Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

coffeetable posted:

finished the new brandon sanderson book

it is good bad fantasy

i don't remember anything at all of the first one, is it worth re-reading it or do you reckon i can work things out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
has anyone else read "the name of the wind"? i just finished it the other day and i have to say, for a blatant i'm-the-smartest-and-best-at-everything mary sue wankfest it's actually pretty damned entertaining

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

ol qwerty bastard posted:

has anyone else read "the name of the wind"? i just finished it the other day and i have to say, for a blatant i'm-the-smartest-and-best-at-everything mary sue wankfest it's actually pretty damned entertaining

yeah i really liked it even though it's not at all subtle about "he is literally the best at everything he tries". the sequel is p bad though, he out martial arts all the people in no-sexual-taboos asia and out marital arts a sex goddess fae thing. as much as i like the Denna romance being unorthodox it doesn't make up for every other thing in the book.

the only cool idea in the second book is that there's a tree that can see all possible futures so whenever it talks to somebody it says the exact thing that'll cause a butterfly effect and it can basically shape the world just from having the odd conversation with somebody that then inevitably goes on to do world-changing things.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

ah drat, i had high hopes for the second one; i'm only about 20% of the way through it at the moment

i was encouraged when one of elodin's lessons was secretly about godel's incompleteness theorem; i never expected to see that in a fantasy novel

oh well i'll finish reading it anyway

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
apprentice-san, you seem to have a boner watching me do these sword forms in my short robe and can't concentrate. can i suck your dick quickly so we can get back to training?

mad_muppet
Mar 5, 2014

AlsoD posted:

yeah i really liked it even though it's not at all subtle about "he is literally the best at everything he tries". the sequel is p bad though, he out martial arts all the people in no-sexual-taboos asia and out marital arts a sex goddess fae thing. as much as i like the Denna romance being unorthodox it doesn't make up for every other thing in the book.

the only cool idea in the second book is that there's a tree that can see all possible futures so whenever it talks to somebody it says the exact thing that'll cause a butterfly effect and it can basically shape the world just from having the odd conversation with somebody that then inevitably goes on to do world-changing things.

Except for the way too long Kung Fu wank-fest in the middle of the book, it wasn't AWFUL. I mean, at least the prose is well written and flows well. The world is consistent and the characters aren't complete cardboard cut-outs.

But yeah, it gets pretty tedious watching Kvothe be awesome at everything, plus an expert sex machine, etc etc etc. The Felurian bits are actually FAIRLY interesting despite being almost total wish fulfillment on the author's part.

Maybe he's taking so long with the third because he's somehow going to fix all of this, but it seems like a downward spiral in progress.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
is true detective actually any good

there are nerds going all apeshit over the fact that it apparently has a king in yellow theme going (and the king in yellow is admittedly a really loving cool thing that had enormous potential for storytelling) but is the show itself any good outside of that?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Heresiarch posted:

there are nerds going all apeshit over the fact that it apparently has a king in yellow theme going (and the king in yellow is admittedly a really loving cool thing that had enormous potential for storytelling) but is the show itself any good outside of that?

Its the best tv show ever made.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
It and breaking bad are apples and oranges but they're on the same level

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Best anything ever is dumb to say but it's amazingly good..

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

mad_muppet posted:

Except for the way too long Kung Fu wank-fest in the middle of the book, it wasn't AWFUL. I mean, at least the prose is well written and flows well. The world is consistent and the characters aren't complete cardboard cut-outs.

But yeah, it gets pretty tedious watching Kvothe be awesome at everything, plus an expert sex machine, etc etc etc. The Felurian bits are actually FAIRLY interesting despite being almost total wish fulfillment on the author's part.

