Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

VDay posted:

USA's entire lineup?

I said comedies.

e: since this could easily be misconstrued, shows that are meant to be funny, not funny because they are horrible, ie USA shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The guys who write, direct, produce and star in Trailer Park Boys come from that environment. Even if there were rules about who can make fun of who (which there probably shouldn't be) I think they're allowed.

Then again, I'm a fan of that other terribly classist whiteface comedy Raising Hope so I'm probably Hitler.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

soapgish posted:

Replace "white trash" with any other ethnicity and economic tier.

Where is the funny?

I shouldn't give a poo poo because I've never seen Trailer Park Boys and I have no plans to, but when you replace "white trash" with any other ethnicity, "the funny" gets swallowed up in the centuries of systemic suppression and degradation at the hands of the white men in charge. You're absolutely right; racism is racism, sexism is sexism, and circumstance doesn't necessarily make a wrong thing right. But let's be real; it's a.) a crime of affinity, and b.) a crime where the guilty party has Robin Hood appeal. If you're raising this issue, it should be navigated with that in mind.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

IRQ posted:

I said comedies.

e: since this could easily be misconstrued, shows that are meant to be funny, not funny because they are horrible, ie USA shows.

I'm sorry that you hate joy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I feel like now would be a great time to take some fragment of a comment from the last page or so and make it the thread title completely devoid of context. There's a lot of great ones to choose from.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
"Whiteface."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ :argh:

Deadpool posted:

I feel like now would be a great time to take some fragment of a comment from the last page or so and make it the thread title completely devoid of context. There's a lot of great ones to choose from.

Just make the thread title "whiteface".

Because seriously, whiteface.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Y'all are seriously engaging with the poster that wrote this

soapgish posted:

I'm loving the show but the overt racism is a bit off-putting. That may seem like an Opposite Day statement but the depiction of Caucasians is blatantly negative as two of the three, Hitchcock and Scully, are completely inept in all ways and exist purely to be made fun of. The third, the Vulture, makes a living by profiting off the stolen hard work of our black, Hispanic, Jewish, and Italian protagonists.

Hopefully, down the line, this will be remedied as it's a fantastic program which handles the rest of its diversity exceptionally well.

which is probably a bad idea

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

precision posted:

edit: ^^^^ :argh:

Just make the thread title "whiteface".

Because seriously, whiteface.

Came up with a better one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is that a post about how racist Brooklyn 99 is?

Truly, this will not stand.

edit: Ahahaha, that works. :)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

Came up with a better one.

Really? I thought you'd go with "Horse murder has consequences." :v:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know, it really bothers me that there isn't a White Entertainment Televi-*gets shot*

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yoshifan823 posted:

You know, it really bothers me that there isn't a White Entertainment Televi-*gets shot*

http://www.eonline.com

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

:colbert:

I call for mutiny. This man is unfit to lead us.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
FX/X has a weird marketing strategy. They just aired a promo that basically said "If you want to watch Legit, change the channel right now instead of watching The Americans". I mean, it didn't say that second part, but it's... the implication.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

xbilkis posted:

Hahahaha :suicide:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

FX/X has a weird marketing strategy. They just aired a promo that basically said "If you want to watch Legit, change the channel right now instead of watching The Americans". I mean, it didn't say that second part, but it's... the implication.

FX was doing far too well as a network for the last decade or so, they decided they needed to take a few years to slum it like they used to.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

IRQ posted:

I said comedies.

USA has a decent line-up of shows: White Collar, Suits, Psych, Burn Notice, Royal Pains, Monk (which is over but still great).

But then again, aren't you the guy that thinks Big Bang Theory is the best sitcom right now? Can you really comment on the quality of USA's shows?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Ravane posted:

USA has a decent line-up of shows: White Collar, Suits, Psych, Burn Notice, Royal Pains, Monk (which is over but still great).

But then again, aren't you the guy that thinks Big Bang Theory is the best sitcom right now? Can you really comment on the quality of USA's shows?

Burn Notice is over. Psych is ending this season. White Collar probably has a season left in it. USA's best shows are ending and being replaced with awful poo poo like Graceland and whatever the hell that new comedy is. I don't have high hopes for the next few years.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

JohnSherman posted:

Burn Notice is over. Psych is ending this season. White Collar probably has a season left in it. USA's best shows are ending and being replaced with awful poo poo like Graceland and whatever the hell that new comedy is. I don't have high hopes for the next few years.

