Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

DoctorWhat posted:

put this post in a museum :buddy:

Well, if you insist. But can we make sure not to dangle it from the ceiling by wires? It wasn't engineered to withstand that direction of force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Yes, I'm literally in the KKK because speciesism seems more accurate than racism.

C'mon you guys.

Apollodorus posted:

What makes me pretty sure you're joking is that there's no way you can argue that there isn't a racial element to the Cardassian treatment of Bajorans, or that the stuff Gul Dukat says about Bajorans (both the patronizing bullshit and the crazy "I should have killed them all!" stuff) isn't vehemently racist. Or, for that matter, Captain Solok's borderline-hate speech towards humans and his calling the Niners all "humans" despite the fact that most of them weren't Terran.

Or, get this, they're not the same species so they just don't give a poo poo about non-Cardassians. Like I give no shits about a cow except how to transform them into milk-machines that get turned into hamburgers.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 5, 2014

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Look at this Stormfront motherfucker.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Sash! posted:

Yes, I'm literally in the KKK because speciesism seems more accurate than racism.

C'mon you guys.

Or, get this, they're not the same species so they just don't give a poo poo about non-Cardassians. Like I give no shits about a cow except how to transform them into milk-machines that get turned into hamburgers.

Yes but you don't also have sex with the cows and produce halfbreed offspring.

The humanoid aliens in Star Trek are people, plain and simple. The Founders don't treat solids like people, they treat solids like dangerous, intelligent animals who must be tamed (Jem'Hadar, Vorta), enticed with treats (Cardassians, Breen), or exterminated (Humans, Klingons, Vulcans, Romulans, those people who got the Quickening, etc.). Q doesn't treat humans as people, though to his (or maybe our?) credit he sees the potential of humans to become truly intelligent in the way the Q are. The Prophets also don't treat humans as people, but rather as tools to use in order to preserve what they consider to be the order of the galaxy. THAT is more like your beef analogy. The Sisko is as a mere hamburger to the Prophets.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 5, 2014

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Apollodorus posted:

Yes but you don't also have sex with the cows and produce halfbreed offspring.

You don't know that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sash! posted:

C'mon you guys.

Why not just call it racism, though? Racism is an accurate term for what we see on the screen. Most of the Trek aliens are capable of producing hybrid offspring, although presumably with some medical assistance, and those hybrids in turn are capable of reproduction. Even leaving aside any questions of ethics and complex philosophy aside, this is obviously equivalent to the different 'races' among humanity, simply with some actual biological markers (green blood, forehead ridges) that are probably more genetically consequential than exists between human 'races'.

As for the specific example, the Cardassians seemed amply aware that Bajorans were intelligent beings, even if they obviously looked down on them. I just watched Civil Defense last night, and Gul Dukat was talking about how the Bajoran workers were skilled laborers and if they stood down they would be apprehended but not harmed, their families would be safe, etc. While Dukat is an rear end in a top hat, this was presumably something he felt had at least a slender chance of working successfully; if nothing else he is implicitly imputing value, if only economic value, to Bajorans. This is certainly more nuanced than 'they aren't the same species as us, so our moral relation to them is like that between humans and cows.'

For that matter, of course, I recall Riker name-dropped that they don't 'enslave animals for food' any more, although I suppose there's also that Cajun restaurant Sisko's father owned. Then again, perhaps he replicated his raw ingredients. Would replicated meat be vegan, I wonder? Considering there was presumably a cow involved in the creation of steak_diane.replicator.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

C'mon you guys.

You wanna know something? Everybody's human.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

This thread is no more than a 'homo sapiens' only club.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Have we not heard the chimes at midnight last call?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Alchenar posted:

The problem with VI is that the last bit of Kirk/the crew's moral arc is the rape/show-trial of Valeris. Scotty and Uhura are pretty distressed at what's happening, but Kirk is insistent and unapologetic and Spock is absolutely brutal.

They have a little scene afterwards where Spock's all "I have no idea what to believe anymore" and Kirk's like "nah forget that, time to save the world again" and that's that.

I'm willing to give VI a little more credit here and suppose that maybe they left it hanging to bring whether or not we our heroes had really moved past our their racism speciesism and Cold War Klingon War paranoia or if we they just learned to hide it better and suppress it now and then for the sake of practicality while not actually changing all that much.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

iraqniphobia posted:

this is how they shot it.

Please everyone take a moment and appreciate how much this owns

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Not to instantly poo poo on all CGI, but there's just something magical about knowing that the Enterprise was once a real, physical object that someone photographed.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Apollodorus posted:

(Humans, Klingons, Vulcans, Romulans, those people who got the Quickening, etc.)

What, Immortals? When the gently caress did the Clan Macleod get involved with Star Trek?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What, Immortals? When the gently caress did the Clan Macleod get involved with Star Trek?

Not sure if you're joking but that plague that Bashir cures that the Founders started was also called the Quickening.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Yeah, I was disappointed when I finally saw the DS9 episode too.

