Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
start running

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
The best way to get in shape is to go buy two of the biggest tubs of noexplode you can find. Bigger tub means more nutrients. Then take a preworkout before each meal. The working out will take care of itself.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Organized gym PT and by organized I mean we were just told to go to the gym one morning with little to no supervision is how I got the hernia that later got the pinched nerve that has me in my current daily pain predicament.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I have a knee ailment that comes back every once in a while I probably got from having to run on concrete 3 times a week for 8 months. Thanks Keesler!

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

shyduck posted:

I have a knee ailment that comes back every once in a while I probably got from having to run on concrete 3 times a week for 8 months. Thanks Keesler!

This is what I meant when asking about how to approach running: I'm surrounded by concrete and not having run consistently in a long while, I think I may end up hurting myself by hulking out four times a week running hard. The distance wouldn't be too long, only a mile or two each time, but that may be just enough to gently caress myself up. Is it always bad to run on concrete? What about shoes? How much they matter? I don't understand how humans have roamed most of our existence without shoes or just sandals or pieces of leather on our feet and now a lot of people get injured by running a few kliks. poo poo's weird.

I've been doing bodyweight for cardio, like 150 burpees plus squats and lunges and such. It's proven to be really good conditioning for judo and grappling, but my running still sucks.

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 4, 2014

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, try and avoid running on the hardest surface you could possibly find. It's not terrible once in a while, but it's gonna wear you down eventually if you do it constantly.

If you can't find grass, go to a gym and use the treadmill. Despite looking like a reasonably hard surface, the machines give a little and I find them to be pretty easy on my knees. A lot loving better than concrete or asphalt.

Start off slow. As slow as you need to. If you can only do 5 kph for a single km, then gently caress it, there's your starting point. Once you feel reasonably comfortable with it, increase your distance. Once you're comfortable with that, a little bit more. Once you get to the target distance for your test that you are taking, then start lifting your speed. If you feel that you aren't getting a real workout then raise the distance again.

There aren't any real hard and fast rules with getting better at running except for these: Take it easy with the increases. Don't get all boner motarded about it, just increase slowly. And don't run everyday, once every 3 days is plenty. And the last one: running is gay. If you don't keep up your running schedule you will lose speed and distance really quick.

Oh, and running when still drunk from the night before will get your some awesome times.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
A quality post, thank you. There's a park and a bit of forest a few kliks away, I could go there with a bicycle. It would be a bit more time consuming but probably be worth it. And yes, running is super gay.

not caring here posted:

Oh, and running when still drunk from the night before will get your some awesome times.

Wait, what

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

ManOfTheYear posted:

A quality post, thank you. There's a park and a bit of forest a few kliks away, I could go there with a bicycle. It would be a bit more time consuming but probably be worth it. And yes, running is super gay.

Wait, what

Anesthesia, blood thinning, plus if it's beer then fucktons of carbs. It's really, really popular to pound one down before a PT test or run. Downside is it starts wearing off after the first mile-ish, but by then you're usually over the "Oh Jesus gently caress running is gay, everything is gay, gently caress this gay earth" feeling. Either that or you just hit that perfect delta between hammered enough to carry you through the entire run but not visibly drunk.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

ManOfTheYear posted:

Wait, what

dude, you're talking about running less than a loving mile. unless you are insanely fat and crippled, you should be able to do that pretty easily. if you are worried about concrete loving up your brittle joints, find a local highschool or something and run on their track.

you have a year. to run a mile.

you are making this way harder than you need to.

most military nerds end up getting broken because running in formation almost every day on asphalt for 5+ miles isnt really great on your legs.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Do sprints. Lots of sprints. Less than a mile is a joke.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

ManOfTheYear posted:

Wait, what

Dude, you do judo and calisthenics and poo poo already, a mile won't be a challenge as long as you don't completely stop PT and start binge drinking and pounding pizza every night between now and then.

You'll be fine.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Thump! posted:

binge drinking and pounding pizza every night

this is pretty much what i do and im pretty sure i could still pull off an 8 minute mile

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks for the answers guys. I probably am making too much of a deal about little running, but I really don't know jack poo poo about it. How hard is it to run a mile in 6 minutes? What about 5 or 4? Six is enough, but I'm figuring that if I completely hulk the fitness test, it might help me to stand out from the other applicants a bit. Plus it would be fun to be a bit more fit.

