Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

What does "sign up for Obamacare" even mean? It's one of those phrases that keeps coming up in cartoons that doesn't actually mean anything. Does it mean purchasing insurance under the laws of the ACA? NO! Not insurance! Putin will lose his one true joy in life -- paying for medical expenses out of pocket :negative:

(also lol at the computer screen)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Laffo at the Netgear wireless USB transmitter from the Bush years. :coal:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

inthesto posted:

I get 0, 4, and 13, but is there some kind of significance to the number 4242564?

4242564 → :japan: → 四二四二五六四 → said aloud → 死に死に殺し (lit. "Death Death Killing")

I kind of want to see the Japanese equivalent to Animal Nutz; the puns would be truly amazing.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Russia has free public health insurance.

onecooldana
Jan 29, 2006

BLAH BLAH BLAH
BLAH BLAH BLAH
SEND 'EM A MESSAGE
BLAH BLAH BLAH

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

That'll show GOOD GUY, I signed him up for BAD THING

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

MisterBadIdea posted:

Russia has free public health insurance.

Yeah, but you have to wait in the "Waiting to wait in a line" line next to the bread lines. :ussr:

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

I always wondered in what universe you had to be in to think that Obama had a huge bulbous nose. I still don't really know, but apparently it's a universe where John Kerry has a scrotum for a face. Truly these McCoy's are a glimpse into a horrifying dimension.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Extra! Extra! Putin gets J. Jonah Jameson a giant rear end-gently caress coffee!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The Conservative fawning and barely contained hero worship of Putin is amazing, we're about 2 weeks away from comics openly stating that maybe Putin has the right idea about homosexuality.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I think Muir already had a comic where Zed said something like 'Obviously Putin has the right idea about homosexuals, but [infuriating wordsalad]'.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

At least Kerry gets to have a somewhat normal frame: Obama gets a paunch and grinch face every cartoon.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kurtofan posted:

I wonder, are there any pre WW2 American cartoonists who made pro Hitler or pro Mussolini cartoons?

When the Un-American Activities committee started up, one of the things they deemed to be an "un-American activity" was disliking Hitler before December 1941. I wouldn't know where to look for the cartoons, but I'm totally sure they existed.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

OldTennisCourt posted:

The Conservative fawning and barely contained hero worship of Putin is amazing, we're about 2 weeks away from comics openly stating that maybe Putin has the right idea about homosexuality.

I definitely get the feeling that Branco is :swoon: over him

Also holy gently caress "Urkraine", Branco you are an embarrassment to your craft.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

colonel_korn posted:

I definitely get the feeling that Branco is :swoon: over him

Also holy gently caress "Urkraine", Branco you are an embarrassment to your craft.

He also got the hammer and sickle backwards. Maybe it's a Russian symbol of good fortune, corrupted by the communists?

More to the point, the entire composition is backwards; I thought the US was trying to keep Russia out of Ukraine?

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 5, 2014

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

"I am THIS CLOSE to cutting of the support." "Is that so?"

"Ugh. Mr. Putin, you ruffian! I INSIST you stop this right now or..." "Or else what?"

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Randler posted:

"Ugh. Mr. Putin, you ruffian! I INSIST you stop this right now or..." "Or else what?"

Dat Pootie-Poot.

edit: WOOP WOOP

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 5, 2014

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
^^^^Hahaha

So a while back people were asking about Chuck Asay's first cartoon. I mentioned that Mister Beeg had dug it up in the last thread. Apparently I saved it. Forgive the UI being visible in this, since as I recall Beeg got it through an online database that tried to prevent you from taking screencaps. This was publishedin the Taos News presumably in July 1969.

"Hey didn't you guys hear me... I said we just landed on the moon!!"

A college-aged Chuck Asay, before becoming a Born Again Christian: the space program is wasteful government spending.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

loquacius posted:

What does "sign up for Obamacare" even mean? It's one of those phrases that keeps coming up in cartoons that doesn't actually mean anything. Does it mean purchasing insurance under the laws of the ACA? NO! Not insurance! Putin will lose his one true joy in life -- paying for medical expenses out of pocket :negative:

(also lol at the computer screen)

Bascially, lots of people don't actually know what the ACA is, and they don't let that stop them from criticizing it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Lycus posted:

Bascially, lots of people don't actually know what the ACA is, and they don't let that stop them from criticizing it.

