Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

That's well put and precisely why it's annoying when people complain about nothing "happening."

Beth and Daryl coming to an understanding at the end after the associations made in the country club is one of the most positive images the show's used and says more about the future of humanity in this world than Eugene's snakeoil pitch.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Well to be fair, this half of the season has also brought us such gripping character development as "Carl is a dumb kid and actually does need Rick" and "Michonne really misses her child", so I think it's easy to see why some people would prefer "plot" to that type of development. I agree that the Daryl stuff was nice (partly because they accidentally made him into an invincible zombie killing wizard), but they've missed with that kind of stuff a lot in the past so people being a bit apprehensive about the show being nothing but that seems natural.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Surlaw posted:

The show's not as dumb as people want it to be even if it makes a boatload of bad choices. Saying that they explored the country club blankly just means you didn't care to pay any attention to what they were doing.

Are we watching the same show or do you genuinely believe that The Walking Dead isn't just a lazy cash-cow at this point?

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
I appreciate a slow burn and the Farm season had one where things slowly ramped up into a bunch of horrific stuff hitting at once.

This episode was just slow. There were things I liked about it. Like seeing Daryl as a human and not the awful, boring, superheroic person he's turned into as shorthand. I also REALLY liked the strange and ominous touches at the country club, Welcome to the Dog Trot and Rich Bitch kept me holding out that something real bad was going to happen to Beth and Daryl away from the club.

The Mountain Goats song was ok.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

seizure later posted:

Are we watching the same show or do you genuinely believe that The Walking Dead isn't just a lazy cash-cow at this point?

According to the walkthrough faq there were like 6 crossbow bolts that Daryl missed, hidden under one of the sleeping bags in the lobby. If he wasn't blankly exploring he would have found them. What a noob.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

seizure later posted:

I think it's a very fun show with interesting situations that often resolve poorly. I don't care if it was made to make money.

The Carl is Dumb episode was good satire of goony zombie survivalist fantasies. I loved it.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 5, 2014

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

VDay posted:

Well to be fair, this half of the season has also brought us such gripping character development as "Carl is a dumb kid and actually does need Rick" and "Michonne really misses her child", so I think it's easy to see why some people would prefer "plot" to that type of development. I agree that the Daryl stuff was nice (partly because they accidentally made him into an invincible zombie killing wizard), but they've missed with that kind of stuff a lot in the past so people being a bit apprehensive about the show being nothing but that seems natural.

Yeah, but its late Season 4. Its kind of insane for people to still be talking about "plot progression" at this stage of the game. Understand, I'm not saying you can't criticize the show for its choice to be character driven and largely ignore plot. I'm also not saying you can't criticize its quality at the character driven stories. Lord knows I think it has stumbled and flat out screwed the pooch on that at times. I'm not arguing that this is a great show, a good show, a better than average show, or anything speaking to its quality. I'm just saying that this show isn't concerned with plot, has never been concerned with plot, and there's no reason to think it ever will be. So when someone says "It just seems like there's no point beyond survival, but I hope this Washington plot changes that" I want to scream "no, you had it right there. Survival is the point."

Maybe a plot driven Walking Dead would be a better show. I have no idea. But it's never been that and I see no reason to think it would become that so I don't get why anyone would waste any time or energy on thinking that way. So if that's what some viewers are waiting for I just kind of want to help and convince them they're wasting their time.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I liked this episode. Daryl's actor isn't bad, so it was a welcome change for him to actually have some emotions. Burning down the shack at the end of the episode was dumb, but fire is way more visually appealing at night, so whatever.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Zombies are attracted to fire, have we seen if they are suicidally so? That would seem like good defense for a camp if so, a couple of big pits filled with fire that the walkers fall into and are destroyed by.

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow
The problem isn't Plot vs. Character Development. It's Boring vs. Interesting.

Woodbury and the Governor were mostly plot and it was boring. The flu outbreak and murders/rat torturing were plot and they were interesting.

Rick finding Morgan and Carl bonding with Michonne in Clear were character development and it was interesting. Daryl and Beth wandering around looking for booze and playing Never Have I Ever in Fanfiction Cabin was boring.

You can have episodes that are mostly talk and still make it interesting. I didn't find the last episode interesting. I actually found Corl's pudding adventure to be a better episode.

Daryl and Beth hardly even interact for the first half of the episode and when they do it's like a broken record. Beth wants to do something, Daryl mopes. Beth gets upsets, Daryl does nothing. She's fragile and sheltered, he's a gruff redneck. They already established this much better in their 10 minute part of Episode 10, we don't need another hour of the exact same thing. Especially after Rick and Corl already did it.