A judo friend of mine tried to apply to the fire department and he was supposed to run a two miles in the fitness test. When he started practicing, he got shin splits almost instantly and it didn't heal in time for the test. I'm stupid enough to pull a trick like that too, so I'm being a bit cautious.

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 5, 2014

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
6 minutes is pretty goddamn fast.

5 is beyond my comprehension.

You need to put down the bong if you think 4 is an option.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ManOfTheYear posted:

Thanks for the answers guys. I probably am making too much of a deal about little running, but I really don't know jack poo poo about it. How hard is it to run a mile in 6 minutes? What about 5 or 4? Six is enough, but I'm figuring that if I completely hulk the fitness test, it might help me to stand out from the other applicants a bit. Plus it would be fun to be a bit more fit.

A judo friend of mine tried to apply to the fire department and he was supposed to run a two miles in the fitness test. When he started practicing, he got shin splits almost instantly and it didn't heal in time for the test. I'm stupid enough to pull a trick like that too, so I'm being a bit cautious.

I'm not military and just lurk here, but nobody else has pointed you this way so I'll step in:
If you're looking for specific running info you should probably look at the dedicated running thread in the fitness subforum. The OP alone has a lot of info you'll need, like exercises you can do to avoid injury, and should give you an idea of how much you should run.

6 minutes is a very fast pace for multiple miles, though because it's just a single 1.5k it's probably doable in a year, because you can end the run with nothing at all left in your tank. It will all depend upon where you stand cardio-wise at the moment.

Edit: Just so you know a 4 minute mile is incredibly fast, and the first time a human being was recorded doing so (that's accepted by modern sporting bodies) was as recent as 1954, so, uh, don't expect to be able to do that. Ever.

\/\/ a thousand pardons your enlistedship! :worship:

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 5, 2014

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

LimburgLimbo posted:

I'm not military and just lurk here, but nobody else has pointed you this way so I'll step in:
If you're looking for specific running info you should probably look at the dedicated running thread in the fitness subforum. The OP alone has a lot of info you'll need, like exercises you can do to avoid injury, and should give you an idea of how much you should run.

6 minutes is a very fast pace for multiple miles, though because it's just a single 1.5k it's probably doable in a year, because you can end the run with nothing at all left in your tank. It will all depend upon where you stand cardio-wise at the moment.

Edit: Just so you know a 4 minute mile is incredibly fast, and the first time a human being was recorded doing so (that's accepted by modern sporting bodies) was as recent as 1954, so, uh, don't expect to be able to do that. Ever.

This is the military PT thread. We don't take kindly to people suggesting that running lots of fun sweet miles is actually fun and cool and good for your body and health and not "bad on your knees for some reason?!!". So piss off.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Because of the stupid way the military conducts PT it has ruined running for a lot of people. Of course I haven't had to participate in organized PT other than a yearly test in 5 years, so I like running.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Do an untimed jog of 2-5 miles once a week, then do interval training at your target pace 1-2 times a week. There's no secret pill or goofy toe shoes to buy. You have to train hard and work on your speed if you want to get fast. Since you already claim to have the conditioning in your lungs, you should be able to hit a sub 6 minute mile in a couple of months. It's not hard. Stop asking questions about how difficult it is and go train to find out for yourself. If you need ideas on programming look up 5k to couch programs, or hit up that running thread.

If you're worried about injuring yourself, just be sure to minimize the risk by doing dynamic stretches before you run, and static after. Most common running injuries are preventable by simple stretches and icing sore areas. Hit the it band, quad, hips, hamstring, lower back, and calf muscles. If you have no clue where to start, look up Defranco's agile 8. I run on hard packed surfaces and concrete 3-4 times a week, and while I get pain sometimes (who doesn't), it's always manageable and never turns into anything serious because I've built myself up for it by taking care of my body, and easing into a running program instead of jumping in head first.

