Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
He is the dude who sucks. Also he has depression.

he needs a special lamp to be in society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
It got old three years ago.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Hey, Teodor got his bone on in a place that isn't the back of a van!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Just Offscreen posted:

It got old three years ago.

It couldn't have gotten old then, there weren't any comics.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Is that why Lyle has been taking shits in the garage?

That is one of his less vile convenient fictions, yes.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Johnny Aztec posted:

He said himself that he was burning himself out. Constantly agonizing over the right turn of phrase. Get everything juuust right.
I'm not going to dig through all the interviews and what not to get the bits. Dude spent more time drawing cat cocks than he did with his family
but hey, you can do whatever you want in life.

It's entirely possible to creatively burn out without spending all of your waking life on a project. Burnout can be as simple as being totally bored and unmotivated to continue working.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Man, Achewood "fans" are the "best."

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I'm not a huge fan of this arc, but if a dude wants to do whatever art he wants to do on a website for people to look at for free, awesome.
Making good poo poo is often an exercise in making lots and lots of just plain poo poo and seeing what floats to the top, they're not all going to be brilliant.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Seldom Posts posted:

The irony of you trying to interpret my intentions is not lost on me.

How wrong was I, out of curiosity?

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's entirely possible to creatively burn out without spending all of your waking life on a project. Burnout can be as simple as being totally bored and unmotivated to continue working.

Yes that is possible but Onstad specifically said the 24/7 agonising over the comic thing.

Jesus Farmer Crack-rear end we got the chessboard out but you playin' Whac-A-Mole.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Raider posted:

As slow as this arc is, every week has given us at least on quotable line. I'll buy that for a dollar.

Yeah I work in forestry and "Don't be an idiot just because it's fast" are words to quite literally live by in this industry

So did Onstad hire a ghostwriter or what? Because it doesn't seem possible that the guy writing this current sop is the same one who gave us this

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Crane Fist posted:

Yeah I work in forestry and "Don't be an idiot just because it's fast" are words to quite literally live by in this industry

So did Onstad hire a ghostwriter or what? Because it doesn't seem possible that the guy writing this current sop is the same one who gave us this

He could just be off his game.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Dude is so far off his game he's left the park and started a new game on the other side of the city that bears no relation to the original game and is more closely related to the awful local games played by idiots who live in ditches and grub for change in the city fountains and wrestle dogs for sport

Alternatively some variation on chess board/whack-a-mole, you get the idea

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

head58 posted:

Man, Achewood "fans" are the "best."

Yeah I agree that the comic is not what it used to be but people in this thread are fuckin weird as hell about it

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

Crane Fist posted:

Because it doesn't seem possible that the guy writing this current sop is the same one who gave us this

I try not to read too much into the comics, but I could believe ever single one of those panels refers to Onstad. I've thought for a while he's wanted to ditch comics and go into long-form writing; I was pretty enamored with Achewood up until the "erotica fanfiction" arc, now I just want the second cookbook and full-time Little Nephew blog.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Onstad is a legitimately talented writer, who slips up from time to time. 80% of the posts in this thread have veered sharply from tired and uninteresting "lol this sucks now" into the realm of legitimately creepy and lovely digs at his personal life and mental health which none of you know anything about.

You're welcome for giving you an opportunity to think "what we're not allowed to discuss in a discussion forum anymore?", because I know it gives you a tiny dopamine jolt.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
What!? We're not allowed to discuss in a discussion forum??!

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Naylenas posted:

Onstad is a legitimately talented writer, who slips up from time to time. 80% of the posts in this thread have veered sharply from tired and uninteresting "lol this sucks now" into the realm of legitimately creepy and lovely digs at his personal life and mental health which none of you know anything about.

You're welcome for giving you an opportunity to think "what we're not allowed to discuss in a discussion forum anymore?", because I know it gives you a tiny dopamine jolt.

Can I eschew your proffered dopamine jolt, and instead go for the "Naw man it's 80% faggots going STOP IT STOP DISCUSSING THIS GUY" and defending the sadbrained thief like he's their uncle or something?" package instead cause mmm back of the head tinglies.

Plus, like, "legitimately creepy"? It's a bunch of nerds talking gossipy poo poo about another nerd on the Internet. A bit dumb, but then 95% of everything ever is ultimately a bit dumb. Creepy would be if we were stalking his movements and digging through his family's facebooks and photographing his house, and WebDog only really likes C-A-D so it's all good. You big drama queen.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Even better than the posts about how Achewood sucks are the posts about how NONE of you have ANY right to JUDGE this man, he has made WONDERFUL things and WHAT have you ever DONE with YOUR life ANYWAY etc

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

y'all are some grumpy weirdos.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

JHomer722 posted:

y'all are some grumpy weirdos.

Once they get goin' they can't stop or they'll get maaaad.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I don't know about you, but I don't know about Achewood. Anymore, that is.

When I was a child, Achewood was a simple enough affair. Crispy stellas served up cool, some bonin', some depressed cats, some rad chilis. We loves those chilis. Nowadays? Largely nonsense. I can't believe Achewood these days.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

It is the angriest a person can be, to do this

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

Don't sass me when I'm grumpy! I'll have you slayed.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

I am mad about what I SAID I am mad about! Web comics!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Van Dis posted:

Yeah I agree that the comic is not what it used to be but people in this thread are fuckin weird as hell about it

The strip Means Something to a lot of the people in this here thread, in one way or another. What you're seeing is an old marble pedestal rocking back and forth, in the moments before the tip and crash.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Despite having a forums account and posting in this thread, Onstad is still a stranger to all of us. Nobody should be a cock to a stranger.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoomdog posted:

Despite having a forums account and posting in this thread, Onstad is still a stranger to all of us. Nobody should be a cock to a stranger.

What if it's the guy who invented comic sans?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

prefect posted:

What if it's the guy who invented comic sans?

HE WANTS TO TASTE THE CURB! HE WANTS TO TASTE THE loving CURB! It's not being a cock to give someone what they want.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
This has not been a good arc for achewood, and I posit that the longer story arcs have rarely been as good as the shorter stories/one offs. I don't think Onstad has ever really been that great at long form stuff. His Chris Ware-esque ramblings aren't really up to the same level.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Darth Windu posted:

Even better than the posts about how Achewood sucks are the posts about how NONE of you have ANY right to JUDGE this man, he has made WONDERFUL things and WHAT have you ever DONE with YOUR life ANYWAY etc

Come on, it's just tedious and unpleasant.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
The art in the latest strip was kinda...slanty.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The car is this thread, and Ray's vomit is posts about Chris Onstad's marriage.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Pope Guilty posted:

Come on, it's just tedious and unpleasant.

One man's tedious and unpleasant is another's momentary diversion on the road to the grave.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
What else are we gonna talk about during the week long gap between comics?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

a starwar betamax posted:

What else are we gonna talk about during the week long gap between comics?

I think this is the best case anyone's made for closing this loving thread.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Onstad's crippling addiction to pills confirmed.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

lol remember when that guy thought this was beef becoming a transexual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I just noticed that the addition of hair as he ages means that Beef shaves his head.