And calling it Obamacare, against the orders of the new Republican playbook.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

XyloJW posted:

^^^^Hahaha

So a while back people were asking about Chuck Asay's first cartoon. I mentioned that Mister Beeg had dug it up in the last thread. Apparently I saved it. Forgive the UI being visible in this, since as I recall Beeg got it through an online database that tried to prevent you from taking screencaps. This was publishedin the Taos News presumably in July 1969.

A college-aged Chuck Asay, before becoming a Born Again Christian: the space program is wasteful government spending.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Spaceman Future! posted:

Yo ho yo ho a Kenyan's life for me.
Ill take your taxes and give pills to a whore,
Ill take money from wealth and feed the poor,
Ill gut our army and refuse a war, a Kenyan's life for me.

Pirates of the Caribbean is in Adventureland, not Fantasyland.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Lycus posted:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

XyloJW posted:

^^^^Hahaha

A rat done bit my sister Nell (with Whitey on the moon). Her face and arms began to swell (and Whitey's on the moon). I can't pay no doctor bill (but Whitey's on the moon). Ten years from now I'll be payin' still (while Whitey's on the moon). A Pro-Health-Care-Reform Cartoon.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

XyloJW posted:

^^^^Hahaha

Meanwhile, an Old Man Chuck Asay would find his younger self a damned hippie for suggesting government money go towards the needy.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Rob Smith Jr is unquestionably a deep-cover satirist who has managed to infiltrate Glenn Beck Dot Com.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

loquacius posted:

A rat done bit my sister Nell (with Whitey on the moon). Her face and arms began to swell (and Whitey's on the moon). I can't pay no doctor bill (but Whitey's on the moon). Ten years from now I'll be payin' still (while Whitey's on the moon). A Pro-Health-Care-Reform Cartoon.

Seeing Chuck Asay (probably unintentionally) agreeing with Gil Scott-Heron is blowing my mind.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

alnilam posted:

Rob Smith Jr is unquestionably a deep-cover satirist who has managed to infiltrate Glenn Beck Dot Com.

As a member of the LGBT community, I really want an I'M shirt.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

alnilam posted:

It's just a small step from that to letting people marry their hippo-headed fathers. Rob Smith was right :(

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

all I see are a pair of purple lips filling the screen with an arrow pointing at them and reading "friend of the family"

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

I don't think this has been posted, but Clay Bennett was named as finalist in this year's Herblock Prize. And somehow lost out to Jen Sorensen. Cartoon awards are weird.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Al Harrington posted:

all I see are a pair of purple lips filling the screen with an arrow pointing at them and reading "friend of the family"

I on the other hand cannot stop the gravitation of my eyes towards the meticulously drawn buttocks of Kerry. Are those dress pants fitted with a Lycra rear end section.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Snafu Man has discovered LSD. This is his Yellow Submarine.

What's the deal with the gold tooth? Is that a reference to some actual conservative meme or is it just :whatup: or am I a fool for attempting to make sense of any part of this at all?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Gypsies
Tramps
Thieves

Uh ok.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

This is probably the least of the problem with cartoons like this, but something I just flat out don't get is the emphasis on seemingly random words.

"I don't need any of it ANYMORE" sounds so weird and stilted and nobody would put the emphasis on that word. Aaaaaaaaaa.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

alnilam posted:

That dog has a serious case of Atheist Cartoons Mouth.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

loquacius posted:

What's the deal with the gold tooth? Is that a reference to some actual conservative meme or is it just :whatup: or am I a fool for attempting to make sense of any part of this at all?

Obama is black. Black people have gold teeth because they're thugs.

That said, this is one of my favorite Snafu cartoons to date and I hope he continues his descent into Louis Wain-style schizophrenia. Soon enough his cartoons will be nothing but a kaleidoscopic rainbow representation of Obama with a seemingly irrelevant current event thrown in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I just went to snafutoon.com to see if that :lsd: cartoon was real - I don't see it but his page is so weirdly disorganized I don't even know :psyduck:

then I found this:

Snafu Man: "It's not racist, I'm just saying what race he is! Look, if there were a group of people over there and I wanted to point one of them out, it'd be easier to say 'the one black man' than it'd be to walk on eggshells and describe his clothes or something. So tell me how it's racist to just mention a man's race."

you know
cause we wouldn't know which current US president he was talking about if he didn't give us a little description to go on

• Locked thread