Last week of 5/3/1 was a couple weeks ago
bench 9x225
dl 14x405
squat 16x315
ohp 9x135 (weak)

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 5, 2014

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
If you can run a 4 minute mile you need to say gently caress the police and start training for the olympics.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Full Battle Rattle posted:

If you can run a 4 minute mile you need to say gently caress the police and start training for the olympics.

comin straight from the underground

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

elite_garbage_man posted:

ohp 9x135 (weak)

Are we talking normal standing OHP? Because I can crank out 2 plate seated OHP like it's nothing but standing makes me feel like a little bitch every time. Might just be an imbalance between my retard-strong back and (relatively) weak core.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
It's standing OHP. It definitely has to do shoulder and lat flexibility, and I've been working on some new stretches since I last did that. We'll see if there are any improvements next week when I start my new strength cycle.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Oh man the dude who made insanity and hip hop abs is coming to school, I'm about to get shredded.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

It's standing OHP. It definitely has to do shoulder and lat flexibility, and I've been working on some new stretches since I last did that. We'll see if there are any improvements next week when I start my new strength cycle.

Dude your numbers are awesome. I remember last year your numbers were comparable to mine but poo poo man.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Casimir Radon posted:

Because of the stupid way the military conducts PT it has ruined running for a lot of people. Of course I haven't had to participate in organized PT other than a yearly test in 5 years, so I like running.

I'm a UFPM for my squadron, and thank christ I volunteered for this. It's allowed me to steer an entire squadron away from running 5Ks on concrete and "it's PT day, lets do the PT test 3 times a week!" type bullshit. If it's one thing I've noticed since being in the air force, it's that most folks have zero idea what it means to build any actual muscle whatsoever.

Everyone once in awhile, some thin-as-rails airman will come asking me "why don't we do a 5k more? I like running and having the build of a sloth!" Because most people can just go out and run somewhere. If I asked this person to build any kind of meaningful strength, he'd do push-ups till he tore his shoulders to hell for improper form and refusing to do anything with his back because "what the hell are back muscles?" I get that the run for us is important since it garners the most points, but holy poo poo it shocks the hell out of me when people/entire squadrons don't understand why only doing PT sessions revolving around the PT Test with no halfway decent supervision from a fitness person has caused PT failures and a slew of injuries.

Thankfully, I have 2 things to help me: A 1st-time commander who has basically said "fix this program, whatever it takes. Here's the stick to hit people with!" and a group of PTLs comprised of a former power-lifting competitor, a yoga instructor, and a bunch of other just "I need to be in shape whatever it takes!" people for PTLs. Having full control and a slew of people who give a poo poo about fitness and injury prevention is amazing, especially in a comm squadron where 90% of the members were up till 3am last night playing starcraft or whatever the gently caress and just show up and do what they're told for PT.

For reference: my previous commander's PT policy was "3 days a week, show up at this time for announcements and then disperse for whatever you feel like doing!" Sounds great in theory, until about a year later when all the injuries, fat people, and PT failures "suddenly came out of no where, I'm shocked!"

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Ashmole posted:

Dude your numbers are awesome. I remember last year your numbers were comparable to mine but poo poo man.

The DL numbers really stand out. 14x405 is a ton of weight.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
egm gotta be built like a brick shithouse

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
It's the only way to be built.

I went to a power lifting clinic last week that was hosted at the local crossfit gym. Sounds funny, I know, but it was run by some SoCal dudes that compete in local strong man competitions that dabble a little in crossfit, but usually only compete in powerlifting and strongman stuff. Picked up some new stuff. Mainly for my bench technique like setup, not over extended my arms on the press, and leg drive. Got to try knee wraps for the first time and I can't say I'm completely sold on the idea of training with them. It was probably because I had a heavy leg day prior, but I didn't notice much of a difference out of the hole. I've got some pretty good rebound and explosiveness without them and typically my sticking point is the last 1/4 of the way up. The portion where knee wraps really don't help much if at all. Atleast they suggested not to train with them all the time and just save the wraps and belts for your max effort/heaviest work for the day.

Running is coming along. I can jog 2 miles without being completely gassed. Took about a month getting used to running with all this new weight hahaha. Now to work on getting my times down to sub 7 minute/mile pace, or faster.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

It's the only way to be built.

