Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

GenericOverusedName posted:

Kinda hard when he's bisected my territory with a 50pd wall of gently caress between my cap and everything else. I'd have to get through it to get my armies to Lanka and gently caress it.

Kitfox you just beat someone with pd. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Pawn checkmates king.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I also have noticed I have this weird attention span problem where after about a month I stop really giving a gently caress about whatever game I'm in, which is probably a contributing factor.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Kinda understandable since things tend to be a bit slow after that.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

jBrereton posted:

Kinda understandable since things tend to be a bit slow after that.

That's when most of the independents are gone and it's no longer a single player game!

Try playing in one MP game and have a plan for what you're going to do beyond expansion. I suspect a lot of people don't do this. Might be why they go AI when they aren't even being destroyed by another player.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Victor Vermis posted:

That's when most of the independents are gone and it's no longer a single player game!
Indies go after like 15 turns at most (so two weeks, ish) unless everyone is really bad and there's some massively inconvenient province layout. Rest of the month is the first couple of big wars. After that it tends to be 2+v1s. Pretty understandable if people go AI if they're getting spanked, it isn't that fun if the start of Year 3 is two nations gangbanging you when they've just got their national specialities coming properly online, and you're so remote that you're unlikely to get support, even if that would make the game go better for everyone else.

I wouldn't do it myself, but it's hard to begrudge people for it.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

jBrereton posted:

Indies go after like 15 turns at most (so two weeks, ish) unless everyone is really bad and there's some massively inconvenient province layout. Rest of the month is the first couple of big wars. After that it tends to be 2+v1s. Pretty understandable if people go AI if they're getting spanked, it isn't that fun if the start of Year 3 is two nations gangbanging you when they've just got their national specialities coming properly online, and you're so remote that you're unlikely to get support, even if that would make the game go better for everyone else.

And that is about the point where you learn how to properly build nation/pretender so that people don't want to gently caress with you as much as they'd rather gently caress with someone else. Also why it's a great idea to have a strong agreement with at least one neighbor so the likelihood of either of you getting 2v1ed is much, much smaller.

Use diplomacy! Be on mIRC! Avoid being on the wrong side of a 1v2.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mystic Mongol posted:

Hi, I'm a Goon, I signed up for the Goon Game Service

I realized I should be less of an rear end in a top hat. Now that you've signed up you should go the IRC channel (it's in the OP, no programs or downloads needed) if you want to play games. That's where a lot of the coordination takes place.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Chomp8645 posted:

I realized I should be less of an rear end in a top hat. Now that you've signed up you should go the IRC channel (it's in the OP, no programs or downloads needed) if you want to play games. That's where a lot of the coordination takes place.

Righto. And you weren't an rear end in a top hat at all.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

I Love You! posted:

Use diplomacy! Be on mIRC! Avoid being on the wrong side of a 1v2.
Incredibly pro tips here that aren't obvious.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Seriously, being on IRC for active diplomacy is the number one thing I'd suggest to anyone. It makes it a lot easier to agree to trades/NAPs/etc. More than once I've chosen who to attack based on the pure fact that they weren't ever on IRC, because that means they probably don't have any allied backup. :colbert:

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

jBrereton posted:

Err yeah you're right about Independents being gone earlier than 30 turns. I was referring to the "lose interest after a month" part of GON's post and threw the caveat in there about "not being destroyed by another nation".

Of course it's valid to go AI if you're beaten. That doesn't seem to be the typical case with folks who load up on games and then disappear, however.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I'm not in any other games at the moment at least!

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Kitfox88 posted:

:c00l:

Scales 4 lyfe mothafuckas

I do this, too. :hf: Maybe I should finally try multiplayer just to piss off goons.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I don't suppose anyone has a steam coupon or something for this? Gamersgate was too poo poo to let me know about the big sale :smith:

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

goons posted:

Cast Terror/Frighten on elephants

I gotta thank you guys for this, my problems are over after he left the army in question sitting on my capitol instead of moving them. Frighten worked like a charm and the 30 or so elephants routed on round two. Now he's got a second army coming my way with 80 elephants but I'm ready for him with more than enough Marshmasters. I'm also now pretty sure he was doing it just to be a dick, so I just finished arranging with his neighbor to 2v1 him out of the game and take all of his territory. :commissar:

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Theres also a bunch of lesser mind control spells in the nature path specifically for animals and elephants arent really known for being kings of magic resistance so you can try that out as well and watch as 10 elephants start slamming their trunk into a former comrade.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Is it worth using Crystal/Slave Matrices to get communions with a nation that doesn't have any astral mages? I learned how awesome communions can be in my games as Pythium, but forging all those crystals is pretty expensive. If nothing else, it looks like it might be better to just forge the Crystal Matrices and try to find some indy mages with S1 to act as slaves.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Jabarto posted:

If nothing else, it looks like it might be better to just forge the Crystal Matrices and try to find some indy mages with S1 to act as slaves.

