Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Pope Francis could support civil unions

quote:

To: tomsbartoo

That’s so christian of him. /sarc

6 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 10:44:45 AM by mn-bush-man
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

quote:

To: steve86
If report is true then Malachi’s prophecy was right

If Malachi had said it, then it is absolutely true and would occur. But this is the Catholic St Malachy. Even at that, it makes it interesting.
13 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 10:53:11 AM by xone
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

quote:

To: tomsbartoo

Nonsense!

Don’t even need to read the story to know this is bogus.

18 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 11:02:15 AM by G Larry (Did You Like That Better?)

quote:

To: Tired of Taxes; NYer

One or two isolated instances of the Pope’s own words being taken out of context would be believable.

But this guy regularly and routinely comes up with more and more WTF comments, quotes and remarks.

There can be no denying it. He is pro-queer.

23 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 11:07:47 AM by Responsibility2nd (NO LIBS. This Means Liberals and (L)libertarians! Same Thing. NO LIBS!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Christ, are we still talking about this? Take it to CD. Post FReep.

So one FReeper finally asks the question that a lot of us here have asked:

quote:

To all the Putin apologists

Posted on 3/5/2014 11:45:42 AM by Red White and Blue patriot

Whether you are paid agents, losertarian isolationis, or just dim wits who wouldn't know what conservatism and freedom are if they kicked you in the backside. Why are still here? The land of vodka and borscht awaits. If you hate this country so much, don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you. Go join your brothers in mother Russia. I served this country. I love this country despite all its faults. It is the greatest nation that has ever been or ever will be. Despite my disgust with the politicians I would never side with the likes of the Red Russians. Never! And for those here hoping for Uncle Vlad to come and rescue them from the government by supplying assistance to a secessionist movement, you belong in prison for anybody who would accept the help of a commie tyrant is a traitor.

A bit illiterate and hyperbolic, but with 98 replies he's certainly kicked a bees nest.

Just because we love the leader of a foreign country and hold him up as all that we want in a leader doesn't mean that we don't love America!

quote:

To: Red White and Blue patriot
What makes you think that if we don’t believe that Putin is a monster, we must hate America?

2 posted on 3/5/2014 11:46:43 AM by dangus

:ironicat:

quote:

Learn to meet disagreement with logic and reason, not emotional outbursts.

5 posted on 3/5/2014 11:49:07 AM by DwFry (Baby Boomers Killed Western Civilization!)

This has nothing at all to do with the topic at hand:

quote:

While we are sending our Armed Forces out of this country to enforce the U.S. State Department's pro-Sharia, Pro-Islam agenda, What has been defended with the blood of previous generations of soldiers is being dismantled right on our own soil.
We have more domestic enemies than foreign enemies now, but we are focused only on the foreign enemies, and losing our country to the domestic enemies.

What will our soldiers be defending when the Marxist transformation of America is considered complete?

I am a Viet Nam War era veteran (Air Force). My father is a WWII and Korean Conflict Veteran (Army).

We didn't serve for the removal of our rights to determine the status of our own health care.

We didn't serve for sexual perverts to parade naked in the streets or teach children in schools.

We didn't serve to have our firearms registered.

We didn't serve to have Washington say that we have no fundamental right to determine the education of our children.

What we served to defend has ALL been under attack and we have suffered great loss while the agenda for our Armed Forces abroad really has nothing to do with defending freedom, but has everything to do with further entrenching regimes that hate the United States.

36 posted on 3/5/2014 12:01:26 PM by John Leland 1789

Putin: He has Russia's best interests at heart.

quote:

To: Idaho_Cowboy
What the so called “apologists” are really doing when they “cheer for” and “admire” Putin is really as a contrast for the ‘swipe we Americans have as our president.

Putie may be a tyrant, a thug, and worse. But does he have Russia’s best interests at heart? Maybe so - maybe no. I think he does.

But its clear that Obama is dead set on destroying America.

59 posted on 3/5/2014 12:14:54 PM by Responsibility2nd (NO LIBS. This Means Liberals and (L)libertarians! Same Thing. NO LIBS!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 42 | View Replies]

Presented without comment.

quote:

At least Pooty-poot is a regular commie and not a queer undocumented commie like we got.