Yeah, Graceland's pretty lovely. I don't know, they've had a good track record so far, so I wouldn't dismiss their new shows before actually watching them.

Sirens looks pretty decent. Dunno about Chrisley knows Best or Playing House, though.

Also, they have Modern Family, which is decently funny.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One of the promos for Fargo is Martin Freeman just sitting on a dryer and staring at the camera. I have a good feeling about this show.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ravane posted:

Yeah, Graceland's pretty lovely. I don't know, they've had a good track record so far, so I wouldn't dismiss their new shows before actually watching them.

Sirens looks pretty decent. Dunno about Chrisley knows Best or Playing House, though.

Also, they have Modern Family, which is decently funny.

Modern Family is ABC, USA just has syndication rights.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

xbilkis posted:

To be fair I think they're just loving around. I mean if you want to stand out in TVIV you gotta bring up the unjust depiction of white males in tv eventually.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Alright thread, two smokes, lets go.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

SunshineDanceParty posted:

To be fair I think they're just loving around. I mean if you want to stand out in TVIV you gotta bring up the unjust depiction of white males in tv eventually.

Just two pages ago someone commented about "the poison of masculinity" being depicted on some tv show. I think its fair to say that if someone talked about Pretty Little Liars or Lena Dunham's Girls dealing with "the poison of femininity," people would have an absolute shitfit.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

Just two pages ago someone commented about "the poison of masculinity" being depicted on some tv show. I think its fair to say that if someone talked about Pretty Little Liars or Lena Dunham's Girls dealing with "the poison of femininity," people would have an absolute shitfit.

Probably not? I think you're misunderstanding what is meant by "the poison of masculinity". It's not a statement saying that all men are bad, it's the idea that teaching men they have to be macho, violent, insensitive, etc in order to be men is bad. "The poison of femininity" would describe the equivalent phenomenon of teaching women that they have to be (for instance) submissive, or delicate, or physically perfect, in order to be women.

I mean you're Irish Joe, so. Still, someone might find this post useful!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So, would The Carrie Diaries be a good example of "the poison of femininity" then?

I saw that was on Netflix last night and, in absurd curiosity, watched about half an episode before I had to lie down. Had some seriously disturbing nightmares, too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did Supernatural actually do a Slenderman episode this week :what:

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Did Supernatural actually do a Slenderman episode this week :what:

Slenderman and Ghostfacers! It was pretty good, too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Some of you may remember that racist ventriloquist and hack supreme Jeff Dunham had a show on Comedy Central. Well now he has an animated movie featuring his most racist puppet of all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTnaS8xKwS8

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
jeff dunham is easily the best ventriloquist ive ever seen

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is ventriloquism above or below prop comedy in the terrible act spectrum?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
i think you get a divide by zero error if you try to rank them

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Did Supernatural actually do a Slenderman episode this week

It can't be any worse than this season of Marble Hornets has been!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

jeff dunham is easily the best ventriloquist ive ever seen

The America's Got Talent guy is better.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

precision posted:

It can't be any worse than this season of Marble Hornets has been!

I tried to read that thread one time and I had no idea what the gently caress was going on. Is that where slenderman came from?

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

I tried to read that thread one time and I had no idea what the gently caress was going on. Is that where slenderman came from?

The show said it came from the nightmares of an autistic boy so I think they were spot on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Twee as gently caress posted:

The show said it came from the nightmares of an autistic boy so I think they were spot on.

lol

per Wikipedia:
The Slender Man was created on a thread in the Something Awful forum on June 8, 2009, with the goal of editing photographs to contain supernatural entities. On June 10, a forum poster with the user name "Victor Surge" contributed two black and white images of groups of children, to which he added a tall, thin spectral figure wearing a black suit.[3][4] Previous entries had consisted solely of photographs; however, Surge supplemented his submission with snatches of text, supposedly from witnesses, describing the abductions of the groups of children, and giving the character the name, "The Slender Man":

One of the many crimes goons must answer for, in this life or the next.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

zoux posted:

Nah. they just took the idea and did stuff with it, I dont know what because Im not gonna watch that.

I remember reading the original thread where the forums came up with him. One dude posted this image with a bunch of people rolled with it adapting their own pictures and stories creating the character.

Basically what Im saying is where is my check, hollywood???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There is a Hollywood blockbuster Slender Man movie coming out and Victor Surge apparently isn't getting any of the money for it, but the other goons are. Apparently he is OK with that, but I don't know why.

Maybe he's embarrassed.

• Locked thread