Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Momomo posted:

Didn't the Answer negate her ability to do that? As she progressed, she could understand it less and less, from what I remember.

I love persona but poo poo like this is why the plots get dumber the further you spin off from the main games :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
For all the problems I have with the game, Devil Survivor 2 had some good paths I think. Neither Ronaldo or whatever his name is (I seriously almost typed Naoya) were clear Law/Chaos and while the latter did come off as a complete dickhead, Ronaldo wasn't really charismatic either. There are two other paths, one of which is clearly the "best" one (the only ending I've gotten is the bad Daichi one), but at least you're able to agree with the two antagonists on some level.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

I think the point wasn't 'they're still really stupid' so much as, like Yosuke says, that facing yourself isn't a one-time thing. They weren't magically fixed by their dramatic shadow fights, they're still gonna slip up and make mistakes, and in the few months since P4 ended they've all kinda gotten lax. It's the same reason none of them have their ultimate personas.

Iunno it wasn't exactly a necessary sequel, but it was a nice little character thing.

But they really are stupid. The illusion part of the plot exemplifies it perfectly, it's painfully obvious what's going on but a lot of them just do not get it until it is explained to them. It was bad in the main game as well, most of the times they meet up to talk about the case it's pretty frustrating how thick they're being. The police are the very worst about it though.

Saagonsa posted:

I was loving with you bro.

Though thinking about it, Arena would've been a pretty short as an RPG unless they padded it like they did The Answer, and I don't think anyone would want to play that.

My bad. :shrug: You're right, it would have been very short. I just don't think the story works well since the details change from character to character.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Yu Narukami posted:

"I can get stronger as long as you're there...Isn't that right, partner?"
:unsmith:

Also, Junpei and Yosuke potentially being bros feels like a whole new realm of possibility has opened.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Butt Ghost posted:

Also, Junpei and Yosuke potentially being bros feels like a whole new realm of possibility has opened.

They'll form one of those weird Japanese comedy duos.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

BottledBodhisvata posted:

They'll form one of those weird Japanese comedy duos.

No, for one of those you need a straight man and a goofy one. They're both too goofy.

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

Momomo posted:

Didn't the Answer negate her ability to do that? As she progressed, she could understand it less and less, from what I remember.

With Q being non-canon but its "place" in the P3 timeline being the cancelled school festival she would still know then. Hopefully.

Hellioning posted:

No, for one of those you need a straight man and a goofy one. They're both too goofy.

Then we better have the revival of Operation Babe Hunt.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A 4chan user translated the Elizabeth win quotes, and it turns out "The boy from before" is Sho, who she takes an interest in, not P3MC.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Adachicon 2014

http://digifreaks.tumblr.com/post/78542226324/behold-the-power-of-the-fans-source-1-2-so-the

E: Adachi did nothing wrong.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 5, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

What.

No, seriously. WHAT.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fangirls liking a character!? :nms: How disgusting!

Oh wait I missed the yaoi-y body pillows. Still kind of a silly thing to get so surprised about, though.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

So where can I by that pillow?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saagonsa posted:

So where can I by that pillow?
Haru ComicCity 19 on 3-11-2014 in Koto, Tokyo.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

Fangirls liking a character!? :nms: How disgusting!

Oh wait I missed the yaoi-y body pillows. Still kind of a silly thing to get so surprised about, though.

It's too late to drop it now. It's more the fact someone is creating a convention for a killer

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Endorph posted:

Haru ComicCity 19 on 3-11-2014 in Koto, Tokyo.

Don't miss it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dehry posted:

It's too late to drop it now. It's more the fact someone is creating a convention for a killer

Characters like Adachi are pretty common in stuff meant for fujoshi, it's not a huge surprise.

Still a little weird though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
You gotta respect the dedication, and those goods seem really high quality. Is still baffling that it's Adachi though.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Adachi is a popular character among fans.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dehry posted:

And? He's a fictional character. They like the character, they want to buy merchandise with that character on it and there's been very little official stuff of that nature despite the character being pretty popular with fans (probably due to the spoiler-y nature of him.)

I mean I'm not gonna rush out and buy an Adachi hugpillow, but we might as well discuss the seventeen-billion Rise figurines too. It's not really that noteworthy.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I, personally, am disturbed at the fact that the fans of a video game series where you can ally with Lucifer and commit mass genocide would like such a character.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

I mean I'm not gonna rush out and buy an Adachi hugpillow, but we might as well discuss the seventeen-billion Rise figurines too. It's not really that noteworthy.

I meant "It's too late" as in I've been quoted multiple times with the tag, so it's pointless to edit it.

