Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
All that said about YMIW, a return by Moshe Kasher is pretty exciting. I'd welcome a run through some of the guests from the first wave of episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I just started listening to the Dana Gould hour, and man is that a weird show. It drives me nuts how he edits the thing; just let people breathe! I love big, free flowing podcasts like CBB or Never Not Funny, and the editing he does completely stifles that energy. Dana also makes it about himself super frequently, which for some reason I didn't expect from him.

That said, it can be pretty great to listen to and it's always interesting to hear people like Eddie Pepitone and Doug Benson just hanging around and shooting the poo poo in a non-performance context. I like Doug a lot more when he's just talking vs when he's hosting

Also "Two Guys From Boston" is loving bizarre because Dana can't do a Boston accent as well as he thinks he can; his normal speaking voice is so much more authentically from the area

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I like it a lot, but it's definitely weird and he makes a lot of weird choices. He also makes a lot of the same jokes and references over and over. I'm also really curious how his divorce happened, they'd been together for so long, adopted children together, and Dana seems like he'd be really low key in his home life. I guess it can happen to any relationship.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Riptor posted:

I just started listening to the Dana Gould hour, and man is that a weird show. It drives me nuts how he edits the thing; just let people breathe! I love big, free flowing podcasts like CBB or Never Not Funny, and the editing he does completely stifles that energy. Dana also makes it about himself super frequently, which for some reason I didn't expect from him.

That said, it can be pretty great to listen to and it's always interesting to hear people like Eddie Pepitone and Doug Benson just hanging around and shooting the poo poo in a non-performance context. I like Doug a lot more when he's just talking vs when he's hosting

Also "Two Guys From Boston" is loving bizarre because Dana can't do a Boston accent as well as he thinks he can; his normal speaking voice is so much more authentically from the area

I like free flowing conversational podcasts too, but Dana's show comes out pretty infrequently so I think its a pretty nice change of pace. I especially like the Hollywood history parts he puts in.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Drunkboxer posted:

I especially like the Hollywood history parts he puts in.

yeah that stuff is great

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Yeah, I like how focused it is. The editing and the way he sticks to a topic make it feel much tighter than most shows.

I also really appreciate that he tries to be interesting as well as funny. And it's nice to hear podcasters put effort and preparation into their shows.

Overall, it's a great show - I'm always glad to see a new one pop up.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
The Dana Gould Hour is a really great show and I've loved every episode of it overall, but there's usually one segment per episode that baffles and annoys me. Initially, it was Two Guys From Boston, but that came into its own in a big way. On the newest one, it was the Hollywood history segment, which started out super interesting until he started playing the same two clips from Secretary after everything he said, which made me further annoyed that he was spending most of the segment talking about Godzilla which had nothing to do with the topic, it was clearly just a cool story he wanted to talk about. Still, I'm happy to tolerate any of the weird choices he wants to go with so long as he keeps putting something out as this is one of my favorite podcasts.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I love the Hollywood history stuff but I'm a huge movie nerd, especially for film noir.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Talking about Godzilla never needs justification.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Just listened to the last James Bonding with PFT and it is gold. Mr Show playing Goldeneye and they randomly started doing Don Pardo, which had me in stitches

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Just listened to the last James Bonding with PFT and it is gold. Mr Show playing Goldeneye and they randomly started doing Don Pardo, which had me in stitches

MMMUUUUSSICALL GUESSSTT

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Slightly related but the first 12 minutes or so of this Nerd Poker episode they go on about their Halo LAN days that PFT was a part of. He isn't in the discussion but it's fun to picture a besuited PFT playing Halo.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/battle-bot/

It's also not a bad ep of Nerd Poker. I like the show but I couldn't recommend it to people who aren't into or don't know about D&D. This is a good episode to check out because they have Dave Anthony sit in as a character and he just gives the rest of them poo poo most of the time.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, when Janie Haddad tweeted about PFT playing Bioshock Infinite I was pretty surprised, while a lot of people play video games these days you don't expect someone like him to be one of them.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Playing Bioshock Infinite, he was probably getting wardrobe ideas.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Piquai Souban posted:

Playing Bioshock Infinite, he was probably getting wardrobe ideas.

Was this the episode of James Bonding where he was wearing a track suit? I can't really picture it. A fun game is trying to picture PFT in 'normal clothing'. He must wear shorts once in a while.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

The Ape of Naples posted:

It's also not a bad ep of Nerd Poker. I like the show but I couldn't recommend it to people who aren't into or don't know about D&D.

I don't know, I think if you've ever played or read fantasy stuff you'd enjoy it. If you have, try it out.

I never played D&D and I love the podcast, but you're definitely right that it's not for every comedy podcast fan.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

The Ape of Naples posted:

Was this the episode of James Bonding where he was wearing a track suit? I can't really picture it. A fun game is trying to picture PFT in 'normal clothing'. He must wear shorts once in a while.

I doubt it. He probably even has suits for working out in.

Tegan and Sankara
May 4, 2009

I saw his stand-up when he came to London and he has a bit about getting his driving license late in life, being sure he would have the best photo ID, and then finding out the DMV were going to use the photo they had of him already. Wearing a hoody. I felt like just that image was the funniest part of the show.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

This month is the five year anniversary of my podcast.

