Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

BearJazz posted:

I am now officially on day four of accumulating sleep points during a boss fight. Every two goddamn turns, almost my entire party gets wiped out. I have, so far, defeated one of the three bosses in the fight.

Definitely changing the difficulty to easy after I'm done with this bullshit.

Holy Sunk Cost Fallacy, Batman! For the sake of your own sanity, reset the drat game and switch up your party set up already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Okay, managed to finish the Vampire sidequest. So Vampire is basically Blue Mage? Cool, I like the Blue Mage class in FF games. What good abilities should I be getting?

Also, did I just get spoiled? I think the sidequest let out a piece of info that said a lot about the plot of the game.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Dr. Fetus posted:

Okay, managed to finish the Vampire sidequest. So Vampire is basically Blue Mage? Cool, I like the Blue Mage class in FF games. What good abilities should I be getting?

Also, did I just get spoiled? I think the sidequest let out a piece of info that said a lot about the plot of the game.

Don't worry you're going to hear a lot more about it soon. Go back to the Wind Temple and get White Wind from an enemy there (floaty balloon things, I forget what they're called but you have to charm them), you'll be happier for it.

Dj Meow Mix fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 5, 2014

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Your question makes no sense.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Note to self. Normally the hunter class looks fine, but my god it completely ruins any scene that's supposed to have pathos or where character expression is important.

Edea's father has never been more dissapointed in his daughter than when she came to him in her fursuit.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, the Ranger outfit looks really stupid. Really some of the job outfits look really ridiculous, like what are the Time Mages even wearing? Spirit Master outfits are baller though.

forbidden lesbian posted:

Your question makes no sense.

I was asking if I was supposed to know that awakening the crystals is a bad thing, and Airy possibly being evil this early.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Harrow posted:

RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME PARTY

Do you have any suggestions of what move I should send to my friends? I tried Rage but apparently moves that are more than 1 attack don't count. Free Lunch + Amped Strike combo is doing about 9999, but I don't think it would go over the damage limit much without some buffing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, the Ranger outfit looks really stupid. Really some of the job outfits look really ridiculous, like what are the Time Mages even wearing? Spirit Master outfits are baller though.

I was asking if I was supposed to know that awakening the crystals is a bad thing, and Airy possibly being evil this early.

If the game gives you information, then you are supposed to know it. What conclusions you draw from that information is your own.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

dipwood posted:

Do you have any suggestions of what move I should send to my friends? I tried Rage but apparently moves that are more than 1 attack don't count. Free Lunch + Amped Strike combo is doing about 9999, but I don't think it would go over the damage limit much without some buffing.

Buff with Performer(Love Power) or Merchant(Pay to Play, Full Leverage) and possibly Spiritmaster (Fairy's Aid) if you can, chain 3 of your specials, Bravely Second and then use your Pirate (or Dark Knight) weapon special to do comical amounts of damage. After about 20 minutes of tinkering I have a 999999 send special now.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
About to go fight the Vampire boss. Had to turn off encounters in the castle, though. :ohdear: I don't blame Ringabel for falling asleep during his speeches, though, dude's got a perfect monotone.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

theshim posted:

About to go fight the Vampire boss. Had to turn off encounters in the castle, though. :ohdear: I don't blame Ringabel for falling asleep during his speeches, though, dude's got a perfect monotone.

I like his voice. :shobon: I thought he sounded familiar but I guess not. Some digging around led me to a Gamefaqs post where they emailed someone from the localization team and the only video game related thing he's done according to IMDB is a follower from Skyrim.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
His voice isn't bad by any means, but it is extremely flat. His delivery is unchanging no matter his words, at least so far.

Which isn't necessarily not in keeping with his history, I guess.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
He's had a few years to think about things, he's past being excited about anything.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Harrow posted:

Outside Florem is great. With a good autobattle and the Growth Egg, it shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes to get Pirate to level 15.

