Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
also i need to just wait and look @ uls in a couple of days lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PuTTY riot posted:

so im lookin @ that thing and wonderin why its got a USB and not a PoE NIC instead. idk. seems pretty cool tho

It's basically a dev board. If you don't have it on your bench hooked up to all sort of crazy poo poo, you're not using it right, haha

PuTTY riot posted:

also i need to just wait and look @ uls in a couple of days lol

heh ive been stalking u on there too

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Woop! The 751A is a solid solid radio with excellent performance and one loving ginormous caveat. i have the 271a, the 2 meter all mode version, and it suffers from the same problem

basically in the early 80s, Icom designers were idiot shitlords and put some of the code that runs the radio not in ROM, not in an EPROM, but in motherfuckin' battery backed RAM. Obviously now that they're tickling 20-30 years old a lot of the backup batteries poo poo out, and when that happens, the little memory board zaps out and your rig goes braindead. Pretty much the two ways around this are to make sure teh battery is new/good (you can swap the battery but it's soldered so you have to temporarily solder another battery to a couple +/- pads on the board, desolder the original battery, put in the new one and detach your temp battery) OR to get an upgraded memory board from a company called Piexx (still in business) that reverse engineered it and improved the design. Latter solution is maybe a hundo? But your 751 will last forever after that. So there's your big bargaining chip with that rig if you choose to go hunt em down.

i really should go work for icom at this point
i don't even understand this since ram had to have been more costly than an equivalent amount of rom

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

heh ive been stalking u on there too

lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Just ordered an MCX to SO-239 adapter so we can hook up a real antenna :D

(yes if I work with uhf/microwave I will order an SMA adapter but for now this will work with what I have available)

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
lol if you're not rolling all N and SMA with semi rigid coax loving everywhere and RG-316 (proest coax) for flexible jumpers

just lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

longview posted:

lol if you're not rolling all N and SMA with semi rigid coax loving everywhere and RG-316 (proest coax) for flexible jumpers

just lol

this unironically

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah well i got bills 2 pay

i literally dug up a 70 foot RG-8 run because i need the coax and cant spend a lot of bucks

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
never had a problem with eBay coax and SMA/N, RS and Farnell charge ridiculous amounts for coax

RG-316 is the best ham radio coax because most old timers have no idea what it actually is (hint: it's a teflon version of RG-174)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah if I build up an SDR with the config I want (switchable bandpass/notch filters, upconverter) i want to do it all with sma and 316. guess i should learn2crimp? ugh am i going to have to spend $120 for some industrial crimping tool gently caress gently caress gently caress

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
can i build a wideband omnidirectional receive antenna by sorta taking a log-periodic and rotating it through a circle through space

it would end looking like a cone made of solid rings, or maybe just rings of vertical elements

something like these except not horizontally connected

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
probably not, the connected rings would likely turn into loops and gently caress everything up

what you want is a discone

now that i have an sdr, we will be building a discone

oh also that reminded me to take pics of that lindenblad antenna i made. I took it off the mast last night and brought it in to thaw, then forgot

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

can i build a wideband omnidirectional receive antenna by sorta taking a log-periodic and rotating it through a circle through space

it would end looking like a cone made of solid rings, or maybe just rings of vertical elements

something like these except not horizontally connected

rip that one guy

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Hey Johnny did you build a Lindy with parasitic elements or driven? I'm working on a parasitic one for 430 sat stuff.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Dijkstra posted:

Hey Johnny did you build a Lindy with parasitic elements or driven? I'm working on a parasitic one for 430 sat stuff.

parasitic. It's bugging me because it should have a flatter SWR curve, it's great at 437, great at 445, but bumps up to 2:1 at about 442. but I'm not sure if I have insufficient RF choke on the feedline, or I have weird elements or something. It matches the dimensions +/- a mm or two tops (vs my MMANA model, not the PDF article it originated from), so it's buggin me

i'll post pics in a couple hrs

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

I have read/heard that moving the feedline slightly away from the bottom driven element and the re-fastening it can help the swr. I think people put some kind of non-conductive spacer in (like a small flat piece of wood or something) and that got it to play better sometimes.

Or maybe another ferrite around the coax.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah, see, I was a cheeky rear end in a top hat, and I'm running the coax inside of the bottom element (1/2" copper water pipe for the dipole, 1/4" alum rod for the directors), so I kind of get what I deserve. Still, I don't want to run the coax outside if I can figure out the angle. I know it can be done somehow

e: it really is all square up, that's just weirdo camera lens. still i havent really set the angles properly, need to get the ruler and level out

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Yeah I know people have done it that way but I can't remember if there is a trick to it or not.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
so like...i get that the letter the VE guy sent to the FCC office in Memphis (i guess?) is probably just getting there today if he mailed it Tuesday AM. I don't really care though, gimme my goddamn callsign u fucks.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah, it's still a paper system. windows 3.11 machines have trouble connecting to the internet =/

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
where do they even mail it to? i said memphis cause i thought i heard that somewhere but im looking around and dont see any FCC offices there idk

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah, it's still a paper system. windows 3.11 machines have trouble connecting to the internet =/

why not just do psk31 or smth then lol

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
jonny do u know a lot about p25 phase 2? ive been reading about it a lil and i guess MS is trying to be 100% p25 phase 2 and all the state agencies & plenty of others area already on it. it actually sounds rly fukken sw8 and i kinda wanna get a scanner but it seems like the best one to buy right now is 'wait 6 months and see what happens'

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
correct. I don't think Uniden has a Phase 2 capable scanner out yet (this was a big disappointment when the new ones came out in Jan). And if you are buying a non-Uniden scanner, well, just don't do that.

