Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I want pack rat tokens with pictures of Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Humphrey Bogart, Peter Lawford, Joey Bishop, Emilio Estevez, Anthony Michael Hall, Rob Lowe, Andrew McCarthy, Demi Moore, Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald, Ally Sheedy, Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Owen Wilson, Luke Wilson, Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn, and Steve Carell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just use Plague Rats for my pack rats.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The best Pack Rat tokens are more copies of Pack Rat in different sleeves.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Jabor posted:

Yeah I wish I'd got on that before it became a five dollar card.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Jabor posted:

Is that actually legal? I thought tokens weren't allowed to look like Magic cards.

aWall
Jan 28, 2003

Football Jesus

50 pounds of bread posted:

This deck is not consistent at all, I was just VERY lucky, and got Pstorm almost every opening hand.

Possibility Storm deck chat

How it basically plays out is, I dig a little bit with dimir charm/izzet charm/magma jet/omen speaker. Diabolic tutor whatever I am missing (storm or thoughtseize) then try to not die until I can hit a storm, after which I almost always win, unless my opponent already is threatening lethal. I have played some games that I storm a diabolic tutor into thoughtseize though, which makes you want to cry. I never storm unless I already have the thoughtseize unless there is no chance of me winning. I think against aggro, boarding out some pieces of the combo might be the right choice, but I haven't really figured out what to do other than mash anger into the deck.

I built this on MTGO, but didnt have the full four Jace. I tried out Aetherize instead. I'm guessing Jace is better, but at the very least I think Aetherize is probably better than the Anger of the Gods you have in the sideboard since it works well against agro and doesnt ruin your combo.

Deck is definitely fun to play. I havent figured out a way to win if you dont have 2 untapped land after you enter the infinite for the omen speaker.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Please don't use pack-rats as tokens. I give out way too many deck check losses already.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

aWall posted:

Deck is definitely fun to play. I havent figured out a way to win if you dont have 2 untapped land after you enter the infinite for the omen speaker.

Run a singular Judge's Familiar.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Stinky pit are you playing or judging at GP Richmond ?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I'm playing, I wasn't sure I was going until after the application due date.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Stinky Pit posted:

I'm playing, I wasn't sure I was going until after the application due date.

You probably could have asked anyway, they're parachuting in some higher level judges from Europe to try and bulk up numbers. A domestic L2 might be appreciated.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I mean its possible they have to beg for Judges to pass on playing like the T.O. had to for GP Las Vegas but I doubt it, they have 100+ Judges.

Its far more likely that running 3 flights means they have a demand for experienced Head Judges and Scorekeepers to run the other flights. You can make do being down a couple of bodies on the floor, but a good Scorekeeper and HJ is not something you can skimp out on, and there are very few Judges who could handle those tasks for such a sizable event Worldwide let alone here in North America.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Run a singular Judge's Familiar.

I think this is right, and I think it belongs in the rakdos cluestone slot.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

So with SCG buying Tarns and Mistys at $70, it looks like they're pretty successfully moving the new baseline price on those up to $100 each and CFB has followed suit. I wouldn't be surprised if TCGPlayer is cleared out of everything below that before the weekend.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

http://mtg.dawnglare.com/

The tools here highlight the cards worth looking for. The price visualizer is a good tool as well.
It takes a working knowledge of set symbols though.

Thanks for this, I was pretty sad when ark42 went down. Any idea why the drop-down selector for set doesn't actually work?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Veyrall posted:

There's a guy who wears an old red beret from some military thing at my LGS. I can't decide if it's just different enough to be kinda cool, or just different enough to be hipster.

As for picture sleeves, what are some decent sources? My LGS only has anime girls (of the clothed variety), Game of Thrones, and Boris Vallejo pin-ups. Is there a way to get custom sleeves?

The other day I had a customer who looked like a British professor from like 1957. Vest, Jacket with elbow pads, pocket watch, flatcap, calf length boots with the pants tucked into them, mutton chops, the works.

I have never hated a human being so much in my life.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Stinky Pit posted:

I mean its possible they have to beg for Judges to pass on playing like the T.O. had to for GP Las Vegas but I doubt it, they have 100+ Judges.

Its far more likely that running 3 flights means they have a demand for experienced Head Judges and Scorekeepers to run the other flights. You can make do being down a couple of bodies on the floor, but a good Scorekeeper and HJ is not something you can skimp out on, and there are very few Judges who could handle those tasks for such a sizable event Worldwide let alone here in North America.

