Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
The last bicycle PSA was amazing. 918 was amazing. Episode was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

So, was Jeremy really told by Porsche that he cannot drive the 918? Or was that just something funny he wanted to say. Would be interested to find out if that was true. I feel Jeremy's reviews of super/hyper cars are leagues better then Hammond's, would have preferred it if he had done the review of the 918.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Zarkov Cortez posted:

It needs the audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmNCziNhMmI

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
No wonder Clarkson gets a sore butt when he puts his padded bike shorts on top of his jeans.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Loved that episode.

Did anyone else find it interesting that they drove the Porsche at Yas Marina, which is where other reviewers (Chris Harris and Evo) have driven the P1, but they drove the P1 at Spa? Having both cars on the same track (albeit separately and with different drivers) would have been quite good.

I was curious about that as well. Obviously Hammond was also down there to review the 6x6 that was on last week's episode.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

It was a good episode, apart from THAT ONE GUY IN THE AUDIENCE :cry:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

HDC posted:

Yeah, they're definitely overdid it, poo poo almost looked like a game. On the other hand, maybe that was the effect they were going for.

The flame effect was eugh.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

angryhampster posted:

I was curious about that as well. Obviously Hammond was also down there to review the 6x6 that was on last week's episode.

Abu Dhabi Film Corporation (or something similar) was listed in the credits, so I'd be interested in finding out whether they helped out financially with either segment. You might think it's ludicrous, but from a marketer's perspective having an extremely popular show filming in your facilities is fantastic publicity.

I thought the Porsche review was brilliant, though maybe not quite as good as the P1. That initial shot where they tracked down the entire straight to a close-up of Hammond, "let's make some noise", and then the car takes off was amazing - probably one of the best sequences I can ever remember them doing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MrChips posted:

It was a good episode, apart from THAT ONE GUY IN THE AUDIENCE :cry:

I thought he was some sort of lifelike wax dummy Clarkson had managed to get from Madame Tussauds until he started blinking.

Those teeth :haw:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

So the 918's top exhausts don't shoot like jet engines? I'm confused. :(

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Zmup4TfVg

Oh to be a rich man in the Middle East.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I found the bike PSA to drag on a bit too long, however the PSAs that came out of it were good.

I wonder how long it will be till backyard car modifiers try to do the head high exhausts thing on their buckets of poo poo.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Those 918 exhausts are glorious and I hope they make it in to something remotely affordable some day.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I love the idea of those top mounted exhausts. But the reality would be a nightmare of unburned fuel and oil and associated crap constantly dribbling down the back of the car.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

Gorilla Salad posted:

I love the idea of those top mounted exhausts. But the reality would be a nightmare of unburned fuel and oil and associated crap constantly dribbling down the back of the car.

You can afford to pay a dude to just live in your garage and wash your car after every drive.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

My favorite part about both the P1 and 918 is they look like something out of science fiction, just like God intended all hypercars.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

KKKLIP ART posted:

My favorite part about both the P1 and 918 is they look like something out of science fiction, just like God intended all hypercars.

They make the Huayra look tame.

Except for the interior, Pagani always goes crazy with that.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

Oh man, that Caterham 160 looks like so much fun.

http://uk.caterhamcars.com/cars/seven-160

This needs to be available in the US.

As you would expect with this show, it wasn't really the full account.

Practically speaking, you need the heater, full weather kit and probably the spare wheel (not included!) to make it anything other than a track day car, unless you live in Texas or southern California. Certainly you do in the UK, where as you may have heard it drizzles a lot. That's a lot of extra money and extra weight eating into that 5.9 sec 0-60. A used Ford engined roadsport (small, skinny rims) with weather kit and heater is probably a better deal.

Also, while the numbers are theoretically exactly what a driving enthusiast should be looking for in a road car, there is a basic problem with this car for UK drivers. If you're caught doing up to 80mph in a 60 or 90 on a motorway in your new 200hp Audi TDi POS upper middle class snorevagen, you most likely get a fixed penalty speeding fine and 3-5 points. If you're caught deliberately inducing 20 degrees of opposite lock at 30mph on a completely deserted roundabout, you are setting yourself up for a possible dangerous driving charge. Which is the UK equivalent of a felony.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

fyodor posted:

So the 918's top exhausts don't shoot like jet engines? I'm confused. :(

Unless it has jet engines, I don't think it's possible for a car engine to do that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

twoot posted:

Al Gore seemed to enjoy the news

Seriously, that was one scary loving face right there. Just. Staring.

Laughed my rear end off at Aaron Paul. Given the reaction over there despite it apparently not ever being on British TV, it sounds like Breaking Bad to them is The One True Top Gear to us.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

It was bizarre Clarkson asking what crystal meth was, they don't have amphetamines there?

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Unless it has jet engines, I don't think it's possible for a car engine to do that.

A friend of mine's old RX-7 used to shoot flames out of the exhaust during gear changes sometimes, but they were large orange burns, nothing like what they showed with the Porsche.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Bumming Your Scene posted:

It was bizarre Clarkson asking what crystal meth was, they don't have amphetamines there?

From what I can find, methamphetamine exists in the UK, but it's nowhere near as popular as in the US or places like the Czech Republic. Meth hasn't really caught on in the UK (estimates put meth users at about 17,000 versus almost 50,000 for cocaine), and as of now it's largely confined to small, heavy partying, subset of the gay community, although use will probably increase if the cost of the drug comes down.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

victorious posted:

A friend of mine's old RX-7 used to shoot flames out of the exhaust during gear changes sometimes, but they were large orange burns, nothing like what they showed with the Porsche.