DSD might be the best answer for a little bit sadly

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
thats pretty lame. it seems like the tech is badass and will be around for a long time tho. im a lil confused on how they do backhaul tho, like how does a guy @ the north part of the state talk to the marine resources guys in gulfport harbor? fiber or some other backhaul freq?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah they run wireline or other circuits between all the sites. AWIN (arkansas's phase1 system) has all sorts of simulcast and cross-connects, and I hear police chases on there from south arkansas as long as ive got the talkgroup unlocked

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

The two new Uniden scanners are phase II capable, but lots of people are having problems with them because they aren't decoding some agencies right. Uniden is working on fixing the firmware but it's kind of crapshoot right now whether you local P25 agencies can be heard with the new uniden scanners. See my latest post in the ham radio thread for a summary of the clusterfuck

On the big P25 system in VA backhaul is done via microwave relay or Canopy (Motorola proprietary), but they may have some fiber links too, not sure.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dijkstra posted:

See my latest post in the ham radio thread for a summary of the clusterfuck

this is the ham radio thread :confused:

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

yeah you're right sorry

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Dijkstra posted:

yeah you're right sorry

that was a big post yeah wow not gonna get involved w/ that for a while. maybe whistler or whoever will surprise a lot of ppl?

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

If you can find a GRE PSR-800 for sale, it will decode P25 Phase II if it has the latest firmware. (and it can decode the early Moto X2 TDMA systems too) People were pretty happy with them before GRE went bankrupt. i see them on the ham swap sites for $400 or so.

now that uniden has kind of screwed up the release of their new scanners (so far) a lot of people who are agnostic about scanner manufacturers (read: not uniden fanboys) are waiting to see what whistler does

i'm waiting for a scanner that will decode P25 Phase II along with NXDN, TRBO etc. before i buy another one

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
yeah local PD is TRBO but i read something saying they'd eventually move to MSWIN like everyone else. FEMA or DoD or someone gave the state $100 million to put this system in after katrina so i hope they actually make it work. i know down on the coast its been everyone on p25 for a while now, i think theres even interop between states.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
TRBO is blowing the gently caress up and is the #1 contender for podunk departments that blew all their DHS cash and now need a cheap digital system (it's positioned way downmarket from P25 and LTE). it's the top want on the scanner features list for me right now.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
can trbo be part or p25 or is it a totally separate system? like when local PD goes to mswin do they all get new radios and tear down the old repeater?

p25 provisioning is super cool too btw

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
here's a p lol motorola promo video w/ our shithead gov

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLO1O0rKod4

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

TRBO is blowing up but lots of local PDs/Sheriffs thet jumped in early are realizing they got conned into TRBO systems by shady mom & pop 2-way companies in the past several years and now most of them hate them because they don't work well if coverage is spotty. There is some kind of capacity plus option for TRBO to help with this but most places couldn't afford it and wish they had their old analog system back.

TRBO is separate from P25 and they aren't interoperable without a lot of special interfacing on both ends and lots of $$$ AFAIK

So some counties (at least in VA) are trying to come up with the bridge money needed to get P25 systems so they can hook into the state and adjoining counties. They have to literally buy a TRBO radio for each trooper that covers part of their county so they can talk to them directly. If the TRBO system doesn't work well there they have to use phones

all of the departments that blew their DHS money on stupid poo poo like armored personnel carriers for their SWAT teams to deploy to 3am barking dog calls probably wish they had some of it back

Dijkstra fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 6, 2014

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
fukken ULS come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Should be getting the SDR adapter in today, going to hook it up to real antennas and see how it does. Also I found my PSK31 adapter so maybe I'll drag my laptop out to the driveway and we'll make a little PSK youtube

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

hope you get your ticket soon Putty

more scanner dweeb chat:

here's why you shouldn't buy a 536 yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq7lKqHzhNA

This is a Phase I P25 system in the video. A 10 year old GRE scanner decodes it fine but the Uniden sits there and BRRRRRRRRRRaaaaaaashhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

(the Uniden scanner has the latest firmware fix too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

quote:

The air waves in Fayetteville are about to get funkier.

The folks behind Fayetteville Community Radio, a planned low-power non commercial radio station, say they are in the final stages of receiving approval from the FCC to begin broadcasting in Fayetteville, and now they just need a few pieces of equipment to get started.

An event to raise funds for a transmitter, studio equipment, and a other needed items to get the station off the ground is planned for next Sunday, March 16 At Greenhouse Grille.

The new station, spearheaded by local resident and media enthusiast Joe Newman, will broadcast on 97.3 FM and will feature local programming including news, commentary, music, cultural shows, and literary programs.

Newman has lead meetings on the project for over a year after the FCC announced it was opening selected frequencies across the U.S. for local broadcast.

“The FCC has rarely offered licenses like this and, as available frequencies are quickly being exhausted by awards to commercial ventures,” Newman said. “We saw this as a golden opportunity for a grassroots “people’s voice” station to prevail.”

Newman said he hopes to have the station up and running in the latter part of this year.

The fundraiser set for next weekend will include live music by singer/songwriters Susan Shore, Michael Cockram, Warren Dietzel and Ginny Garber, a silent auction, food by local chefs, door prizes, and more.

You'd better believe that I am hitting them up as hard as I can to see if they need any engineering help, equipment or other resources.

This would be a great resume item.

e: gently caress, they may not be up by the time i'm moved. Still, good opportunity to reach out

• Locked thread