So maybe you can explain this to someone who is still fairly confused by swiss. If they have 3 flights, how do tiebreakers work when we have 3 hypothetical 9-0 players in each flight? I guess it doesn't matter they all go to day 2 and 2 would play each other and 1 gets ranked down?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Literally The Worst posted:

The other day I had a customer who looked like a British professor from like 1957. Vest, Jacket with elbow pads, pocket watch, flatcap, calf length boots with the pants tucked into them, mutton chops, the works.

Please tell me they were something like 25 years old.

"Yes, this pocket watch brings everything together. SO loving DAPPER. Time to go play Wizard Poker with my chums."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Promoted Pawn posted:

"Yes, this pocket watch brings everything together. SO loving DAPPER. Time to go play Wizard Poker with my chums."

He wasn't that much older than me, and I'm about to be 24.

He also wasn't there for Magic, he just came in while I was running Game Day and I was taken aback by how terrible it was.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Promoted Pawn posted:

"Yes, this pocket watch brings everything together. SO loving DAPPER. Time to go play Wizard Poker Whist with my chums."

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Well that was certainly interesting. Went 3-0 on Standard playing against a Golgari deck, GR Monsters, and a somewhat silly mono blue deck. The blue deck ran a bunch of card draw, elixir, psychic spiral, and a ton of bounce effects (whelming wave, aetherize, cyclonic rift) along with other defensive spells (downsize). Game one of the match against him went to turns with me getting two Elspeth emblems, ultimating Jace to cast his spiral, and having Aetherling on the board since about turn 8 along with Assemble the Legion popping on and off of the board. Won on the last turn by syncopating his bounce for 20.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Literally The Worst posted:

Was there literally anything that actually made him an unpleasant person to be around or do you just hate awesome 1957 british professors?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Thanks for this, I was pretty sad when ark42 went down. Any idea why the drop-down selector for set doesn't actually work?

Worked the other day I swear!!

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

jassi007 posted:

So maybe you can explain this to someone who is still fairly confused by swiss. If they have 3 flights, how do tiebreakers work when we have 3 hypothetical 9-0 players in each flight? I guess it doesn't matter they all go to day 2 and 2 would play each other and 1 gets ranked down?

Every X-2 or better Player from each flight is going to Day 2.

Day 2 is 1 Flight 6 Rounds. Top 8 plus every X-2 player gets a Pro Tour invite. I think. This poo poo is way above my paygrade.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

Was there literally anything that actually made him an unpleasant person to be around or do you just hate awesome 1957 british professors?
Classy ladies and gentlemen also used to wear fedoras and look where that got us.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
A teenage kid came into my store in a full Link costume a while back, like a professional-looking one with chainmail and a latex sword and shield and everything. No conventions in town at the time and nowhere near Halloween. It was kind of cute if inexplicable.

My fave thing about having a Magic related job is the young players. A lot of them start out really awkward or shy, and you can see their social skills noticeably improve as they come out week by week to play tournaments and end up talking to people :3:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
There is a kid that plays in my local shop, the son of one of the regulars. And by kid, I mean, he is 5 years old, maybe 6. He knows how to draft, he can read the cards, and he has just played enough Magic with his dad that he can play pretty well on his own. Usually you have to help him shuffle. But he doesn't even go 0-3 most of the time. On Game Day his dad built him a Phenax deck that managed to crush the Paul Dunn Agent Nighthowler deck I was running.

What I'm saying is get ready for a Pro Tour 10 Year Old.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Stinky Pit posted:

Every X-2 or better Player from each flight is going to Day 2.

Day 2 is 1 Flight 6 Rounds. Top 8 plus every X-2 player gets a Pro Tour invite. I think. This poo poo is way above my paygrade.