Unrelatedly, I put out a new episode.

http://loureads.com/2014/03/10/lou-reads-anonymous-confessions-from-2005/

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

At least twice on this week's Champs episode (Cipha), there's some weird edited-in clip of Neal Brennan playing (check around 27:20) in the post Douggpound era, no less. What is that voice saying?

edit: made it out on the 5th try, "huluplus/champs"

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 13, 2014

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

So apparently my podcast folder is 50GB and now I'm curious how big other peoples' folders are. So whip 'em out.

Although I think a lot of it is multiple files of the same episode. Podcasts change their file labeling occasionally and whenever I want to listen to an old episode of something I just redownload it instead of seeing if it's downloaded already because I'm a lazy.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Conduit for Sale! posted:

So apparently my podcast folder is 50GB and now I'm curious how big other peoples' folders are. So whip 'em out.

Although I think a lot of it is multiple files of the same episode. Podcasts change their file labeling occasionally and whenever I want to listen to an old episode of something I just redownload it instead of seeing if it's downloaded already because I'm a lazy.

i probably have maybe a GB on my phone and nothing on my computer because I just stream it from the website.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Politicalrancor posted:

i probably have maybe a GB on my phone and nothing on my computer because I just stream it from the website.

Well aren't you Mr. Fancy!

e: also what if the country becomes a dystopian nightmare and the corporations (who are the new gov't ofc) shut off the internet. then you'll have no podcasts to listen to in your free hour between working at the silicon mines and sleeping.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 16, 2014

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Well aren't you Mr. Fancy!

e: also what if the country becomes a dystopian nightmare and the corporations (who are the new gov't ofc) shut off the internet. then you'll have no podcasts to listen to in your free hour between working at the silicon mines and sleeping.

I can't listen to podcasts while mining? This New World Order has killed me.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Politicalrancor posted:

I can't listen to podcasts while mining? This New World Order has killed me.

Of course not. You're forced to listen to Jimi Hendrix all day as per the wishes of Lord Jobs (who isn't really dead).

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Of course not. You're forced to listen to Jimi Hendrix all day as per the wishes of Lord Jobs (who isn't really dead).

jimi with an I and the lovable lads from liverpool

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

126 GBs on my computer currently. I hardly ever delete anything, and at some point a year or two ago I started wondering why I had so little free disk space, so I ended up moving the really old stuff to an external drive, which currently has another 100 GB on it.

I'm pretty sure I have every single WTF, Adam Carolla (this one takes up the most space, they've had an episode 5 days a week for a few years now), and Comedy Bang Bang from the beginning.

Also my Ipod is like 70% podcasts at this point, I have to delete things occasionally when I load up new ones.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I blew away a lot of stuff when I switched laptops, but I still have gigs and gigs of Walking the Room and The Bugle.

I think I keep all of Thrilling Adventure Hour as well, in case I want to go nuts and re-listen to the whole thing.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

79.7GB, 1905 files within the folder(s). I don't really delete anything but I probably will if I ever run out of space.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Because I delete things after I listen to them, I usually have between. 5-1 GB of podcasts on my iPod. I haven't been able to get them all gone for about a year. Just a continuous refreshing of New ones.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

GoutPatrol posted:

Because I delete things after I listen to them, I usually have between. 5-1 GB of podcasts on my iPod.

Same. Right now I have 813.5 MB, which is far too much. I've got 19 hours to catch up on.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I have a podcast folder that's like 19GB but I have no idea why since I don't go back and relisten to any podcasts that often. I think Reality Show Show is the only one where I've listened to every episode more than once. I've relistened to a lot of the early Todd Glass Show episodes a ton too.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Are you guys scared Earwolf is going to eventually charge you to access the archives a la WTF or something?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Are you guys scared Earwolf is going to eventually charge you to access the archives a la WTF or something?

Deleting them is more work than not deleting them.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

And storage space is pretty cheap.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Most of my iphone's audio used to be podcasts. Then they introduced the podcast's app which made the listening process so cumbersome and painful that I don't have any podcast's on it anymore. If I had the money to buy a separate MP3 player I'd be really tempted to do so.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

RandomPauI posted:

Most of my iphone's audio used to be podcasts. Then they introduced the podcast's app which made the listening process so cumbersome and painful that I don't have any podcast's on it anymore. If I had the money to buy a separate MP3 player I'd be really tempted to do so.

Pick up a player out of the app store, like Downcast. It's much, much better than the podcasts app.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

WoG posted:

Deleting them is more work than not deleting them.

I only listen through Downcast on my iPhone, and it's set to delete old episodes automatically.

EDIT: heh, new post above me. I would second picking up Downcast.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Regarding Maximum Fun Drive: bonus episodes are only available for 5$/month and up, donation-wise, and not one-time donations? I'm happy to donate the equivalent of a few months worth, but would prefer a one-timer if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Yeah, downcast is awesome. I have it set to download all of my favorite podcasts automatically, and I have a smart playlist of second-tier podcasts so I can quickly flick through all of their most recent episodes at once to see if anything catches my eye.

The interface is decent but could be better. Once you get past that, it's pretty amazing.

I used to use another podcast app from the App Store, but ditched it the second time it crashed and lost my subscriptions. I wish I could remember its name now.

• Locked thread