Just random battles around Florem, or one of the dungeons near it?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I think the specific battle that drops 999 JP regularly also shows up in the Gardens, as well as right outside Florem. But I turned off random encounters in dungeons from like...chapter 2. So I might be wrong.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing I like about this game is that the characters are actually pretty reasonable. I remember during one particular reveal (late chapter 5 or chapter 6 spoilers) when Ringabel has his talk with Tiz about Airy and Tiz later talks with Agnes and the Sage, I was really expecting Agnes to go "No way!" and spend another few hours of game time resisting the truth. I was pleasantly surprised that the characters reacted in a fairly realistic way and believed Ringabel after he explained the situation. Ringabel also does a pretty good job of saying/asking whatever the player's thinking once his memories start coming back (and becomes a lot less obnoxious, in my opinion).

One other thing is that I was expecting something where the truth was "in the middle" and that both you and Eternia were wrong, but no - it turns out that your party was actively loving up for the whole first portion of the game and was unequivocally in the wrong. It makes you pretty sympathetic with Edea's father and the other more reasonable Eternian officers during the countless times that they try to tell your party to stop. The one plot-related thing I don't understand yet, but am hoping will be revealed (finishing up chapter 6 now), is why Eternia had so many sociopaths as officers in the first world that gradually become more sane as you meet them in other worlds. I'm cautiously optimistic that there will be a good answer to this, since the rest has been executed pretty well.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I did it literally at the entrance to town. The 999 encounter shows up frequently enough once you get your bonuses going.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There is an answer to that question, but it's spoilers for later chapters: The Sky Knights were known for poor discipline, and they were sent to Caldisla because Caldisla has neither a crystal nor a competent military. Braev hoped Edea's presence would motivate them to shape up (it doesn't always work, as Ominas sometimes murders her). Holly and Barras were not the ones whose job it had been to speak to the Vestal, so it's understandable that they caused a diplomatic incident, and Heinkel was just treating the situation like a war (which, for all he knew, it had become).

Profiteur basically runs Ancheim; he only lets Khamer (who, incidentally, is more of an anti-Crystalist than an Anticrystalist, and is very easy to manipulate for that reason; his obsession with progress is very profitable for the Merchantry (who are only involved with Eternia for the lucrative airship-building contract), so Profiteur encourages him to take it to extremes) think he's in charge. Khint will do anything for money because it pays for orphans in an Eternian hospital, and Jackal is just another one of Profiteur's stooges.

DeRosa is subtly defying orders, insofar as a major part of his operation has the secondary purpose of preparing materials for a coup d'etat he's planning with Profiteur and Qada. Einheria is apparently under the impression that DeRosa's orders come directly from the Grand Marshal, so she can't bring herself to commit treason, if for no other reason than this would invite punishment on her sisters, for whom she feels responsible. Being forced to commit atrocities in the line of duty has driven Mephilia (temporarily) insane, and Artemia's loyalty to Einheria is the only moral code she knows.

Qada committed one atrocity several years ago and has been in the doghouse ever since. Kamiizumi and his Black Blades are there as mercenaries, employed by the Swordbearer commander, who's an opportunistic coward (the mythril mine operation was his idea, for instance). The Swordbearers have nobody but Qada to treat their wounded, so for that reason Kamiizumi refrains from executing him until he finds evidence that he's using the wounded as test subjects. The rest of the Black Blades are just waging war, which is an ugly business.

Victoria is unhinged, but Victor covers for her because he feels responsible for her tragic predicament. DeRosso thinks Braev's priorities are wrong, but respects him enough to go along with it anyway. Yulyana is actually aware of a lot of the nasty poo poo that the Eternian Forces are up to, and helps Agnes put an end to them. Braev himself relies on reports from Alternis to find out what's going on in Florem and Ancheim, and Alternis is a hothead whom Profiteur and DeRosa can easily mislead.

I think that about covers it.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 5, 2014

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I'm at the very last sidequest of chapter 8. Is there any reward for running through that gauntlet, because if not, I think I'd rather just go ahead and finish the game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Almost Smart posted:

I'm at the very last sidequest of chapter 8. Is there any reward for running through that gauntlet, because if not, I think I'd rather just go ahead and finish the game.