Further, Top 8 get a paid invite, all other X-2s get an unpaid invite.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Really? I thought all invites were paid.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Stinky Pit posted:

Wouldn't that get expensive pretty quick?

edit: also for GP Richmond should I actually print out that QR code or can I just have it on my phone and have them scan it? I have no printer :v:

mbt fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 6, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Pro Tour invites traditionally include lodging and airfare. Pro Tours are like 300 players, its expensive but when its pretty crucial to the Organized Play structure that keeps you making crazy piles of money I don't think Wizards cares.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Boco_T posted:

There is a kid that plays in my local shop, the son of one of the regulars. And by kid, I mean, he is 5 years old, maybe 6. He knows how to draft, he can read the cards, and he has just played enough Magic with his dad that he can play pretty well on his own. Usually you have to help him shuffle. But he doesn't even go 0-3 most of the time. On Game Day his dad built him a Phenax deck that managed to crush the Paul Dunn Agent Nighthowler deck I was running.

What I'm saying is get ready for a Pro Tour 10 Year Old.

There an 8 year old girl my shop whose parents both play and she kept begging to come so they caved....and she actually out-drafts her mom. She is going to be the coolest person ever when she grows up if she stays weird and doesn't turn into a total bitch, she is ridiculously witty and amusing for her age an can talk some serious poo poo during a game.

This other boy I haven't seen in a while, apparently his grades slipped a little so dad won't let him come back until that improves (good on him)...he's 11 and placed higher than I did at the last SCG Open we went to.

I generally hate children but love being around these two. It gives me hope that not all parents are poo poo today. It's also amusing to watch the ways they've overcome the not-insignificant obstacle of handling these cards with such tiny hands :3:

The moral of this story: teach your kids Magic. (endorsing this statement as both a player and a former math teacher....seriously, this poo poo really helps math skills, I used it in lesson plans all the time)

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

BaronVonVaderham posted:

There an 8 year old girl my shop whose parents both play and she kept begging to come so they caved....and she actually out-drafts her mom. She is going to be the coolest person ever when she grows up if she stays weird and doesn't turn into a total bitch, she is ridiculously witty and amusing for her age an can talk some serious poo poo during a game.

This other boy I haven't seen in a while, apparently his grades slipped a little so dad won't let him come back until that improves (good on him)...he's 11 and placed higher than I did at the last SCG Open we went to.

I generally hate children but love being around these two. It gives me hope that not all parents are poo poo today. It's also amusing to watch the ways they've overcome the not-insignificant obstacle of handling these cards with such tiny hands :3:

The moral of this story: teach your kids Magic. (endorsing this statement as both a player and a former math teacher....seriously, this poo poo really helps math skills, I used it in lesson plans all the time)

I hope my boys will be interested. They're young now 2.5 and 8mo but I already have the toddler hooked on "playing cards" Those stupid adverts are useful for something. We practice counting and he thinks a riffle shuffle is loving magic.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

There are some pretty non-poo poo kids that come into our LGS. Sometimes during FNM we'll get a group of kids and their father. Its always fun to brew with them, because they have no guile and want to make their mill deck work. :3:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
At my last EDH grand melee there was a pretty young kid (< 10) running Anax & Cymede who was really making an effort to learn how to play the game well, so we were all coaching him mid-game and helping him remember triggers.

I felt kind of bad because later on I kill-stole from him (KO-ing a player in this format wins you a pack), but in my defense he Erased my Ghostly Prison without any reason, and that was going to protect me from the elfball guy who had been steamrolling everyone else so what goes around comes around kid :argh:

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This post makes it sound like you think girls can only be either weird or a bitch. You might be the grognard.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

50 pounds of bread posted:

This post makes it sound like you think girls can only be either weird or a bitch. You might be the grognard.

That has more to do with dealing with her mom than a generalization. Thankfully she seems to take after her dad.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Fox of Stone posted:

Classy ladies and gentlemen also used to wear fedoras and look where that got us.
I'd rather see idiots dressed as Oxford scholars than Yankee libertarians, at least it's a change of scenery for the time being.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Stinky Pit posted:

Nope. PTQ winners and GP Top 4 (or Top 8 for 1,200+ player GPs) are paid, and those that qualify with 39 match points are not. This was made very clear to all of us at GP Vegas, which I believe was the first time the rule was applied. Technically each GP could have a different rule on this for whatever reason, but usually the following is posted on each GP info page, emphasis mine:

quote:

If Grand Prix attendance is 1,200 or more, Top 8 finishers earn invitations and airfare, and all players with 39 or more match points who do not make Top 8 earn invitations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

jassi007 posted:

he thinks a riffle shuffle is loving magic.
I have ham-hands, and I too believe that riffle shuffling is a black art practiced by witches

• Locked thread