67 posted on 3/5/2014 12:26:15 PM by Manic_Episode (GOP = The Whig Party)

When you're being picked up by the police and whipped with barbed wire and having nails driven through your fingers, you can style yourself after the French Resistance. Until then, shut the gently caress up.

quote:

To: justa-hairyape
I view it more in the context that we have an occupation government. This is like Vichy France at the moment. WE ARE THE RESISTANCE!

82 posted on 3/5/2014 12:39:47 PM by Viennacon
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 78 | View Replies]

I know that he's bad, but the little man in me just thinks that he's so... Reaganesque. :allears:

quote:

To: Responsibility2nd
Putin instills a complex range of emotions in me...I don’t for a moment forget he’s a brutal dictator masquerading in the trappings of an elected president, but in as many ways as he invites comparisons of himself to dictators of old, he also casts in stark relief the fact that every leader in the West now is Neville Chamberlain.

He is not afraid to be an unapologetic nationalist.
Our guy is a citizen of the world, to the detriment of American interests.
He understands survival of the fittest
Our guy says everyone can be made fit with enough of his neighbor’s money.
He’s not swayed by the shifting winds of public sentiment
Our guy has his finger to the wind on literally everything.

Would I rather have Putin in charge here? Hell no - He’ll never willingly give up power and he’ll imprison or outright kill anyone who opposes him. Would I like Reagan back?

You betcha.

87 posted on 3/5/2014 12:44:57 PM by Heavyrunner (Socialize this.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 59 | View Replies]

The CIA is even less interested in what you shits are doing than we are.

quote:

To: Dr. Thorne
Keep up the good work and don’t let the simple-minded Putin-suckers get you down.

Dear CIA,

You need new material. What is gonna happen next month when the Chinese start kicking your buts and we find out you were attacking one of their proxies with Islamist extremists soft power ? You gonna call those of us pointing out your dirty deeds, China-Suckers ?

96 posted on 3/5/2014 12:50:57 PM by justa-hairyape (The user name is sarcastic. Although at times it may not appear that way.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 94 | View Replies]

I'm sure there'll be more as the thread develops.

ColdSnickersBar
Apr 7, 2005

Georgia Peach posted:

Pope Francis could support civil unions

quote:

To: Tired of Taxes; NYer

One or two isolated instances of the Pope’s own words being taken out of context would be believable.

But this guy regularly and routinely comes up with more and more WTF comments, quotes and remarks.

There can be no denying it. He is pro-queer.

23 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 11:07:47 AM by Responsibility2nd (NO LIBS. This Means Liberals and (L)libertarians! Same Thing. NO LIBS!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

There's no way you can realistically say the Pope is "pro" gay. He's obviously just "anti treating people like subhumans."

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

ColdSnickersBar posted:

There's no way you can realistically say the Pope is "pro" gay. He's obviously just "anti treating people like subhumans."

As if Freepers wouldn't see that as exactly the same thing.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

Christ, are we still talking about this? Take it to CD. Post FReep.

So one FReeper finally asks the question that a lot of us here have asked:

A bit illiterate and hyperbolic, but with 98 replies he's certainly kicked a bees nest.

Just because we love the leader of a foreign country and hold him up as all that we want in a leader doesn't mean that we don't love America!

:ironicat:

This has nothing at all to do with the topic at hand:

Putin: He has Russia's best interests at heart.

Presented without comment.

When you're being picked up by the police and whipped with barbed wire and having nails driven through your fingers, you can style yourself after the French Resistance. Until then, shut the gently caress up.

I know that he's bad, but the little man in me just thinks that he's so... Reaganesque. :allears:

The CIA is even less interested in what you shits are doing than we are.

I'm sure there'll be more as the thread develops.

I was going to post that same thread. Tear each other apart :twisted:

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
Putin thread seems like ripe ground for mass-zottings.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Dirt5o8 posted:

I dunno. I'm sure JimRob is conflicted. His love for America but hatred for Obama and love for an authoritarian right-wing hunk like Putin... Which side does he pick???

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 5, 2014

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

US and Israel Worked Together to Track, Raid Iranian Weapon Ship

I fail to see how this is furthering Obama's Islamic agenda, but he's still at fault here.

quote:

To: Nachum

Must have pissed off Obama when he heard this was going down.

3 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 11:51:33 AM by Vermont Lt (If you want to keep your dignity, you can keep it. Period........ Just kidding, you can't keep it.)

quote:

LOLOLOLOL.

I think I’ll give FULL CREDIT to Israel.

