Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zap!
May 15, 2002

Nuts.
Got my baofeng and could only listen to the local weather channel.

The local VE listed doesn't have a test until May. Guess I'll just have to drive an hour just to take the darn test sooner than May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PuTTY riot posted:

passed tech and general :woop: :toot:

holy poo poo fuckin congrats!

you're really going to appreciate getting that general if you pick up an HF radio, you get a chunk of every band to goof with.

proud of ya boy

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
thanks jony ur the only reason i even considered taking more than one test. and ya def want to get some hf action going but i want to understand antennas way better first. sounds like the club i tested at has a decent budget and nobody said anything about obama sounds like they just have trouble getting all the members to come. i think thye have a field day or something in a few weeks and will have some radios set up so i guess i will join they club and play w/ they radios hopefulyl they have some cool hf poo poo set up.

v eclectic bunch. silver haired chem prof, volunteer (?) firefighter guy, gen x arduino prof of unknown subject, afrotc guy etc etc. my wife laughed at me when i told her there were no women there.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PuTTY riot posted:

thanks jony ur the only reason i even considered taking more than one test. and ya def want to get some hf action going but i want to understand antennas way better first. sounds like the club i tested at has a decent budget and nobody said anything about obama sounds like they just have trouble getting all the members to come. i think thye have a field day or something in a few weeks and will have some radios set up so i guess i will join they club and play w/ they radios hopefulyl they have some cool hf poo poo set up.

v eclectic bunch. silver haired chem prof, volunteer (?) firefighter guy, gen x arduino prof of unknown subject, afrotc guy etc etc. my wife laughed at me when i told her there were no women there.

Nice, that sounds like a pretty decent environment! it certainly wouldn't hurt to go to a couple meetings and get to know them a little bit.

Definitely go to Field Day - the official one is the last weekend in June iirc. I'll do a big post on it today maybe but it's the biggest radio event of the year, everybody comes out of the woodwork and you get a shitload of experience not just operating radios, but setting up and running emergency operations stations

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
im not having the best of luck w/ sdr# but im thinking its prob this poo poo antenna

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
installing cygwin. what have i done

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PuTTY riot posted:

im not having the best of luck w/ sdr# but im thinking its prob this poo poo antenna
put the gain on max

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
code:
Sync:-DMR
-DMR           slot1         BS DATA  ERR2 CC=7  Idle
-DMR                slot2    BS DATA  ERR3 CC=7  Idle
-DMR           slot1         BS DATA  ERR3 CC=6  PI Header
-DMR           slot1         BS DATA  ERR1 CC=7  Idle
-DMR                slot2    BS DATA  ERR3 CC=2  VOICE Header
-DMR                slot2    BS DATA  ERR1 CC=7  Idle
-DMR                slot2    BS DATA       CC=7  Idle
-DMR  CACH ERR slot1         BS DATA  ERR1 CC=7  Idle
-DMR           slot1         BS DATA  ERR3 CC=2  VOICE Header
-DMR                slot2    BS DATA  ERR3 CC=1  Idle
-DMR  CACH ERR slot1         BS DATA  ERR2 CC=7  Idle
Sync: no sync
im doing something wrong but i heard like just a split second of someone talking so its not *that* wrong

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ok yeah i cranked the gain and that is a little better. these antennas are terrible lol

tune in a powerhouse FM - it's cool, sdrsharp can decode the RDS

jello are you trying to gently caress around with TRBO over there or something

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

yeah you need to crank the gain way up on those fuckers or the snr is poo poo

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

ok yeah i cranked the gain and that is a little better. these antennas are terrible lol

tune in a powerhouse FM - it's cool, sdrsharp can decode the RDS

jello are you trying to gently caress around with TRBO over there or something

ya im fuckin w/ TRBO

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

so i emailed that craigslist guy about the scope and asked if he had a probe so i could test the thing out, first he replies with a picture of his probe, along with

quote:

I could make a video for you if it would be easier? I really don't know how to use it, but I know how to turn it on and make everything glow and light up.

doesn't know how to use it even though it comes with a manual and a book on oscilloscopes

i reply that that's all right, i can test it myself

quote:

Unfortunately, I do not live in a place by myself - room mates do not welcome 'random' visitors, so I'll have to pass. Sorry. I understand that you'd like to use it - I would too if I was buying.

can't tell if the guy's a scammer or just a chump

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
meet him @ walmart parking lot find a plug on a light pole or smth

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
or don't cause gently caress ppl who flake out on CL

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

yeah idfk. i would sever right now but this thing is sick

oh cool i was going to link the post and it's been deleted now. aaaaaargh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sdr adventures:

i plugged in the stick and did the little sdrsharp batch installer, it got all the weirdo drivers and poo poo. sadly though I wasn't picking up much cause I didn't have a good surface for the antenna, or much height. And the laptop is running pretty hot, it's an old POS so it's gotta hump it a bit.

Anyways I said "hmm this is all linuxy, i wonder if there's a server" and sure enough I found a raspberry pi guide to make an rtlsdr server. I just followed the same steps and jammed the fucker into my Debian VM host. detected first time. started the server, holy poo poo holy poo poo i have a remote radio!

g wifi doesnt really play well with the 2.4 MS/sec sampling rate, but 1MS seems to be okay. I plugged in a cable to the laptop and it'll do 2.4 MS all day long through that. Response time and latency is good, and I was able to put the antenna on top of my server case which is at the very top of a closet. Still indoors, but I'm picking up so much more now.