It seems noteworthy because I haven't seen Adachi things on sale in general, even at conventions where they had whole Persona sections with Marie things.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dehry posted:

It seems noteworthy because I haven't seen Adachi things on sale in general, even at conventions where they had whole Persona sections with Marie things.
Like I said, probably due to the spoiler-y nature of the character. Same reason you don't see much Izanami merch, for instance. All the interesting merchandise designs would inadvertently spoil the game. He's always been pretty popular with fangirls - just go back and watch that one video of all the recent Persona reveals, the crowd lets out a collective, high-pitched squeal at the Adachi teaser from the P4AU trailer.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I'm gonna hold a P4 convention in Canada and call it "Yucon".

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am so happy that Adachi is finally getting the respect he deserves as a central P4 character, now put him in P4D and PQ.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
No joke, I would totally put Adachi in my PQ party if he was available, just to see what the gently caress his skillset is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Artix posted:

No joke, I would totally put Adachi in my PQ party if he was available, just to see what the gently caress his skillset is.
Probably the same stuff he used in his boss fight. Dark spells, debuffs, status ailments.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Butt Ghost posted:

TEAM BROFIST:

Yosuke
Kanji
Junpei
Akihiko
Shinji

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Artix posted:

He'll have a gun as a weapon but can't actually ever use it in battle. :v:

Adachi is my favorite character in P4, gently caress all y'all.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Artix posted:

There are four player slots left open, with speculation stating that they're probably the velvet crew. I'd be totally okay with Margaret and Marie being replaced by FeMC and Adachi.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Butt Ghost posted:

There are four player slots left open, with speculation stating that they're probably the velvet crew. I'd be totally okay with Margaret and Marie being replaced by FeMC and Adachi.

I'm convinced Theo will be from the FEMC version of events and reference things that only happened in that timeline.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Theo can be the P3MC's attendant and he is canon, I doubt there will be more than a line or two that references the Girl MC from P3P. Which is a real shame, because she rules. Please replace Marie and P3MC with Adachi and FemC and I will buy PQ day one, thanks in advance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Theo can be the P3MC's attendant and he is canon,

Theo can only be used by FemMC. FemMC can pick between the two but Theo is lady-exclusive.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, the female MC gets a choice but the male MC doesn't, I guess because they were supremely dedicated to not writing a single new line of dialogue for the male MC's story.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

Theo can only be used by FemMC. FemMC can pick between the two but Theo is lady-exclusive.

Wait really? That's strange, did they just not want to write new dialogue for the male side of things or something?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

Yeah, the female MC gets a choice but the male MC doesn't, I guess because they were supremely dedicated to not writing a single new line of dialogue for the male MC's story.

Considering I was called "Him" or "He" several times in the FEMC route makes it much more believable

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Wait really? That's strange, did they just not want to write new dialogue for the male side of things or something?

The male side doesn't really have anything new in general.

A bitter part of me says they probably wanted to avoid including a gay dating scene since that is also a pretty common reason for avoiding that kind of thing, but Persona is generally not as weird about that so it's probably just more lack-of-new-content.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dehry posted:

Considering I was called "Him" or "He" several times in the FEMC route makes it much more believable
I can't confirm this, but my guess would be that was a problem in translation. Original Japanese used a gender neutral term there, localization team translates it into 'he' or 'him' to make it more natural, oops.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, now that I think about it, the text said "She" but the VA said "He." It was the first event where you wake up in the hospital too, so it's not like it was hidden in tons of dialogue late in game.

They probably could have shoehorned in something with Inaba for the MC, but it would have had to be Yukiko again since only Chie, Kanji, and Yukiko were living in town at the time.

busydelicious
Jan 5, 2009

they call it chivalry
never pull a punch for free

ImpAtom posted:

Which totally makes me hope that the FemMC can be unlocked in Persona Q. I mean, why tease like that, ya know?

I really love the concept of being able to choose to be able to play a female protagonist, but I haven't seen Atlus mention anything about that being in current/future projects. I know it is mostly played by dudes, but I wish they would at least acknowledge or express want to reach out to more womenfolk (or more $$ in general).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

busydelicious posted:

Which totally makes me hope that the FemMC can be unlocked in Persona Q. I mean, why tease like that, ya know?

I really love the concept of being able to choose to be able to play a female protagonist, but I haven't seen Atlus mention anything about that being in current/future projects. I know it is mostly played by dudes, but I wish they would at least acknowledge or express want to reach out to more womenfolk (or more $$ in general).

I really suspect this is a budget issue. The games are all made on shoestring budgets and adding a second character route would require a lot more scripting and dialogue writing and voice acting even for something as simple as P3P.

Which sucks, mind you, but I think it's less a case of will than way considering they seemed to enjoy the P3FMC route.