Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Largepotato posted:

Villain lightning round has begun. Time to tank that MMR.

e: someone lost to my team of 18 Hood, 26 Psylocke, & 25 DD. :psyduck:

Step it up, mother fucker. Get some Bag man in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I just started, and I'm consistently getting paired with level 50-75 dudes in the PVP brackets. I have 2 level 30 1* heroes and all my 2 and 3* covers don't even have all their skills unlocked, let alone above level 20.

Am I just in a high MMR bracket, or is that what the low teams look like?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Infinite Karma posted:

I just started, and I'm consistently getting paired with level 50-75 dudes in the PVP brackets. I have 2 level 30 1* heroes and all my 2 and 3* covers don't even have all their skills unlocked, let alone above level 20.

Am I just in a high MMR bracket, or is that what the low teams look like?

My guess is a lot of high leveled people have low mmrs not because they tank them but because they're bad players.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Also it's not too hard (or at least wasn't when I was starting out) to get at least one team of 50-75 dudes by milking everything out of the Prologue.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
poo poo yes hulk event is coming back.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I wonder if it'll be an alternate Hulk cover. Possibly a two star Hulk.

Probably not, though. HOWEVER, I could use more Hulk covers, so whatever.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahah. 2* Joe Fixit Hulk, using the same cover as Patch for extra confusion.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I am all over Joe Fixit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Joe Fixit for best Hulk.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Current results of Lightning Round MMR tanking.

What I do is start the lightning round as soon as it goes up. Leave a 1/15/2 seed group until last and fight the other seeds until 50-100 points. Then I defeat the 1/15/2 group with a scrub team.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Did the servers go down for anyone else?

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005

Largepotato posted:

Current results of Lightning Round MMR tanking.

What I do is start the lightning round as soon as it goes up. Leave a 1/15/2 seed group until last and fight the other seeds until 50-100 points. Then I defeat the 1/15/2 group with a scrub team.

Is it not enough to get to 50-100 points, sub in your scrub team and then start any fight and immediately surrender?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Three star thor with 2 star thor powers? What the gently caress?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

retro sexual posted:

Is it not enough to get to 50-100 points, sub in your scrub team and then start any fight and immediately surrender?

Don't know if that works anymore, so I have them win to make sure.

messagemode1 posted:

Did the servers go down for anyone else?
I couldn't connect for 10 minute or so.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

CaptainScraps posted:

Three star thor with 2 star thor powers? What the gently caress?

I sure hope this is a bug, because 1)It's lazy as hell, otherwise and 2)Thor is still probably one of the best characters in the game, and we don't need a loving level 121(141?!) version floating around, god drat it.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Anyone else snag that 45000 world point total Hulk before it changed to 450000000?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Anyone else snag that 45000 world point total Hulk before it changed to 450000000?

Nope, disappeared just before I could.

I don't suppose we have a way to see what the new Thor's abilities max out as, do we? I'm wondering if they scale more like the old abilities

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
Anyone else not received their rewards from the Black Panther tournament yet? Don't those generally just take a few minutes?

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Are they really phoning in the new Thor? Jesus, that's funny.

Also the Loki prizes in the Hero tournament are funny poo poo. Watch everyone tank for Ares.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Gallow posted:

Are they really phoning in the new Thor? Jesus, that's funny.

Also the Loki prizes in the Hero tournament are funny poo poo. Watch everyone tank for Ares.

Man, I hope so. I have a maxed out Ares but only like 3 Loki covers.

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Was that the fight where you fought hulk on the main hulk stage and it gives you a hulk cover? If so i managed to get it.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Sefer posted:

Anyone else not received their rewards from the Black Panther tournament yet? Don't those generally just take a few minutes?

Haven't gotten my top 15 prize yet. :ohdear:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Largepotato posted:

I typically get my prizes when I'm just about to send a scathing email to customer support.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

Largepotato posted:

I didn't get as high, but the rewards appeared like an hour late. Play a match if you still haven't gotten them.

Also, I'm a dumbass for not having leveled Daken before. Joined the BP with three and a half hours left and got hit like twice after I kept Daken with me at all times. He's crab deterrent.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

This new Thor has to be a mistake right?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

messagemode1 posted:

This new Thor has to be a mistake right?