8 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 11:56:19 AM by onyx (Please Support Free Republic - Donate Monthly! If you want on Sarah Palin's Ping List, Let Me know!)

quote:

To: tet68
This administration just CANNOT keep it’s mouth

If only to expose the intelligence that allowed for the capture, so our enemies know it too.
14 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 12:00:07 PM by Nachum (Obamacare: It's. The. Flaw.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

quote:

Apparently nobody ever told Zer0 about “Loose (purple) Lips!”

18 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 12:04:46 PM by Slings and Arrows (Richard Warman censors free speech.)

The real plan is revealed!

quote:

Obama is working 24/7 to destroy Israel and kill the joooos. Or at least to set them up so his islamoNazi comrades in Arms and sponsors can do it. At the same time, he is misusing our great USAF to defend the Iranian nuclear bomb and ICBM factories And he’s both leaked secret intelligence information to undermine any efforts to take those dangerous factories out And now he’s actually funding them And he openly threatened war against anybody attacking them. Nobody with two brain cells believes this press statement. A Big lie To make Gobbels and Siros proud. And we have three more years of this krap to go.

22 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 12:18:29 PM by faithhopecharity (" uri)

quote:

To: Bloody Sam Roberts

I think the Russians and the CIA spooks are coordinating their beating of Obama on the world stage. The food stamp president is a “bit below his pay grade” as Uncle Joe would say.

27 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 12:44:58 PM by blackdog (There is no such thing as healing, only a balance between destructive and constructive forces.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies]

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Dirt5o8 posted:

There's only so much more zotting he can do. He certainly can't zot anyone who sends him a bit of their social security check every month.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
"Loose (purple) lips"

And I'd be the racist for calling him out on that.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Logic" now means "agree with whatever I say" as in "You just don't think logically so you're wrong,"

quote:

Must have pissed off Obama when he heard this was going down.

3 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 11:51:33 AM by Vermont Lt (If you want to keep your dignity, you can keep it. Period........ Just kidding, you can't keep it.)
I want a Freep flow chart of how the world works; everyone is secretly working for AND against Obama, Obama is too weak to lead and holding the US in an iron death grip of control, every country is running riot while doing whatever Obama wants, the military hates him and wants him out while covering up his mistakes and agreeing with his policy decision. It's a super complicated plan and Obama seems to have a hold on it so I say let him keep going.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Freepers: Talking about "purple lips" isn't racist

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

Duke Igthorn posted:

I want a Freep flow chart of how the world works; everyone is secretly working for AND against Obama, Obama is too weak to lead and holding the US in an iron death grip of control, every country is running riot while doing whatever Obama wants, the military hates him and wants him out while covering up his mistakes and agreeing with his policy decision. It's a super complicated plan and Obama seems to have a hold on it so I say let him keep going.
And all it would take to fix would be to impeach him, which he wouldn't go along with because he will shortly declare himself dictator for life after it happens.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say "joooooos" in an unironic context.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

SedanChair posted:

Schindler's List was kind of a plodding, dutiful movie, not unlike 12YAS. I never understood all the hype but then again I got my youthful dose of horror reading Man's Search for Meaning.

e: this is the author of your precious film

[/quote]

So the film about black suffering and atrocity is overhyped as a film because it clearly only got praise because of white guilt, but the film about white suffering and atrocity is overhyped as a film because it isn't as good as this book about white suffering and atrocity.

Wow, predicted that one.

And the opinions of the guy who adapted the screenplay have nothing to do with the merits of the film, just as how ellen's selfie has nothing to do with the merits of the film. You really are desperate to just not offer any discussion of the topic, film, or art involved, and are grasping at anything no matter how tenuous aren't you?

SedanChair posted:

That's an interesting perspective, and totally wrong.
I too have never heard of "death of the author" or any of the past 90 years worth of media criticism.

quote:

His hosed up self-loathing racist beliefs have revealed themselves in his movie,
Ridley is not McQueen idiot. Ridley wrote the screenplay, but the cast, crew, director, editor, and producer are the ones who put their stamp on it.

quote:

which presumably he wrote as a story about the last blacks in America who had the right to complain.
... are you loving kidding me? It actually loving happened, he didn't create this as some kind of abstract lesson that then somehow went untouched by the entire rest of the film making process

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Years_a_Slave

SedanChair posted:

I don't need to talk about the film (not that it would shed any light on things for you, as you've admitted that you're holding forth without having seen it). The fact is that a self-loathing Booker T. Washington type who praises black Republicans and makes fun of black men getting killed by police wrote a screenplay about the wretchedness of slavery. It's a revealing and inherently political act which is placed in context by his prior statements (no apology for or disavowal of his previous opinions has been offered btw).