Plus to me the characters just felt off. I don't want Beth to be crying all the time, but she seemed pretty blasé about her father's death when she was talking about going to get a drink. Maybe it's the actress, but the writing wasn't so great either. "I never drank cause of Daddy, but he's not here anymore...lol." And Daryl definitely felt more like Season 2 than Season 4. He's lived with Beth for awhile now and I know he's supposed to be distant and angry in this episode, but come on, he's not a complete robot. You would think he would comfort a distraught 17 year old girl who's just lost her father to a gruesome death at least one of the times she bursts into tears. Or at least talk or interact with her in any way except to stare at her blankly. That's the thing. Their whole interaction until they get to the cabin is "Beth says something, Daryl looks at her."

The part in the cabin was just awful and really did feel like fanfiction to me. There was actually a joke back when I read fanfics in the 90s where if you didn't know what to write you just stuck two characters in a cabin together and they'd either bare their souls or gently caress each other. Beth and Daryl getting drunk together could have been interesting, but they really didn't go anywhere with it. Daryl becomes an angry drunk in the span of two minutes and then cries into Beth's arms and then it's over before it started. Like a teenage girl wrote it just so Daryl could cry and be comforted by Beth. It felt very rushed, like they were trying to showcase the country club's last stand instead and then went "Oh gently caress, we should do something with Daryl and Beth together, shouldn't we?"

I wanted this episode because I wanted to see how the two characters interacted with each other away from everyone else, but that didn't happen. They were just their separate characters doing things.

I think it would have been better and more in character if Daryl had been the one who wanted to keep checking things out and Beth just wanted to give up because it seemed hopeless. Daryl would be like "Hey, let's check out this country club, maybe there'll be something nice inside" to try and take Beth's mind of things and then it's just horror inside and he's like "Welp, that didn't work". You could have the same reactions of Daryl not feeling bad for the rich people and Beth trying to be a decent person and give the dead some dignity and then they get angry at each other. Beth thinks Daryl doesn't care about what happened and he's fine to just go out looting and killing walkers like everything's okay and Daryl's like "Fine, just kill yourself like you tried before then! I'm tried of always having to protect everybody!" Then when Beth accuses him of not giving a drat about anybody, including Hershel, Daryl gets angry and hits her and then he cries like before because he feels it was his fault for not stopping the Governor. He could even mention how Carl had a shot, but Daryl told him not to do it, so it was more than just not looking for the Gov.

Then don't burn the cabin down because Jesus, that is the stupidest thing ever. You had no sleep the night before, walked around all day, got really drunk on moonshine and now you're leaving the only shelter you found to go wander the woods at night during the zombie apocalypse. Oh, but it's okay because it was symbolic or something. Seriously, did a teenage girl actually write this one?

Tin Miss fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 6, 2014

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Senor Tron posted:

Zombies are attracted to fire, have we seen if they are suicidally so? That would seem like good defense for a camp if so, a couple of big pits filled with fire that the walkers fall into and are destroyed by.

The 'zombie defense' line is a slippery slope that I dont think people in the TWD universe can really employ with any degree of consistency less they actually admit that zombies are low intelligence, easy to predict\control characters. Zombies will literally impale themselves to get at 'food', so we're not talking about things that have a high aptitude for problem solving (rock using zombies excluded). Why weren't there more screamer pits, why not more of Morgan's rat cages, why not man made swamp areas, why not more zombie gut covered survivors, why not more armless\jawless zombies on leashes? I mean hell, in last episode, weren't there a group of zombies that were trying to get a shiny balloon caught on a stop sign? Why rely on a highly transparent fence system when you can employ any number of man made distractions to keep them away from the outer prison walls, especially when you are going to have live people moving around in plain site?

At least they got Woodbury right in that regard, it wasn't like zombies were picking up ladders and suddenly scaling walls.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

The Human Crouton posted:

I want cars to stop working. You can't have cars sit for two years without draining their fluids, and gasoline breaks down.

This is exactly why schools corporations should have never have removed IA/IT/CTE/Ag classes.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

STAC Goat posted:

That's the thing, you're 100% right. There is no point beyond surviving and living. People keep looking for plot development but there's no plot. This is a character show the same way Mad Men* is. Any given season of Mad Men may have some driving problem or an antagonist that forces people to act but the show is about following these people and exploring their world. The Walking Dead is about the same kind of thing. All that angst and loss and bonding and everything else that we've seen over the last few episodes? That's the point of the show.

If you're watching hoping that they go to Washington and start on the road towards a cure or some bigger plot than you're just going to remain disappointed. The show has never been interested in that kind of storytelling, the comic it's based on has never either, and there's really no reason to expect that to change.

*i am in no way comparing Mad Men and The Walking Dead in terms of quality.