Highlander/Star Trek crossover would have been better.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

These last two pages have simultaneously been the best and worst. Is this the true meaning of bij?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Do we have extra security checks for identical twins today?

I used to work at a company that sold surveilance gear to the SASR (Special air service regiment), basically australias special forces hard-arses.

There was a pair of identical twin brothers who worked for them, both good guys actually, but loving confusing when dealing with them as they both had to wear identical army uniforms.

Apparrently it made for exciting times on exercises with the americans when the yanks would freak out because there was the same guy shooting at them from two different locations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cobalt Chloride posted:

These last two pages have simultaneously been the best and worst. Is this the true meaning of bij?

Well, now we're talking about Highlanders being from "space" instead, are you happy?
It goes
someone said "rape"
someone got mad about it
discussion about rape
is it racist to hate klingons?
Highlander 2

I mean seriously.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tighclops posted:

Not to instantly poo poo on all CGI, but there's just something magical about knowing that the Enterprise was once a real, physical object that someone photographed.

Still is. :)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Alchenar posted:

The problem with VI is that the last bit of Kirk/the crew's moral arc is the rape/show-trial of Valeris. Scotty and Uhura are pretty distressed at what's happening, but Kirk is insistent and unapologetic and Spock is absolutely brutal.

If it makes you feel any better, Nick Meyer isn't happy about that scene in retrospect.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I'm not happy about Valeris' sideburns. What the gently caress were they thinking?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm not happy about Valeris' sideburns. What the gently caress were they thinking?

That was entirely Cattrall's idea. Because she knew the character had originally been written as Saavik, she wanted her appearance to be pretty far from previous incarnations -- so she shaved her sideburns.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Timby posted:

At the most important place - the gift shop!

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I was always disappointed that Vulcan women went from beehives and shiny poo poo to really boring sameness but with slightly longer hair sometimes. And then retroactively boring sameness with slightly longer hair and a catsuit for some reason.

Basically what I'm saying is that I love T'Pring and hate T'Pol.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bobkatt013 posted:

At the most important place - the gift shop!

The model isn't structurally sound enough anymore to be suspended or hung, as I mentioned a page or two ago. As the Smithsonian rotates exhibits semi-frequently, and it themes its placements (you aren't going to see stuff about the Mars Rover alongside '50s airplanes or whatever), there wasn't really a way to give the Enterprise a permanent home. However, as part of the renovations of the museum a while back, the new three-story gift shop was installed, and so the Enterprise was placed in the lower level -- you can get close to it and examine it in detail, but it's on a stand so the model doesn't suffer any further structural degradation.

It's not the most optimal solution, but it makes sense.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm just going to say this. I miss Enterprise, and wish it had seven seasons. I want to see more Romulans and Orions and Andorians.

I. MISS. Enterprise. :stonk:

iraqniphobia
Aug 21, 2003

Since the original studio model has been posted a few times, we should post more.
NCC-1701D

DS9

Voyager

Is the NX-01 all CGI? Can't find any studio models for it.

iraqniphobia fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 5, 2014

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

iraqniphobia posted:

Yep. Voyager went to all-CGI near the end of its run and NX-01 only existed as a computer-generated model.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Timby posted:

The model isn't structurally sound enough anymore to be suspended or hung, as I mentioned a page or two ago. As the Smithsonian rotates exhibits semi-frequently, and it themes its placements (you aren't going to see stuff about the Mars Rover alongside '50s airplanes or whatever), there wasn't really a way to give the Enterprise a permanent home. However, as part of the renovations of the museum a while back, the new three-story gift shop was installed, and so the Enterprise was placed in the lower level -- you can get close to it and examine it in detail, but it's on a stand so the model doesn't suffer any further structural degradation.

It's not the most optimal solution, but it makes sense.

Pity. Imagine if you could hang it from the roof.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

iraqniphobia posted:

Since the original studio model has been posted a few times, we should post more.
NCC-1701D

I always got a kick how the flagship of the Federation had a crooked starboard nacelle.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Sash! posted:

C'mon you guys.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

MikeJF posted:

Pity. Imagine if you could hang it from the roof.

One of my local theatres has a pretty big Enterprise-E model hanging from the lobby ceiling. It's been there at least fifteen years.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

What was the coffin shaped greebly meant to be anyway?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tsaedje posted:

Pretty sure it was intended as a giant-rear end sensor array.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Tsaedje posted:

Its to keep all the dead Harry Kim clones.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Timby posted:

gently caress this is some nasty-rear end airbrushing on this sweet thing.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

iraqniphobia posted:

NCC-1701D

DS9

Voyager

It's such a damned crime this poo poo was sold off to some neckbeard fan who will eventually destroy them.

THEY BELONG IN A MUSEUM. :argh:

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

They should put the model in front of the Mona Lisa in the Louvre for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Wowbagger2004 posted:

They should put the model of the 1101A in front of the Mona Lisa in the Louvre for real.

:colbert:

• Locked thread