The reward is you get to fight them again on command. And whatever Elixir/Megalixirs you get as drops/steals.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Even with Status Ailment Amp my BP factory Red Mage is still missing himself a lot... would having a high MDEF make it miss more often? Or evade?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

dipwood posted:

Even with Status Ailment Amp my BP factory Red Mage is still missing himself a lot... would having a high MDEF make it miss more often? Or evade?

M.Def may have an effect, because my BP battery Red Mage missed herself more than she missed anyone else, and she was the only one wearing magic-type armor. Maybe try switching to something like a Brave Suit or something?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

so, thief/ninja casting adaption and 3 dark knights with 4x dark nebula is pretty much a steamroller for chapter 7 & 8 bosses.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Levantine posted:

I did it literally at the entrance to town. The 999 encounter shows up frequently enough once you get your bonuses going.

These stupid birds keep showing up and messin' with my chains. :mad:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

These stupid birds keep showing up and messin' with my chains. :mad:

Load up with as much AGI-increasing equipment and support abilities as possible. Those birds are jackasses.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Speaking of voices, I swear to god that ringabell is voiced by this guyhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn08tV1Dvbs

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I wish every entry of D's journal was narrated by Ringabel. I could listen to that voice all day. :allears:

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 6, 2014

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
... this is probably an incredibly stupid question, but I can't get back to my airship after bothering the vampire castle. Where the heck do I go that I can get picked back up?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Aerofallosov posted:

... this is probably an incredibly stupid question, but I can't get back to my airship after bothering the vampire castle. Where the heck do I go that I can get picked back up?

There are only three wide open spots where the airship can land on that continent. The nearest to that location is by taking the northwest exit from Central Command.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Aerofallosov posted:

back to the town or the fortress.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So hey, question- is the Chemist class as ridiculously busted overpowered as it was in FF5?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

alcharagia posted:

So hey, question- is the Chemist class as ridiculously busted overpowered as it was in FF5?

It's extremely good and has a ton of utility, but it doesn't have the FF5 chemist's ability to manipulate levels or stats (it can apply buffs but they wear off like all buffs do) or inflict status ailments without fail.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Salve-Maker owns. Two especially wonderful mixes include Giant's Draft, which doubles a character's max HP for the duration of the battle (and will happily exceed 9999), and <element> Bane, which makes an enemy weak to an element of your choosing, depending on the materials you're compounding. There are other mixes that are awesome, of course, but those two are shining stars.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hey I'm over leveled right? Because my party level is 72 and I just finished the fire temple.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Occupation posted:

Hey I'm over leveled right? Because my party level is 72 and I just finished the fire temple.

I wouldn't worry about it too much; job levels and strategies matter a lot more than levels. It's very possible to lose to the final boss even at level 99 if you just charge in without a strategy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thuryl posted:

I wouldn't worry about it too much; job levels and strategies matter a lot more than levels. It's very possible to lose to the final boss even at level 99 if you just charge in without a strategy.

I'm level 99 and in chapter 6, and the side quest bosses are still somewhat challenging.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm just at the end of chapter 3, and I'm already feeling like I have too many classes. Are there more consolidated classes a la red mage, or triple classing, or whatever? I'm feeling like there's no room for me to use ninja/pirate/swordmaster.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Red Mage isn't really a consolidated job of White and Black Mage--it's too generalized and eventually isn't all that useful as a result.

That said, Ninja, Pirate, and Swordmaster are all excellent and you should try to find room for them. Or, to put it another way, Bravely Default doesn't really want you to get comfortable with a single job setup. You're going to get at least six more jobs, too, and none of them are really clear replacements of others. The name of the game is variety, really, and most of the time you're going to want to change your job setup to suit the situation anyway.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Bravely Grinding :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Hey, at least the grinding is insanely manageable. Not like you don't have the right to complain or anything, but it's way nicer then most games.

• Locked thread