Maybe he's taking so long with the third because he's somehow going to fix all of this, but it seems like a downward spiral in progress.
l@@k at this fuckin noob with his shift key :allears:

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
evidently if they get more seasons they're gonna do anthology stories and have different characters but keep the same cast, which is cool

also woody harrelson is cool as heck

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Gus Hobbleton posted:

i swear i was the only one who liked sgu

also i still think if they ever make another star trek series it should be an anthology of short stories about various people in and outside the federation rather than focusing on one ship/crew/whatever

SGU seems like it would have been a serviceable sci-fi show but somewhere during the development Sci-Fi decided to milk the franchise and slap the Stargate theme over it like a new coat of paint.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sgu was awful

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FMguru posted:

guest stars included scott "dilbert" adams and penn & teller

so yeah

adams was 4th season i think and a really quick cameo. penn & teller was 5th season.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
re: a new trek series

i just wanna see some goddamn romulans being shady is that too much to ask

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Beeftweeter posted:

re: a new trek series

i just wanna see some goddamn romulans being shady is that too much to ask

hmm sounds like star trek: insurrection might be what you're looking for???

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i mean star trek nemesis

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

l@@k at this fuckin noob with his shift key :allears:

except you need a shift key to make the at symbol. it looks like the noob here... is u

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
I feel like you could probably do a neat TV show in the Berserker universe, like Humanity isn't exactly top dog but you've got an enemy that is pretty alien without involving forehead ridges

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
and/or do Homeworld in the style of Battlestar Galactica and don't gently caress up the ending

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

angry_keebler posted:

evidently if they get more seasons they're gonna do anthology stories and have different characters but keep the same cast, which is cool

also woody harrelson is cool as heck

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yesssssssssssss

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Elder Postsman posted:

i mean star trek nemesis

there were like 3 romulans in that the rest were remans

also lovely poop bad movie

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Heresiarch posted:

matthew mcconaughey is fuckin incredible in it, he somehow manages to pull off 'jaded noir detective' without seeming cliche at all. the show fuckin owns.

the lovecraftian elements are only really suggested, there's nothing overtly supernatural at all (although i haven't seen the last ep)

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

raruler posted:

and/or do Homeworld in the style of Battlestar Galactica and don't gently caress up the ending

karan s'jet t&a shot

e: turrets and aft

vOv fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 5, 2014

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

raruler posted:

i feel like the homeworld asthetic is really particular to video games and couldn't really be pulled off in live action. maybe comic books or animation. it would actually probably make a good anime if it weren't for the fact that such a thing does not and cannot exist for reasons unrelated to the medium per se.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
legend of galactic heroes is the homeworld anime

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Jonad posted:

matthew mcconaughey is fuckin incredible in it, he somehow manages to pull off 'jaded noir detective' without seeming cliche at all. the show fuckin owns.

the lovecraftian elements are only really suggested, there's nothing overtly supernatural at all (although i haven't seen the last ep)

Ive always hated Matthew McConaughey because of all the dumb surfer heartthrob tabloid stuff but he's so good in it im going to have to go watch all of his movies

Also he's in my 2014 death pool

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

Ive always hated Matthew McConaughey because of all the dumb surfer heartthrob tabloid stuff but he's so good in it im going to have to go watch all of his movies

Also he's in my 2014 death pool

I can't blame anyone for having this opinion of him because its the only opinion possible to have until 2011 when he suddenly pulled a 180 and did Killer Joe. Watch Killer Joe. Also watch Mud.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
europa report report: good

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i started the man in the high castle, a couple chapters in now

is this what worldbuilding is supposed to look like?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
last nights poi was pretty good

boingthump
Oct 27, 2005

and i descend from grace

haveblue posted:

europa report report: good

One of the better 'found footage' movies.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

raruler posted:

I feel like you could probably do a neat TV show in the Berserker universe, like Humanity isn't exactly top dog but you've got an enemy that is pretty alien without involving forehead ridges

have the opening title theme be that song from Clerks

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

FMguru posted:

they were called "lurkers" (srsly)

ahah yeah

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Hell yeah this looks awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubGpDoyJvmI

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Transformers w/ marky mark + frasier

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
micheal bay is severely underrated

pain and gain was hilarious/horrifying.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
durr

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

(i secretly love all the transformers movies)

• Locked thread