Correct; slave matrices are a waste of gems, but the crystal matricies are extremely useful.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Astral indies are fairly rare so they're still handy sometimes.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

Is it worth using Crystal/Slave Matrices to get communions with a nation that doesn't have any astral mages?
Depends on:

- What you want to cast (are communions as worth it for Air, Water, Death or Fire magic as for Astral/Earth/Nature/Blood? No, and in fact for Fire are hideously dangerous, because Phoenix Pyre will make your mage line go all Second Intifada when the slaves tire themselves out.)
- How plausible it would be to replace with Blood Sabbaths
- If you find S indies

It is worth it to forge 90 gems' worth of equipment for a single mage to get a +3 communion, especially if that involves empowerment? Unlikely. If you find S1 guys, they're kinda useful.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

jBrereton posted:

are communions as worth it for Air, Water, Death or Fire magic as for Astral/Earth/Nature/Blood? No, and in fact for Fire are hideously dangerous, because Phoenix Pyre will make your mage line go all Second Intifada when the slaves tire themselves out.

Man, I still have a lot to learn about magic in this game. Air, Water, and Fire magic were the exact things on my mind when I asked this question, and aside from Relieve, I don't even know what you'd do with high-level Nature or Astral magic. Even as Pythium I mostly used communions to spam Thunderbolts.

Since I like Vanheim a lot, Sabbaths would actually be a very good idea.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jabarto posted:

Man, I still have a lot to learn about magic in this game. Air, Water, and Fire magic were the exact things on my mind when I asked this question, and aside from Relieve, I don't even know what you'd do with high-level Nature or Astral magic. Even as Pythium I mostly used communions to spam Thunderbolts.

Since I like Vanheim a lot, Sabbaths would actually be a very good idea.

Why do you need it for fire? All your dudes can already cast Phoenix pyre.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Jabarto posted:

Is it worth using Crystal/Slave Matrices to get communions with a nation that doesn't have any astral mages? I learned how awesome communions can be in my games as Pythium, but forging all those crystals is pretty expensive. If nothing else, it looks like it might be better to just forge the Crystal Matrices and try to find some indy mages with S1 to act as slaves.

Fun trick: want to have a communion master cast a spell on the first round of combat? Pick a master that will go near the end of the initiative order. Give him a Crystal matrix, have your slaves cast Slave at the beginning of the fight. Now when his first turn comes around he can cast a big fuckoff spell without having to wait until round 2.

Can save your rear end if you're throwing down an important bigass spell.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Is that third random game still going to happen?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
How and why are you going to do sabbaths with Vanheim? 285 gold seems a bit much for a slave. You can just make a thunderstrike/false horror battery with your vanjarls just by using storm power. Granted, you might want to scoot your mages a little bit closer (or cast aim) due to the accuracy reduction.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Is that third random game still going to happen?

I'm gathering 12 nations from what I've generated to throw one up, and I think professor is still planning his. 4 should cover a huge portion of the interested people.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Except that random nations is so cool we all want to play multiple games of total silliness

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Are you pulling the best/balanced nations from your gens? Because that would seem to be a better way to do it competitively.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I generated nations one at a time until I had a bunch and then went through them looking for ones that seemed balanced at least on the advanced description page. No sacred hoburg cavalry with awe here :v: That's not to say I didn't look for sacreds that were nice, mind you. One nation has a berserker with an enchanted great club, for example.

A nation may have a few individually weak units, or no ranged, but there shouldn't be anything completely useless.

EDIT: For the record, if you want to do what I did above and then make a group of nations that plays nice with one another in a single mod file, there's an option on the second tab of the generator that lets you input sequential random seeds for generation. The seeds you need are the second set in the random nation's .dm file.

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 7, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Speleothing posted:

Are you pulling the best/balanced nations from your gens? Because that would seem to be a better way to do it competitively.

There's so many variables there that I'm not sure anyone can really give a good evaluation of them without playing with them for quite a while.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Third Nationgen game is up, visit the signups thread for info. :dong:

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

RIP

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Corpse Constructs are the stronkest mid game unit ever.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

amuayse posted:

Zap yo dumb rear end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBRKg_UTOyE&t=2m11s

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 7, 2014

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

amuayse posted:

Yea, once I finally stacked the corpse man stuff on a few mages I realized I could output a terrifying stream of strong chaff.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
If you missed the last three loving games, we've got Random Gen game #4, the Infinity Cup!

EDIT: Also I almost forgot about the nation with these, crisis averted. Still, goddamn this is glorious.

ProfessorCurly fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 8, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

These brave crossbowmen saw their chance.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 8, 2014

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
Flamin', ragin' tiny monkey fists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Fox Cunning posted:

Flamin', ragin' tiny monkey fists.