Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I will know how enthusiastic I am about it when I get to work in an hour and see what the commission is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

FordPRefectLL posted:

I will know how enthusiastic I am about it when I get to work in an hour and see what the commission is.

They already told us what ours is, it's exactly the same as a new/upgrade 2-year. And a $10 spiff for each edge activation for the next 3 months.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, my parents want to add a line to my plan for my little brother that they will be paying. They have a spare feature phone laying around that they're going to give him to use, so I figure I'll use this as an opportunity to grab a spare phone. Is there anything stopping me from getting a Moto X, activating it, then activating the feature phone and dropping the data plan? I know this would have worked in the past (and have done it a few times), but I remember rumors of them closing up this kind of loophole. Also, do the Moto X and Note 3 use the same size sim card? I love my Note, but wouldn't mind being able to swap back and forth, depending on my mood.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Dumb question, but have you paid your bill?

I'm a part of a family plan where I barely see the main account holder but as far as I'm aware yes everything is paid and current.

Second dude at the verizon store said the phone is bricked which loving sucks because I was pretty happy with the Maxx HD and planned to keep it for another year. Anyways I guess its time for a new phone. What do guys like between the new Droid Maxx and the LG G2? I like the battery life and wireless charging on the Maxx but the G2 seems to have better specs.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

visuvius posted:

I'm a part of a family plan where I barely see the main account holder but as far as I'm aware yes everything is paid and current.

Second dude at the verizon store said the phone is bricked which loving sucks because I was pretty happy with the Maxx HD and planned to keep it for another year. Anyways I guess its time for a new phone. What do guys like between the new Droid Maxx and the LG G2? I like the battery life and wireless charging on the Maxx but the G2 seems to have better specs.

MAXX, all the way, unless you care about camera quality or are dying for a 1080p screen.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

visuvius posted:

I would go with the Maxx hands down, especially if you liked your Razr HD so much.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Right on. Maxx it is. Any particular charging pad you guys recommend? Charging should still work with one of those thin covers right?

I've really been looking forward to having a phone with wireless charging. I hate having to plug my phone in.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I use the Tylt Vu with my Maxx and it works fantastic. Charges really quick.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

visuvius posted:

Right on. Maxx it is. Any particular charging pad you guys recommend? Charging should still work with one of those thin covers right?

I've really been looking forward to having a phone with wireless charging. I hate having to plug my phone in.

Tylt Vu is great if a little expensive (they do run sales on it periodically). The Incipio Ghost they sell at the Verizon shop works well too, although looks kind of dorky.

Either charger works fine with a case.

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004

mrchina posted:

SIM in a Nexus 7 LTE, $29.99 65+ plan for 200 minutes, unlimited data for $29.99 still possible?

I just did this and works great if anyone is trying to do the same.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

visuvius posted:

I got my Nokia charger from the ATT online store for like 20 bucks. Not sure if that deal is still around but it's a fantastic charger that's very low profile.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

kitten smoothie posted:

Tylt Vu is great if a little expensive (they do run sales on it periodically). The Incipio Ghost they sell at the Verizon shop works well too, although looks kind of dorky.

The Incipio feather case looks loving great on the MAXX, I went with cyan and it really is visually fantastic. And it works great with my TYLT Vu still.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

XIII posted:

So, my parents want to add a line to my plan for my little brother that they will be paying. They have a spare feature phone laying around that they're going to give him to use, so I figure I'll use this as an opportunity to grab a spare phone. Is there anything stopping me from getting a Moto X, activating it, then activating the feature phone and dropping the data plan? I know this would have worked in the past (and have done it a few times), but I remember rumors of them closing up this kind of loophole. Also, do the Moto X and Note 3 use the same size sim card? I love my Note, but wouldn't mind being able to swap back and forth, depending on my mood.

So, I answered part of my own question. My Note has a micro sim and the X has a nano sim. But, I was told in the general Android thread that I'd be okay swapping between devices if I cut my micro down and then used an adapter for Note days. So, anyone have a solid answer on if it's still safe to add a line, then downgrade it? I would be doing it via Amazon. Like I said, I've done this exact process without any issues, but I know someone mentioned they might have closed the door on that sort of thing.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Welp.