I went to a power lifting clinic last week that was hosted at the local crossfit gym. Sounds funny, I know, but it was run by some SoCal dudes that compete in local strong man competitions that dabble a little in crossfit, but usually only compete in powerlifting and strongman stuff. Picked up some new stuff. Mainly for my bench technique like setup, not over extended my arms on the press, and leg drive. Got to try knee wraps for the first time and I can't say I'm completely sold on the idea of training with them. It was probably because I had a heavy leg day prior, but I didn't notice much of a difference out of the hole. I've got some pretty good rebound and explosiveness without them and typically my sticking point is the last 1/4 of the way up. The portion where knee wraps really don't help much if at all. Atleast they suggested not to train with them all the time and just save the wraps and belts for your max effort/heaviest work for the day.

Running is coming along. I can jog 2 miles without being completely gassed. Took about a month getting used to running with all this new weight hahaha. Now to work on getting my times down to sub 7 minute/mile pace, or faster.

I'm starting to run again. Today was totally shameful. 9 minute mile and I was fuckin wiped. Too much whiskey and burgers lately.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've cut out a lot of stuff from my routine so my days are solely dedicated to just sets of squats, deadlifts, and bench. Well on bench days I do toss in chin-ups and triceps pull downs because I have a bit more time those days.

Anyhow, I pulled 420 lb for 5 reps two weeks and got 250 lb for a pretty solid triple on the bench. Sets of 3 and 5 reps lifting as heavy as I can each day seem to be the ticket for me. My squat still sucks: 300 for a triple is where I've been for a long while now.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Do you usually go for a max low rep attempt for all these lifts every week?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Do you usually go for a max low rep attempt for all these lifts every week?

Nope. Every 2-3 months just about. I'll shoot for 430x3 or 5 here in about May. As for bench, it's highly dependent on how I'm feeling that day and if my form is dialed in. I don't push my bench as much because I lift solo.

Squat-hardly ever. I really dislike squatting and would rather stay fresh for deadlift days.

bloops fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 20, 2014

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
whip, please embed this song into the thread tia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0_6pnKzPUc

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Internet Wizard posted:

Now that the FDA made everybody take DMAA out of their preworkouts you're better served by just taking some powdered creatine daily and slamming an energy drink before you leave for the gym. Maybe look into beta alanine and arginine if you feel like getting fancy.

Old post but I did a lot of reading and finally settled on prolab caffeine pills off of amazon. 100 pills for like $5? You can get fancy and find other ingredients normally found it pre-workouts but taking that + beta alanine works fine for me. I don't feel like i'm on meth which some people probably want but hey.

Hell they even have theseadvanced caffeine pills not sure on the differences. Reading reviews now.

If you take pre-workout for the creatine and beta alanine like an idiot just get some ON creatine mono A year supply is like $20? Beta-alanine is cheap, too. I also take an ECG extract which is a green tea extract. It gives some people an energy boost.

Here's some taurine pills. May give them a try http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001VKIK0/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

If you drink 20 monsters a day though and just can't get that pre-workout kick then stick to that borderline illegal poo poo that'll be illegal soon. Also going to reiterate all the Marines that were hospitalized for liver failure in Hawaii that were all taking oxyelite pro.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 20, 2014

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Christoff posted:

ON creatine mono

While that advice is pretty solid, ON creatine mono mixes like poo poo; it just goes down so gritty, like sand. Keep the sand in the vaginas, and out of my shake.

For what it's worth, for the price they can't be beat, but :barf:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

ON Creatine Mono goes down fine in a shake :shrug:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah I can't taste it at all in a protein shake.

Sometimes I even just take it down with some water in my mouth and even then I barely taste it.

I remember taking a creatine a while ago that was what I imagined battery acid to taste like. Terrible. ON creatine mono is virtually tasteless.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

I broke sub 14's for the first time ever running. I'm not sure if its the altitude of camp casey or the mandatory rucks, but I'm surprised since I gained like 15 lbs since my last pt test. I get to wear that gay little badge now (seriously who wears that).

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Just picked up a guy in our platoon who ran a 10 min 12 seconds his last PT test. We figured it had to be bullshit, or a typo or some drat thing.

Came in at 10 minutes 15 seconds.

The hosed up thing is he doesn't even look like he's all that tired afterwards. It makes me want to hurt him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
good luck catching him