I'd really like to see the limitations of the USB distance via really good quality cable or CAT6 and get this fucker up on the roof somehow

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

so this is like 3 hours away, idk if i wanna spend anything yet tho, im not sure what i want to do yet

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Woop! The 751A is a solid solid radio with excellent performance and one loving ginormous caveat. i have the 271a, the 2 meter all mode version, and it suffers from the same problem

basically in the early 80s, Icom designers were idiot shitlords and put some of the code that runs the radio not in ROM, not in an EPROM, but in motherfuckin' battery backed RAM. Obviously now that they're tickling 20-30 years old a lot of the backup batteries poo poo out, and when that happens, the little memory board zaps out and your rig goes braindead. Pretty much the two ways around this are to make sure teh battery is new/good (you can swap the battery but it's soldered so you have to temporarily solder another battery to a couple +/- pads on the board, desolder the original battery, put in the new one and detach your temp battery) OR to get an upgraded memory board from a company called Piexx (still in business) that reverse engineered it and improved the design. Latter solution is maybe a hundo? But your 751 will last forever after that. So there's your big bargaining chip with that rig if you choose to go hunt em down.

i really should go work for icom at this point

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
jonny 290 is like human radio wikipedia

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
haha i was jumping up and down 1mhz at a time just keeping an eye out for any obvious FM signals and i found something

its a wideband fm transmission of ESPN's audio. i think i just picked up my neighbor's wireless speakers

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

haha i was jumping up and down 1mhz at a time just keeping an eye out for any obvious FM signals and i found something

its a wideband fm transmission of ESPN's audio. i think i just picked up my neighbor's wireless speakers

yeah u prob did, im picking up the babby monitor

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i just heard the dog bark thru my computer lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ahaha the remote uplink for the FM station down the street is 948.500, it comes in better than their 104.9 signal

xd this is a hoot

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
are u just manually scanning up and down or have u played w/ any of the scanner plugins yet?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah if you hop up and down 1mhz at a time (click your mouse on the mhz digit at the top of sdrsharp and then arrow up/down) you will learn to recognize narrow and wide FM signals.

spurious carriers and birdies are single or grouped vertical lines
FM voice has constant level and varying width. compare the weather station/a local 2 meter repeater's signal with an FM broadcast signal
data signals have constant level and width, they often show up on the waterfall as a pair of close vertical lines

make sure you're opening the filters up if you're trying to send that data to another program. set your levels right but you probably dont want the low pass filtering if its just going to a program

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
ok yeah duh filter audio was checked. that should do it. now if only a cop would say smth so i could see

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
idk some fart sounds and SYNC:-DMR BS DATA flying across cmd window. based on their freqs on radio ref i dont think theyre trunking maybe theyre actually just sending data back n forth and not saying anything ugh the suspense is killing me.

i dont think its encrypted-- how would i tell tho?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you'll see a carrier come up and it look like a transmission, but no audio

i just hooked up an old program called PDW to sdrsharp and may or may not be decoding pagers*

*technically illegal

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
im uploading a vid right now but if thats the case they may be encrypted...

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6JX8wIU79Q

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hmm. i havent messed with PC decoding of digital stuff yet. lemme goof with DSD for a night and see what i can figure out

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

*technically illegal

lol why

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

welcome to the cheapo conputer radio club btw guys

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
this all sdr stuff seems way easier than hooking up my T90A to my computer. what's the best dongle for radio performance

edit: or do selectivity and sensitivity and poo poo even apply when it's SDR

edit: can i decode p25 with an SDR

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
the purpose-built bladerf/hackrf/funcube dongle/etc SDRs seem pretty cool

quote:

The bladeRF x115 comes with a larger 115KLE Cyclone IV FPGA that provides additional room for hardware accelerators and signal processing chains including FFTs, Turbo Decoders, transmit modulators/filters, and receive acquisition correlators for burst modems.

I don't know what that most of that means or how I'd use it, but it sounds cyberpunk as poo poo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

that sounds cool as hell but can you get it on ebay for under $20?

b/c i'd just get an RT2832 dongle

and u can do p25 with a program called DSD

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

atomicthumbs posted:

this all sdr stuff seems way easier than hooking up my T90A to my computer. what's the best dongle for radio performance

edit: or do selectivity and sensitivity and poo poo even apply when it's SDR

poo poo that matters: bandwidth and operating range. rule 36 answer: anything ettus makes

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

atomicthumbs posted:

you can try!!!!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i dont mean to brag but i may be getting a hackrf on indefinite loan and am tremendously excited

Barring CPU and bandwidth issues (my two annoyances so far) i'm pretty hooked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

i dont mean to brag but i may be getting a hackrf on indefinite loan and am tremendously excited

Barring CPU and bandwidth issues (my two annoyances so far) i'm pretty hooked

so im lookin @ that thing and wonderin why its got a USB and not a PoE NIC instead. idk. seems pretty cool tho

• Locked thread