I'm guessing this is why I loved Lost so much. I didn't care at all about ISLAND MYSTERIES being answered. To me it was an amazing cast with really cool characters doing cool stuff.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
This episode bothered me because I want the characters to be working toward something, anything. Rick has Karl to care for, Michonne is kind of along for the ride, but now they're all headed toward Terminus. Glenn and Maggie are searching for each other, no matter how remote the chances that they'll ever find each other. Sgt Slaughter and his crew are bound for DC even though it's completely hopeless.

Nothing about Daryl and Beth's "adventure" this week showed me that they're doing anything except trying to survive out of force of habit. That's something worth telling, but I don't think it needed to take a whole hour.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Blazing Ownager posted:

Not to derail the thread or anything, but I have to admit if the new trend for movies marketed and targeted towards women (young ones in particular) is bleak sci-fi and not sparkly vampires, it's a step in the right direction. I wouldn't mind that becoming a trend for a while.
Boy are you in luck!

I mean it's bad, but it's not like it's worse than The Walking Dead or anything

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

That's the thing, you're 100% right. There is no point beyond surviving and living. People keep looking for plot development but there's no plot. This is a character show the same way Mad Men* is.

Reason #932 that, hilariously, Telltale's Walking Dead is better written than the show: It's a character piece too, but it actually has plot arcs and feels as if the story is actually progressing.

The mistake that the show writers and many people looking at it are making is going "There can't be answers or a story to the apocalypse, so it's a character piece." That is wrong, wrong, wrong. You don't need to answer the "greater story" ever, or even delve into it. The thing you need to do is use it that as a backdrop -for- the stories.

Not to say they haven't tried.. it's just that when they do, we end up with stupid poo poo like Woodsbury.

EDIT: Man that whole season 3 arc really feels like such lost potential. We had a chance for two post-apocalyptic societies to have an actual dispute and ultimately war in favor of a poorly written psycho.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Holy poo poo, this is like the horrible hybrid middle child between two market trends. If it were alive, it'd be groaning "Kill me. Killlll me."

Bedurndurn posted:

I liked this episode. Daryl's actor isn't bad, so it was a welcome change for him to actually have some emotions. Burning down the shack at the end of the episode was dumb, but fire is way more visually appealing at night, so whatever.

I was kind of hoping that Daryl's angry drunk mode would continue so aggressively that, at the very least, one of them would end up getting bit and having to perform some moonshine-surgery.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 6, 2014

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

I don't get why her pussy's on fire?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crankit posted:

If that is what makes her "Divergent," I officially change my opinion about it!

EDIT: The actual answer is that it looks like someone wanted to slap a dicked up Hunger Games logo on the poster without violating copyright.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Surlaw posted:

Daryl's talk with Beth needed to happen because the show/fans had built him up into an infallible white knight and it was a good reality check that no, he's just a regular person with flaws and his telling Michonne to give up the hunt really did get people killed.

What the holy loving Christ.

He told her to give up the hunt while on that final run.
They came back to the prison.
She said "I think you're right I will give up the hunt."
She then steps out with Hershel to help dump walker bodies and is captured.
Later that day the governor returns and assaults the prison.

How precisely is Daryl at fault?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

He basically tells her it's time to relax and let her guard down. She does. Bad Guy returns immediately. Plot wise yeah, it was kind of unavoidable, but the show's more about the characters' attitudes than plot and saying that there's no need to worry about that guy anymore essentially summons him up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that's a good set up (everything about Gov Battler Volume 2 felt kind of terrible to me) but that's where I felt the show was trying to go.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Reason #932 that, hilariously, Telltale's Walking Dead is better written than the show: It's a character piece too, but it actually has plot arcs and feels as if the story is actually progressing.
The game is a five episode arc with a very clear, tightly written premise. Yeah, it's better written than the show, but part of the reason is that it had a definitive endpoint that everything built towards and made perfect sense. It's harder to do that with a show/comic set to run indefinitely. Maybe the show should have just been a miniseries.

I don't want to get into too much Game Talk here (and I haven't played Season 2 Episode 2 yet) but the first episode of Season 2 already felt much more directionless to me than the first season and I kind of wish it hadn't been a direct sequel.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 6, 2014

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Surlaw posted:

I don't want to get into too much Game Talk here (and I haven't played Season 2 Episode 2 yet) but the first episode of Season 2 already felt much more directionless to me than the first season and I kind of wish it hadn't been a direct sequel.

That's because they are telling a overarching plot. Although Season 1 had one (Find Clem's parents), the first three episodes were kind of standalone in that they had different plots. Episode 2 of Season 2 is much better than the first (but I liked the first episode, too).

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The overarching point of season 1 was more a story of sacrifice/redemption and all five episodes played strongly to that, finding Clem's parents was ultimately superfluous.

