Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Here found a link of it elsewhere so if you're looking for tyranid bioship stats, as well as stats for like their living artillery or other stuff FFG hasn't covered, here ya go. It is rather in depth for some homebrew rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Those homebrew rules are pretty great. They also go much better with RT/DH than the later Tyranid stats because they aren't necessarily written with the 'stuff tends to have 30-120 wounds and has to challenge Marine PCs' mindset of the later games.

Funktastic Dog
Nov 8, 2011

by Ralp
If I was to give me Deathwatch emperors, all of which collectively make up the new emperors of mankind in a time fuckery scenario thing, superpowered bolters, what stats would they have?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just make them hit like a Baneblade's main gun.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I'd say take a look at the relic weapons in DW and the special weapons that are either character-specific or chapter relics from the SM Codex. For example, the Primarch's Wrath in 40K has slightly better armor penetration than a regular bolter, shoots at a rate of fire somewhere between a storm bolter and a regular bolter, and allows a re-roll of failed to wound rolls.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!
Tyranid fleet stats: hope you have Nova Cannons and lots of time to fire them. If not, you lose.

El Spamo posted:

All this chat about Space Marines has got me thinking that I'd want to involve them in my Rogue Trader game as a plot point. Something along the lines of a wrecked ship on a planet, or adrift, or something like that on their way to a mission. Probably breaking something, whatever. RT crew comes across it, and would (probably) rescue them. Pretty confident about that, the crew is brutal and avaricious but not very heretical. I ran the first adventure out of the back of the book, they ended up spacing the pilgrims in The Maw ("are they useful?" "no." "space 'em") and stealing random alien poo poo on the off chance it'd sell.

Spacing pilgrims isn't very pious, and dealing in xenos artifacts carries a death sentence even for Rogue Traders (unless you sell them to other xenos I guess).

But they're Rogue Traders, so it's only heresy if you get caught.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

Tyranid fleet stats: hope you have Nova Cannons and lots of time to fire them. If not, you lose.

Spacing pilgrims isn't very pious, and dealing in xenos artifacts carries a death sentence even for Rogue Traders (unless you sell them to other xenos I guess).

Rogue Traders seem to have a weird line to walk with regard to xenos trade. The implication is that you can only trade with xenos or in xenos artifacts so long as it benefits the Imperium and isn't being done solely to fill the RT's coffers. The distinction may well be lost on many Inquisitors.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rogue Traders are like any other large corporation or semi-state-like entity. Everything they do is only illegal if someone is both willing and able to prosecute them, and they have the resources to make both of those things difficult to do. Either they can make it more valuable to someone to leave them alone (either by cutting them in, bribing them, or performing other services for them) or they can pay assassins to kill your entire family as a message that you shouldn't have bothered them. You know, depending on their mood and means.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Hodgepodge posted:

Whenever anyone, of any stripe, anywhere in the galaxy thinks about prosecuting a Rogue Trader that person must also think about if they have enough men, materiel and willpower on hand to fight his starship/s. Given that even a small starship can devastate a planet and kill billions of people, they'd better be drat sure that this is the best use of their time and energy.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

PantsOptional posted:

Rogue Traders seem to have a weird line to walk with regard to xenos trade. The implication is that you can only trade with xenos or in xenos artifacts so long as it benefits the Imperium and isn't being done solely to fill the RT's coffers. The distinction may well be lost on many Inquisitors.
I'm not sure if we've ever got particularly clear fluff on non-RTs owning Xenos artifacts either. Most suggests that it's illegal to own or trade almost all of them, in which case how is a Trader supposed to turn a legal profit from their entirely legal right to trade in Xenos tech? Get lucky and find something like Joakero Digi-Weapons? Or perhaps they're just expected to trade for raw materials from Xenos, as there's not much moral corruption involved in using alien-mined iron ore.

Sour Blossom
Apr 21, 2005
L O L 6 6
Even xenos-modified grain is contraband, so I am not at all sure on that one.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thanqol posted:

Whenever anyone, of any stripe, anywhere in the galaxy thinks about prosecuting a Rogue Trader that person must also think about if they have enough men, materiel and willpower on hand to fight his starship/s. Given that even a small starship can devastate a planet and kill billions of people, they'd better be drat sure that this is the best use of their time and energy.

