear end in sight. I have buyers remorse on a few of them overall and there are several I will probably never play or only play a couple times but I am still glad to have them to read through. None have totally failed on me yet and I am not overly concerned that the outstanding ones will. I am just glad I am patient. Sometimes it's nice to totally forget about something you paid for a year ago and have it just show up.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

nesbit37 posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Far Away Land RPG? I am trying to cut back on kickstarters, especially with the Dwarven Forge one coming up shortly, but something about this one is calling to me. It doesn't help that I pretty much only go for at least the lowest physical tier on RPG kickstarters to get the main content which puts this one at a $60 buy in.
Lagoon took its place; I could back two of Lagoon, Far Away Land, and Project Dark. I went with the other two. It looks neat, just can't responsibly do it now, and it looked like the one I'd get the least use out of.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
RE: Arcadia - Eric Lang, the guy behind Chaos in the Old World and several of Final Fantasy's original LCGs (that is to say, not Netrunner) is involved in at least some capacity. That said, he's one of four listed designers and the other three appear to be complete newbies, so who knows how much that matters.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kicket/kicket-arena

Haha, what? This looks awesome.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe
That actually looks like a lot of fun, like croquet for nerds. Or more accurately, croquet for nerds who do not want to dress up in steampunk outfits.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Goredema posted:

That actually looks like a lot of fun, like croquet for nerds. Or more accurately, croquet for nerds who do not want to dress up in steampunk outfits.

I want to see the guys face as he realizes his drunken friend kicked the poo poo out of his $500 one-of-a-kind Lucio Parrillo character (totally going to be lesbian angels).

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

What the poo poo.

That looks amusing, but I will be damned if I can muster the balls to play footsie soccer with Conan the Barbarian or whatever.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
http://michael-langlois.net/2014/02/23/cthulhu-wars-a-look-at-the-entire-beast/

So, Cthulhu Wars continues to be looking pretty nice.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Tears of a Machine arrived complete with full-color embroidered patch and clear plastic ID card.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The more I see of Cthulhu Wars, the more I fear how big that box will be. I mean it's a moot point since I don't have the forklift necessary to take it anywhere, but still.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

GrandpaPants posted:

The more I see of Cthulhu Wars, the more I fear how big that box will be. I mean it's a moot point since I don't have the forklift necessary to take it anywhere, but still.

It won't be a box. It'll be boxes. A single box would likely be bigger than the OGRE box and have minis scattering everywhere.

It's glorious. You're right that transport will be a pain, but I suppose you could mitigate that somewhat by only taking the boards/expansions that you intend to use in a session.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

All I see is a game that'll be a PITA to play because the models are so big as to be unwieldy. That shot of a game in progress was ridiculous; you couldn't even see the map for all the crap on the board.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tokaido: Collector's Edition. I really wish I liked Tokaido a lot more, because it is an absolutely gorgeous game and I'm sure the collector's edition would play well to its aesthetic.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Crackbone posted:

All I see is a game that'll be a PITA to play because the models are so big as to be unwieldy. That shot of a game in progress was ridiculous; you couldn't even see the map for all the crap on the board.

It's kinda crazy how much the whole thing is going for. 169 for the base + 180.00 for the expansions. 657.00 for literally everything.

I kinda regret not funding it since the kickstarter stuff was ALOT better bang for your buck but it was still in the crazy high category of spending for me. It seems like it's too expensive for it's own good at this point to be considered an actual boardgame and is just a miniature fest.

So...guess I am glad I didn't buy it?

Buckwheat Sings fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 5, 2014

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
So hey, KS thread:

Giant backer tiers. What would make you pledge $100+ for a tabletop RPG?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

It's kinda crazy how much the whole thing is going for. 169 for the base + 180.00 for the expansions. 657.00 for literally everything.

I kinda regret not funding it since the kickstarter stuff was ALOT better bang for your buck but it was still in the crazy high category of spending for me. It seems like it's too expensive for it's own good at this point to be considered an actual boardgame and is just a miniature fest.

So...guess I am glad I didn't buy it?

To be fair, this is the sort of thing Kickstarter was really made for. No company was going to make Cthulu Wars in the scale that guy wanted. I'd be interested if I could buy a more "retail-friendly" version in a more sane size.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I pledged over $100 for TimeWatch and Fate Core.

For Fate Core, I got six print copies of Fate Accelerated, as well as print copies of Fate Core, the two Fate Worlds books, and the Fate System Toolkit. I was already on board with Fate as a system, so I knew I'd have a use for the deadtree books, and I really really wanted them to hit the $86k stretch goal for Camelot Trigger.

For TimeWatch, it was a $90 pledge level (to put an adventure seed into the book) plus a dead-tree copy of the campaign supplement add-on.

What tends to interest me:
  • Being able to add something to the game in a way that I could point to and say "that was me"
  • Good-looking dice or similar physical artifacts (I would have loved Golden Sky Stories' ohajiki as an addon)
  • Deadtree copies if and only if I have previous experience with your work being above-average
  • Cards with both in-game and out-of-game uses (partner with thedandmom to make a tarot deck with your campaign setting's pantheon in the Major Arcana? i dunno)

What doesn't tend to interest me:
  • Copies of your previous game which I already bought
  • Play mats, posters, or art
  • Super high quality limited edition books such that I'll be too worried about damaging them to actually use them.
  • Conversions to D&D-derived rulesets (Pathfinder, 13th Age) or other systems I don't play (Savage Worlds)
  • You'll run a session for my group (I don't have a group and I don't know how good a GM you are anyway; you can design a good game without necessarily being a good GM.)
  • A t-shirt that looks anything remotely like a gaming logo. I never wore the Dungeon World t-shirt and would happily have skipped receiving it. On the other hand, I'd like a t-shirt if it would fit right in with the fangamer offerings: understated yet clever references.

From my point of view, Iron Edda was the worst at this. I backed it for $15 because the pitch was cool, but the only levels higher than that were for deadtree copies or getting them to run a session for my group, and the stretch goal organization was, in a word, asinine.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Crackbone posted:

I agree - I saw that photo and cringed. In retrospect, it would have probably been better to make smaller playing pieces, but offer upscaled versions for KS backers. It will be interesting to see it in person though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I imagine someone on BGG started work on printable counters as soon as those photos came out.

I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Ettin posted:

So hey, KS thread:

Giant backer tiers. What would make you pledge $100+ for a tabletop RPG?

Getting multiple entire product lines in PDF - the current Mutant Chronicles kickstarter has me in for 40 pounds for a ridiculous number of PDF books plus another 40 for the entire fruits of their previous Achtung Cthulhu kickstarter. Otherwise? Not much. I don't get to play more than one or two RPGs at a time and they take months and months, so $100+ is not a sane amount of money to spend on anything less than big, big bundles of product. And frankly, I'm still not convinced that Mutant Chronicles represents -great- value (I'm getting a whole lot more for my money in Bundles of Holding and similar), but I do know for a fact it represents a significant discount over their non-Kickstarter pricing so it'll do.

• Locked thread