After 18 years, at the end of this month, I will officially no longer be employed with a Verizon indirect, I have taken a new job in IT for a manufacturing company

I like my job, and my company, but I cannot take Verizon's bullshit anymore. 90% of the people who work in management could burst into flames tomorrow and I would break out the marshmallows and start a round of kumbaya .

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I'll pour one out for you.

I'm probably on my way out too but it's because of T-Mobile not Verizon. Verizon's the only one who doesn't jerk me around on my money.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

kitten smoothie posted:

I have the Ghost. It works pretty well. It IS a little flakey on placement and sometimes takes a second to get right. But all in all its decent.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

EbolaIvory posted:

I have the Ghost. It works pretty well. It IS a little flakey on placement and sometimes takes a second to get right. But all in all its decent.

I have had a lot better luck with it when the Maxx got the software update that added the lines on the edges of the "omg, I see a wireless charger" screen.

The Ghost has the same lines on either side, so it's way easier now to nudge it in whatever direction necessary to get a good placement.

That said none of that matters with the Tylt. Just set it there and forget about it. It has redundant coils inside or something like that so it is way more forgiving on placement.

Either one is light years better than whatever $15-$20 cheap Chinese chargers they have on eBay or Amazon. All of those things seem to be the same model, just different names on them.

scanlonman
Feb 7, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone know of a good large touchscreen handicap phone? Basically I'm looking for a phone that can just call and text, with large numbers.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I am headed to Costa Rica next month for a honeymoon. I want to use my phone gps for getting around. I should be ok to pick up a local sim card and slip it into my Galaxy S4 right? I don't have to unlock the phone? The network band down there is GSM 1800 I believe

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Edit: never mind, got it sorted.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 5, 2014

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

scanlonman posted:

Does anyone know of a good large touchscreen handicap phone? Basically I'm looking for a phone that can just call and text, with large numbers.

There has never been a single decent touchscreen non-smartphone. They are all really, really terrible.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

scanlonman posted:

If you want a good handicap phone you probably one with big physical buttons. You'll probably need to get it on unlocked GSM (ATT/TMo) as this is a specialty item. Look for elderly phones.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I have some questions about ETFs and selling phones on Verizon:

I've pretty much made up my mind to pay Verizon's ETF to get out of my contract. I currently have a single line with a Droid Razr M on it; do I have to wait until I receive my "final bill" and pay that off to sell my phone, or can I just port my number to another service (initiating the cancellation process) and sell my phone in the meantime before they get around to sending me my final bill?

Basically, I just want to know if they'll put a block on my IMEI/ESN after I choose to port number, because I haven't technically paid my final bill yet.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I have some questions about ETFs and selling phones on Verizon:

I've pretty much made up my mind to pay Verizon's ETF to get out of my contract. I currently have a single line with a Droid Razr M on it; do I have to wait until I receive my "final bill" and pay that off to sell my phone, or can I just port my number to another service (initiating the cancellation process) and sell my phone in the meantime before they get around to sending me my final bill?

Basically, I just want to know if they'll put a block on my IMEI/ESN after I choose to port number, because I haven't technically paid my final bill yet.
When I did it, I gave my phone to my girlfriend right away and it worked fine.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Are there any hotspots that work on the verizon network that can be prepaid and rolled over from month to month?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

TEHJOE posted:

Are there any hotspots that work on the verizon network that can be prepaid and rolled over from month to month?

Nothing rolls over anymore.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Quick account question:

Right now I have an old Nationwide Talk & Text plan with two lines. We both require Good Messaging so we both have the $50 5gb plans that come free with Good.

When I check the page that suggest other plans, they suggest a MORE 6GB shared plan. I can't get a straight answer out of any rep I've talked to on if that includes access to Good Messaging. The page says that it's included with all data plans over $50, but I've had reps asy that it'll be $15 a line on top of that. I've also had reps say that I'm full of poo poo about getting it for free with my current plan.