The fact that you refuse to actually discuss the merits of the film in a discussion about it winning an award based on merit really says it all. Good to see you are still earning that title there.

At this point you've demonstrated complete ignorance of even the most common knowledge of the film (like that it is a British film, that Steve McQueen made it, that it is based on real events) to the point where I don't even believe your claim to have seen it. Keep on trucking there fucknuts.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

ColdSnickersBar posted:

12 Years A Slave could have been written by a baby-eating child molester, or have been written by Hitler himself, risen from the grave.

Nah all those guys work for the Disney Channel these days. And even they included gay characters. So yeah even our stupidest entertainment is beyond freep.

Mind Loving Owl fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 6, 2014

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Am... am I in TV IV?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Freep thread: most disciplined, on-topic thread. Let's get anxious about it.

Fried Chicken posted:

At this point you've demonstrated complete ignorance of even the most common knowledge of the film (like that it is a British film, that Steve McQueen made it, that it is based on real events) to the point where I don't even believe your claim to have seen it. Keep on trucking there fucknuts.

I did see it though. Who cares if it's British? An American racist wrote it. Who cares if it's faithful to the book? An American racist found the book suitable for his purposes.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Are you trolling or something? I can give you a list of films which are pretty out and out racist if you want, and it won't have have this film, which was you know, directed by a black man, written by a black man, based on a book by a black man, with a nearly all black cast.

SedanChair posted:

I did see it though. Who cares if it's British? An American racist wrote it. Who cares if it's faithful to the book? An American racist found the book suitable for his purposes.

You know films don't just appear by magic when the screen writer finishes the screenplay, right?

As a white man, I found the film powerful, because like McQueen's other films, it was an unflinching look at human suffering and how badly people can treat each other. I thought Chiwetel Ejiofor played the role of a man robbed of his dignity and humanity amazingly, and McQueen was able to capture the needless cruelty and dehumanisation of the slave trade without either compromising his indie past, or sensationalizing it into a emotional weepy, a la Spielberg. He showed one man's life caught in an horrific situation, that thankfully was ended. It was a hard and emotionally draining watch, but I'm glad it was made, and I'm glad I saw it.

But according to you, I only liked the movie because I was afraid of not being politically correct? :confused: That might be the most D&D.txt thing I've read in ages.

To get back on topic, did any Freepers freak out over Ellen DeGeneres hosting, or did they use up all their rage on generic liberal Hollywood stuff?

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 6, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

OldMemes posted:

As a white man,

Good To Know

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SedanChair posted:

oh yay, more low effort shitposting from you

It being British means it is broken from the American context, which was part of your original complaint. Ridley may be a shitstain, but you are yet to point out at all how that shows up in the film because you refuse to discuss the film. Ridley didn't "find it suitable for his purposes", McQueen started on it in 2008 and brought in Ridley when it got going in 2011. Ridley wasn't even the sole writer, McQueen co-wrote it and has been fighting with Fox Searchlight for credit.

So basically you have that the guy who came in to a 3 year old project to clean the script is an rear end in a top hat, therefore clearly that being an rear end in a top hat influences how we should view the film (despite being contrary to elementary media analysis), it shows in the film (though you can't say where) and even then it clearly doesn't deserve best picture because of its merits which you refuse to discuss.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Good To Know

lol at the guy echoing right wing talking pointd trying to discredit someone based on race

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Could you guys stop arguing about movies?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I dunno. I'm sure JimRob is conflicted. His love for America but hatred for Obama and love for an authoritarian right-wing hunk like Putin... Which side does he pick???

JimRob will most likely call for people to stop posting pro-Putin stuff, and memory hole any points in the past where he has engaged in it himself. There has been some pushback from the more fervent Cold-War-addled anti-Russia GOP demagogues in the past few days over this issue.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Good To Know

Did you read the rest of what I actually typed, or did you just jump on the SJW bandwagon. I was saying that people of any race can enjoy the movie and its message. The truths this movie tells about America's past go above any colour divide. I'm not even American and I got that from the movie, because I could see it as a story of human suffering, and that's a thing people should be able to understand universally.