The faction that usually prosecutes a Rogue Trader is the Inquisition and unless it is some small fry who has no pull they will have their own ship and/or fleet depending upon how prepared they are for the situation. Rouge Traders are powerful and not to be taken lightly but at the same time there are many factions who if given a reason are able to wreck them.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also depends how Puritan or Radical the inquisitor is. Some wont care unless the RT is selling xenos tech to common citizenry or acting in a way that actively benefits the xenos over the Imperium.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah, I think of inquisition attention as being based on how much of a long view (usually radicals) they take on how you contribute to the overall empire coupled with the resources they have. A weak but very extreme puritan might come after you on the strength of their conviction and make some small immediate danger and moderate paperwork no matter what you do. A moderate or puritan inquisitor might sniff around you if you do regular RT stuff. Any inquisitor could come after you for doing way out-there stuff, up to and including radicals, who are the most dangerous aside from the rare moderate who happens to have heavy bureaucratic backing.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!
Radical Inquisitors won't care about a RT entering the cold trade... as long as it benefits them. RTs are allowed to deal with xenos- except those classified as "Xenos Horrificus"- and own Xenos artifacts. Even wearing a Xenos weapon in the Imperium itself is a sign that the RT is confident he's untouchable politically, though.

Openly trading in Xenos items in the Imperium is always a death sentence. At best. There are always plenty of nobles and others who will buy them, though, and they aren't about to tell anyone. Although if the wrong Inquisitor decides to question them, you're still in for some hard questions that come down to "how well connected are you really?" You're still dead if it's a hardcore puritan or just someone who really doesn't like you, especially if your allies don't know that you're in trouble.

Like with Inquisitors, Rogue Traders are high enough in the Imperium's hierarchy that their power is a matter of politics, not formal rank.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 6, 2014

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Hunt11 posted:

The faction that usually prosecutes a Rogue Trader is the Inquisition and unless it is some small fry who has no pull they will have their own ship and/or fleet depending upon how prepared they are for the situation. Rouge Traders are powerful and not to be taken lightly but at the same time there are many factions who if given a reason are able to wreck them.

That same Inquisitor has to contemplate potentially losing multiple very expensive starships and risking the security of the entire sector against possibly bringing one human criminal to justice - in an environment where there's Tyrannid invasions, legitimate Chaos cults, etc anywhere you can throw a stone. I'm not saying it doesn't happen because it happens for sure but I'm pretty sure most of the time the decision to prosecute a Rogue Trader is less about 'He has broken the law!', because they -all- have, and more about 'I have a personal grudge against this bastard and am prepared to risk my entire career to bring him down!'

Makes for cooler showdowns, too.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Do Blanks ever become Space Marines? I know the Grey Knights are all psykers, and blanks are rare rare, but it seems like a Blank Space Marine would be more useful; good against the Warp, but more durable.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

They're too rare to risk putting all that stuff that grows you into a space marine, since its not always 100% that a recruit survives.

edit: I'm sure an Inquisitor already tried that at some point before getting murdered for wasting such a valuable thing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Say, did Dark Heresy 2E ever actually come out? I kinda lost all interest around when they caved to the online forums and started just making it OW Without An Army.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Night10194 posted:

Say, did Dark Heresy 2E ever actually come out? I kinda lost all interest around when they caved to the online forums and started just making it OW Without An Army.

It's not out yet, but they seem to be done with the public comment part of it and are presumably doing internal revisions. They went through ~6 different iterations, but it's still fundamentally a refinement of the old system rather than the exciting new rules clusterfuck that was the original beta document.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The old system or the OW system?

I still dislike OW and BC because it tends to reward highly focused characters instead of having a way to force you to take poo poo that doesn't apply to your optimized role. It ends up just feeling very... crunchy.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

FireSight posted:

The old system or the OW system?

I still dislike OW and BC because it tends to reward highly focused characters instead of having a way to force you to take poo poo that doesn't apply to your optimized role. It ends up just feeling very... crunchy.

OW system, which is a continuation of the original DH system. I considered the system in the original DH 2.0 beta the proposed "new system" but I can see that I probably should have defined my terms better.

And I don't really have an issue with that aspect of the OW system relative to the first iteration of the DH 2.0 rules. The drive to specialize was still there, and there's rarely anything more aggravating than being forced to take worthless speed-bumpy abilities with weird attribute requirements that are only tangentially related to what you want your character to do. To my mind diversification of capabilities should be encouraged by the gameplay itself, and I think as a setting DH is more supportive of that than its more combat-centric successors.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rockopolis posted:

Do Blanks ever become Space Marines? I know the Grey Knights are all psykers, and blanks are rare rare, but it seems like a Blank Space Marine would be more useful; good against the Warp, but more durable.

The Exorcists aren't blanks, but they are really difficult for daemons to see. They're also pretty hosed up with the whole "minor daemonic possession as a part of the creation process" thing.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Rockopolis posted:

It's possible, but Blanks are so rare that it's extremely unlikely to happen. If you were trying to do it in Deathwatch, I'd reconsider it if you want to stick to "canon" 40k.
That said, Exorcists are basically soul-less abominations in and of themselves, so look them up!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Depending on who's doing the writing I'm not sure they're so rare. Eisenhorn gathered like a hundred or three over the centuries. Why couldn't a space marine chapter either run into one or specifically seek them?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Rockopolis posted:

Read "The Emperor's Gift" by Aaron Demski-Bowden. There is a psychic blank Grey Knight in it, and it is also one of the best if not "the best" 40K novels ever written.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Uroboros posted:

Read "The Emperor's Gift" by Aaron Demski-Bowden. There is a psychic blank Grey Knight in it, and it is also one of the best if not "the best" 40K novels ever written.