I did enjoy the first episode of season 2, I just enjoyed it more as a series of shorts almost than as a coherent experience. I'm very excited to check out the next episode when I can.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Surlaw posted:

The overarching point of season 1 was more a story of sacrifice/redemption and all five episodes played strongly to that
That's more of a theme, though. The story was to get to Savannah and find Clem's parents and then that changed to (S1E4-5 of the game spoilers) getting Clem back and getting her to safety. Both convey the theme of sacrifice and redemption.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Theme's more important than story to me, which is probably why I don't hate the show. The first game season focused more on theme where the first episode of 2 felt to me like a shift towards a bigger focus on plot, which didn't do as much for me even if it was still really good.

I'm worried that the popularity of the games will eventually cause them to settle into the same endless drive of the comics and show, but I do agree that they're still probably the most well-written part of the franchise.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Surlaw posted:

Theme's more important than story to me, which is probably why I don't hate the show. The first game season focused more on theme where the first episode of 2 felt to me like a shift towards a bigger focus on plot, which didn't do as much for me even if it was still really good.

I'm worried that the popularity of the games will eventually cause them to settle into the same endless drive of the comics and show, but I do agree that they're still probably the most well-written part of the franchise.

The game hasn't really shied away from killing any and everyone though (well except Kenny).

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Maybe a plot driven Walking Dead would be a better show. I have no idea. But it's never been that and I see no reason to think it would become that so I don't get why anyone would waste any time or energy on thinking that way. So if that's what some viewers are waiting for I just kind of want to help and convince them they're wasting their time.

I prefer a character study any day, but this show isn't good enough to execute on that sadly. There's really no reason for it either as the actors seem competent enough, but if the writing and the solid directing just isn't there there then what can you do?

There is really no reason why this couldn't contain character drama on the level of more prestigious shows. They simply are lacking the talent needed to execute like that all the time. I thought first half of this season was great, but it seems like ever since coming back from the break they have let the B team do all the work or something.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
To echo what has been said, the reason TWD doesn't compare to Mad Men is that even though technically in Mad Men there's also no single end point and it's a character-driven story, Don and the cast are very different people nearly every season.

You can look at Don and say, ah, clearly this is after X events. In TWD I generally don't know where people are. It did occur to me that Carol and Glenn are much more hardened, but that's about it. Carl is too but it's too painful to watch him.

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow

rypakal posted:

What the holy loving Christ.

He told her to give up the hunt while on that final run.
They came back to the prison.
She said "I think you're right I will give up the hunt."
She then steps out with Hershel to help dump walker bodies and is captured.
Later that day the governor returns and assaults the prison.

How precisely is Daryl at fault?

Well Carl said he had a shot lined up and wanted to take out the Gov when he was just talking, but Daryl said no, let your dad handle it. I mean it makes perfect sense not to trust loving Corl at the time, but with hindsight he probably regrets it.

Also I think it was implied that both Michonne and Daryl were looking for the Governor in the beginning and Daryl gave up much earlier and felt guilty, not that he was at fault for telling Michonne to give up.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Also the point of that exchange was that Daryl felt responsible for it, not that it was actually his fault. It was in fact obvious that he was the only one blaming himself. Haven't you ever felt responsible for something that wasn't actually your fault?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Boy are you in luck!

Every time I see an ad for this, I think, "Oh, co-ed Lord of the Flies meets Trigun." I'm not looking forward to it. Although the mutant deer was cool in the commercial.

Crankit posted:

:lol:

Bored fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 6, 2014

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Bored posted:

Every time I see an ad for this, I think, "Oh, co-ed Lord of the Flies meets Trigun." I'm not looking forward to it. Although the mutant deer was cool in the commercial.

:lol:

I think you're confusing the upcoming movie Divergent with the upcoming TV show The 100.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

hollylolly posted:

I think you're confusing the upcoming movie Divergent with the upcoming TV show The 100.

You're right. Sorry.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Crankit posted:

Have you never heard of a firecrotch?

Minster
Mar 4, 2014

Right, right.

Bored posted:

I freaking love BadLipReading. I had no clue that they did a voice-over for Walking Dead scenes. Thanks!

"You know...fish can hear you thinkin, just before you sneeze."

The walking farmers, plants and gun seeds. I think i died of laugh.

Minster fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 9, 2014

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
this episode is probably going to blow.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
"I only grow facial hair in these 4 areas."

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand

prezbuluskey posted:

this episode is probably going to blow.

But at least the music will be awesome.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Just caught last weeks ep, Mountain Goats tied it all up nice!

Bromine
Sep 1, 2003

This is how you funsling, Brett.
Haha cough syrup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Didnt Bob get shot? Somebody can be sick for 5 episodes but ol Bob takes a lickin and keeps on tickin..?

• Locked thread