You are literally acting like the liberal strawman that Freepers think is everyone even slightly to the left of Nixon is.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 6, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

we've had multi-page discussions about rabbinical sermons, but a half dozen posts is a problem?

poo poo, given that Sedanchair is showing the Freep can come from within the thread by unironically regurgitating right wing hate this is still relevant.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Hillary Clinton Calls Putin 'A Tough Guy With Thin Skin'

quote:

To: gooblah
Hillary Clinton is a reptile in a somewhat human body.

She will say anything to make herself look tough, because the Witch wants to be president.

4 posted on 3/5/2014 6:00:36 PM by LowTaxesEqualsProsperity

quote:

Putin has chunks of guys like Hillary in his stool....

7 posted on 3/5/2014 6:02:04 PM by clintonh8r (Don't twerk me, Broi)

quote:

Putin IS a tough guy with a thin skin.
So don't piss him off, cankles.

15 posted on 3/5/2014 6:07:44 PM by Lazamataz (Early 2009 to 7/21/2013 - RIP my little girl Cathy. You were the best cat ever. You will be missed.)

I won't post anything from this thread, the title says it all: 23 memes and graphics that demonstrate how embarassing Obama is compared to Putin
-------------
Context: German home-school family will not be deported from US

quote:

US immigration officials confirmed the Romeike family have been granted "prosecutorial discretion".

In Germany, parents who refuse to send their children to state-approved schools face fines, imprisonment and the removal of the children.

The family sought asylum in the US, saying they feared persecution at home.

BBC's Jane O'Brien met another family, the Reinholds, who moved to the US to be allowed to continue home-schooling their children
Immigration officials rejected their bid and on Monday, the US Supreme Court declined to hear their appeal in the case.

But on Tuesday, the Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA), which was representing the Romeikes, said the family of nine had been granted "indefinite deferred action" status, lawyer Michael Donnelly told the BBC.

quote:

To: SoFloFreeper
Knock me over with a feather. I can’t believe it. I’d like to think cooler heads prevailed, but the way we’re headed, the cynic in me says an enemy of freedom did this out of strategy.

17 posted on 3/4/2014 2:15:01 PM by andyk (I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.)

quote:

THANK You, Jesus !
Praise Him from the rooftops.

Our God is great and good.

21 posted on 3/4/2014 2:17:16 PM by knarf (I say things that are true .. I have no proof .. but they're true.)
If a Muslim guy expressed any of this same sentiment they'd lose their poo poo and call him a terrorist

quote:

Of course, those eight German Christians aren't unregistered Democrat voters, like these lovely gents:

28 posted on 3/4/2014 2:20:24 PM by SoFloFreeper
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]
Maybe they saw his other freep posts? A reasonable assumption to make!

quote:

To: capydick
“Color me shocked.....”

Me too! Bet the Krauts are going to be Pi$$ed! I guess at the end of the day, Germany is still run by the Nazis. The idea that “The State” doesn’t want any “competition” fits the Nazi model. “ Now you vill just eat your sausages, and you vil like zem.”

30 posted on 3/4/2014 2:21:36 PM by vette6387
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

quote:

.... and faced the threat of having their children removed from their home. They left for America before that could happen.

Give it time they’ll be fleeing the US as well. Won’t be long before it’ll be against the law to home school here. Common Core Curriculum is already being planned for home schools and private schools.

44 posted on 3/4/2014 2:29:47 PM by maddog55 (I'd be Pro-Choice if we could abort liberals.)

quote:

To: Buckeye McFrog
Red staters should not let this die, legs need to be put on this. The very fact that Holder attempted to do this to this family is political dynamite. Holder must have known this causing him to back off.

63 posted on 3/4/2014 2:56:32 PM by sasportas
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 43 | View Replies]

quote:

To: sasportas
Re: my comment that this is political dynamite and legs need to be put on this. Think about it, folks, Holder and Obama allowing illegals to flood into the country vs this one Christian family from Germany. Conservative politicos should jump on this big time.

69 posted on 03/04/2014 1:10:40 PM PST by sasportas
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 63 | View Replies ]

quote:

Glenn Beck reported on his radio show Tuesday morning that the family was being deported back to Germany, with Holder stating that the family didn’t meet the criteria of political refugees.

This reversal is excellent news!