The marine isn't specifically stated to be a blank, just apparently soul-less. Which could also mean shaking off daemonic possession.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Are you guys talking about the Inquisition henchman with no soul? He wasn't a space marine, or a blank. I don't recall there being any blanks in that entire book, much less one being a Grey Knight, which wouldn't even work considering how the book portrays squads working together psychically.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Are you guys talking about the Inquisition henchman with no soul? He wasn't a space marine, or a blank. I don't recall there being any blanks in that entire book, much less one being a Grey Knight, which wouldn't even work considering how the book portrays squads working together psychically.

Are we not talking about how
Hyperion is Zael from the Ravenor books. He's not a blank, though, he's a mirror.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

PantsOptional posted:

It's a pretty prominent character:
Hyperion is Zael from the Ravenor books.

Zael was always a latent psyker, never a blank. He hung out with Frauka all day, who was the blank in that group.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah, I remembered that immediately after posting. It was the only thing I could have possibly thought Uroborus might be talking about.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
A soul-less marine accepts the remains of one of Hyperion's dead comrades.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

VanSandman posted:

A soul-less marine accepts the remains of one of Hyperion's dead comrades.

This...it pretty clearly means he is a blank.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Rogue Trader chat over the last couple of pages got me drawing up an idea to try a Rogue Trader game with my game group. Basic premise I'm looking at is this: the PCs are high-ranking officers on a Rogue Trader ship that made a deal with the Iron Hands to get several squads somewhere the PCs don't really need to know about. Upon arriving on the ship, the Iron Hands captain pronounces the rogue trader in charge a coward and general detriment to the Imperium and executes him and the rest of his ranking officers, then turns to the PCs and congratulates them on their promotions and hopes that they will be more competent than their predecessors, as this errand is not for the faint of heart.

Is there a procedure for inheriting the title of Rogue Trader after the previous guy was executed by Space Marines? Or is it more "Adeptus Astartes said I'm the new Rogue Trader, therefore I'm the new Rogue Trader"?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Firstly, if that's your plot idea than that's how it works.

Secondly, a lot of the Astartes' political power comes entirely from 'Well, are you going to tell the 800 year old psychopathic murderer who takes joy in nothing but killing even moreso than most of his kind because he's a hosed up cyborg from a chapter of supercrazies he's wrong?'

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If the Warrant says "The holder of this warrant", then it's fine. If it's hereditary, they might need to do some minor forgery, but nothing major. If it's specific to the person... Eh, they've got a ship now. Just hope nobody asks to see him.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

Secondly, a lot of the Astartes' political power comes entirely from 'Well, are you going to tell the 800 year old psychopathic murderer who takes joy in nothing but killing even moreso than most of his kind because he's a hosed up cyborg from a chapter of supercrazies he's wrong?'

That was the premise I was thinking of rolling with, yeah. When the Iron Hands say you are now the Rogue Trader in charge, you are now the Rogue Trader in charge. Please direct all further questions to the captain's still-smoking bolter.

Funktastic Dog
Nov 8, 2011

by Ralp
What sort of creature's would Baal and it's moons have?

I've already got Fire Scorpions, but I need some more. They can be invented too, I'm just drawing a blank for ideas.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
I think they're mostly hereditary (by the fluff). So either it should have it a slightly different "Whoever holds this is totes in charge"-addendum, or your players should elect whoever looks the most like the dead boss to really work on his improv skills.

Naturally, the marines should then be spaced, to cover up the mutiny.

But even if all that is something your players would want to get into, it wouldn't really become relevant unless they ran into someone insisting on talking to the Rogue Trader in person, which doesn't seem likely to happen on a space marine murder-mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Is there a procedure for inheriting the title of Rogue Trader after the previous guy was executed by Space Marines? Or is it more "Adeptus Astartes said I'm the new Rogue Trader, therefore I'm the new Rogue Trader"?

Technically the Astartes has no actual authority to transfer the Warrant over. Typically the High Council of Terra grants it to an individual, who may or may not have the right to designate an heir. Of course, if the heir isn't already designated, or if maybe there is an heir or no allowance for such and the 800 pound psychotic cyborg says you're next, how hard could forging it really be? It's not like anyone might notice, especially people like wealthy and influential Rogue Trader dynasties, or Inquisitors, or...

Basically this is an excellent idea and you should run with it.