Can anyone answer positively as to whether or not it's an add-in with that tier of service, or if it's included?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Share/MORE Everything does not include Good and it is $15 additional per line for access.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

Share/MORE Everything does not include Good and it is $15 additional per line for access.

So the "$50 and up get Good for free" stuff is poo poo for MORE then? Thank you, you saved me a good bit of cash per month.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Citizen Tayne posted:

So the "$50 and up get Good for free" stuff is poo poo for MORE then? Thank you, you saved me a good bit of cash per month.

I haven't heard of anything about $50 and up and get Good for free. On MORE Everything I know Lotus Notes and Exchange Activesync are free but not Good.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
So Verizon prepaid can give me unlimited talk and text for $45 + 500mb of data. Then If i get close to hitting 500mb of data I can just buy another 500GB of data for $5? Since I already have a Verizon smart phone that is off contract this seems like a really good deal. Any reason not to do this?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Calidus posted:

So Verizon prepaid can give me unlimited talk and text for $45 + 500mb of data. Then If i get close to hitting 500mb of data I can just buy another 500GB of data for $5? Since I already have a Verizon smart phone that is off contract this seems like a really good deal. Any reason not to do this?

3g only. Any other prepaid deal on any other network would be preferable.

Prepaid on Verizon will only be worth it when CDMA disappears.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Calidus posted:

3G only, which on Verizon is a pretty big step down from 4G LTE. At least on T-Mobile/ATT, alot of their 3G vs. 4G speeds aren't really that noticeable in average use. It most certainly is on Verizon.

KuNova
Oct 12, 2005
I REPORT MODERATORS BECAUSE I'M FUCKING RETARDED
Not sure how long this has been up but i just saved some cash apparently https://www.verizon.com/doubleup

Manos
Mar 1, 2004

KuNova posted:

Not sure how long this has been up but i just saved some cash apparently https://www.verizon.com/doubleup

This is awesome. Thank you.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
So I cracked the screen on my 5 day old Droid Maxx. loving thing is supposed to be resilient but a less than 1 foot drop on its corner did it in.

I think I'm still within the 30 day period of being able to sign up for equipment protection. Should I do this to get a new phone? Is it a pain in the rear end with lots of loopholes or do I just sign up, wait a month and call in the claim? Also, I'm just one of the lines on a family plan and used one of the line upgrades to get the new phone. Will they still let me sign up for equipment protection or is it for brand new accounts only?

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

visuvius posted:

So I cracked the screen on my 5 day old Droid Maxx. loving thing is supposed to be resilient but a less than 1 foot drop on its corner did it in.

I think I'm still within the 30 day period of being able to sign up for equipment protection. Should I do this to get a new phone? Is it a pain in the rear end with lots of loopholes or do I just sign up, wait a month and call in the claim? Also, I'm just one of the lines on a family plan and used one of the line upgrades to get the new phone. Will they still let me sign up for equipment protection or is it for brand new accounts only?
The claim process is pretty straightforward and can even be done all through Asurion's website.

Equipment protection open enrollment is for everyone not just new accounts.

Instead of commiting what is technically insurance fraud maybe see what it would cost to repair the screen. Insurance replacment will require a $99 deducticble for that type of phone.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

visuvius posted:

I did this exact thing when my wife broke her S4. Don't need to wait a month. I put the claim in like 3 days after getting my confirmation email that I got enrolled (which took 1 day). 99 bucks and some quick paperwork, you will have a new phone the next day.

Edit: looks like open enrollment ended on March 8th.

OMGMYSPLEEN fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 12, 2014

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

ninmeister posted:

Edit: looks like open enrollment ended on March 8th.
Er. No.

quote:

Effective 1/16/14 through 3/17/14, VZW will offer postpay consumer and business customers a limited-time opportunity to enroll in any of the following Equipment Protection programs during an Open Enrollment period:

Wireless Phone Protection (WPP)
Extended Warranty (EW)
Total Mobile Protection (TMP)
Total Equipment Coverage (TEC)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

visuvius posted:

Slap the insurance on. Just call in and of asked, there's nothing wrong with the phone at all and the screen looks great! I'm not sure if Asurion can check calls or anything, but best to be sly about it all the same.

• Locked thread