Well he's got 9 days to be finalized I guess...

And they bumped up the world point requirement from 450,000,000 to 2,100,000,000. Thank goodness I got the 45000 early bird worm.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Looks like it's not a mistake, my guess is that the gold series is 2* heroes slightly re skinned as 3* heroes with better stats.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Well that was bullshit. Saw a 500 point value level 20 Hulk, decided to tackle it with my low level characters to try out new combos. Surprise! 8000 HP. Turns out that it was a level 90 Hulk and the game displayed the level incorrectly.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Joe Fixit for best Hulk.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
The scaling, rubber-banding, and matchmaking system in this game baffle me at times.

I played through all the available Hulk event missions about an hour ago, replayed a few of them for more points and ended up with ~5000 before I had to get back to work. All the enemies were around level 20 or 25. I pull out my phone ten minutes ago and the point values for the missions are the same but now it wants me to fight a level 180 Hulk for the same 197 points.

I've also hit a weird spot in PvP events. Previously I had been using Thor and Venom a lot, with Venom maxed out and Thor moving up through the 50s and 60s as I collected CStorm covers and leveled her up to replace Venom. I got attacked and countered a reasonable amount with Venom and Thor plus the event characters and could finish top 10 most of the time if I really wanted to.

Now I'm rolling with Thor at level 80 and CStorm at 76 and I got absolutely brutalized for points the last two nights in the Black Panther PvP, losing around 180 each night. I'm starting to break through the Daken/OBW/____, Daken/Wolvie/_____, Daken/Thor/_____ crowd and suddenly the game is throwing teams at me with everybody over level 100, usually Spidey, Patch, Punisher, or CMagneto plus the event character.

Am I at the point where the matchmaking is shoving me into 3-star brackets or what? Do they expect me to start spending HP on shields? I'm never spending money on your game, D3!

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I've found that the longer you try to push PvP tournaments without taking some time to tank your MMR the worse it will get. It's an unfortunate aspect of this game that you are going to have to force your way into some losses to be able to keep going or you'll risk facing too-tough odds or, god-forbid, the Whales.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

re: "Gold" Thor: Who wants to bet that eventually they will release a 4* Black Suit Spider-Man via the same philosophy (Same powers, higher level cap and better stats)?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Arschlochkind posted:

The scaling, rubber-banding, and matchmaking system in this game baffle me at times.

I played through all the available Hulk event missions about an hour ago, replayed a few of them for more points and ended up with ~5000 before I had to get back to work. All the enemies were around level 20 or 25. I pull out my phone ten minutes ago and the point values for the missions are the same but now it wants me to fight a level 180 Hulk for the same 197 points.

Same, except Hulk went straight to 230 from 20 for me, and then went down to 219 after I won. I have no idea what the hell.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

My best guess is that they hosed with the auto level balance system and it wasn't scaling at all, and when they fixed it then everyone's levels skyrocketed. People probably then all promptly lost to the newly level 230 opponents, bringing levels down just a bit again.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

retro sexual posted:

They changed defense so that people only face the last team you win with. It is far better to win with a low level team to rack up the defense losses once you have got a few points up when tanking.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Overflight posted:

re: "Gold" Thor: Who wants to bet that eventually they will release a 4* Black Suit Spider-Man via the same philosophy (Same powers, higher level cap and better stats)?
Classic Spider-Man is already so good that being bumped up to 4-star would actually be a significant nerf.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Is it just me or is PvP fun again now?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PvP's much better since the changes to boosts, attack chances and various nerfbats.

PvE is still a complete mystery though. The more recent events seem better designed. The Simulator and Brotherhood felt like I had pretty decent chances. The Hulk is still a complete clusterfuck though, same as when it was released.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
This hulk event is dull. Bring back the scaling. I took down a level 230 hulk with friends back in simulator basics, this ain't poo poo.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teb1288
Feb 7, 2013
I've seen a lot of people talk about MMR and scaling, but I haven't seen an explanation of how it actually works. Is there a guide somewhere I can read about it?