93 posted on 03/04/2014 6:12:26 PM PST by july4thfreedomfoundation (I don't want to feel "safe." I want to feel FREE!)

quote:

I suspect Obama knew he would have gotten people shot if he tried to depot these people.

Perhaps even started a revolution.

101 posted on 3/5/2014 1:18:35 PM by TheThirdRuffian (RINOS like Romney, McCain, Christie are sure losers. No more!)
Plausible. Once they start deporting whites the white nationalists will finally enact their second amendment rights!!! :freep:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Darkman Fanpage posted:

quote:

Posted on 1/18/2014 6:22:22 AM by napscoordinator

Hello FRiends. So we went to see 12 years a Slave. Wow! I totally recommend it. It was a true story that does not get all Hollywood Liberal. It was basically a true to life synopsis of the time this "free" man becomes a slave. It is astonishingly good. I went because I could not believe it won the Golden Globe for 2014 as the Best Film and I had no idea about the film before that night. My wife is not convinced that it should have been best film, but I am thinking closer to believing it should be. We are off to see "American Hustle" later on this afternoon. This weekend is a quiet movie weekend. I guess we still have to see Gravity, Jack Ryan, Lone Survivor, and many more.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Just because a Freeper likes something, does not make it a Freeper piece of media.

I'm sure there are Freepers that like drinking coffee, does that mean that drinking coffee makes you a crazy far right racist? Of course not.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

kik2dagroin posted:

quote:

Glenn Beck reported on his radio show Tuesday morning that the family was being deported back to Germany, with Holder stating that the family didn’t meet the criteria of political refugees.

This reversal is excellent news!

93 posted on 03/04/2014 6:12:26 PM PST by july4thfreedomfoundation (I don't want to feel "safe." I want to feel FREE!)

Couldn't possibly be that Glenn Beck is an idiot talking out of his rear end!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

OldMemes posted:

Just because a Freeper likes something, does not make it a Freeper piece of media.

I'm sure there are Freepers that like drinking coffee, does that mean that drinking coffee makes you a crazy far right racist? Of course not.

Sure but the Freeper is right, 12YAS pointedly does not get "all Hollywood liberal," it's presented in a vacuum of the past, alien in its horror. Watch it and feel cleansed! We sure don't do that anymore!

It was the job of Hollywood liberals to make everything but the film itself "all Hollywood liberal." Act in it and feel cleansed! Well, act in it to whatever extent you can deal with how it affects your public image. Fassbender and Giamatti have tons of guts and chops, and aren't A-list, so they take the irredeemable slave-beating roles. Brad Pitt has more at stake, so he can be Mr. Virtuous Quaker Who Didn't Have Any Slaves, No Sir.

Look, if Lupita Nyong'o achieves real stardom, or if we start seeing an entire genre of films about slavery emerge and come to prominence, I will stop criticizing Hollywood as a den of racists who like to congratulate themselves for promoting slavery torture-porn. I'll stop criticizing liberal film-goers as hypocrite scum. But as it is this movie was marketed as anguish-in-a-bottle, as something for you to watch and feel like you've achieved something.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Sure but the Freeper is right, 12YAS pointedly does not get "all Hollywood liberal," it's presented in a vacuum of the past, alien in its horror. Watch it and feel cleansed! We sure don't do that anymore!

It was the job of Hollywood liberals to make everything but the film itself "all Hollywood liberal." Act in it and feel cleansed! Well, act in it to whatever extent you can deal with how it affects your public image. Fassbender and Giamatti have tons of guts and chops, and aren't A-list, so they take the irredeemable slave-beating roles. Brad Pitt has more at stake, so he can be Mr. Virtuous Quaker Who Didn't Have Any Slaves, No Sir.

Look, if Lupita Nyong'o achieves real stardom, or if we start seeing an entire genre of films about slavery emerge and come to prominence, I will stop criticizing Hollywood as a den of racists who like to congratulate themselves for promoting slavery torture-porn. I'll stop criticizing liberal film-goers as hypocrite scum. But as it is this movie was marketed as anguish-in-a-bottle, as something for you to watch and feel like you've achieved something.

I can give a list of really racist Hollywood films if you want, films that you CAN get angry at for being horribly offensive.

Plus it wasn't even a Hollywood movie - it was a British production, funded by Film Four, with additional funding from Brad Pitt's production studio! Me and the millions of others who saw the movie didn't do so because of some hypotheical "white guilt". It's because it was a powerful and brilliantly made movie.