I've seen other shots of similar coloured flames coming out of other supercars like the Aventador, I just assumed it's unburnt fuel and they were replaying the shot. Does it happen all the time? Of course not but it looks cool, so what if they overused the shot.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Aargh posted:

I've seen other shots of similar coloured flames coming out of other supercars like the Aventador, I just assumed it's unburnt fuel and they were replaying the shot. Does it happen all the time? Of course not but it looks cool, so what if they overused the shot.

The P1 has a blue flame thing going on with the exhaust as well, like at about 45 seconds onwards:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t1L5ShVR8w

Maybe it's something specific to the hybrid motors that the 918 and the P1 use?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bumming Your Scene posted:

It makes me giggle to think that Clarkson has been a huge Breaking Bad fan this whole time, but there's always been this one niggling little mystery about it he's been dying to ask: What on earth is crystal meth?

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Saga posted:

As you would expect with this show, it wasn't really the full account.

Practically speaking, you need the heater, full weather kit and probably the spare wheel (not included!) to make it anything other than a track day car, unless you live in Texas or southern California. Certainly you do in the UK, where as you may have heard it drizzles a lot. That's a lot of extra money and extra weight eating into that 5.9 sec 0-60. A used Ford engined roadsport (small, skinny rims) with weather kit and heater is probably a better deal.

Also, while the numbers are theoretically exactly what a driving enthusiast should be looking for in a road car, there is a basic problem with this car for UK drivers. If you're caught doing up to 80mph in a 60 or 90 on a motorway in your new 200hp Audi TDi POS upper middle class snorevagen, you most likely get a fixed penalty speeding fine and 3-5 points. If you're caught deliberately inducing 20 degrees of opposite lock at 30mph on a completely deserted roundabout, you are setting yourself up for a possible dangerous driving charge. Which is the UK equivalent of a felony.

Why would you want to look like a complete knob every time you drove that car in public? That car is fine for a track car but I'd never, ever drive that in public.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Saga posted:

If you're caught doing up to 80mph in a 60 or 90 on a motorway in your new 200hp Audi TDi POS upper middle class snorevagen, you most likely get a fixed penalty speeding fine and 3-5 points. If you're caught deliberately inducing 20 degrees of opposite lock at 30mph on a completely deserted roundabout, you are setting yourself up for a possible dangerous driving charge. Which is the UK equivalent of a felony.
While this is true, speed cameras can do dick-all to catch you doing the latter.

It's a compound risk - that of how severe the punishment would be, but also the chance of being caught.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

webmeister posted:

The P1 has a blue flame thing going on with the exhaust as well, like at about 45 seconds onwards:

Looks like I'm wrong, holy poo poo thats cool.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Top Gear needs to get their hands on the Koenigsegg One:1 and do a shootout with it, the 918, and the P1.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Kenshin posted:

Top Gear needs to get their hands on the Koenigsegg One:1 and do a shootout with it, the 918, and the P1.

And the LaFerrari

pik_d fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 6, 2014

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

And a Morris Marina

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

You Am I posted:

And a Morris Marina

Bought sight-unseen, from The Internet

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

webmeister posted:

Well sheeit. Most lighter hydrocarbons do burn with a blue flame with sufficient oxygen (ie stoichiometric mixture), the orange color is due to soot (from a rich mixture) heating up and glowing orange.

What I'm saying is those must be some very finely tuned machines if the fuel's burning that color.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

You Am I posted:

And a Morris Marina
With 2 pianos already strapped to the roof.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Really, there should always be either a Morris Marina or a Reliant Robin in all circumstances.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Fucknag posted:

Well sheeit. Most lighter hydrocarbons do burn with a blue flame with sufficient oxygen (ie stoichiometric mixture), the orange color is due to soot (from a rich mixture) heating up and glowing orange.

What I'm saying is those must be some very finely tuned machines if the fuel's burning that color.

If memory serves me correctly, in some of the footage from the Clarkson/Harris reviews you can see two little nozzle-type injectors on the top of the exhaust tip.

Here, and throughout the track portion of the review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb8tGX-HPQE&t=1219s

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk
Don't forget that the Mclaren P1 with plate P100V is a test mule and not a production vehicle so those are most likely sensors measuring outflow gases or in top Gear's case the microphones that they wire up to get the exhaust note. The Aventador was burping flames in 18x01 as well.

The blue flame is a result of an extremely short exhaust, so the overrun gases and fuel that escape are able to detonate due to the extreme heat from the engine and catalytic converters. Couple that to a shorter than average exhaust pipe they use to exit the vehicle and you get the light show. I think in the 918's case, there was some enhancement to exaggerate it.

eggyolk posted:

If memory serves me correctly, in some of the footage from the Clarkson/Harris reviews you can see two little nozzle-type injectors on the top of the exhaust tip.

Fuller9x fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 6, 2014

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

eggyolk posted:

This is an excellent video.... My innermost nerd was thoroughly pleased by the chief test pilot driver of McLaren going over some of the technical bits of what makes it such an excellent driver's car.

Torquefill? Heave control? Aerodynamic controls for pitch sensitivity under braking? Oh my...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelBitten
May 12, 2009
Here's the LaFerrari doing something similar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMDVMp3CbdY&t=50s