Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

It's problem number 15 if you're actually interested in looking for the solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

White to try not to laugh.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

xopods posted:

White to try not to laugh.

I'm confused.
If black's objective is to escape or live, then L8.

I no matter what white plays the black group on the left can be saved as well.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 28, 2014

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Senor P. posted:

I'm confused.

It's not a tsumego, just a joke about how awful Black's shape is.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

It's not a tsumego, just a joke about how awful Black's shape is.

Xopods, take over for me. I want to atari at a5 and then connect b5 to save my heavy poo poo.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611683&pagenumber=2

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Xo, regarding white 14 in your example for that tsumego, why doesn't black just ladder and play t13?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

Xo, regarding white 14 in your example for that tsumego, why doesn't black just ladder and play t13?

Because playing a ladder atari on the first line rather than just driving down to the edge to capture is a weird move that doesn't occur to amateur dans when we're clicking through a sequence. It takes a DDK to point out that the Emperor has no clothes.

But okay, how about this:

http://eidogo.com/#su8Xyk3S

Just push in instead of striking through. The same shortage of liberties exists to allow the cutting stone to live if Black tries to capture, and if he backs down then White can escape as in the other variation.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Status?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xom posted:

Status?
Alive because of F2? White can connect at D1 no matter what, and F2 allows development of at least one eye with E1.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

White is dead because you can ladder her backwards into your stones after G3 and then extending the atarid stone, this sets up the ladder.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Hell, H3 will probably do it too

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

White is dead because you can ladder her backwards into your stones after G3 and then extending the atarid stone, this sets up the ladder.
Neat.

How about now?

EDIT: argh ninja'd H3 solves this one too
EDIT EDIT: unless W H2 works

Xom fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 2, 2014

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

These problems show why in this shape the hane/throw-in at B D1 is so much better than the vital point placement at B1. Sometimes this bridge under does work to escape, but not if E1 is in atari.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
What I had in mind was: Is there a standard way to chase along the side here, or can White manage to make another eye eventually, and in that case does 'eventually' require reaching the opposite corner (which wouldn't happen in a real game)?

That loose ladder upward is a neat trick, though!

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Depends on the global situation.

I think in most cases you should be aiming to keep white as low as possible and reap the benefits of outside influence. White will have to run along a bit on the second line to make that other eye.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Kheldragar here's that lecture I told you about :

Bat's Lecture Series - Nov 16th - Ama vs Pro

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

That looks interesting. :munch:

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008

Xom posted:

Kheldragar here's that lecture I told you about :

Bat's Lecture Series - Nov 16th - Ama vs Pro

Go easy game

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

For a similar idea, check out this recent review too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaJtSIr7hKQ

White just keeps it cool as a cucumber and black's world crumbles under the influence. I see this a lot at the moment, the 3k and 4k players are much calmer and less greedy than 5k and 6k.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Some guy on ogs had 17 9x9 ranked games up, so I challenged him to all of them. He got mad.

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

Kheldragar posted:

Some guy on ogs had 17 9x9 ranked games up, so I challenged him to all of them. He got mad.

I can't imagine why he might be mad that you challenged him to seventeen games at once.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

What could go wrong with playing simul like that!? :v:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

This is why you look at the board before making endgame moves like this. :engleft: I won by 10.5 at the end which is only B+4.5 with komi, but still.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

DDKs could equally be described as DAKs.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

DDKs could equally be described as DAKs.

I'm not sure I know what a DAK is.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

I'm not sure I know what a DAK is.

Double atari kyus, in reference to your above blunder.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Just you wait; I'll soon be a dan and then giving you a handicap! :v:

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

Just you wait; I'll soon be a dan and then giving you a handicap! :v:

Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I won the shape game!

It wasn't about playing lightly so much as threatening to kill black's "weak" groups.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

It wasn't about playing lightly so much as threatening to kill black's "weak" groups.

Yeah, the thing about the shape game is that Black needs to play shapely moves too, and focus on attacking vital points. You can let White capture single stones as long as you falsify the resulting eye, but if you try to attack too tightly or focus on sealing White in (which is unnecessary because he is already sealed in on a large scale), you give him forcing moves which eventually let him start to make eyes.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

Yeah, the thing about the shape game is that Black needs to play shapely moves too, and focus on attacking vital points. You can let White capture single stones as long as you falsify the resulting eye, but if you try to attack too tightly or focus on sealing White in (which is unnecessary because he is already sealed in on a large scale), you give him forcing moves which eventually let him start to make eyes.

N4 was a forcing move that threatened to capture tne m4 group, so after that I got the extra lib to play o6 which placed a stone in atari (Though that would've been ko and I think black could've ignored). But he filled and I hane'd a second time at p7, got double atari'd, extended again which threatened capture of the group, I think, and then got the second eye in a net! The straight three was due to aji in L14.

I guess if it was you playing I wouldn't do so well. :sigh:

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Lemme in on OGS, I am an idiot noob bitch

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

I guess if it was you playing I wouldn't do so well. :sigh:

We can try again some time if you like.

The Shape Game is really counter-intuitive, because it's rare in a real game situation that there's really nowhere for the opponent to run - and the difficulty of winning as White shows why that is... even with a 17x17 open space it's very hard to live if you can't threaten to connect to something live or live along the edge, so no moyo is going to be big enough to live inside if none of those sorts of options are present.

But yeah, Black can go very wrong if he tries too hard to trap and kill White immediately. You can let White sprawl across the whole board if need be, as long as you make sure he doesn't make eyes.

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost

fresh catchphrase posted:

Lemme in on OGS, I am an idiot noob bitch

KGS is better when you're an idiot noob bitch, as OGS games are mostly slow

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

sensual donkey punching posted:

KGS is better when you're an idiot noob bitch, as OGS games are mostly slow

I cannot play correspondance for poo poo. gently caress ogs. I'm 6d on there just because I can.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

KGS is ugly

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
kind of true, but its game of black and white circles. kgs has better social features, teaching / review function and a much larger active playerbase. ogs is prettier though

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
Yeah feature and playerbase-wise KGS wins hands down. You generally want to get a ton of games in relatively quick to get a grasp on things if you're really new and OGS just doesn't really seem quite as set for that. I'm hoping the KGS HTML client is a tad nicer at least.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
They are making an HTML version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Athanos posted:

They are making an HTML version?

I'm more surprised by the fact that kgs is apparently MAKING SOMETHING