So white people maybe going "yeah, white people have done some pretty awful things in history" is white guilt, but white people ignoring it somehow solves the problem?

Even though it was directed by a black British director? Someone who has actually made pretty powerful art that questions society's morality, past and present, rather than just sitting at a computer, grasping at strawmen?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

quote:

SOMEONE REPORT ME TO THE FTC BECAUSE I HAVE A MONOPOLY ON SHITPOSTING

Jesus, the :10bux: expended for that were a public goddamn service.

Just ignore this dumbfuck and let him migrate back to tumblr.

ErIog posted:

JimRob will most likely call for people to stop posting pro-Putin stuff, and memory hole any points in the past where he has engaged in it himself. There has been some pushback from the more fervent Cold-War-addled anti-Russia GOP demagogues in the past few days over this issue.

Have there been any threads were the idolaters clashed with the old guard? Seems like a wonderful place to see doublethink in action.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

WarpedNaba posted:

Jesus, the :10bux: expended for that were a public goddamn service.

Just ignore this dumbfuck and let him migrate back to tumblr.

Yeah, he's really going out of his way to be upset at something that exists largely, perhaps entirely, in his own imagination.

quote:

Have there been any threads were the idolaters clashed with the old guard? Seems like a wonderful place to see doublethink in action.

Sorta. During 2012 there was a brief moment immediately following Romney's nomination when Jimrob decided that they had always been at war with Eurasia would now unconditionally support Romney despite he himself declaring neither he nor Freep itself would ever do so, and having in fact banned some Romney supporters during the primary. Some questioned this, and asked if he would reinstate those now-zotted posters, and were zotted themselves as a result.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm both "tumblr" and "a freeper" apparently.

OldMemes posted:

I can give a list of really racist Hollywood films if you want, films that you CAN get angry at for being horribly offensive.

Oh can I? Thanks! Thanks for letting me know what I can get angry about.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Oh can I? Thanks! Thanks for letting me know what I can get angry about.

You might want to try the book Reel Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Vilifies a People by Jack Shaheen. It's a good starting point on race and racism in cinema, which is something that has a long, sad history, from early movies such as Birth of a Nation and The Jazz Singer, to the representation of ethnic minorities in modern blockbuster films like Transformers: Rise of the Fallen. It's a pretty popular area of film studies, there are lots of books on the subject, check your local library.

Try and that, and stop derailing the thread.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Seen it, seen them, know it, still have my opinions. Feel free not to derail it yourself. Feel free to not be taken aback at a nonwhite opinion that doesn't masturbate you for your viewing choices.

I love how you've begun every post from the starting point of "if only you knew more about film" :smugdog:

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 6, 2014

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
So if a movie tones down the evils of slavery it's whitewashing and wrong, yes I agree... and if it portrays it as horrific and fearful to its core existence the film is just a way for white people to feel good about themselves. Even if it's made by black people and based on a real life black person's story.

Tumblr activism is confusing.

OldMemes posted:

You might want to try the book Reel Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Vilifies a People by Jack Shaheen. It's a good starting point on race and racism in cinema, which is something that has a long, sad history, from early movies such as Birth of a Nation and The Jazz Singer, to the representation of ethnic minorities in modern blockbuster films like Transformers: Rise of the Fallen. It's a pretty popular area of film studies, there are lots of books on the subject, check your local library.

Sounds fascinating, thanks for the rec.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
More Freep gay sex fantasies!

quote:

To: demshateGod

the homos will never be satisfied until they can demand you lick their butts and publicly exclaim how tasty it is.

34 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 6:03:42 PM by MNDude

From http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3130002/posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Seen it, seen them, know it, still have my opinions. Feel free not to derail it yourself. Feel free to not be taken aback at a nonwhite opinion that doesn't masturbate you for your viewing choices.

I love how you've begun every post from the starting point of "if only you knew more about film" :smugdog:

There's a reason for that, I'm doing an MA in film, starting to get into film academicia and I'm aiming to become a film studies lecturer, so yeah, I'm going to approach this from a film studies angle. It's kind of my thing - it's like how someone talking about issues in a book would look at it from a literature study angle. You read material via waht you know and how you understand it. And considering how smug you've been, you can't really accuse anyone else of the same. I like how you assume every poster who disagrees with you is a racist.

Also, this is the worst derail, sorry Freep fans.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 6, 2014

• Locked thread